Unofficial RP Super-Servers

Ganden

I would just advice the OP to let people use the guild search function here on swtor.com and add that to you're post if you wish to keep the community somewhat together from the start as far as you're own rp site/community goos.

By my own check I found out that most guilds whit my own preferences of play actually are on Trask Ulgo instead of this so called super server, that being European RP guild whit a "hardcore"tag preferring social game play.

if anything to keep role players happy were they are it would be better (still a bad idea tho) to classify each server by play style since thats also were most drama comes from, and we are a dramatic bunch ;)

down the line I suppose the rp community as always split up in to server groups and start to mud trow around the forums :p

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I always thought the idea of the RP -super-server waas more for games that do NOT allow PVE servers to be designated RP (ala LOTR).

Games that already include the RP tag on servers ..well...*shrugs*

Me - Im a heavy roleplayer in a light RP/welcome guild and the SW:TOR Gods assigned us to Benegen Colony!! (West Coast).

So anyone on Benegen - HELLO!! Be happy to help RP flourish on our home server and feel free to look myself up (Karmic is my main) and our guild - Dark Horizon! (sith side)

I look forward to RPing with all those who find BC their home and hope we can continue the RP on far into the future!! Good luck all!!

Edited by Koriani

Some communities call it a super-server, some call it a megaserver. In games with no RP servers, the label is "unofficial RP server". Personally I'm keen to call it Frank, because Frank is a nice name.

At the end of the day, the intention is always the same, which is this:

"We know from experience that RP servers are often filled up with folks who aren't really that interested in role-playing, so we want to try to get as many RPers in one place as we can."

It's not a mandate, not a proclamation of superiority and not a claim about who has the biggest number of heavy RPers, RP guilds or hawt Twi'leks in slave bikinis. It's just a "hey, lots of us are trying to gather here, maybe you'd like to come with" sort of deal. In some games those efforts fall flat, in others they've been a success. Both of those are somewhat subjective and only time will tell regardless.

Personally, I played on a "big" RP server in WoW and a "small" one in RIFT, just because each had the right community for my tastes. I'm rolling on Lord Adraas not because of the word SUPER~, but because I've gotten to know the community behind the effort and find them to be freaking awesome people who I'm looking forward to hanging out with.

Everyone should choose for their own reasons, find the server that's right for them and all will be well. :)

Some communities call it a super-server, some call it a megaserver. In games with no RP servers, the label is "unofficial RP server". Personally I'm keen to call it Frank, because Frank is a nice name.

At the end of the day, the intention is always the same, which is this:

"We know from experience that RP servers are often filled up with folks who aren't really that interested in role-playing, so we want to try to get as many RPers in one place as we can."

It's not a mandate, not a proclamation of superiority and not a claim about who has the biggest number of heavy RPers, RP guilds or hawt Twi'leks in slave bikinis. It's just a "hey, lots of us are trying to gather here, maybe you'd like to come with" sort of deal. In some games those efforts fall flat, in others they've been a success. Both of those are somewhat subjective and only time will tell regardless.

Personally, I played on a "big" RP server in WoW and a "small" one in RIFT, just because each had the right community for my tastes. I'm rolling on Lord Adraas not because of the word SUPER~, but because I've gotten to know the community behind the effort and find them to be freaking awesome people who I'm looking forward to hanging out with.

Everyone should choose for their own reasons, find the server that's right for them and all will be well. :)

Well said.

Well, there's two points I feel should be made:

One, most of the RPers on SWG flocked to one single server because there were no official RP servers in SWG. I feel like those are quite different circumstances in that people were more compelled to go to that one server, as there were no alternatives to it that were clearly designated for RP.

Second, there seems to be some recurring presupposition in this thread that server populations on RP servers will be measured in RPers in proportion to non-RPers. We can't definitively say that the experience will mirror WoW here for two reasons:

One, Blizz never even once attempted to define what a roleplaying server was in server selection, whereas in TOR the server types are explained in the server selection screen. Two, Blizz absolutely did not enforce roleplaying on roleplaying servers, and there's no telling whether or not Bioware will be more willing to enforce those rules.

It was because of those reasons that I, myself, actually tried to designate a "superserver" in WoW many, many years ago, long before Moon Guard ever opened. But again, those were different circumstances; it simply can't be said this early on if this type of thing is really necessary until we see what amount of non-RPers we will have on RP servers.

I understand people might have their guard up over how the RP servers will turn out due to past experiences with other MMOs, but for all anyone knows, the proportion of RPers relative to the server population could be the same across all servers and most of the people who play on those servers will RP. We won't be able to tell until well after release.

All I know is that I find RP elitists and drama-mongerers to be very tired and I try to avoid them whenever they reveal their clues. They tend to be on the servers with the highest RP population.

Edited by Antinate

I haven't actually seen any of this drama-mongering from the swtor-rp folks.

I'm honestly grateful that they started this thread, because it was one of the first questions concerning my friends and I as we prepare to deploy in-game.

I honestly don't see why this is such a controversial issue.

Bioware has made an official statement, unfortunately lost to the old forums, that stated they would not be enforcing any role-playing rules.

They did indeed, and it might be worth mentioning elsewhere.

The majority of games go this way. It is also the justification for some games not having labeled RP servers. I actually prefer non enforcement. There is allready enough roleplay drama with beliefs that one way ("mine" usually) is better than another having a ruleset only pushes to the margins those that want to do things differently, while using moderation resources that may be needed elsewhere.

Ok, so I've read a bunch of responses here but I'm missing something. The one thing that I thought of (and sorry if you already said it, if you did consider yourself backed) was that the whole selection of super-server doesn't make sense.

The post says "Oi! look at these 4 servers we selected as super-servers. But we'll also spend JUST AS MUCH TIME on the others"

...then why nominate super-servers in the first place?

Some general advice for SWTOR-RP.com: KISS.

Ok, so I've read a bunch of responses here but I'm missing something. The one thing that I thought of (and sorry if you already said it, if you did consider yourself backed) was that the whole selection of super-server doesn't make sense.

The post says "Oi! look at these 4 servers we selected as super-servers. But we'll also spend JUST AS MUCH TIME on the others"

...then why nominate super-servers in the first place?

Some general advice for SWTOR-RP.com: KISS.

That's really not what they said.

They just said they (the website)wouldn't exclude anyone for not being on their designated servers of choice.

That's really not what they said.

They just said they (the website)wouldn't exclude anyone for not being on their designated servers of choice.

Oh? Then I must have a really strange interpretation of the following quote from the OP:

Despite these selections, roleplayers should be aware that SWTOR-RP supports roleplay on all RP servers. We will not be focusing our work on only the super-servers, and we have every intention on working with every other RP server in The Old Republic.

KISS :)

The thing that hurt RP on WOW was the creation of a "super-server" with Moon Guard. I'd strongly advise against repeating that mistake.

I fully support it. The WoW RP servers were already ruined. The population of roleplayers dwindled on every server to the point of insignificance. They couldn't find RP anymore, and that is why they chose to congregate on a single server. BioWare have already stated they will not police RP servers. We're on our own, and by designating a megaserver we can ensure we outnumber the trolls and those who immigrate because "their friends play on it" or "they like the mature community". Roleplayers should be able to find RP on RP servers.

Edited by Fandall

I'm very interested in a "Super Server" - in other MMOs I've enjoyed the "RP SuperServers" from Landroval, to Faeblight, and MoonGuard + Wyrmrest Accord. It was my understanding that, from the size and amount of RP guilds, Sanctum of the Exalted would be the new "RP Super Server" for PVE.

It has many of the larger pre-launch RP-flagged guilds such as The Corellian League, Dark Disciples, Pax Imperius, Grey Jedi Order etc... and more, thus likely putting forth a formidable RP population both Republic and Imperial. Is there a reason that the current server was selected instead?

http://www.swtor.com/guilds/search?shardName=he1078

For some demographics on the assignments

How do you search guilds by server, like above. I looked at the options on the search guilds page and there is no option to define specific servers.

I fully support it. The WoW RP servers were already ruined. The population of roleplayers dwindled on every server to the point of insignificance. They couldn't find RP anymore, and that is why they chose to congregate on a single server. BioWare have already stated they will not police RP servers. We're on our own, and by designating a megaserver we can ensure we outnumber the trolls and those who immigrate because "their friends play on it" or "they like the mature community". Roleplayers should be able to find RP on RP servers.

Agreed. I also felt that Moon Guard wasn't a detriment to WoW's roleplaying community, but a symptom of its demise. The creation of a superserver doesn't hurt roleplaying communities.

SWTOR has attracted and will attract an plurality of laypeople who don't know what roleplay is and I suspect that without the coordination of a superserver, finding RP would be an immense challenge.

Go Lord Adraas! ^^

Edited by TheHarmless

Agreed. I also felt that Moon Guard wasn't a detriment to WoW's roleplaying community, but a symptom of its demise. The creation of a superserver doesn't hurt roleplaying communities.

SWTOR has attracted and will attract an plurality of laypeople who don't know what roleplay is and I suspect that without the coordination of a superserver, finding RP would be an immense challenge.

Go Lord Adraas! ^^

*waves his Lord Ardraas pennant in support of this message*