Disney to aquire Lucasfilm!

Etapi

I think this could be a good thing. Just about everything Disney has bought out, got better (just look at Marvel). Heck, when I was younger (cough) and loved the first three movies (the *real* first three, you know, Episodes 4-6), I used to be worried that actors like Mark, Harrison and Carrie would be too old to reprise their roles.

But with Disney at the helm, heck, they could use Pixar and the originals could come back.... or just look at how well Disney "de-aged" Jeff Bridges for Tron 2? There is a lot of animation "magic" behind Disney, and that mixed with Star Wars could only equal good things :)

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually excited about this as Disney has already been utilizing Star Wars at it's theme parks and what not. They might be more open to the idea of branching Star Wars out in a way that Lucas, who is more tired of the concept, wouldn't have. This could be an amazing new start for this franchise.

For $4.05 BILLION, you bet your **edit** they'll be branching out ;)

I'm excited too. This IP is GOLD!!! They made a very solid investment imo...one that will return well above the acquisition costs for decades to come. What they need to do now though, is hook a new generation on Star Wars. Not with a re-hashed 3D version of a 1977 movie, but with a fresh new expansion of the story.

PLEASE BE THRAWN!!!!

Imagine if they.....actually made a good movie, crazy i know but come on whats the worst that could happen?

The worst? For me it would be for them to wipe out 30+ years of a genre like Star Trek did with it's "re-imagining". That would kill Star Wars for me for good. Not saying it would happen. But then I never thought that the Star Trek movie would happen also.

Lets all remember that Disney is just the money/distributor of a new Star Wars movie. The studio making it will still be LucasFilm!! So you are not going to see Mickey Mouse jedi hero or anything like that.

Disney BOUGHT Lucasfilm as well. So yeah it is Disney. Just like when they Bought Marvel they have Marvel Films make the actual movies but it is Disney.

I just hope that GL will still have creative athority over Star Wars, I know many people were claiming that he ruined the prequal trillogy, but he is the original creator and the only person who can really say what is truely cannon or not. I'm scared to death that the SW franchise will become just another Disney cash Cow, who's story turns out worse than any bad fanfic due to the fqact that the story will now be written by marketing statisics now...........

I just hope this isn't the death of SW..........

Just remember Disney owns LucasFilm but LucasFilm is still in charge of Star Wars. It is the same people that have been working on Star Wars for the last 30+ years.

The worst? For me it would be for them to wipe out 30+ years of a genre like Star Trek did with it's "re-imagining". That would kill Star Wars for me for good. Not saying it would happen. But then I never thought that the Star Trek movie would happen also.

^ All my thoughts in one.

the new star trek movie is a alternate reality so its along side the original

I agree. I would prefer not to see a massive retcon of EU, but let's see what happens. We'll see how these new movies meld with Star Wars lore. Maybe they will end up being in the same movie continuity as the OT and PT with the EU being the alternate universe? Who knows.

Diverging "lines" of continuity seems the clearest path if these are not reconcilable with what there is. Two parallel lines.

Disney BOUGHT Lucasfilm as well. So yeah it is Disney. Just like when they Bought Marvel they have Marvel Films make the actual movies but it is Disney.

While Disney(Owner of LucasFilm) will have some input it will be LucasFilm whose staff is remaning the same that will be working on the movie. Disney isn't truly taking over the franchise the same studio that made Episodes 1-6 is doing 7-9.

Edited by LukeSaberRattler

I agree. I would prefer not to see a massive retcon of EU, but let's see what happens. We'll see how these new movies meld with Star Wars lore. Maybe they will end up being in the same movie continuity as the OT and PT with the EU being the alternate universe? Who knows.

I could get on board with that sure.

Considering Episode 7-9 already exist as the Heir to the Empire Trilogy, I dunno how they're gonna handle this.

Either way, easily the best nerd news of the year. About time Lucas finally gave the franchise away to capable hands.

http://news.yahoo.com/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd-195100740.html

The link tells the tale. Not sure what this will mean for SWTOR, but it does mean a continuing story for Star Wars fans.

I just hope Disney doesn't kill the lore and sticks to canon.

Disney are more likely to be sympathetic to the lore than Lucas was with the prequels. Getting it away from the neckbeard can only be a good move.

I just hope that GL will still have creative athority over Star Wars, I know many people were claiming that he ruined the prequal trillogy, but he is the original creator and the only person who can really say what is truely cannon or not. I'm scared to death that the SW franchise will become just another Disney cash Cow, who's story turns out worse than any bad fanfic due to the fqact that the story will now be written by marketing statisics now...........

I just hope this isn't the death of SW..........

In Hollywoodland "consulting" means they pay you but they don't HAVE to do anything you say and oftentimes don't.

What to follow is to see if Disney keeps Kathleen Kennedy as Lucas head past 2013. It's pretty normal that during a company merger the "old guard" stays on long enough to wrap up current projects (for example, SWTOR and the 2 doctors), then the new company bids them bye-bye -- IF the new company wants to radically change direction or simply that the new company doesn't want any former CEOs hanging around (there can only be one emperor).

Ms. Kennedy is indeed old guard for Lucas, co-producer of original Indiana Jones, etc. No need to be scared -- until and unless she's no longer there. Then all bets are off.

Edited by Stryklone