Needing Items while grouped

I personally think companions requirement of gear should be put on the 'allowed to need' because a gimped companion is a gimped player when doing dailies and solo-questing.

If this needs to be changed, then bioware needs to make companions' gear automatically level with them, that way, you would just need to worry about gearing yourself.

I've levelled 5 50's and never had a problem with companion gear just use the stuff you pick up and by some cheap crap of the GTN if they get a bit behind.

The first character will always be the hardest but with each character you level the next one will be easier.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think companions requirement of gear should be put on the 'allowed to need' because a gimped companion is a gimped player when doing dailies and solo-questing.

If this needs to be changed, then bioware needs to make companions' gear automatically level with them, that way, you would just need to worry about gearing yourself.

Nonsense, the biggest obstacle companions have is the AI not their gear

If you are running FP's your gear will be above average all game meaning com gear will be useless to you. Use your planet coms on comp gear and you will be more then fine all game. Buy your comp the best weapon or armor from the com vender for that planet and gear yourself with FP gear (thus only needing to "need" roll for your class and not comps)

depends who you are playing with, if the item is not usable by any other player you are with, then its not as big of a deal, but if you need a heavy armor piece for a tank companion, and you're taking it from a player who actually needs the item for tanking, its a big deal, and selfish to the other player

I'm playing to win,

If you are playing to win you are way behind the times if you are needing a HM flash point blaster

But just an fyi constant behavior like needing on companion loot can get you blacklisted by other players. Meaning they will not group with you. Behavior like like from one of my guildies will get them kicked from the guild.

There was a guy on my server that did that, he never gets ops anymore

If he never gets ops cause he kicked a person i find that highly unlikely, reason everybody in the grp has to vote for that kick and so far when this kind of situation happend everybody voted yes.

Ninjaing stuff for a companion is just sad esspecialy when there is class in the group that realy needs the item.

Edited by NrDLeipe

Needing for a companion without first asking is generally considered Ninjaing. Especially when using GF. If you don't at least ask or let the other know your intent, no one knows if you you are needing for a companion, off spec or to put on the GTN for extra money. Personnally, I'm not keen on people needing on such item, even if they ask. More often than not I have already greeded and there is a chance I could use for a companion as well. Or would like the oportunity to put on GTN. So in my book, if you are aksing, you are a polite ninja.

To not ask at all is a good way to get kicked from a group and from guilds. We are ALL playing to win. I would personally like to see the Need button fixed such that if you, not a companion, CANNOT use a particular item, then the Need button is not available. WoW eventually wisened up and impletented this feature, not sure if other MMO's have done so, but it was a very popular feature and greatly reduced the ability for people to ninja items they can't use only to put on the auction house. And when it comes to materials, get rid of the need button entirely. You needing on it robs me of the oportunity to make credits on it.

On a side note, with F2P out, I do tend to be a bit more lenient while running low level FPs such as BT, Essseles, Hammer Station or Athis, but have given people warnings and guidance on these unwritten rules. And yes, I have as a tank or healer stopped running a FP to kick someone for this kind of behavior.

Edited by Aberd

I have a policy for dealing with people who behave like the op has stated. You usually are very far into a FP by the time an attitude like this is apparent. I whisper to the other people to just wait until just before the last boss, then Kick the offender from the group. The offender has missed out on what is usually the best loot and has wasted all that time in the FP without getting credit for completion. This usually works fine because 90% of the time the offender is some moron DPS anyways that is easily replaced.

If he never gets ops cause he kicked a person i find that highly unlikely, reason everybody in the grp has to vote for that kick and so far when this kind of situation happend everybody voted yes.

Ninjaing stuff for a companion is just sad esspecialy when there is class in the group that realy needs the item.

I meant, he needed practically everything that dropped.

Gear for companions should be "greed" only. Especially on level 50 when you need him or her only for dailies.

It must be "greed" because a player in your group may need it for himself, and needs of other players > needs of your companions

The only case "need" for companions is possible, is if everyone else in the party agreed to it.

Even if no one can use the item, the rule applies. Maybe others want to sell it. They have the same right to sell it, as you - to give it to your companion.

Edited by Gelious

Ok, here's two situations I need clarifying for me. My partner and I play together, and therefore do Heroics and Flashpoints together (He's a trooper and I'm a smuggler)

Case 1: While running a Flashpoint, we got to the end and the final boss dropped a heavy armor Jedi robe. As it was better than the armor my partner was wearing, he hit Need and was granted it. He immediately put it on. However the Jedi in our group accused him of ninja-ing it, as it was a Jedi style item.

Case 2: We did a 2-person Heroic on Taris, and a guy asked to join our group, as he was soloing it and was struggling. We said yes. Everytime loot was dropped, he hit pass, until we got to the final boss. He dropped a purple customisable shield generator, which my partner needed. However the other guy also hit need, despite playing a Jedi Sentinel. My partner won and again equipped it, and the other player stormed off without a word. Were we obliged to give it to him as he passed on everything else? He never said anything throughout the whole time we were together.

Edited by ElyonRand

Ok, here's two situations I need clarifying for me. My partner and I play together, and therefore do Heroics and Flashpoints together (He's a trooper and I'm a smuggler)

Case 1: While running a Flashpoint, we got to the end and the final boss dropped a heavy armor Jedi robe. As it was better than the armor my partner was wearing, he hit Need and was granted it. He immediately put it on. However the Jedi in our group accused him of ninja-ing it, as it was a Jedi style item.

Case 2: We did a 2-person Heroic on Taris, and a guy asked to join our group, as he was soloing it and was struggling. We said yes. Everytime loot was dropped, he hit pass, until we got to the final boss. He dropped a purple customisable shield generator, which my partner needed. However the other guy also hit need, despite playing a Jedi Sentinel. My partner won and again equipped it, and the other player stormed off without a word. Were we obliged to give it to him as he passed on everything else? He never said anything throughout the whole time we were together.

1) Well, tbh yes. Although your parter had no intention of deliberately snatching equiptment from the other player, he did. A trooper doesn't even use the same stats as a jedi, so what advantage in stats he hoped to gain is beyond me. The other player was much more suited for the drop than your partner was. Your partner should have rolled greed.

2) No, you were not obliged to do anything. If the other player wishes to pass on other items, that's his/her business. Unless an agreement has been met by the whole group, there is no rule of bagseys on loot.

1) Well, tbh yes. Although your parter had no intention of deliberately snatching equiptment from the other player, he did. A trooper doesn't even use the same stats as a jedi, so what advantage in stats he hoped to gain is beyond me. The other player was much more suited for the drop than your partner was. Your partner should have rolled greed.

2) No, you were not obliged to do anything. If the other player wishes to pass on other items, that's his/her business. Unless an agreement has been met by the whole group, there is no rule of bagseys on loot.

that and and a jedi sentinal should never need on a power generator.

Ok, thank you very much for clarifying. :) We'll keep both of these in mind in the future.

A comp doesn't need high level endgame gear to do dailies, if you need to gear up your comp too much for dailies then you are probably just not good at your class, therefore you click greed on item rolls for comps simply because it's not a necessity to have.