What is holding back SWTOR the most?

iheartnyc

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a 2-4 player mutiplayer game that is too easy for 2 or more people so everyone mostly plays it as if it were a solo game. It does a poor to mediocre job of transplanting that mutiplayer game into an MMO environment.

They need to decide if it's a solo, multiplayer, or massively mutiplayer game and not try to be all three.

Oh... and they (and every other developer) need to wake up and realize that a large percentage of the MMO playerbase has no interest in "endgame content".

It's a 2-4 player mutiplayer game that is too easy for 2 or more people so everyone mostly plays it as if it were a solo game. It does a poor to mediocre job of transplanting that mutiplayer game into an MMO environment.

They need to decide if it's a solo, multiplayer, or massively mutiplayer game and not try to be all three.

Oh... and they (and every other developer) need to wake up and realize that a large percentage of the MMO playerbase has no interest in "endgame content".

What other games do that? Almost all other MMo's also do that now. Hate to bring it up but WoW tries to do all 3 and that game is now a joke in difficulty. It is now a single player game with multiplayer being optional.

I think given how cool the leveling process and story has been for each of my toons I would say Bioware did well or better then others to see it wasn't all about the endgame. Blizzard screwed that one up in MoP. Took people no time. Not even a day to reach the new level cap and once again be at the endgame grind content.

I long for the MMO that is fun but takes me a week to gain one level or maybe even longer at the high levels. A level should feel like something you worked for and earned. Not handed to you. A few games really lost site of that. Again with the character stories atleast I felt very involved with my characters progression so not so much SWToR.

What other games do that? Almost all other MMo's also do that now. Hate to bring it up but WoW tries to do all 3 and that game is now a joke in difficulty. It is now a single player game with multiplayer being optional.

I think given how cool the leveling process and story has been for each of my toons I would say Bioware did well or better then others to see it wasn't all about the endgame. Blizzard screwed that one up in MoP. Took people no time. Not even a day to reach the new level cap and once again be at the endgame grind content.

I long for the MMO that is fun but takes me a week to gain one level or maybe even longer at the high levels. A level should feel like something you worked for and earned. Not handed to you. A few games really lost site of that. Again with the character stories atleast I felt very involved with my characters progression so not so much SWToR.

Yes it's a problem every game has because they are all trying to "make the next WoW". It's why the industry as a whole is dying of self-inflicted mediocrity.

I agree, the stories are good. They blow away the last 3 movies in every aspect. It would be very nice if I had any input on the story though. The replayability of them is compromised when my choices make no difference on the plot.

Edited by CosmicKat

Original idea. This game is, simply, an online washed out KoToR. Stripping the Star Wars theme you`re left with a sub-par MMO.

Because, at the end of the day, it doesn`t offer anything except roll alts and raiding.

This comment is essentially off the mark, but its starting at the right point.

This game is KOTOR online. Its what we were always promised and were delivered.

What this game isnt is: WoW in space!

I loved KOTOR and i love SWTOR. I also think its the best MMO out in the market at the moment when evaluating the whole package. WoW got dumbed down and kiddie, GW2 is repetitive,bland and boring, TERA is plagued by RNG issues. SWTOR needs optimisation, but the core formula is spot on.

Oh, to answer the original question: The problem is EA. They didnt give this game and the team a chance and got washed out by hater stories. This game is in fact really good. Better than anything else in the market when your aim is to have fun with your game.

Edited by Nemmar

Use your mouse to turn, not your keyboard. Get rid of the turn keys and turn them to strafe.

Thank you for telling me the method I already use in.. uh... pretty much every MMO ever :D.

Again: It's not about the method, it's about the engine's perceptible clunkiness.

This comment is essentially off the mark, but its starting at the right point.

This game is KOTOR online. Its what we were always promised and were delivered.

What this game isnt is: WoW in space!

I loved KOTOR and i love SWTOR. I also think its the best MMO out in the market at the moment when evaluating the whole package. WoW got dumbed down and kiddie, GW2 is repetitive,bland and boring, TERA is plagued by RNG issues. SWTOR needs optimisation, but the core formula is spot on.

Oh, to answer the original question: The problem is EA. They didnt give this game and the team a chance and got washed out by hater stories. This game is in fact really good. Better than anything else in the market when your aim is to have fun with your game.

Thank you. While I don't agree that it is all the fault of EA. I do agree on almost every other point. I still stand strongly behind my believe that it is hard for MMO players to walk away from thier other games to play this one. Even harder to have time to play two of them. That isn't Bioware or EA's fault. They just need to realize they have a great game here and in time things could turn around.

It will just be a very slow turn around. Still hands down no matter what anyone else says. This is the best MMO out right now and I am very happy to pay for this game. For the last year it hurt to hand my money over to Blizzard. So glad its over!

Edit: By over I mean the horrible annual pass I had signed up for. That was one of the biggest horrible choices I have ever made.

Edited by Gryphandor

More responses from customer services that are not cut and paste so you actually feel like someone has read your text would go a long way to alleviating the hate on these boards.

I have been watching closely since Joveth announced an initiative to improve communication, and it has improved. I do not think it is the Community Team at fault here, but whoever is in control of what they are permitted to say. Without committing to specific dates, which are going to be fluid depending on development time required by specific projects, a greater leeway for developers and the Community Team to discuss player concerns might do a lot to calm players and help cultivate patience.

For example, concerns that continue to be raised which have been addressed at one point but not yet resolved could receive a periodic update every three to four months or so, even if it is "Yes, we know minigames are something you are looking forward to, and are content we do plan to develop some day, but that is still something we have in mind for future development." Projects actually in development should receive more substantial updates. "Our writers are finished with most of this content, and we have voice actors coming in to record starting next week."

Of course, optimization and bug fixes must be ongoing, and especially with bugs some more frequent updates might be to the good as well.

We can all pretty much identify the symptoms that are hurting this game. Slow development time compared to other MMOs, bugs, VERY slow to fix even minor bugs, slow to introduce new content compared to other MMOs, failure to optimize performance issues, etc. What are your thoughts on what's holding back SWTOR, and what are the biggest threats to this game?

1) Hero Engine - is this underlying platform so cumbersome that the pace of improvement of the game will never improve? Is it simply too expensive and take too much man-power to implement even the slightest content additions?

2) EA - according to several accounts, EA considers SWTOR a massive failure and has effectively put this game on the backburner and is silently letting the Bioware people in charge of SWTOR know that their future at the company is limited. Can they provide the resources (time, money, people) to turn this game around?

3) Wrong vision at Bioware - according to several accounts, Bioware envisioned this game to be more of a heavily-instanced, multiplayer RPG with MMO elements. Will this vision ever change?

At this point it seems apparent that we will not see any revolutionary changes to this game. The only changes that seem likely are additional content, bug fixes and slight optimizations. This would of course result in only reducing the rate at which current players leave, but will not result in a massive renewed interest in the game. What needs to change to turn this game around, and is it even possible?

1) Guild m8s today speak about most of the things you stated.. Is an old version of HERO engine so they can only tweak, not add the new hero engine.. I think its a 2005-6 edition, what they got.

2) EA the only thing does right, buying other companies and intervene, ruin their games... kidding or not, they did in many games.. Some games are successful, most of games not. They have their basics for their income and buying even more companies, instead of building new and inovative games/ideas (casual ones like FIFA, SPOTS, SIMS) I think, EA won a very interesting prize this year...! Among the worst company of the year 2012, I was surprised to see EA first and BP snick away from it, after the ecological disaster, people are strange...!.. I saw the article in a nintendo forum (Sims is interesting though, if we mod it... :D ) I dont play sport games or boring fps like moh or cod... I want my game to be interesting. I loved "skate" by EA on my 360...long ago..

3) No u got it wrong, its not that... The end game content, that a user spends most of the time at that level, its a copy cat for other mmo.. It would be GREAT if this vision comes true, even at 50+ but with more advanced features and content... diplomacy, wars, emporium, etc. Not just guild, raid, token..

Swtor got lots of potential, they must improve the game engine though, for example guild wars 2, is SO LIGHT and so much better, animation system, graphics, etc... They can do it with a feature expansion.. change slightly things. Because they limited it alot... we dont even have good draw distanse!

anyway..thats my opinion.

Edited by Oyranos

There's alot of things holding swtor back its a great game but i feel it's falling short of what could it be

I think aside from obvious bug fixes what's needed especially in pvp is cross server queues for normal and ranked wz

an arena style mini game ranked is failing on some servers due to not having enough teams and variety ,if they introduced a ladder system and reduced the numbers required and added a few smaller maps to accommodate a 2v2 with companions included, 3v3 and a 4v4 you would instantly double the amount of teams available And i think would go along way in holding and attracting more players

Illum they could add faction bosses that drop war hero gear pvp mods enhancements and armouring

That each faction could farm each week the bases are already there they just need to add something worth fighting over

To me, the story is the most lackluster part, even though this is billed as a story driven MMO. The problem I have is the story are only advanced during dialogs, we are told what is happening most of the times, rather than being directly in the events ourselves, in the end, they felt boring (much like the prequel movies). Also, there's no change to the world outside of the instances (or most of the times even in the instances), I liberated Belmorra, but Imperial troops are still everywhere, etc.

Also, the class stories themselves are on rails, like during the agent class story:

I chose to side of Jadus, but nothing changed, except Watcher Two had an extra line, despite she calling me a traitor etc during the mission.

Also, there seems to be no relationship between the stories, one earth shattering event happened early on in the Agent story, yet, if you level up other classes, you never hear a thing about it.

You will have Jadus related quests later.

Thank you. While I don't agree that it is all the fault of EA. I do agree on almost every other point. I still stand strongly behind my believe that it is hard for MMO players to walk away from thier other games to play this one. Even harder to have time to play two of them. That isn't Bioware or EA's fault. They just need to realize they have a great game here and in time things could turn around.

It will just be a very slow turn around. Still hands down no matter what anyone else says. This is the best MMO out right now and I am very happy to pay for this game. For the last year it hurt to hand my money over to Blizzard. So glad its over!

Edit: By over I mean the horrible annual pass I had signed up for. That was one of the biggest horrible choices I have ever made.

I agree with your point, it's mostly a great game, just went out when the whole player base is losing interest in MMO. It made a few mistakes but many other MMO did, too.

Lack of funding. By 1.2 they were still releasing updates and fixes much faster than most MMOs but people were still bailing so quickly they were giving away free game time just to bring people back.

After that things sort of died down with the reorganization and probably the footwork for eventually going F2P beginning all at the same time and with much fewer resources. Partially because EA pulled away pretty quick on funding, and partially because the community refuses to fund anything that isn't either incredibly niche or World of Warcraft.

Lack of funding. By 1.2 they were still releasing updates and fixes much faster than most MMOs but people were still bailing so quickly they were giving away free game time just to bring people back.

After that things sort of died down with the reorganization and probably the footwork for eventually going F2P beginning all at the same time and with much fewer resources. Partially because EA pulled away pretty quick on funding, and partially because the community refuses to fund anything that isn't either incredibly niche or World of Warcraft.

Said very well. WoW has been the top dog. It is the niche for many people. It also has years of content. A new MMO just can't keep up. EA need to put more into this game because it is already better then WoW. Imagine how much better it really can be. ust pulling players from one MMO to another is hard. Even harder to play two different MMO's.

One of the reasons WoW survived the first 6 months to a year of it's own release is because it took a LONG time for raid groups to first start clearing raid content. It took more than 2 or 3 tries to be successful, and even longer before you had those raids on "farm" status as a guild.

Furthermore, WoW started losing subs when they released Wrath of the Lich King. Wrath was the expansion that saw old raid gear made 100% meaningless by new content, and new raid gear was handed out like candy (due to automatically gaining tokens from grouping that could be traded for gear.) They "gained" 1 million subs, but that's because they released in China at the same time Wrath came out. Lots of new Chinese players, but lots of western players making an exit at the same time. Cataclysm made it even easier to get the best gear in the game, and again we saw more players leaving WoW.

Despite this evidence that a balanced approach to end-game design was best for both the growth and sustainability of WoW -one which is capable of catering to both casuals and hardcore gamers, where "tiers" of end-game are about challenge level, not just the quality of the phat lootz handed out at the end; and where gear was not easy to attain, nor automatically attained through a token exchange system- BioWare decided to adopt the modern WoW model.

That's what's holding back ToR. They copied a failing model. They didn't dig deep enough into the history of WoW to understand the ideas of the past which turned WoW into a goliath, and the mistakes of the present which have opened the door for another MMO to take over as top dog.

Furthermore, they failed to take inspiration from what other MMOs have done right (despite most of them ultimately failing, or falling far short of the same success WoW has attained), opting instead to copy WoW, and only WoW. We could have had a form of public quest like WAR or Rift. We could have had AoC or TERA style combat (with perhaps Tabula Rasa style shooting for the gun classes?) We could have had a robust crafting system from Vanguard or SWG. We could have had pazaak, swoop racing, space chess, and a host of other fun mini-games (the 5 minutes they spent designing space combat notwithstanding.) We could have had customizable player ships (no BioWare, changing the color of the wallpaper will not affect your precious cutscenes aboard player ships in any way. And pink wallpaper won't ruin my immersion any more than "black core" lightsaber crystals already have.)

I should give BioWare some props, though, for their one innovation. The storylines are the only reason I still play ToR, and if they had been implemented better, could have been an essential addition to the MMO genre. Unfortunately, the storylines disappear as soon as you hit end-game. Sooner, if you use the LFD tool to run dungeons, and participate in regular PvP (all but forcing you to skip many of the quest lines outright as you surpass their level ranges.) If BioWare had offered some sort of horizontal progression with regards to story lines, or a master/apprentice system, you would be able to experience 100% of the story content at your leisure. Additionally, if BioWare had worked meaningful story lines into repeatable quests at end-game (I'm thinking like, 15 part quests, with the player only able to complete 1 part per day, giving a minimum time frame of 15 days to complete the story arc) then the story wouldn't abruptly stop once you hit max level.

-Macheath.

Edited by Macheath

One of the reasons WoW survived the first 6 months to a year of it's own release is because it took a LONG time for raid groups to first start clearing raid content. It took more than 2 or 3 tries to be successful, and even longer before you had those raids on "farm" status as a guild.

Furthermore, WoW started losing subs when they released Wrath of the Lich King. Wrath was the expansion that saw old raid gear made 100% meaningless by new content, and new raid gear was handed out like candy (due to automatically gaining tokens from grouping that could be traded for gear.) They "gained" 1 million subs, but that's because they released in China at the same time Wrath came out. Lots of new Chinese players, but lots of western players making an exit at the same time. Cataclysm made it even easier to get the best gear in the game, and again we saw more players leaving WoW.

Well the time is different, I don't think in modern time, a game like 2004's WOW can survive.

WotLK was WOW's peak, it started to lose player since Cata.

Despite this evidence that a balanced approach to end-game design was best for both the growth and sustainability of WoW -one which is capable of catering to both casuals and hardcore gamers, where "tiers" of end-game are about challenge level, not just the quality of the phat lootz handed out at the end; and where gear was not easy to attain, nor automatically attained through a token exchange system- BioWare decided to adopt the modern WoW model.

That's what's holding back ToR. They copied a failing model. They didn't dig deep enough into the history of WoW to understand the ideas of the past which turned WoW into a goliath, and the mistakes of the present which have opened the door for another MMO to take over as top dog.

They copied not safe to say failing model, but it surely was losing players' interest by the time TOR released.

Furthermore, they failed to take inspiration from what other MMOs have done right (despite most of them ultimately failing, or falling far short of the same success WoW has attained), opting instead to copy WoW, and only WoW. We could have had a form of public quest like WAR or Rift. We could have had AoC or TERA style combat (with perhaps Tabula Rasa style shooting for the gun classes?) We could have had a robust crafting system from Vanguard or SWG. We could have had pazaak, swoop racing, space chess, and a host of other fun mini-games (the 5 minutes they spent designing space combat notwithstanding.) We could have had customizable player ships (no BioWare, changing the color of the wallpaper will not affect your precious cutscenes aboard player ships in any way. And pink wallpaper won't ruin my immersion any more than "black core" lightsaber crystals already have.)

I should give BioWare some props, though, for their one innovation. The storylines are the only reason I still play ToR, and if they had been implemented better, could have been an essential addition to the MMO genre. Unfortunately, the storylines disappear as soon as you hit end-game. Sooner, if you use the LFD tool to run dungeons, and participate in regular PvP (all but forcing you to skip many of the quest lines outright as you surpass their level ranges.) If BioWare had offered some sort of horizontal progression with regards to story lines, or a master/apprentice system, you would be able to experience 100% of the story content at your leisure. Additionally, if BioWare had worked meaningful story lines into repeatable quests at end-game (I'm thinking like, 15 part quests, with the player only able to complete 1 part per day, giving a minimum time frame of 15 days to complete the story arc) then the story wouldn't abruptly stop once you hit max level.

-Macheath.

Agree

Whats holding ToR back the most IN MY OPINION.....

Mismanagement from beginning to current. Too many poor decisions that directly lead to wasted time. That wasted time could have been spent creating content that people would want.

For instance...

Group finder should have been in at launch. It was asked for since early beta. The Devs said they didnt need it. Now you waste time putting in all kinds of things because of ego. Fleets, transport to instances off of planets. All those things they added were directly related to their ego and not needing group finder. Months later they make a group finder. Time wasted and could have been avoided.

Time wasted on modable gear. They had a perfect system with modable gear in beta. It was better then it is currently now. Every piece of gear was modable back then, including greens. All that time wasted changing the system over and over again. All people wanted was a wardrobe. I love the mod system but they dicked around with it way too much. Wasted time that could have been better spent designing better armor sets or *gasp* implementing the wardrobe that people want.

Time wasted opening too many servers. Time wasted implementing piss poor server transfers multiple times. Taking way too long to even do that. How many subscriptions were lost just over this crap.

Time wasted on poor RVR. Do it right or dont do it until you got it right. Instead they put in a terrible RVR. Spend time changing it. Then spend time removing it. Now spending time redoing it. What a waste.

Time wasted on Unify color to chest. They literally took it out on the last beta, before launch. It worked fine but they didnt want it in. After months of complaints they decided to do something different with it and put it back in. Wardrobe could have solved all that.

I could go on but this is what I think held ToR back.... Poor Management.

Whats holding ToR back the most IN MY OPINION.....

Mismanagement from beginning to current. Too many poor decisions that directly lead to wasted time. That wasted time could have been spent creating content that people would want.

For instance...

Group finder should have been in at launch. It was asked for since early beta. The Devs said they didnt need it. Now you waste time putting in all kinds of things because of ego. Fleets, transport to instances off of planets. All those things they added were directly related to their ego and not needing group finder. Months later they make a group finder. Time wasted and could have been avoided.

Time wasted on modable gear. They had a perfect system with modable gear in beta. It was better then it is currently now. Every piece of gear was modable back then, including greens. All that time wasted changing the system over and over again. All people wanted was a wardrobe. I love the mod system but they dicked around with it way too much. Wasted time that could have been better spent designing better armor sets or *gasp* implementing the wardrobe that people want.

Time wasted opening too many servers. Time wasted implementing piss poor server transfers multiple times. Taking way too long to even do that. How many subscriptions were lost just over this crap.

Time wasted on poor RVR. Do it right or dont do it until you got it right. Instead they put in a terrible RVR. Spend time changing it. Then spend time removing it. Now spending time redoing it. What a waste.

Time wasted on Unify color to chest. They literally took it out on the last beta, before launch. It worked fine but they didnt want it in. After months of complaints they decided to do something different with it and put it back in. Wardrobe could have solved all that.

I could go on but this is what I think held ToR back.... Poor Management.

Along with the wrong time, they copied WOW style when people are getting tired of WOW style.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Well the time is different, I don't think in modern time, a game like 2004's WOW can survive.

WotLK was WOW's peak, it started to lose player since Cata.

They copied not safe to say failing model, but it surely was losing players' interest by the time TOR released.

I think in these modern times, Vanilla/BC WoW is exactly what we need.

The number one complaint, repeated across every MMO released since WoW, has been, "Now that I'm max level, there's nothing to do."

Why is there nothing to do? Because within a week, players have even the toughest dungeon on farm status in their guilds, and even PuGs can muddle through the toughest content in the game successfully. PuGs couldn't complete Molten Core. They couldn't complete Onyxia. It took months for players, even coordinated guilds, to be able to "farm" end-game content in WoW. And then, on top of that, you had a 1% drop rate on your gear from the instance.

Today's MMOs need that challenge, that tier of content that's just out of reach for all but the most elite players. It's not really that there's nothing to do; it's that there's nothing left to conquer.

-Macheath.

I think in these modern times, Vanilla/BC WoW is exactly what we need.

The number one complaint, repeated across every MMO released since WoW, has been, "Now that I'm max level, there's nothing to do."

Why is there nothing to do? Because within a week, players have even the toughest dungeon on farm status in their guilds, and even PuGs can muddle through the toughest content in the game successfully. PuGs couldn't complete Molten Core. They couldn't complete Onyxia. It took months for players, even coordinated guilds, to be able to "farm" end-game content in WoW. And then, on top of that, you had a 1% drop rate on your gear from the instance.

Today's MMOs need that challenge, that tier of content that's just out of reach for all but the most elite players. It's not really that there's nothing to do; it's that there's nothing left to conquer.

-Macheath.

I won't like a 60 WOW.

No PVP system until 1.4 and no BG until 1.5, which was more than 6 months after the game's release.

The only way to continue after you reach 60 is 40 men raid and go 24/7 for PVP rank.

The leveling is nothing compare to TOR's class story.

It was great at that time but surely horrible now.

I agree with you guys, it's food to see some people still enjoy this game, and see the good stuff in it, we tried the new op this week, and i must say, it was the most fun i had in a raid for quite a while, if BW continues this trend i won't mind not goign back to wow :)

anyways, about the annual pass (which i wanted to answer to in the first place), i bought it too, and had a bad feeling about it for a while, until i went in diablo 3 farming around a bit with my friends, i already earned my annual pass money back + all money i spent on swtor (DDE + subs) just by playing diablo 3 like 2 hours a week, the RMAH does wonders when you have a bit of luck :)

Along with the wrong time, they copied WOW style when people are getting tired of WOW style.

if they copied wow style, we wouldn't have puzzle bosses, and we would have auto attack, we would have flying mounts and there would be no pvp battles when leveling, and we would have pokemon battles. not even mentioning all the hand holding addons (i rly don't understand why people want those in swtor)

-Macheath.

Ur so wrong... Wow start loosing customers from the moment they decided to entry bg's epic vendors and tokens in the game. WoW, was playable for only18+ because of its difficulty and open world thing.... Kids didnt enjoyed it, because they couldn’t travel. they got lost, they didnt wanted to explore much, do stuff much...

So blizz entered all these craps into the game and they lost us.. WoW didnt have bg's tokens and epic vendors, pve-pvp gears and craps, didnt have big raids!! If u had a blue item (not epic...just blue).. it was such an amazing thing!!!!

After blizz changed and turned to a boring greedy system... All the magic was lost. It was not the wrath of leech king, it was MUCH MUCH before that. Much before the first expansion, because they gave this craps into the game.. People without effort become overpowered and raids were pointless.. pvp world was pointless, exploring was pointless. All the lands of wow got empty sadenly, people stand like zombies into vendors, waiting to enter bgs...like what we experience in republic and empire fleet... infront a box... boring.. lol

I played world of warcraft from day 1, at 2004-5 cant remember (I am sure it was 2004 because it was months before I move in England for a couple of years, either ways I am so bored to check when wow released now..)... So I know what wow was and what wow become...

Now as a desperate method to earn people back.. they released little kung fu pandas.. But they dont look for the old players... the many millions they had.. They point to ages like 4-5 years old.. hahahahaha

Swtor game points to bigger ages than 8-9 years old... but for a strange reason, the developers choosed the new greedy wow system that is pointing to 4-5 years old ages.. They dont have to do much.

its a failure.. this system is a failure..

Edited by Oyranos