Needing Items while grouped

I run as a member of the team, if I'm with friends then yeah I'll let them take what they need.

But as far as group finder is concerned, I'll defiantly pick myself over some random. If this was RL I'm sure most people would rather take something they need, or have a use for, then to let someone completely random have it. If not, oh well that's you loss. But I'm not about to let myself lose out on something I can use.

I'd prefer not to post my names, because I'm not a selfish player. But if I even run into some people who call me that I could really show them how selfish I can be :rolleyes:

You're entitled to do as you have done. Bioware doesn't have a policy regarding your looting habits. Their policy is if need is enabled for you, it's your right to roll need.

However, it's also your reputation that will suffer for your actions. Do you really want to reach max level and be turned away from guilds and groups because people remember you as the ****** "that ninjaed their ****"? Just keep that in mind.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a question. if you do do fp's etc to get gear. then where does the planets comms go. rather than taking something away from another player for you companion you could use the planet comms to gear out your companion

NEED is not intended for companions, ever.

You can ASK if you wish to break this social convention, and your asking first shouldn't result in outrage. Different people have different ideas about what "need" means, but your idea is one of a very small minority. Needing for something your character can't wear, is more heinous than double-dipping chips, pooping in urinals, or putting the entire "take a penny" basket by the register into your purse.

By now this thread should have informed everyone of the social convention. There's not even any controversy here, it's pretty well set as a normal social convention in MMOs that NEED is intended for your character (and specifically, the one in the group, not an alt or companion)

Thats your opinion, and I'll respect that. But I don't run group finder on my class missions therefore my companions do mean something because if they're not geared then it gets harder.

I appreciate all the insight on this, it helped me see why some people think its rude. But as far as the unspoken rule goes I'm not to concerned about it. If me or one of my companions can use it, and its better then what is equipped already then I'm going to need it. The option is there for that reason. Again thanks, I'll stick to my play style and y'all stick to your's.

No I'm not entitled to it, there's a roll for that exact reason. If I NEED it for my companion I'mma select NEED. It might be selfish to some but I gotta gear with better stuff somehow. The only time I ran into this problem was on group finder. So, I reckon I will be a selfish player. You can't make nice with everyone, or you won't get anywhere.

Have fun getting votekicked out of every FP and put on everyone's ignore list

whats funny is i was doing a FP and playing a shadow Igot vote kicked for rolling need and won on 2 will/end crit armor and boots and then drops a double blade saber because the group was 3 friends and 2 were shadow tank and sage when i roled need on the saber they said i was greedy. Was i wrong to need my one up grades. I though thye were wrong but I like to here what the consensis is while the topic is open.

Well I am going to ask next time, but I will still probably need it. But like I posted earlier, I am always willing to make trades for someone who needs it for their personal character.

so.....if you're going to need on an item only to give it away anyways if you win the role and another person needed it...why bother needing on it at all in the first place? >_>

whats funny is i was doing a FP and playing a shadow Igot vote kicked for rolling need and won on 2 will/end crit armor and boots and then drops a double blade saber because the group was 3 friends and 2 were shadow tank and sage when i roled need on the saber they said i was greedy. Was i wrong to need my one up grades. I though thye were wrong but I like to here what the consensis is while the topic is open.

No, that one's fine - if they needed the stuff you won, they could have rolled need and been in with an equal chance. If they didn't, they can't complain that you got it all. They also can't complain if you roll need for another item that's clearly for your AC. Sometimes people just have legitimately lucky runs and others need to learn to deal with that.

OP there is nothing at all wrong with needing IMHO. In a pug the only thing anyone should be rolling is need esp at lower lvls when everyone needs the creds unless you have a high lvl alt you can bank roll your low level with. Besides if you are pugging you are probably there cuz you need xp or money from drops not just soley to have fun. If you lose out on loot cuz someone hits need and you hit greed its your own fault.

OP there is nothing at all wrong with needing IMHO. In a pug the only thing anyone should be rolling is need esp at lower lvls when everyone needs the creds unless you have a high lvl alt you can bank roll your low level with. Besides if you are pugging you are probably there cuz you need xp or money from drops not just soley to have fun. If you lose out on loot cuz someone hits need and you hit greed its your own fault.

Credits are earned so much more easily by questing versus FP's. Taking an upgrade from another player simply because you want the 2,000 credits it will sell for is utter garbage. Also, pug FP's are generally slower for xp than solo questing, just to help educate you on that bit of gameplay as well.

Thats your opinion, and I'll respect that. But I don't run group finder on my class missions therefore my companions do mean something because if they're not geared then it gets harder.

I appreciate all the insight on this, it helped me see why some people think its rude. But as far as the unspoken rule goes I'm not to concerned about it. If me or one of my companions can use it, and its better then what is equipped already then I'm going to need it. The option is there for that reason. Again thanks, I'll stick to my play style and y'all stick to your's.

No I'm not entitled to it, there's a roll for that exact reason. If I NEED it for my companion I'mma select NEED. It might be selfish to some but I gotta gear with better stuff somehow. The only time I ran into this problem was on group finder. So, I reckon I will be a selfish player. You can't make nice with everyone, or you won't get anywhere.

Need on my gear for a companion, I'll ask you to give it to me if it's my class.

Refuse and you will get vote kicked + get an ignore.

And yes I have made my group vote kick someone after the fourth boss in KP SM for needing on gear they couldn't use themselves.

You wanna be a douche? Go ahead. But you can forget about the xp and black hole comms (if it's end game).

I imagine that you, like the OP, are on many ignore lists. Not only is Needing for a companion generally considered rude and needing for stuff you'll just pawn near criminal, it's also counterproductive. It just escalates so that everyone clicks need on everything, and nobody gets the stuff they actually do need.

Instead of a semi-organized division of gear, you all end up with random junk that you may or may not be able to use. You may get a few extra credits in the bank, but you'll end up in crummy gear.

I imagine that you, like the OP, are on many ignore lists. Not only is Needing for a companion generally considered rude and needing for stuff you'll just pawn near criminal, it's also counterproductive. It just escalates so that everyone clicks need on everything, and nobody gets the stuff they actually do need.

Instead of a semi-organized division of gear, you all end up with random junk that you may or may not be able to use. You may get a few extra credits in the bank, but you'll end up in crummy gear.

Exactly! The more people hold to the social contract, the sooner everyone gets what they want.

A guildie and I were running HM FPs last night. We got the foundry. At the final drop, 2 other players needed on the loot - a Sith Warrior boots token. The only one who actually needed it was a Juggernaut DPS. The player who won it was a Bounty Hunter, so not only was it not for them, they didn't even have a companion who could use it. When we asked them why, they said "comp". As if we wouldn't know!

So, me and my guildie said, hand it over to the other guy or we'll kick you before we click on the console and you won't get your BH comms. You can't do that in every FP, but in this case it worked out nicely :cool:

Our guild doesn't, but players should be aware that some guilds run blacklists of players who are ninjas, abusive etc. One act of ninjaing and you could have dozens of players ignoring you, plus lots of potential spots in guild run ops denied you. It really is not in your best interest to pull this sort of crap for a few credits, especially since you can make equivalent money in about 10 minutes doing dailies, or even less if you craft.

Edited by Ms_Sunlight

You say you're in it to win? There is no win. Nothing is scored. It is about advancing through the next level and the storyline. If you don't do this with you're Guild mates, you shouldn't do it in PUGs. Cause like it was mentioned, when you hit 50, you are going to be SOL when going into Ops and HM FP's to get really good gear because you will be blacklisted. Your companion is not a need. It is a greed. Get over yourself and be considerate to others in FPs. I have never needed for a companion and my companions do just fine with gear from mission completions or what my other toons make them. Sounds like you just don't want to spend creds or resources on your companions and want to try to gear them the easy way. You should quit that now before you are unable to do it at all.

If you want established rules then form your own group and establish set rules. Personally I only need on blue or green if its a nonclass item. On the junk drops heck yea im gonna hit need on every single 1 cuz I've had way to many ppl do the same when i first started playing the game and I didn't get crap so now I just need on everything but others class drops.

If you want established rules then form your own group and establish set rules. Personally I only need on blue or green if its a nonclass item. On the junk drops heck yea im gonna hit need on every single 1 cuz I've had way to many ppl do the same when i first started playing the game and I didn't get crap so now I just need on everything but others class drops.

You're kind of making my point. It's not just within a specific group, but across the entire game. If the entire community took your attitude, the gear distribution system would be a mess.

Needers seem to think that everybody else is a sucker for obeying the social contract, and that you can "win" by flouting it. Law of the jungle, and all that. And to a certain extent that is true - for a time you may come out ahead. But fortunately, Bioware also built tools to punish people who break the rules.

But I needed it for my companion, therefore I needed it. I don't run through the whole game with 1 guy I found in group finder, I can't worry about him and if what I do is considered rude or breaking an unwritten rule. Because if it was a big deal, it wouldn't be unwritten. I'm playing to win, so I reckon if that means stepping on a few people's toes so be it. I'm gonna try and make me and my team the best possible.

Then you will find people will not group with you anymore once they find out you think that way. If a Player needs it for himself then they should get it, companions come in second. You will earn yourself a reputation real quick and it wont be a good one. If I saw you do that I wouldn't group with you again.

Can you please list your character names and server so I can go ahead and ignore you. Anyone with that attitude get's immediately kicked from any group I'm in and put on ignore.

I'd really like to know why its SUCH a big deal for me to need a few items while I'm grouped up? Seriously, if I need 1 item a whole flashpoint SOMEONE is whining. Last night on my Sith Warrior we ran Athiss, after the final boss he dropped a orange modifiable pistol. I have two companions who could use that, so I needed it.

It was SUCH a big deal, and I didn't even win the roll. I didn't care, I can go back and do it again. But seriously, if I need it why should I have to explain myself to 3 or 4 other people just because they needed/greeded it also? They interrogated me like a DEA officer would a drug mule :rolleyes: People need to get over it I think.

the only companion that you have that uses aim is a companion you get way down the line. there isnt even a pistol that drops imp side that has cunning on it.... so you were needing something obsolete for your companion anyways. you are out of line. you always ask to need something outside of YOUR gear.

Can you please list your character names and server so I can go ahead and ignore you. Anyone with that attitude get's immediately kicked from any group I'm in and put on ignore.

Yea me too, I don't want to group with some like you...not you Darkloardiceman lol I can also tell my guild your name so they dont end up with you either.

This has probably already been said a thousand times already but here goes again just for those people that cant seem to understand it

You NEED for Yourself ! NOT your Companions or an Alt of yours ! :eek::eek::eek:

You Greed for your Companions and Alts NOT NEED

why is this so hard for people to understand

This has probably already been said a thousand times already but here goes again just for those people that cant seem to understand it

You NEED for Yourself ! NOT your Companions or an Alt of yours ! :eek::eek::eek:

You Greed for your Companions and Alts NOT NEED

why is this so hard for people to understand

Because the OP is a greedy jerk who doesnt care as long as he gets what he wants.

the only companion that you have that uses aim is a companion you get way down the line. there isnt even a pistol that drops imp side that has cunning on it.... so you were needing something obsolete for your companion anyways. you are out of line. you always ask to need something outside of YOUR gear.

/thread

The OP is obviously needing out of habit or bad manners.

As if it's not bad enough that he needs on loot that he doesn't actually need for himself, he is also needing things that not even his companions can use. That's not "I have the right to roll on all loot", that's "I don't give a f*(&( about other people, I just care about myself".

But I needed it for my companion, therefore I needed it. I don't run through the whole game with 1 guy I found in group finder, I can't worry about him and if what I do is considered rude or breaking an unwritten rule. Because if it was a big deal, it wouldn't be unwritten. I'm playing to win, so I reckon if that means stepping on a few people's toes so be it. I'm gonna try and make me and my team the best possible.

FYI, OP, that "1 guy you found in group finder" that you can't worry about is someone who could've done OPS with you when you hit 50. You think he would ever again do anything with you? Nope. Do that to a large enough number of people and your Group Finder queues are going to get muuuuuch longer. And then, of course, it will be Bioware's fault - as it always is.

You are "playing to win" with what? Loot you can't even equip? Loot that not even your companions - who will eventually get better gear simply by doing quests - can use?

pfft...

If you want to get everything for yourself go play single player games. Skyrim is really good and no one will qq if you get everything to "make you and your team the best possible"

And since you are so proud of what you did, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem telling us your character's name and Server. Just as you have the right to need on everything, we have the right to ignore you. Less QQ for all of us :)

Edited by TheNahash