Unofficial RP Super-Servers

Ganden

I'm very interested in a "Super Server" - in other MMOs I've enjoyed the "RP SuperServers" from Landroval, to Faeblight, and MoonGuard + Wyrmrest Accord. It was my understanding that, from the size and amount of RP guilds, Sanctum of the Exalted would be the new "RP Super Server" for PVE.

It has many of the larger pre-launch RP-flagged guilds such as The Corellian League, Dark Disciples, Pax Imperius, Grey Jedi Order etc... and more, thus likely putting forth a formidable RP population both Republic and Imperial. Is there a reason that the current server was selected instead?

I also couldn't help but notice the sheer quantity of role-players (via larger role-playing guilds) that ended up on Sanctum of the Exalted. Regardless of the results of the servers chosen in this thread for this "super server" concept, Sanctum seems like the place to be for role-players. When it comes down to it, it's a matter of sheer numbers that are already in place versus a post on a forum attempting to will a concept into being.

While I have no doubt some people will see this thread and take it blindly at its word without doing any research on their own, we all know how small a fraction the forum population represents and what I'm describing is literally a fraction of that fraction.

It's not that I'm trying to rain on any parades here, but I am trying to be realistic, and also be wise about which server I choose as my home, and Sanctum is looking pretty good compared to the other choices. Regardless, I hope all the role-playing servers have thriving communities that each can be proud of, because that would just inspire future MMO developers to offer designated RP servers at launch as well.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea...we have a good amount of guilds here on Sanctum...and these ideas of a super server is kinda silly because you're just setting yourself up for obvious troll bait by stating you're the super server...not to mention you kinda throw other servers under the bus by saying this is the super server yet its kinda too early to really see how the guilds and people will react, maybe it'll be super maybe it'll be high drama high school. I suggest just saying at the moment No one is super because the communities havent been fulled set up for people to get to know each other.

Time will tell basically. Maybe Lord A will be the super server and the community will get together or maybe Lord A will empty out because of high end drama between guilds. Hell maybe the same for Sanctum

Edited by Bobinator

Oh? Then I must have a really strange interpretation of the following quote from the OP:

KISS :)

Ganden said that, as we actually provide server sections, forums, hub page, etc for all the RP servers that are labeled as such by Bioware. With that, we plan to provide equal support on the site for those servers and their populace. I believe that is what he meant by the statement.

SWTOR-RP is one site, and not the only one out there. As I see it, other servers will have active role players on it, and all the power to them. For anyone looking for a server to play on, I would advise going out and checking out what is out there.

Edited by Rapture

I for one like being on the so called super server. I've played other mmos where I wasn't aware of the unofficial super server, or in WoW, was on a random RP server.

I join an RP server because I want to RP- if there's barely any RPers on that server, it's more difficult to do so- even worse, the server is instead full of people who hate RP and make it their goal to join an RP server in order to loudly declare how much they hold the people there in contempt.

I'm sure that will still occur on our server, but if I can regularly walk the city streets and find people RPing, I can live with that... and I don't have faith in a half dozen RP servers all having decent RP.

I have more faith in an RP server specifically for RPers having it. I'm also not too worried about that server vs server thing- people have server pride regardless. I found Moon Guard, which is where I ended up, to be far, far more open to random RP over my old server, Shadow Council- which indeed had become nothing but cliques, because there was so little RP to be had, those that had it kept to themselves...

On the other hand, MG, I RPed with people all the time, including x-faction, and sure, there were guild divisions and the such, but I think that's unavoidable.

Anyway, I look forward to playing with y'all on Lord Adraas!

At the time, the "Unofficial RP server" for WoW was Argent Dawn. There was RP a plenty there and I had fun. Grant you, WoW does not have the richly storied past (And future) of Star Wars, but they did okay. RP is wherever you make it, in my opinion. I watched the exodus from AD in WoW and it did not end well. C'est la vie, onto the future!

Cant wait to receive my invite and be able to sign in.

As for the benefits of super servers, I play LOTRO and especifically looked for the unofficial RP server there, Landroval, its a fine place to play, and I am sure Lord Adrass and Jung Ma will be such places.

This is not Wow, and anything wow should be forgotten, awfull game, tried it, and wish I could have my money back :)

I also couldn't help but notice the sheer quantity of role-players (via larger role-playing guilds) that ended up on Sanctum of the Exalted. Regardless of the results of the servers chosen in this thread for this "super server" concept, Sanctum seems like the place to be for role-players. When it comes down to it, it's a matter of sheer numbers that are already in place versus a post on a forum attempting to will a concept into being.

While I have no doubt some people will see this thread and take it blindly at its word without doing any research on their own, we all know how small a fraction the forum population represents and what I'm describing is literally a fraction of that fraction.

It's not that I'm trying to rain on any parades here, but I am trying to be realistic, and also be wise about which server I choose as my home, and Sanctum is looking pretty good compared to the other choices. Regardless, I hope all the role-playing servers have thriving communities that each can be proud of, because that would just inspire future MMO developers to offer designated RP servers at launch as well.

I dont know about others, but as I see these Servers were chosen before the pre-launch, so when the invites started flying out people knew where to create their characters. I myself was searching and googling for it since 1 to 2 weeks.

Bioware placing arbitrarily the guilds on a server dosent mean that guild must remain there. Sign out, log in other server, level a bit and recreate the guild, done and done :)

Anyway, I am sure there will be more than one suitable places for RP, it all comes down to choice. But i saw the ammount of guilds that signed for the initiative, on swtor-rp site, and they werent few.

I am a little surprised you chose such un-kotor like names for the un/official RP servers. Ebon Hawke would have been MUCH much better for the "official super-server" as it is the name of the character's ship in Kotor.

And why is it, people never seem to hear about these polls for selections until AFTERwards? It's like with FFXIV, some obscure little community decided Besaid would be the main RP server and then everyone was a bunch of little sheep and was like OK! SURE!

I am a little surprised you chose such un-kotor like names for the un/official RP servers. Ebon Hawke would have been MUCH much better for the "official super-server" as it is the name of the character's ship in Kotor.

And why is it, people never seem to hear about these polls for selections until AFTERwards? It's like with FFXIV, some obscure little community decided Besaid would be the main RP server and then everyone was a bunch of little sheep and was like OK! SURE!

Well, the list of servers were only known now, and they made the decision before it was released, sot here was time to 'spread the word'. They chosed the alphabetical method I think.

Its the choice of a comunity, it dosent mean theres only 1 such comunity :) I am sure Bioware will let people RP everywhere, even on non-flaged RP servers ;)

But I must say, it take energy to manage and sustain guilds, and since they had the energy and will to coordinate before launch, top gather and make meetings, i am placing my bet in LA. Will roll in Jung Ma as well, to feel how the rp-pvp server is like.

It's kinda short-sighted to be deciding such things before you know all the server names. >.> But I guess if Bioware is going to hem and haw until the last minute, theres nothing really you can do...

I guess I'll go play on Adrass.... hopefully it wont be obnoxious and full of window-licking mouth-breathers like they had with Rift at launch. lol

I just hope my favourite names arent sucked up by the time I login tonight.

I dont know about others, but as I see these Servers were chosen before the pre-launch, so when the invites started flying out people knew where to create their characters. I myself was searching and googling for it since 1 to 2 weeks.

Bioware placing arbitrarily the guilds on a server dosent mean that guild must remain there. Sign out, log in other server, level a bit and recreate the guild, done and done :)

Anyway, I am sure there will be more than one suitable places for RP, it all comes down to choice. But i saw the ammount of guilds that signed for the initiative, on swtor-rp site, and they werent few.

Can you provide proof that these guilds have moved away from the locations being displayed in the guild search tool? Otherwise it just sounds like wishful thinking. Moving guilds at the last moment, especially large guilds, is not as simple as one person signing out, logging into another server, leveling a bit, and recreating the guild (as you suggest). Not unless you want to frustrate a lot of your members who didn't get the memo.

Using the search tool, I looked at the thirteen largest guilds (100+ members) that support role-playing in the U.S., and out of 2701 members that make up those thirteen guilds, 1851 of them were listed as being on Sanctum. 706 are on Vrook Lamar. Only 144 of them were on Lord Adraas, the supposed "super server".

Now, I'm not going to tally up all the numbers in my search criteria ( 3262 guilds matching: RP Type, English Language, US East (EST) or US West (PST) Timezone, Light Role-Playing or Heavy Role-Playing Level ), but it's hard to ignore those numbers from that sampling. And if you're hoping is to surround yourself with as many role-play friendly people as possible, choosing Sanctum as a home makes sense to me based on those numbers.

Sanctum was actually my first choice... I just had nostalgia butterflies when I saw Ebon Hawke. :p

Heh, I felt the same way. I'm sure this will sound goofy, but for the last 13 years my method of choosing a server has usually gone like this: Look at the names of the RP servers available. Pick the one that appeals to you the most. Like minded people will be there.

Good thread. Thank you !

I was targeting Ebon Hawk based on my own gut feel.

Interesting to see RP community trying to group around a specific server

My experience overall with RP servers has been decent - typically more mature folks - although always some obsessive folks who want to RP the "Grand Lord so-and-so" or that they are really a dragon in disguise or some thing

Hopefully we will have multiple good RP communities

SWTOR-RP has been around for awhile now. It has been promoted frequently within the old forums, but alas, not everyone is utilizing it.

Best of luck to folks on all RP servers. Trask Ulgo has been a blast so far and I only wish the same experiences for everyone else on their respective servers! :]

Edited by Lashknife

I'm rolling on the Ebon Hawk because it has the most RPish name to me. Also, lord adraas was pretty lame in Star Wars lore. I suggest everyone who has the gut feeling to roll on that server do so, and we will have our own spontaneous superserver. :D

Seriously, the population there is good and there will be plenty of people to RP with.

How are people figuring out which server has the largest number of RP guilds? Even when I go to the Guild Search, it doesn't offer a way to filter by server.

The decision was made with the cooperation of a large number of guild leaders who had signed up to SWTOR-RP and participated in an online voice meeting. Each guild leader then reported to us with which server they had been deployed to pre-early access. We added up the numbers and went about selecting a server that way.

There is a way to find out, but I have no idea how to do it. Perhaps someone else can help out with that :)

The decision was made with the cooperation of a large number of guild leaders who had signed up to SWTOR-RP and participated in an online voice meeting. Each guild leader then reported to us with which server they had been deployed to pre-early access. We added up the numbers and went about selecting a server that way.

There is a way to find out, but I have no idea how to do it. Perhaps someone else can help out with that :)

No. No you didn't.

Trying to gather the actually RP community up to one place is a good thing. As much as peope might hate these super servers in wow they where more or less nessassary in order to get any RP to happen at all considering the amount of RP servers that Blizzard put out. There isn't a large enough amount of RPers to manage to fill up 10 RP servers so spreading the population out on ten rather then collect them all on a few seems silly to me.

Especially since there will always be those who roll on RP servers to be with their friends or worse roll there to grief the RPers. If we have a large RP community these people won't matter as much as if we had many smaller communties instead. Now a Super server might not be needed at all for release here but I personally support trying to gather up all RPers to a few spots rather then let them spread out in all directions.

As for drama and arguments, after RPing in wow since 2005 I come to the conclution that these things always happen in every online community no matter how things are done. It's just something we have to learn to live with.

Edited by Adelaine

blarg, adraas adds another 100ms to my ping, good thing i don't need that for RP.

I'm kinda thinking it's good that a server with a lame name was chosen, I tend to think a lot of the 'Not an RPer but want to roll on an RP server for the community' people will gravitate more towards the servers with the cool names.

blarg, adraas adds another 100ms to my ping, good thing i don't need that for RP.

I'm kinda thinking it's good that a server with a lame name was chosen, I tend to think a lot of the 'Not an RPer but want to roll on an RP server for the community' people will gravitate more towards the servers with the cool names.

We can only imagine the craziness if a server with such an iconic name with the Ebon Hawk was chosen :confused: