What is holding back SWTOR the most?

iheartnyc

The thing holding back SWTOR the most is the pessimistic community that keeps on ranting on the forums driving new and old players away from the game.

should we log on and whine in general chat?

no this is exactly what forums are for,,sharing opinions and thoughts

and the best way to improve is by learning from others mistakes too

there are thousands of hours of REAL MMO experience in these forums,,from real players

and i hope that they still make games for us, rather than shareholders

but perhaps, they dont, and thats why the business is in decline

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 Idiot marketing managers

2 EA/BW pushing this game out 70% finished and causing a lot of bad press.

3 Whiny players because of the 2 points above

and bonus

Stuttering in 1.4 :)

As of 1.3 when I arrived the game is good it has ton of content, lot of replay-ability.

Bit weaker on PVP heavy on PVE [if PVP is your cup of tea you will get bored here and quick]

It is a good game that suffered because of the over hyped marketing and bitter SWG sandbox people being very active together with the EMO GW2 kids spreading negative news like rats the black plague.

Combined with buggy and incomplete feature set at launch you get the f2p in under a year.

f2p is same bull buzzword of managers just like cloud. I keep my sub active and go for at least 6 more months.

Having a blast. :D

I see two major issues:

1. Overall poor planning and implementation. The best example of this is the server population problems. The past 6 months have fairly well been consumed by dealing with the effects of the miscalculations of the intitial server structure and the ad hoc responses to it. EA/BW seems to have had no plans for how to deal with server population issues. It's been a constant annoyance for much of the community.

2. Poor integration of the game elements. SWTOR has some really good things going for it. However too many of the elements, good and bad, are disconnected from each other. Space combat is basically a side game that can be totally ignored without loss. While set up ideally for RvR gameplay, PvP and clashes between the Republic and Empire have no impact on play. Light/Dark decisions have little impact outside of the individual class storyline other than a couple of vendors.

and it isnt the sub fee either,,if it was an EPIC SW MMO,,they could charge

A LOT more money for that,,this is , what really confuses me,,they had

THE BIGGEST CASH COW IN MMO within their reach,,and they let it slip away?

im beginning to think , that game was used as a weapon with two purposes:

getting control of BW and blocking the SW MMO market for others use

as i said: an EPIC SW MMO,,id pay 50 $ a month for that,,and pay for expansions too

but perhaps im the only one:(

Its sort of runny as many of these thing people are listing are the same when EQ, EQ2, SWG, many other MMO's.

People wanted more...much more....pleanty more with in the first year. Shoot when EQ came up there were no raid zones at first. EQ2 had no PVP and went through what 3 combat revamps before the first expansion. SWG we had no vehicles we all had to run and than we got slapped with NGE...UGH still hate saying those words to this day.

I have no clue on WOW as I never played it.

I know this game was bum rushed and sort of a massive flop with its story driven ADVENTURE...yeah right. It's old outdated engine and it massive spending on its famous people voice overs.

Now look at the 3 MMO's EQ, EQ2, WOW. They are all still here and with a pretty solid player base to each its own. All have gone through revamps of some sort and people still play them.

Can Bioware learn from their mistakes? I hope so. Do they have enough time to change and I hate to say might cause a revamp? Yes.

We have to live with it and hope after the first year or so it improves. No MMO to this date had a nice first year with out many issues and changes. If I am worng then list the MMO and not a GW or GW2 or COD type game. I am talking a true type MMO.

and it isnt the sub fee either,,if it was an EPIC SW MMO,,they could charge

A LOT more money for that,,this is , what really confuses me,,they had

THE BIGGEST CASH COW IN MMO within their reach,,and they let it slip away?

im beginning to think , that game was used as a weapon with two purposes:

getting control of BW and blocking the SW MMO market for others use

as i said: an EPIC SW MMO,,id pay 50 $ a month for that,,and pay for expansions too

but perhaps im the only one:(

you're entitled to your opinion, guess so am i, and i for one am glad this game is here, because i find it epic.

epic enough to pay 50$?:p

sure, if i see that i bought PS3 games for 60 euro that only took me a couple hours to finish, then i'd say i get plenty for my 50 euro here. that's the whole reason why i play mmo's, if you compare the price you pay and how much hours you can spend, it's a great deal compared to console games or single player pc games.

agree,,,wow then it really hit the sweet spot on u,,congrats, and yes im a little envious now

i have never doubted that this game did that,,problem is , that theres too few for a game

with so high costs (VOs for new missions and IP license to LA),,it really needs to be a game for casuals

to generate this income they need many players,,and casuals are the only free playerbase in

sufficient numbers

2 hours for 60 euros? i feel sorry for you:o,,i would foam at the mouth after that

Edited by simplius

well, some people have a job and don't have time to play 12 hours a day, sorry if having an income makes me a casual :)

oh, and i wouldn't say 2 hours, but ye, i have plenty of games that i finished under 10 hours of gameplay

Edited by Ifrica

2) EA - according to several accounts, EA considers SWTOR a massive failure and has effectively put this game on the backburner and is silently letting the Bioware people in charge of SWTOR know that their future at the company is limited. Can they provide the resources (time, money, people) to turn this game around?

I would like to read a few of the "several accounts" please...

Do you have any real links or references to share?

This game did just about everything wrong. For me, the biggest thing is the lack of attention to fixing bugs. They are wasting their time with content releases before worrying about bugs! That's just messed up priorities.

The next biggest problem is their lacking of ability to COMMUNICATE. They are so quiet at times that I wonder if they even exist. When people are frustrated by something and there is NO word from the makers, people's frustration turns to anger, and anger turns to hate, and hate turns to lost subs.

I'm less than impressed by the difficulty level. I understand this can be tricky because some people want everything so *********** hard that only a small percentage of players will be able to do it. It seems that BW mistakenly catered to these people and effectively drive the majority of their subscribers away.

I also am not impressed with their credit sink mentality. They spend valuable developer resources making cool new features, but then make it so expensive to "Buy" that 95% of the players will never be able to try it. I'm like, "Really? Five Million credits for a GTN Kiosk on my ship?" I have 4 toons at 50 and the most I've ever seen at one time is 1.5 million. Even the features that are only 500,000 credits are too steap of a price for me to bother with. So did they make these features to cater to the 5% of the players that are so bored that they'll spend hours a day farming credits? Seems incredibly stupid to me.

And other stupid logic things that don't begin to make sense, like charging me a crazy amount of credits to take a mod out? In most cases, they want more than I originally paid for the mod to begin with! And who, exactly, gets my credits for what amounts to Changing my Socks? Is there a department in the galactic government that is responsible for collecting the fee's from people that reconfigure their armor? It's free to put something INTO my armor, and I'm perfectly able to do so myself, but there is a fee to take it out again? This is completely nonsensical. But it's all over SWTOR and it pisses me off.

Edited by Glowrod

well, some people have a job and don't have time to play 12 hours a day, sorry if having an income makes me a casual :)

oh, and i wouldn't say 2 hours, but ye, i have plenty of games that i finished under 10 hours of gameplay

casual is a matter of attitude and skill,,,STO made me hardcore by accident, with its simple gameplay

yea ive heard /read about the 8hr games,,spiderman etc,,thats why dragon age is a great game,much more content

I'm less than impressed by the difficulty level. I understand this can be tricky because some people want everything so *********** hard that only a small percentage of players will be able to do it. It seems that BW mistakenly catered to these people and effectively drive the majority of their subscribers away.

Aren't you the same guy who said there is too many abilities in the game and there should be no gear optimization? Man, you think this content is hard?? My guild raids 7 hours per week and we will have TFB HM cleared in maximum a month. Hardcore guilds clear the content in 1-2 lockouts. There are 2 difficulty levels. No one is forcing you to go beyond story mode.

I agree with the rest of your post.

This game did just about everything wrong. For me, the biggest thing is the lack of attention to fixing bugs. They are wasting their time with content releases before worrying about bugs! That's just messed up priorities.

The next biggest problem is their lacking of ability to COMMUNICATE. They are so quiet at times that I wonder if they even exist. When people are frustrated by something and there is NO word from the makers, people's frustration turns to anger, and anger turns to hate, and hate turns to lost subs.

I also am not impressed with their credit sink mentality. They spend valuable developer resources making cool new features, but then make it so expensive to "Buy" that 95% of the players will never be able to try it. I'm like, "Really? Five Million credits for a GTN Kiosk on my ship?" I have 4 toons at 50 and the most I've ever seen at one time is 1.5 million. Even the features that are only 500,000 credits are too steap of a price for me to bother with. So did they make these features to cater to the 5% of the players that are so bored that they'll spend hours a day farming credits? Seems incredibly stupid to me.

And other stupid logic things that don't begin to make sense, like charging me a crazy amount of credits to take a mod out? In most cases, they want more than I originally paid for the mod to begin with! And who, exactly, gets my credits for what amounts to Changing my Socks? Is there a department in the galactic government that is responsible for collecting the fee's from people that reconfigure their armor? It's free to put something INTO my armor, and I'm perfectly able to do so myself, but there is a fee to take it out again? This is completely nonsensical. But it's all over SWTOR and it pisses me off.

agree,,who makes more money,,pizza shops or gourmet restaurants,,toyota or ferrari,,levis or armani

Aren't you the same guy who said there is too many abilities in the game and there should be no gear optimization?

This doesn't ring any bells. Are you sure it was me?

Man, you think this content is hard?? My guild raids 7 hours per week and we will have TFB HM cleared in maximum a month. Hardcore guilds clear the content in 1-2 lockouts. There are 2 difficulty levels. No one is forcing you to go beyond story mode.

I actually don't, I only quest and once I hit 50, I roll another toon and start over.

My issue here is that the class quest bosses, expecially the one's at end of chapters(?) at about level 30 and 40, used to be stupid hard for bosses that are supposed to be done solo. They've done better and balanced them since the early months of the game so now you don't have to group to complete them. Early on, I actually quit the game because of it. I quit in early January and didn't come back until April.

My issue here is that the class quest bosses, expecially the one's at end of chapters(?) at about level 30 and 40, used to be stupid hard for bosses that are supposed to be done solo. They've done better and balanced them since the early months of the game so now you don't have to group to complete them. Early on, I actually quit the game because of it. I quit in early January and didn't come back until April.

Ah ok then. my apologies :)

I was fine with the game as it WAS prior to this last craptastic patch (Patch 1.4). Patch 1.4 ruined SWTOR for me. Absofreakinglutely ruined the game for me.

So for ME Patch 1.4 is what is holding SWTOR back.

FIX. THE. GAME! :mad:

Look, people actually do want story in their MMO. They want to be part of an over arching story and a personal one where they can be part of the tale along with millions of others. The problem is that developers don't put out enough story fast enough to keep the populace happy in any MMO.

You can either have story that ends fast and takes long between chapters or one without story that depends on the community to keep things going. EVE is a good example of the latter. Problem with latter is that it really requires you to participate in some sort of PVP which not everyone is comfortable with.

Story MMO's are great for PVE in the short term but only marginal for the PVP crowd while community MMO's are marginal for PVE from the beginning but great for PVP in the long term.

Games like EVE can at least keep PVP players happy indefinitely because of the amazing interaction but Story MMO's just don't holdup for anyone after a while. PVP players are always the most loyal and adamant fans while PVE players, though a larger portion of the player base, are more fickle and prone to leave a game after content completion.

That's why a game like EVE has such staying power while most story MMO's crash and burn. WoW as an anomaly escapes this logic for now but won't forever. Sadly, PVE gamers, the large cross section of MMO players may never get the game they want, an endless story driven MMO where each choice matters to the whole.