Unofficial RP Super-Servers

Ganden

How are people figuring out which server has the largest number of RP guilds? Even when I go to the Guild Search, it doesn't offer a way to filter by server.

In my case, when I go to Pax Imperius's guild page on The Old Republic Guild Launch page, being that it is my guild, there is a link that pops up that does the search for all the guilds assigned to Sanctum of the Exalted. I cannot create a search for the other servers, but I know that my guild is going to have plenty of good RPing company on that server.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blarg, adraas adds another 100ms to my ping, good thing i don't need that for RP.

I'm kinda thinking it's good that a server with a lame name was chosen, I tend to think a lot of the 'Not an RPer but want to roll on an RP server for the community' people will gravitate more towards the servers with the cool names.

However, the decision of picking a super-server based on first-alphabetical is also a bit strange, as any 'Not an RPer but want to roll on an RP server for the community' types are going to see Lord Adraas as the very first east coast listing and may not spend time looking any further. Server listings are alphabetical by default, and Lord Adraas is the only east coast RP-PvE server on the first page.

Usually RP communities shy away from first-alphabetical for just this reason, so I'm really surprised this method of choosing was picked. I suppose it was done this way for simplicity rather than security.

Especially since there will always be those who roll on RP servers to be with their friends or worse roll there to grief the RPers. If we have a large RP community these people won't matter as much as if we had many smaller communties instead. Now a Super server might not be needed at all for release here but I personally support trying to gather up all RPers to a few spots rather then let them spread out in all directions.

This is why Bioware has a small group of role-play oriented servers, accounting for approximately 20% of the total number of servers. (Check it out) The idea that we roleplayers are not congregated into "a few spots rather then let them spread out in all directions" is not appropriate in this case.

My main question is sending as many people to a super server, are the odds of creating que times increased. I really like being able to log in when I want and play when I want and not sit waiting in que waiting to get in. Right now I am tossed between Lord Adraas or Sanctum of the Exalted.

My other question then becomes because I work till 10pm EST I don't get to play until atleast 1030 pm EST, shouldn't I look at playing on a West coast server if i want to Role Play or do some raiding?

New servers will have to be opened which rank higher on the alphabet, I'm sure.

That's always a possibility, however I wouldn't expect that to happen until all the role-play are reaching full capacity (and by then the damage is done).

My other question then becomes because I work till 10pm EST I don't get to play until atleast 1030 pm EST, shouldn't I look at playing on a West coast server if i want to Role Play or do some raiding?

That's something I would seriously consider, in your case. At that hour you're likely to be logging in as a majority of the "prime time" population is winding down on the east coast servers. Where as 10:30 on the east coast is only 7:30 over on the Pacific. The flip side of that is you can expect raiding on the west coast to last past midnight your time, which might be rough on your sleeping habits. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons. :/

That's something I would seriously consider, in your case. At that hour you're likely to be logging in as a majority of the "prime time" population is winding down on the east coast servers. Where as 10:30 on the east coast is only 7:30 over on the Pacific. The flip side of that is you can expect raiding on the west coast to last past midnight your time, which might be rough on your sleeping habits. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons. :/

Aye since my sleep habits are currently on West coast playing (x-WoW as of 11/29/11) it only seems logical for me to do that if I want to stay within the RP community. I am just thinking of lag/low FPS as a affect this time around. Only thing I have changed since quiting the other game and now is I bought a new router (last one is 10 years old) and already I went from 6mb download to 35mb download on my connection.

I'm a role player and am not going to the Jung server, or any of the east coast RP servers because:

1. The ping is better to an east coast server.

2. My timezone is closer to an east coast server.

3. The Ajunta RP-PvP server is only reading 'very heavy' as opposed to 'full'.

Edited by StealthNerf

Aye since my sleep habits are currently on West coast playing (x-WoW as of 11/29/11) it only seems logical for me to do that if I want to stay within the RP community. I am just thinking of lag/low FPS as a affect this time around. Only thing I have changed since quiting the other game and now is I bought a new router (last one is 10 years old) and already I went from 6mb download to 35mb download on my connection.

I think you should be ok. My latency to Jung Ma from PST is about 107 ms.

Yeah, I don't really see the need to create a super server if it just means 1 hour waits to get in. Just creates a negative experience.

We considered this, hence why we didn't go with the iconic named servers :)

Regardless, RP exists on all RP servers. And we support it all!

Regardless, RP exists on all RP servers. And we support it all!

With all the ridiculous names, people talking about Chuck Norris and other stupid crap in general chat on Jung Ma, you'd have no idea it's a RP server. Seems more like the vanilla PvP server to me.

With all the ridiculous names, people talking about Chuck Norris and other stupid crap in general chat on Jung Ma, you'd have no idea it's a RP server. Seems more like the vanilla PvP server to me.

I've experienced the same thing on Lord Adraas, don't worry :rolleyes:

The guilds who signed up to the EU RP "superserver" are only a small handful of the RP guilds that were advertising and doing forum RP long before the game launched.

There is nothing "super" about them, or official/unofficial. It really is just a group of friends who pulled together 5'ish guilds into one server.

Trask Ulgo, my guilds server has some amazing long running RP guilds on it, some of the biggest and most dedicated like Legion of Light, Guardians of the force etc.

To me, this idea looks like nothing more than the standard "alliance/adversary" groups everyone has, just extended slightly.

MIght want to tone it down a bit. Trask Ulgo is totally full, so really how "official" can Proginator be?

/wink

Edited by Sylvan

The Progenitor has been a wonderful server so far and I've not seen any non-rp names so far (but maybe i've just been lucky). I've also come across some random RP and even our general chat channel is bustling with people talking about the rp community instead of lame things like chuck norris. There was even some RP in a warzone I played yesterday, I haven't seen that kind of thing in a "battleground" since 2005 when Alterac Valley was released on Argent Dawn.

Only thing I'm afraid for is that this server will have massive queues after launch. I was in a 10 minute queue yesterday and from what i saw it's already the highest populated EU RP server, probably because of the superserver initiative but also because of the fact that it has a cool name.

I don't see how people should be so upset that their server isn't a superserver. This is just an initiave of roleplayers who want to stick together. You want to be part of it? Fine create a character and join us, it's still early and better to reroll now then wait until your lvl 50. You don't want to be part of it, fine just have fun on your own server (I'm sure it will have plenty of RP) and stop whining about it, get on with your life.

Edited by PrinceOmnius

I don't see how people should be so upset that their server isn't a superserver.

It is not a superserver, it's just a server where a relatively small group of guilds decided to roll together. It is no different than your average allies/adversaries group of guilds ending up on the same server.

My guild had 3 allies and 9 advesaries llinked together before launch, and most of us ended up on Trask Ulgo. Do I think Trask is now something special because a big group of guilds who all know each other are together?

Nope.

Your server is no different my friend.

The Progenitor has been a wonderful server so far and I've not seen any non-rp names so far (but maybe i've just been lucky). I've also come across some random RP and even our general chat channel is bustling with people talking about the rp community instead of lame things like chuck norris. There was even some RP in a warzone I played yesterday, I haven't seen that kind of thing in a "battleground" since 2005 when Alterac Valley was released on Argent Dawn.

Only thing I'm afraid for is that this server will have massive queues after launch. I was in a 10 minute queue yesterday and from what i saw it's already the highest populated EU RP server, probably because of the superserver initiative but also because of the fact that it has a cool name.

I don't see how people should be so upset that their server isn't a superserver. This is just an initiave of roleplayers who want to stick together. You want to be part of it? Fine create a character and join us, it's still early and better to reroll now then wait until your lvl 50. You don't want to be part of it, fine just have fun on your own server (I'm sure it will have plenty of RP) and stop whining about it, get on with your life.

I completely agree. The Progenitor so far seems fantastic. Us in CircleGuardians took as initiative to borrow an old Wow-idea and implement at our server - making a formal RPOOC-chat channel - This I recommend our roleplaying friends at other servers to do as well. That has shown a massive number of players being there, interested in roleplay and that is great.

When it comes to non-rp names I am sure it will come after early access is over and I am also sure that queues will be ok after a while when the game is more mature. No worries there.

Still I think, this game will attract many roleplayers and I am very sure that all the five-six(?) RP-servers, both the pve and pvp ones will have massive numbers of great roleplayers send to them. It will be a blast.

Awesome.

/Tiris

CIB - Coruscant Intelligence Bureau

(http://www.circleguardians.se/board)

They will definately need to open a few more role play servers because last night around 1030 eastern, almost every server was very heavy or full. Only two severs did I see that where standard where both normal pvp servers I assumed just added yesterday. I did knowtice this morning it looks like they added another RP-PvP East coast server so that should help out a little bit.

I've experienced the same thing on Lord Adraas, don't worry :rolleyes:

While I can appreciate the effort swtor-rp did for the RP server project, they are not fairly representing other servers just as large. For one, a lot of the guilds deployed there are under 20 people (at time of deployment). Second, some of the more larger RP guilds were spread out among the other RP servers. Deployment was also based on guild size, not just adversaries and allies.

In addition, announcing the "super-rp" server I felt turned on the radar for RP griefers as evident by the amount of silly names and "WoW-Barrens like speak in their General Chat." It's my belief that if LA does not make an effort to stop that behavior, they will be in for more disappointment as EA/BW already stated that they are not going to be enforcing the RP servers.

That said, Sanctum of the Exalted is just as populated as Lord Adrass at peak hours and I have yet to see that silly nonsense talk in General Chat. In fact it's mainly spammed with players looking for Heavy RP guilds and helpful people. In addition, it's been three days now and I have yet to see more than 2 non-RP names. After one day on LA, I'm pretty happy I chose SoTE now.

Edited by Darth_Malady

The problem that Jung Ma (RP-PvP) and Lord Adraas (RP-PvE) are experiencing probably have a lot to do with the manner in which they were chosen: alphabetically. While that may have been an easy way of choosing which sever to label as the role-play hubs, it also comes with the problem that these are the first east coast role-play servers everyone sees on the server list. You have to scroll the page down to even see the remaining east coast role-play servers.

And that increases the odds that those two servers receive a lot of players who don't role-play at all - people who just like to land on an RP server for other reasons (prefer the crowds there, like to grief RP'ers, think RP'ers are easier to PvP against, whatever). I'm not at all surprised that these two servers have some of the higher populations of the batch simply based on their positions in the server list. Never underestimate how lazy people can be when it comes to picking a server from a server list. I would have never chosen a super-server based on alphabetical order for that reason alone.

Well I know one success story from SWG was Starsider as the unofficial RP super server. It was by far the best experience I have had on a server.

Yup. I wuz there from the beginning for Starsider. From the vote on the old prelaunch RP site and down to earlier this year. Compared to all the other servers I visited (which wasn't all of them) Starsider was always rich with RP opportunities.

I'm not going to say it was always paradise. People are people.

But what I did take away is that having a critical mass of people is important to have a thriving, broad based, roleplaying community. The more creatives you've got around the more people there are being, well, interesting! And that takes the pressure off of any individual person. Sometimes in a small community, say a single guild, one or two people can feel pressured to entertain other folks. With a whole community out there everyone's entertaining each other.

A big community also means more different varieties and flavors of RP to chose from. People might badmouth cliques but that's really only just people who RP the same way choosing to associate with each other and creating content around favorite themes. Not everyone is going to have the time, energy or creativity to create their own circle of RPers so having a big variety of social networks to mingle with is important. Gives folks options.

As far as the quality of the experience on Lord Adraas goes I've actually seen the vast, and I mean vast, majority of characters with setting appropriate names who strike me as actual live RPers to judge from General chat in most regions. People may be silly or happy and excited and so on but they're doing it in complete sentences. Usually a dead giveaway of a roleplayer.

Well, at least that's all I've got to work with for now since we don't have character biography tabs or an RP flag we can use yet...