What's the staus on Same-Sex Romances?

GregSJ

This is the point we've been trying to make clear in multiple threads. We're not demanding that it be put in right now, we're not demanding they tell us every detail there is to know about it with an exact date and time of when we can expect to see it. We're just seeking clarification on a piece of content that we're interested in. It's exactly the same as people who make topics on F2P or a new warzone or the SSP. Yes we might not be as large in number as some of those crowds, but it doesn't mean we're not as interested in finding out what news we can.

Unfortunately a lot of people see a thread about SGRA's and assume that we're shouting about how we want it now, or complaining about it not being in yet or demanding to know every single detail about it. Time and time again we explain the situation and never seem to make any headway with the people we're trying to explain it to. Occasionally one of us might get a bit snappy, it's hardly surprising though if you see the sheer number of trolling or offensive or downright abusive posts we've had to tolerate repeatedly.

Yeah i see where you're coming from... I posted in this thread because i noticed when things started to go south and i wanted to point out that you can just roll some of the punches the people against it are throwing. I feel these threads will get better feedback and support if the people for it dont see it as "Discimination" whenever someone doesnt share their views, heck it happened to me! and i never said 1 negative thing about the topic.. so my point was proven. I know some people post rude things.. but like another poster said its easier to report it and move on and keeping pushing for what you guys want.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the point of the thread. We don't know if we should believe Gabe's interview or not since Hood's tweet linking to it was removed, so we're seeking clarification of if we should expect this content with Makeb or not.

considering the over all lack of information or specifics we have about the entire Makeb package I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to clarify this single issue... probably won't find out about it until all the info is released when it hits PTS or whatever

if we get any sort of answer about SRGs at all I'd expect just another "it's coming soon" type canned response that doesn't lock them into any specifics so they don't look like fools later if or when it changes... the fact the statement was removed or whatever would lead me to believe it either was made in error or that they just don't want it made yet because they are unsure if it will definitivly happen at this point

Edited by Liquidacid

I think the thing that is bugging people more than anything is the lack of confirmation, and why. When at first they say "yes, it's coming this year" and then near the end of the year it's "sorry, we have no information to give at this time". Just something like, "it hasn't been canceled, just delayed" or "we currently don't even have it on our timetable anymore because of changes". It just feels like somebody has the answer but they're withholding it for whatever reason. I'm curious what the reason is, I can't really think of any positive ones. At best it's as you suggest, they just haven't ironed out enough of the details yet.

It's not the only features that's been treated this way. Since we've seen a slight increase in developer communication, I hope this will be changing soon.

Yeah its understandable for sure... we all want updates on the features we are looking forward to the most.

To be honest IMO.. I think Hood toggles arent important either. I understand alot of people ask for this and part of the frustration is the fact that its been requested for sooo long but if theres 1 group for it, 1 against it and 1 group that doesnt give a damn then yes... it also applies.

Well I'm for it, but if romance of any kind wasn't in the game I'd be fine with that too. So woop I'm in 2/3 groups:)

They didn't say it will be in with Makeb. One guy, highly placed in the studio hierarchy but about as removed from story development as one can get, said that he thinks it may be in with Makeb, but he's not really sure because that isn't his area. All that he was able to confirm is that it is actually in developmemt and as of August was far enough along that it made sense to talk about it "just being a matter of getting it on the schedule".

That was Gabe Amatangelo, who is the Principal Lead PvP Designer, speaking in a video interview with swtor-life.com at Gamescom, in Cologne, Germany last August. That was more than two months ago. Just over one month ago, Lead Writer Hall Hood tweeted that for those wanting to know about SGRs, here's the official word from Gabe A. linking to that same video interview... BUT that confirming tweet was withdrawn without explanation the same morning.

So, no, they haven't told us anything solid since March, and all they really told us then was that it was coming with other story content, this year.

There are a slew of questions about how same-gender romantic content will be implemented that have never been addressed at all, and some of these are older than the announcement over a year ago that SGRs would be in at some point post-launch. Players have reasons other than curiosity for asking these, but the subject has been consistently – and I would say deliberately – passed over for discussion.

Further, you see threads like this popping up on General Discussion not because of long-time posters and commenters following the subject, like I do, but because the only discussion permitted is restricted to a single thread on an obscure side forum where no one who doesn't already know it is there will find it.

Now, when a thread like this does pop up, bet your sweet caboose I am going to post in it and discuss the subject and keep it visible for as long as I can. Because I think it is a lot more difficult to ignore a subject when it is visible, and because people aren't finding the discussion that's been running since January 17 on Story and Lore, and because some players have no idea that this content has even been announced, much less is being developed.

This thread will likely be locked on Monday. It is only a quirk of chance that the originating poster opened it on a Friday evening that allowed it to run so long. But I don't think hiding the subject, or hiding discussion of it, is a fair or helpful strategy. So, "official" thread or not, I mean to make the most of this one while I can.

I am all for LGBT rights in this country (I live in the US), including marriage, but don't understand why this is such a pressing issue in a videogame. There are lots of things that currently need to be improved in SWTOR, to keep it afloat and hopefully expanding next year, with more planets and class stories.

The romance conversations make up perhaps 2% of the entire story of a given character. Surely, it can't be that important relative to the rest of the game, including the addition of new systems like revamped space, pazaak, additional PvP maps and restructured areas (*cough* Ilum), etc. To insist otherwise is being unreasonably stubborn.

And, yes, there is a portion of the population, albeit immature, that would like to watch two cartoon women kissing on their computer monitor. Perhaps these people are unfamiliar with Google...

Edited by arunav

I am all for LGBT rights in this country (I live in the US), including marriage, but don't understand why this is such a pressing issue in a videogame. There are lots of things that currently need to be improved in SWTOR, to keep it afloat and hopefully expanding next year, with more planets and class stories.

The romance conversations make up perhaps 2% of the entire story of a given character. Surely, it can't be that important relative to the rest of the game, including the addition of new systems like revamped space, pazaak, additional PvP maps and restructured areas (*cough* Ilum), etc. To insist otherwise is being unreasonably stubborn.

Again, none of us are asking for it to be prioritized over anything else in development, we just want clarification of when we can expect it since there's some confusion surrounding that at the moment.

Who said that this is "such a pressing issue?" The person who started this thread was only wondering what the status was of content that had been promised since well over a year ago. No where did anyone say that Bioware needs to release it now, we're simply asking for information about it.

I think it is pretty funny that people are getting their panties in a twist because some people want this. I've seen these threads since the game launched and before the game launched. Everyone's definition of "fun and engaging" is different and people have no right to deny another person's idea of "fun and engaging".

Secondly, its not just the homosexual(not trying to be insensitive, just not sure the pc term to use) crowd that wants this. A lot of players have been supporting this from the start.

I personally am neutral on the subject, it wouldn't affect my game play either way, however if it were put to a vote I would vote "FOR" it seeing as how many people are interested in it.

I've been waiting for word on this since before the game was released. I'm very disappointed at the lack of progress on it. If they're doing anything about it at all, they're keeping it a secret.

To keep the discussion civil and myself from being banned, I will refrain from saying anything else :rolleyes:

I think it is pretty funny that people are getting their panties in a twist because some people want this. I've seen these threads since the game launched and before the game launched. Everyone's definition of "fun and engaging" is different and people have no right to deny another person's idea of "fun and engaging".

Secondly, its not just the homosexual(not trying to be insensitive, just not sure the pc term to use) crowd that wants this. A lot of players have been supporting this from the start.

I personally am neutral on the subject, it wouldn't affect my game play either way, however if it were put to a vote I would vote "FOR" it seeing as how many people are interested in it.

Thanks. :)

I want to point out that the content will be optional. No one is going to be tricked into it. You won't ever have to gay-kiss Corso to unlock HK-51. It will be there if you want it, and you can ignore it if you don't. That's why I don't get the strong opposition to it.

Also, to those who say it shouldn't be a priority, well, BioWare agreed with you which is why the game launched without it, and why everything added since launch, and everything that will be added between now and whenever they get around to this, already came first.

The originating poster isn't saying "we need this NOW!" He isn't saying "stop fixing bugs." He's not asking to be moved to the front of the line. He is simply asking whether it is possible for BioWare to give us a status update on a pending feature which we have not heard about in any official way since March.

How many threads have been on these boards asking for an update on Cathar, or HK-51, or the "secret space project" or hood toggles or pazaak or paid transfers? How many of those got locked every time they were raised? I don't see why asking about this content should get a thread locked. Especially when those breaking the Rules of Conduct aren't the ones asking.

I really hope this comes out, and being able to re-romance companions. <3

Once again, if you don't like it. Don't romance the same sex companion! Jeez people.

Or even choose your sexual orientation at character creation so homophobs don't get hit on... (Since it's sooo scary...)

And don't blame all EA on it, they are part of the Sims, and you can marry the same sex in those games.

I guess I'm not finished here just yet...

I wanted to say that I play this game for the purpose it was created: the story. I don't raid or PVP and I rarely do dungeons, none that don't involve a compelling story, so I, for one, want SGRA's above any new raid or warzone that I will never participate in. Hetero romance is only good for the fun and novelty of it, but I want to quest and run my character story with a possible real romance involved like in most any movie or game that has ever been made. That's how I want to experience this game.

Oops, I guess I'm the minority here. Oh well. Nothing new.

I guess I'm not finished here just yet...

I wanted to say that I play this game for the purpose it was created: the story. I don't raid or PVP and I rarely do dungeons, none that don't involve a compelling story, so I, for one, want SGRA's above any new raid or warzone that I will never participate in. Hetero romance is only good for the fun and novelty of it, but I want to quest and run my character story with a possible real romance involved like in most any movie or game that has ever been made. That's how I want to experience this game.

Oops, I guess I'm the minority here. Oh well. Nothing new.

Welcome to the club.

oh I know there's nothing that can be done now; I guess I'm just in a mild form of 'currently upset' status... maybe because it's growing close to the 1-year-mark of the game; I don't know...

I mean, it's not like this is the only 'mildly upset' issue I have. after all I can't play my Togruta sage, either :(

You're not alone there. I've been upset. I've been hateful and angry. Now I'm just slightly annoyed. It would help greatly if they treated this maturely and just say "Hey, this is what's going on with this." Instead of keeping us in the shadows, which is only making it worse. It makes me think that they really are more worried about their PR...

You're not alone there. I've been upset. I've been hateful and angry. Now I'm just slightly annoyed. It would help greatly if they treated this maturely and just say "Hey, this is what's going on with this." Instead of keeping us in the shadows, which is only making it worse. It makes me think that they really are more worried about their PR...

well it is a business so they probably do care more about their PR... but again they may just not have a solid answer yet... if no actual concrete decision has been made about when or if it's going to be added then coming on here and making a statement would be pointless and possibly damaging in that it would make them look bad... I mean they could come on and say "coming soon" again but that is not really any better than no answer at all if nothing solid has been decided yet

well it is a business so they probably do care more about their PR... but again they may just not have a solid answer yet... if no actual concrete decision has been made about when or if it's going to be added then coming on here and making a statement would be pointless and possibly damaging in that it would make them look bad... I mean they could come on and say "coming soon" again but that is not really any better than no answer at all if nothing solid has been decided yet

Yeah I know. I was merely trying to sob it up. It's just hard to believe that after it's almost been a year, their story department doesn't have a concrete plan with this yet. I fear what you say might be right, that this may never come and they'll just lead us along, which will be the worst thing about this. I'd actually respect them more if they did come out and say they weren't putting it in.

Piffle. They know their schedule til the end of the year. They know if this is on it or not. They know the mechanics of how it will be available, they know which companions. They just are not talking about it. Well, I for one see no reason to stop asking, every day if need be, until they do.

Edited by Uluain

Piffle. They know their schedule til the end of the year. They know if this is on it or not. They know the mechanics of how it will be available, they know which companions. They just are not talking about it. Well, I for one see no reason to stop asking, every day if need be, until they do.

just because they have a schedule or plan doesn't mean it's accurate or will happen that way and not be changed... there is a reason they don't post up the development schedule they use for public consumption... STO tried that with a calender which after having it be consistently wrong every single time and the players complaining about it they just axed it completely

Edited by Liquidacid

just because they have a schedule or plan doesn't mean it's accurate or will happen that way and not be changed...

That's why we're asking. At the Guild Summit in March it was said that the content should be in "this year", but with Mr. Erickson leaving, the move to Free2Play and their generally lousy scheduling, we were still wondering if "this year" was still valid. With Mr. Amatengelo's statements in the YouTube video interview (not in this thread, but the other thread, they're both looking very much the same), we're wondering if that's still relevant to "this year" or if Makeb and/or same-sex content has been pushed back to 2013.

I know you might be frustrated, but its in a developers best interest to not post those things publicly till they have a solid date in mind and are nearing that time frame.

Its damned if you do damned if you do.

They dont post anything, people complain about no info and lack of communication

They do post something and miss the deadline people complain about them not being able to keep the promise and release it when they said it would be done.