Unofficial RP Super-Servers

Ganden

Most pre-launch projects consume themselves within the first few weeks, if past MMORPG experience is to be trusted.

I agree with Surberus - have patience while the hype dies down and people settle into their servers.

Edited by Hrisskar

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total data for Heavy-Roleplaying Guilds on 2 EU RP servers.

Trask Ulgo - 1039 members - 37 Guilds.

The Progenitor- 492 members - 53 Guilds

If you couldn't research even this basic information, i doubt the rest of your report is valid.

What server do you suggest guildless players to join?

As it stands, according to the research, larger projects/guilds are more likely to be found on Trask Ulgo than The Progenitor. If you are looking for solid pre-launch community then the former would be my recommendation. Alternatively, The Progenitor won't lack in smaller communities if that what you are seeking.

Please bear in mind that this is early access, and all current information about server population may well be completely different in a few week's time.

Good luck, Marmerus!

Edited by Hrisskar

Any of the roleplaying servers have a lot of potential, and its potential won't be demonstrated immediately.

This potential isn't just based on population, but entirely depends on the organisations and communities on the server.

Overall, go with your instincts and I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy your time regardless where you end up :)

I'm very interested in a "Super Server" - in other MMOs I've enjoyed the "RP SuperServers" from Landroval, to Faeblight, and MoonGuard + Wyrmrest Accord. It was my understanding that, from the size and amount of RP guilds, Sanctum of the Exalted would be the new "RP Super Server" for PVE.

It has many of the larger pre-launch RP-flagged guilds such as The Corellian League, Dark Disciples, Pax Imperius, Grey Jedi Order etc... and more, thus likely putting forth a formidable RP population both Republic and Imperial. Is there a reason that the current server was selected instead?

http://www.swtor.com/guilds/search?shardName=he1078

For some demographics on the assignments

Edited by Ellipsys

Is there a reason that the current server was selected instead?

From what I gather, they were picked by a group of RPers from another site. Which means that -their- guilds are on the servers they picked and they did not look at the whole picture.

Personally, I will roll on the server that bests suits myself. As a prior MG player of the more 'dark-side', I know full well what will be flocking to these 'super-servers'. :rolleyes:

Several hundred rp-pver's ended up on Sanctum of the Exalted as well through the guild system with alliances and adversaries.

Indeed, although the total number of RPers on the server is a bit larger, at least if the information from this post is accurate.

As of launch-day statistics, SotE has 1307 Imperials in 20 guilds, and 2190 Republicans in 28 guilds (63% Republic).

Who are these people?

Here is a spreadsheet with the listing of guilds (googledoc spreadsheet).

Good amount going to Sanctum of Exalted....

No server is looking super at the moment so lets not be biased, some places will have drama and some wont we dont know. Lets not do this please...let people go to whatever server and let the population and community flourish before we start saying MY SERVER IS BEST COME HERE FOR RP! You'll end up crashing good communities because you want to label this or that server as the "super server" for RP.

Edited by Bobinator

The thing that hurt RP on WOW was the creation of a "super-server" with Moon Guard. I'd strongly advise against repeating that mistake.

This. So much insane, ridiculous nerd drama. I think it should be understandable why I'd want to avoid these "RP superservers" like the plague.

This. So much insane, ridiculous nerd drama. I think it should be understandable why I'd want to avoid these "RP superservers" like the plague.

I have to second this...and I am from Moon Guard...so yea.

Saying you're a super RP server is pretty much just saying theres a ton of RP guilds here because the RP site picked it...that basically means you'll be high drama and of course quantity doesnt mean quality...

...quantity doesnt mean quality...

Very true, I would wholeheartedly agree, but population does unfortunately matter quite a bit.

Luckily, I think every server could be considered a "Super-Server" at this current state of lifecycle, if by definition your simply talking about concentration of RPers on the servers.

We'll have to see if more servers open up over the next week and beyond, to judge whether population is really a factor.

"Nerd drama" can happen on any server, on any ruleset, on any MMO. I"d much rather be on a "RP super server" where there is a good chance I'll be able to find roleplayers and RP-focused guilds with whom to interact, as opposed to a "RP" server in name only which will still have drama.

Just avoid drama or individual RP you don't enjoy, but don't disparage setting up a place where all forms of RP can flourish.

Good amount going to Sanctum of Exalted....

^

Yep, he's right. I've seen a lot of the big RP guilds that formed before launch on Sanctum of Exalted. It seems like it should have been on the list >> I know I'm rolling on Sanctum.

But either way, like others said, it's to early to tell what server, if not all of them, will end up being well populated.

Edited by Corden

"Nerd drama" can happen on any server, on any ruleset, on any MMO. I"d much rather be on a "RP super server" where there is a good chance I'll be able to find roleplayers and RP-focused guilds with whom to interact, as opposed to a "RP" server in name only which will still have drama.

Just avoid drama or individual RP you don't enjoy, but don't disparage setting up a place where all forms of RP can flourish.

Having a higher concentration of RPers from a single community does not make a server necessarily better, nor will it affect the potential of "RP servers in name only" (Not even sure what that means) to have a better populated server or better community spirit than those "Super-servers".

Indeed, if you look at guild distribution statistics you will see its a fairly even distribution, meaning (As I have said twice in this thread) you won't be able to tell immediately which server will be most populous.

Thats not even considering guilds from the Super-Server community who are discussing the ability to move to different servers, or entirely unaffiliated guilds from moving elsewhere than their deployment location.

At this stage, its entirely possible every RP server will be a "Super-server" based solely on population alone...

Edited by Surberus

I've got to go with the people who are warning you against this. Yes, Moon Guard was a "Super-server" regarding RP. But it didn't start off that way. It was a lucky combination of brand new server being created with the launch of TBC with the decline of the other RP servers due to an influx of non-RPers and blatant griefers. So, everyone transfered to Moon Guard, creating that "Last Bastion of RP" that it called itself.

The problem was, it completely decimated the other RP servers. It stripped them of so many RPers that they may as well have changed to pure PvE servers. Moon Guard was a great place to RP... for a while. And then the arrogance set in.

"Moon Guard is the only place to find good RP."

"If you want to actually do real RP, you have to come to Moon Guard."

"We're the last bastion of RP. Anyone who's anyone will come here to experience quality RP."

And so on. Moon Guard became the only place to find any kind of RP, simply because everyone had abandoned the other servers to go to Moon Guard. When Wyrmrest Accord was opened, there was some hope that a second RP server that thrived would make things better, but that hope quickly died when WRA quickly became Moon Guard-lite. It had the exact same attitudes and practices as Moon Guard (which wasn't surprising, since a great many people came from MG), and so nothing changed on the RP front.

With one notable exception: the RPers on Moon Guard became even more arrogant. "See? Even a new RP server couldn't stop us." The result was a wave of entitlement and power tripping that, quite frankly, you wouldn't think was possible on a server dedicated to playing "let's pretend." It started off slowly enough, but quickly grew to epidemic proportions. The number of threads entitled, "How to RP a _____ properly" started to become a weekly thing.

This would be fine, except for the fact that these people were making the claim that if you didn't RP exactly how they wanted you to, you were wrong, and you should get off their server until you got it right. Normally, this would be a laughable position to take, except that they were getting the backing of a great many of the server population. Never mind that the lore is open-ended enough to allow for multiple interpretations, never mind that the lore was contradictory in many cases, and definitely never mind that each character should be different from each other. The fact was, if you didn't RP a Night Elf precisely as a feral, tree-hugging, other race-hating, "me woman me in charge" way, you were doing it wrong. And if you didn't RP a Blood Knight as a jackbooted, fel magic injesting, power abusing, stone-cold killer way, you were somehow taking the lore of the game, setting it on fire, and urinating on it in order to put it out.

Why would you want to do this deliberately? The last thing this game needs is a single "super-server" that will not only lead, but encourage, this kind of behaviour. What this game needs is four, maybe even five, thriving servers that encourage and rival each other. Think of it this way: would it be better to look at the other servers and sneer, "We have all the RPers, of course we're great," or would it be better to look at each other and say, "Did you hear about the RP event The Ebon Hawk put on? Holy crap, we've gotta top that?"

I think the answer to that one is obvious.

As a Moon Guard player...(Oh hi Kharnis...I heard a few MGers are going to Exalted) we do have a good community that helps with roleplay and what not...of course we get hit with certain trolls and drama but over all its pretty good mostly because I know plenty of friends there of course my RP is limited because everyone is in Stormwind and I refuse to go there D: Edited by Bobinator

I'm very interested in a "Super Server" - in other MMOs I've enjoyed the "RP SuperServers" from Landroval, to Faeblight, and MoonGuard + Wyrmrest Accord. It was my understanding that, from the size and amount of RP guilds, Sanctum of the Exalted would be the new "RP Super Server" for PVE.

It has many of the larger pre-launch RP-flagged guilds such as The Corellian League, Dark Disciples, Pax Imperius, Grey Jedi Order etc... and more, thus likely putting forth a formidable RP population both Republic and Imperial. Is there a reason that the current server was selected instead?

Wyrmrest Accord was never a super server.

I've got to go with the people who are warning you against this. Yes, Moon Guard was a "Super-server" regarding RP. But it didn't start off that way. It was a lucky combination of brand new server being created with the launch of TBC with the decline of the other RP servers due to an influx of non-RPers and blatant griefers. So, everyone transfered to Moon Guard, creating that "Last Bastion of RP" that it called itself.

The problem was, it completely decimated the other RP servers. It stripped them of so many RPers that they may as well have changed to pure PvE servers. Moon Guard was a great place to RP... for a while. And then the arrogance set in.

"Moon Guard is the only place to find good RP."

"If you want to actually do real RP, you have to come to Moon Guard."

"We're the last bastion of RP. Anyone who's anyone will come here to experience quality RP."

And so on. Moon Guard became the only place to find any kind of RP, simply because everyone had abandoned the other servers to go to Moon Guard. When Wyrmrest Accord was opened, there was some hope that a second RP server that thrived would make things better, but that hope quickly died when WRA quickly became Moon Guard-lite. It had the exact same attitudes and practices as Moon Guard (which wasn't surprising, since a great many people came from MG), and so nothing changed on the RP front.

With one notable exception: the RPers on Moon Guard became even more arrogant. "See? Even a new RP server couldn't stop us." The result was a wave of entitlement and power tripping that, quite frankly, you wouldn't think was possible on a server dedicated to playing "let's pretend." It started off slowly enough, but quickly grew to epidemic proportions. The number of threads entitled, "How to RP a _____ properly" started to become a weekly thing.

This would be fine, except for the fact that these people were making the claim that if you didn't RP exactly how they wanted you to, you were wrong, and you should get off their server until you got it right. Normally, this would be a laughable position to take, except that they were getting the backing of a great many of the server population. Never mind that the lore is open-ended enough to allow for multiple interpretations, never mind that the lore was contradictory in many cases, and definitely never mind that each character should be different from each other. The fact was, if you didn't RP a Night Elf precisely as a feral, tree-hugging, other race-hating, "me woman me in charge" way, you were doing it wrong. And if you didn't RP a Blood Knight as a jackbooted, fel magic injesting, power abusing, stone-cold killer way, you were somehow taking the lore of the game, setting it on fire, and urinating on it in order to put it out.

Why would you want to do this deliberately? The last thing this game needs is a single "super-server" that will not only lead, but encourage, this kind of behaviour. What this game needs is four, maybe even five, thriving servers that encourage and rival each other. Think of it this way: would it be better to look at the other servers and sneer, "We have all the RPers, of course we're great," or would it be better to look at each other and say, "Did you hear about the RP event The Ebon Hawk put on? Holy crap, we've gotta top that?"

I think the answer to that one is obvious.

I find myself feeling a bit at odds with this post, because there are many things I agree with. However, I also feel it necessary for RPers to stick together and look out for their own if they want to retain the environment they want in their game since no one else will.

I, personally, would love all of the RP servers to have active, thriving communities holding server events for everyone to enjoy. But the reality of it is that doing such a thing is really hard work, and unless there's a huge community to help continue supporting such endeavors, burn-out happens. You need to have a community where you can share the reigns with others, instead of having it to yourself.

However, this is not to say that I don't think a server can thrive without the support of giant community. For years I played in a small, tight-knit RP community on a small server and that has its own advantages too. To me, super servers are akin to the hustle and bustle of a city, while a small server reminds me of the small, countryside village where everyone knows your name. I think it's healthy for a MMO game to have RP servers which are both big and small in community size—some people prefer the city life, while others want something more quiet and relaxed.

I think Bioware knows this, which is why there are only seven US-PvE-RP and two US-PvP-RP servers. And it's my sincere hope that they do not add any more in order to avoid the MG and WrA fiasco that occurred in WoW.