Needing Items while grouped

Ok..

Look at it this way:

What would you do if there was someone in a PuG, Sorcerer heal spec needed on a bit of BH tank gear for their companion. A bit that you NEED. You'd be upset yeh? SO STOP NEEDING ON STUFF ****YOU**** NOT A COMPANION doesn't need.

Uh dude, I miss out on over HALF of the things I could use, because someone like a trooper needs a lightsaber, or jedi knight/sith warrior ONLY gear.

I don't complain about it, I move on, try to grab the next one. Do I think it's rude? No. Its part of the game, I'm sure he could use it somewhere so I'll let him. I'll run through it next time and try for it again.

Ok since you edited your post, I'll edit mine. I'm not going to cry in a corner over a game for one, and two, people like you are the exact reason why I will need any item that I can use.

Edited by Cross_Fade

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run as a member of the team, if I'm with friends then yeah I'll let them take what they need.

But as far as group finder is concerned, I'll defiantly pick myself over some random. If this was RL I'm sure most people would rather take something they need, or have a use for, then to let someone completely random have it. If not, oh well that's you loss. But I'm not about to let myself lose out on something I can use.

I'd prefer not to post my names, because I'm not a selfish player. But if I even run into some people who call me that I could really show them how selfish I can be :rolleyes:

Wow, while I defend your point on a very basic principle, you are basically at the root of what is wrong with humanity, even if it is a small representation of you in a pretend game. I truly hope you are a troll, and just love the attention. I'd be sad for you if this is your basic outlook on life :(

Uh dude, I miss out on over HALF of the things I could use, because someone like a trooper needs a lightsaber, or jedi knight/sith warrior ONLY gear.

I don't complain about it, I move on, try to grab the next one. Do I think it's rude? No. Its part of the game, I'm sure he could use it somewhere so I'll let him. I'll run through it next time and try for it again.

If you're now saying that then why not just do that in the first place. Just run it again with people that are for sure cool with you doing it. Just never need on stuff you don't personally need in a PuG FP. Companions DO NOT count in your personal needs. Yes you can do it but it's soo douche it's pointless to try.

Trust me when you hit endgame you will hate need whores as much as every other person. You don't see our perspective because it's all new for you. & if you are a vet then why the hell need for companion gear anyway.. just run it with a 50 mate & gear the comp that way.

Edit for the edit: Why people like me? People who have been through all the need whoring & standing up for the little guy who just wants to run the FP legit? What the hell kind of attitude is that in the first place? What the frak are you doing on a MP game if you're gona be a selfish *****?

Edited by Aedey

The way I look at it is this. You have the right to need whatever you think you can use. But, the other players also have the right to get upset with you if you need something for your companions that their PC also needed. Especially when social etiquette in games like this normally call for passing on items someone else needs for their PC/Main spec.

So, need away. But don't dare get upset that they're upset. If you're going to go against social etiquette, fine. But don't also act like you were a victim.

I'd really like to know why its SUCH a big deal?

I'm playing to win, so I reckon if that means stepping on a few people's toes so be it. I'm gonna try and make me and my team the best possible.

you anwsered your question. that's something called common courtesy. if you want to play like that it's fine, but prepare to get flamed/kicked from group alot if you're planning on doing it in end-game content.

If you're now saying that then why not just do that in the first place. Just run it again with people that are for sure cool with you doing it. Just never need on stuff you don't personally need in a PuG FP. Companions DO NOT count in your personal needs. Yes you can do it but it's soo douche it's pointless to try.

Trust me when you hit endgame you will hate need whores as much as every other person. You don't see our perspective because it's all new for you. & if you are a vet then why the hell need for companion gear anyway.. just run it with a 50 mate & gear the comp that way.

I've played to game for about half a year dude. It isn't all new to me, this was on my alt. And up until lately, the need stuff wasn't a big deal. And companions are a personal need to me. Douche or not, I need to keep them gear'd to don't I? Yes, I do. I already said thanks for the insight on the matter, but to each his own. I'mma do things my way, you go ahead and be the selfless, righteous person you are portraying. Thats your thing not mine. But I want my companions to be up there just as good as me. I'm not gonna pass on ORANGE gear that they can use. Thats just dumb.

I got a guild to do end-game with, and I'm friends with them so I'm not going to need something if they can use it faster, or whatever before I can. But as far as randoms in group finder are concerned, especially on sub-50 I gotta do what I gotta do to get gear. I'm not upset that they got upset, I just think its a little ridiculous for them to get upset that I needed it, even though they won the roll :rolleyes:

Edited by Cross_Fade

Then how about you do that with a high up friend? Why, for one, start a forum flame war & POINTLESSLY piss people off? If you are not a nub to this game you need to change that attitude quick smart. How about you tell me your name & server & I come give a taste of some need whore medicine? I bet you wouldn't like it.

It's not the way to do it. If you have a friend who can run you through it as a gear run do that. People like you are why PuGs have a bad name.

If you want orange BUY IT with the money from dailies at end game. Make it or sometihng. Any server on this game I can assure you, you can find someone who will make you stuff for the companion perfectly suited & in modifiable gear. Player gear & companion gear is often badly tuned for anything but that specific class. You'd be better off in crappier gear most of the time.

Edited by Aedey

As my Guardian, I need only things my character can use and that are better than what I've got on. Everything else is either greed or I'll ask the other players if they mind if I need for a companion.

If something I need gets needed by someone who can't use it, then I'll tell them they shouldn't have taken it, ask them to give it to me (or another Guardian who needed and beat my roll), and if that doesn't happen I'll ask the group to kick the other guy, or I'll leave.

As the tank, the other guy generally gets kicked.

If you want gear for your companions, either use stuff you find during quests, quest rewards, or ask your group during a Flashpoint if they mind you needing for a companion instead of yourself.

Then how about you do that with a high up friend? Why, for one, start a forum flame war & POINTLESSLY piss people off? If you are not a nub to this game you need to change that attitude quick smart. How about you tell me your name & server & I come give a taste of some need whore medicine? I bet you wouldn't like it.

It's not the way to do it. If you have a friend who can run you through it as a gear run do that. People like you are why PuGs have a bad name.

I didn't start a flame war, people who can in here calling me rude did. I'm not here to piss people off, but if they get mad then whose fault is it? I was just wondering why its such a big deal to get made when they won the roll. Thats all.

Also, you don't need to tell me to change my attitude. And really? I just told you people "need whore" me all the time and I don't care. None of my friends were on, which is what I used Group Finder.

Anyways I'm not here to piss you off, but if you get mad whatever. I said I respected all opinions and insight, but really is it called for the call me a douche bag? No. You don't know me, I'm one of the friendliest people you'll meet, but I also look out for me and my own because no one else is going to do it for you. That isn't rude. That doesn't make me a douche bag. I said if I won a roll and someone in the group wanted the item or wanted to trade for it, I'd more then likely be up for it. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I'm not greedy, I'm not rude, I'm not a douche. I just do whats best for me, but I will help someone out if they ASK.

As my Guardian, I need only things my character can use and that are better than what I've got on. Everything else is either greed or I'll ask the other players if they mind if I need for a companion.

If something I need gets needed by someone who can't use it, then I'll tell them they shouldn't have taken it, ask them to give it to me (or another Guardian who needed and beat my roll), and if that doesn't happen I'll ask the group to kick the other guy, or I'll leave.

If you want gear for your companions, either use stuff you find during quests, quest rewards, or ask your group during a Flashpoint if they mind you needing for a companion instead of yourself.

This. Thank you.

I didn't start a flame war, people who can in here calling me rude did. I'm not here to piss people off, but if they get mad then whose fault is it? I was just wondering why its such a big deal to get made when they won the roll. Thats all.

Also, you don't need to tell me to change my attitude. And really? I just told you people "need whore" me all the time and I don't care. None of my friends were on, which is what I used Group Finder.

Anyways I'm not here to piss you off, but if you get mad whatever. I said I respected all opinions and insight, but really is it called for the call me a douche bag? No. You don't know me, I'm one of the friendliest people you'll meet, but I also look out for me and my own because no one else is going to do it for you. That isn't rude. That doesn't make me a douche bag. I said if I won a roll and someone in the group wanted the item or wanted to trade for it, I'd more then likely be up for it. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I'm not greedy, I'm not rude, I'm not a douche. I just do whats best for me, but I will help someone out if they ASK.

Why do I not believe anything in that? If you're so friendly why continue to quote me & beat a dead horse. No-one on here has agreed with you so far. Maybe one person. If you want orange buy it. If you are impatient enough to not bother waiting for a friend (which I call BS as it seems as though you speak as though this has happened more than once) then this is not the game for you. Someone so friendly would ask about if anyone needed it.

Edited by Aedey

See, I don't ask for the items I need, or request a kick. And like I said, if someone ask me if they can have something I just won a roll for, I'd be more then likely willing to help. I'm not a selfish guy but they way I look at it, is if I can have ANY use for it aside from selling or REing, then I'm going to need it. If I just want to sell it or reverse engineer it, I'll greed it.

I appreciate all the insight on this, it helped me see why some people think its rude. But as far as the unspoken rule goes I'm not to concerned about it. If me or one of my companions can use it, and its better then what is equipped already then I'm going to need it. The option is there for that reason. Again thanks, I'll stick to my play style and y'all stick to your's.

No I'm not entitled to it, there's a roll for that exact reason. If I NEED it for my companion I'mma select NEED. It might be selfish to some but I gotta gear with better stuff somehow. The only time I ran into this problem was on group finder. So, I reckon I will be a selfish player. You can't make nice with everyone, or you won't get anywhere.

BW could solve the issue here by putting class restrictions on using "need" for an item so that people can't "need" for something that their character can't equip. Honestly though, it doesn't seem to come up all that often as, in 11 months, I've only had about 3 players "need" on something in a flashpoint or heroic that they can't equip without asking in group chat ahead of time whether it would be okay with everyone else if they "needed" on something.

Keep in mind, that flashpoints take the most time to run out of anything else during leveling. It takes the longest to find groups for that usually and when you're running pick-up groups, there's a much higher rate of failure. Plus, the loot drops are bound (except for the timer where you can trade it within the group after the flashpoint ends) so you can't get that armor and weapons on the GTN or anywhere except as a loot drop in the flashpoint...and the gear and weapons have good mods in them which the planet quest rewards usually don't have mods so it's usually a pretty valuable piece of leveling gear, at least for a few levels anyway. So beyond just the etiquette issue, the amount of time people spend to get that one chance for that orange piece of gear or weapon makes the tensions run even higher when someone who can't equip it "needs" it out from under them. Let's face it, if you needed on some green piece of gear in a 2+ heroic, no one is probably going to care.

More importantly, with group finder, they added a feature to the game where you will not be placed into a group through group finder with anyone on your ignore list. So while it's certainly within your right to say, "hey, sorry if most people think that's selfish, I gotta look out for myself so I'm gonna play the way I want", it's also the right of other players to easily throw you on their ignore list to prevent ever being matched up within you in a group again. Probably won't mean much as you're leveling, but if you have any intention of playing PVP or the end-game content, you might find some really long que times for PVP or hardmode flashpoints, etc. if you accumulate a lot of people blocking you from being grouped with them.

More importantly, with group finder, they added a feature to the game where you will not be placed into a group through group finder with anyone on your ignore list. So while it's certainly within your right to say, "hey, sorry if most people think that's selfish, I gotta look out for myself so I'm gonna play the way I want", it's also the right of other players to easily throw you on their ignore list to prevent ever being matched up within you in a group again. Probably won't mean much as you're leveling, but if you have any intention of playing PVP or the end-game content, you might find some really long que times for PVP or hardmode flashpoints, etc. if you accumulate a lot of people blocking you from being grouped with them.

This this this is what I am trying to say. You're screwing yourself by doing this.

Edited by Aedey

BW could solve the issue here by putting class restrictions on using "need" for an item so that people can't "need" for something that their character can't equip. Honestly though, it doesn't seem to come up all that often as, in 11 months, I've only had about 3 players "need" on something in a flashpoint or heroic that they can't equip without asking in group chat ahead of time whether it would be okay with everyone else if they "needed" on something.

Keep in mind, that flashpoints take the most time to run out of anything else during leveling. It takes the longest to find groups for that usually and when you're running pick-up groups, there's a much higher rate of failure. Plus, the loot drops are bound (except for the timer where you can trade it within the group after the flashpoint ends) so you can't get that armor and weapons on the GTN or anywhere except as a loot drop in the flashpoint...and the gear and weapons have good mods in them which the planet quest rewards usually don't have mods so it's usually a pretty valuable piece of leveling gear, at least for a few levels anyway. So beyond just the etiquette issue, the amount of time people spend to get that one chance for that orange piece of gear or weapon makes the tensions run even higher when someone who can't equip it "needs" it out from under them. Let's face it, if you needed on some green piece of gear in a 2+ heroic, no one is probably going to care.

I appreciate the long post, I really do. The way you put it, I probably will ask next time. But I will probably still need it. Bit if I win the roll and they want it/need it I will let them have it or trade it. Again thanks, you are the only person who didn't jump down my throat when trying to explain things, or argue me over needing items. :cool:

Edited by Cross_Fade

I appreciate the long post, I really do. The way you put it, I probably will ask next time. But I will probably still need it. Bit if I win the roll and they want it/need it I will let them have it or trade it. Again thanks, you are the only person who didn't just down my throat when trying to explain things, or argue me over needing items. :cool:

K, I apologies if I came across blunt. But this sort of behavior needs to be stamped out. Please see it from our POV..

I've seen this so many times, through me it comes out in the form of beating the behavior out of you. Trust me it ruins the game for everyone else. It's why I don't play anymore. If you have a 50 you can appreciate me saying there are a lot of nubs on here. I got to the point of 3 50s & just gave up on the communities.

Edited by Aedey

K, I apologies if I came across blunt. But this sort of behavior needs to be stamped out. Please see it from our POV..

I've seen this so many times, through me it comes out in the form of beating the behavior out of you. Trust me it ruins the game for everyone else. It's why I don't play anymore. If you have a 50 you can appreciate me saying there are a lot of nubs on here. I got to the point of 3 50s & just gave up on the communities.

I can deal with blunt. You came across as an ***. And I mean that, in the nicest way possible. Because I'm not a douche bag. But of course, I'm going to make you type long drawn out posts and troll you when I can with you posting things like, you're selfish, you're rude, you're a douche..etc. Because if you really knew me, you would know I'm none of those things. Well, not to an extreme extent.

I can deal with blunt. You came across as an ***. And I mean that, in the nicest way possible. Because I'm not a douche bag. But of course, I'm going to make you type long drawn out posts and troll you when I can with you posting things like, you're selfish, you're rude, you're a douche..etc. Because if you really knew me, you would know I'm none of those things. Well, not to an extreme extent.

I don't know you, no. But the way you where coming across in the early posts made you seem that way. I respect you for sticking to your guns. I meant in no way (Honestly) to call you any offensive names. I generalized the actions as douchy & that doesn't single any one person out.

All in all I'm trying to say this whole need for companions is a bad idea. If you choose to, then that is your choice, I would advise to not advertise it. This is a hot topic & if you go around openly saying that you'll get worse than me on your tail.

Edited by Aedey

Were you a sniper needing on heavy armor?

Edit: I re-read your post. A companion is not a need roll when a player needs it more. You should have asked politely if anyone needed it then asked if you could have it if not. Other people need that pistol for THEM not their OPTIONAL characters

Did the group down the boss without the OP's help? If the OP contributed to the kill, he has just as much right to any loot that drops as anyone else who contributed. All of the main spec>off spec and player>companion is nothing but trying to justify an attitude of entitlement.

But I needed it for my companion, therefore I needed it. I don't run through the whole game with 1 guy I found in group finder, I can't worry about him and if what I do is considered rude or breaking an unwritten rule. Because if it was a big deal, it wouldn't be unwritten. I'm playing to win, so I reckon if that means stepping on a few people's toes so be it. I'm gonna try and make me and my team the best possible.

You asked why it was a big deal and had good responses.

It sounds like what you meant was ... Justify this for me.

Consider a scenario where everyone has your attitude.

Everyone should just need on everything as everything has some use

Even if its just credits.

You might be better server playing a dungeon crawler where you don't

Don't have to share loot. I know it would make the rest of us

Trying to be considerate happy.

I have this rule to roll need on any gear I can use, if it is an upgrade and greed anything else. IF I want something for a companion, I will ask first.

If I meet a person that places companion needs ahead of player and rolls need for off-gear, I will ask once why that happened. If the answer is "because I play to win and my companion is laughing in your face", well... vote kick and ignore, followed by name and shame.

Do it in enough PuG`s and your queue times will get longer.. hours longer. You only brought it upon yourself.

Of course, you are perfectly in your right to roll need on whatever you feel like you want to. Just as I am to call vote kicks on whomever I feel like it. Or name and shame, for that matter. Or blacklist for one guild or more... you don`t find many that like ninjas nowadays...

Edited by Styxx

Ask me this question. Did you do the FP on your PC or PC and Companion? Let me guess "Only PC" so you should not choose need for companion. Especially if someone needs it for their PC. People are running FP for gear for PC gear, XP, and social points. You "ALWYAS" ask the group for the piece of gear before you hit need for a companion with an OK from the group. There is no need for players like you in this game or any other MMO if you continue to do what you are doing. End result you will never get any gear because you are on so many people's ignore list that you will never find a group. Look at the amount of people you pissed off in the forum thread. Your way of thinking better change because you are digging your own grave.

I'd really like to know why its SUCH a big deal for me to need a few items while I'm grouped up? Seriously, if I need 1 item a whole flashpoint SOMEONE is whining. Last night on my Sith Warrior we ran Athiss, after the final boss he dropped a orange modifiable pistol. I have two companions who could use that, so I needed it.

It was SUCH a big deal, and I didn't even win the roll. I didn't care, I can go back and do it again. But seriously, if I need it why should I have to explain myself to 3 or 4 other people just because they needed/greeded it also? They interrogated me like a DEA officer would a drug mule :rolleyes: People need to get over it I think.

This debate has gone on before. The general rule is that you only need on items that are direct upgrade to your toon in the spec they are currently in. After that, all else is fair game in terms of rolling greed.

It doesn't matter if your companion needs it. That is going to a pet, and you might be taking it away from someone who could actually use it in the group. It doesn't matter how important companions are in this game, that companion didn't help you complete the flashpoint nor did it help the person who might actually need it on their toon.

Same applies for off-spec. Just because you can tank doesn't mean you should take the time sith warrior tanking piece if you weren't tanking that flashpoint. If you queue'd as dps then you get to roll on sith warrior dps items.

This is the general rule of courtesy in the MMO world and in SWTOR. If you fight against it you're just being disrespectful the the community as a whole. If you ask AHEAD OF TIME BEFORE ROLLING if you can need it for a companion and no one has a problem, THEN AND ONLY THEN may you roll need on the item. You need to get over it and accept that this is an MMO and there are general rules of courtesy in a game such as this.

Edited by Lostpenguins

The thing is, you know full well that your actions in pick-up groups are unethical, rude and selfish - otherwise you wouldn't change your behaviour when you were with friends or guildmates. If what you were doing is really acceptable to you, do it in guild runs.

Its easy being 'nice' to your friends. What really speaks to your character is how you act towards strangers, and you have very clearly defined your own depth of character, or lack thereof, in this thread.

I have a request though - if you still think going against the unwritten rules of the community is ok, and you say you really aren't a bad person - have the common decency to explain your intent to roll need for companions at the start of the next group finder mission you do, so at least your fellow players will know what to expect. Unless, of course, you think they might not like your approach.

Be honest at least.