Matt Brobmerg interview on free-to-play

vandana_

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So our subscribers are going to be advantaged in this world, and from the feedback we've got from our subscribers they seem to be happy with it.

But it's not just about how we are charging people for the experience; we are also looking at creating very frequent content updates as well.

We seem happy?! Who's giving them this feedback? It's one of you reading this because he specifically says subscribers.

And Matt...1 thing every 6 weeks is most certainly NOT "very frequent".

Thank you for the link...but Matt sounds clueless from what I read.

He would make a great politician, he definitely knows how to answer a question without actually answering the question....

Bottom Line is they made a game with a horrible end game, thats why they lost over a million subscribers after they hit 50.... I like how there trying to spin it by saying it's the subscription model that caused this and not the lack of end game content...

Doesn't help they just took MMO mechanics from 10 years ago and slapped Biowares story telling on top of it... If they would of took some risks and created something more original it might of been a different story... If they would of just added better end game content more dynamic / sandbox designs they probably would of kept most of those subscribers who left....

We seem happy?! Who's giving them this feedback? It's one of you reading this because he specifically says subscribers.

THIS, this is what caused a lot of people to lose faith and move on. The bugs and time could have been overlooked but not when you keep seeing how completely and utterly clueless BioWare really is.

Here is a metric for them. You have bleed almost 2M people from your game which means MOST OF YOUR PLAYERS WERE NOT HAPPY!

This game is doomed when being handled by people that live in such a "creative bubble".

This game is doomed when being handled by people that live in such a "creative bubble".

EXACTLY! I don't believe for even a moment that they're truly this incompetent...but...he's not the 1st guy to sound totally off base. Seriously, I really wonder if there are fools at EA that believe this stuff?! Because it's being said so many times, it leads me to believe that maybe someone there actually believes it...

It blows my mind. This game could be turned around in a month with someone who wasn't a complete tool...

I'm happy. :p

But firstly, I don't play end-game, and really have no intention to, and secondly I've decided I'm not going to get upset about F2P until they actually release it.

As long they come through with the "value in the premium experience" (which I read as making it worth our while to subscribe) I'll be fine with it at least personally. I really do wish they'd acknowledge some of the dissatisfaction with the game though. I mean, sweeping all the criticism under the rug like that may make a good business line, but it doesn't endear you to those have legitimate complaints.

Is this the same interview from the video at gamescon? Feels like it's the same to me. A "manager" spinning PR nonsense coming off as ignorant of the things he's "managing".

Well we looked at it and thought, what is the size of opportunity for your brand? There are tens of millions of Star Wars fans, how many have tried our game? How many would like to try it? Clearly the awareness of the brand is really high so what's standing in the way? We did a lot of research and found that people who gave it a try but left found the subscription to be the biggest barrier. So it was a pretty straightforward decision for us.

This here is odd to me. I read in a different thread how they weren't going to the Star Wars convention thingy (Celebration) and instead only went to Gamescon.....but.....if the subscription is the problem and there's lots of star wars fans that would play it going F2P....and it's about making it easier for a Star Wars fan to get into the game....why wouldn't you go to a Star Wars convention to tell them that?

This dude is a managerial and communications guy......PR for the win at BW. Spew BS in interviews and censor the forums. That should do it.

(disclaimer...it's their company and they can do what they want. The above is my opinion and I'll share it where I want.)

I'm happy. :p

But firstly, I don't play end-game, and really have no intention to, and secondly I've decided I'm not going to get upset about F2P until they actually release it.

As long they come through with the "value in the premium experience" (which I read as making it worth our while to subscribe) I'll be fine with it at least personally. I really do wish they'd acknowledge some of the dissatisfaction with the game though. I mean, sweeping all the criticism under the rug like that may make a good business line, but it doesn't endear you to those have legitimate complaints.

YOU!!!! ;)

Lemme ask...are you happy the game is going F2P, or are you happy with the game?! It sounds more to me like you're simply happy with the game. That's not what he's saying...he's saying subscribers are happy about the game going F2P...not with the game.

I read in a different thread how they weren't going to the Star Wars convention thingy (Celebration) and instead only went to Gamescon.....but.....if the subscription is the problem and there's lots of star wars fans that would play it going F2P....and it's about making it easier for a Star Wars fan to get into the game....why wouldn't you go to a Star Wars convention to tell them that?

Great point!!!

Lemme ask...are you happy the game is going F2P, or are you happy with the game?! It sounds more to me like you're simply happy with the game. That's not what he's saying...he's saying subscribers are happy about the game going F2P...not with the game.

Honestly I'm just fine with it. It would be very helpful if we knew more of what they were planning, of course. I mean, F2P can mean so many things, and without any concrete details the gossip around here does get pretty bad. Really though, as long as my $15/month remains a good value, I'm happy to let them do whatever they see fit.

Edited by heydiddlediddle

Honestly I'm just fine with it. It would be very helpful if we knew more of the details, of course. I mean, F2P can mean so many things, and without any concrete details the gossip around here does get pretty bad. Really though, as long as my $15/month remains a good value, I'm happy to let them do whatever they see fit.

I think that's the perfect attitude to have. It's one of acceptance though, not excitement.

Maybe BW would let us just pay the $15 sub every 6 weeks as well. By the logic they are using, we pay for 4 weeks of OUR content and the two weeks for those that are freeloading. Hmmm???

I don't see anything wrong with what he is saying. Him saying that we like "it", he is in context saying that "it" is the fact that subscribers will get coins to use in the store. Of course we like that.

Some of you folks are taking what he is saying out of context.

He would make a great politician, he definitely knows how to answer a question without actually answering the question....

Bottom Line is they made a game with a horrible end game, thats why they lost over a million subscribers after they hit 50.... I like how there trying to spin it by saying it's the subscription model that caused this and not the lack of end game content...

Doesn't help they just took MMO mechanics from 10 years ago and slapped Biowares story telling on top of it... If they would of took some risks and created something more original it might of been a different story... If they would of just added better end game content more dynamic / sandbox designs they probably would of kept most of those subscribers who left....

Bingo.

I think that's the perfect attitude to have. It's one of acceptance though, not excitement.

You're absolutely correct. I'm mean I have no objections to growing the game, and if they make more money with F2P and that translates into more content for us, I'll certainly be excited then. But in the mean time a little apprehension and some hopeful optimism (maybe even against my better judgement) seems to be what's on the menu.

Is this the same interview from the video at gamescon? Feels like it's the same to me. A "manager" spinning PR nonsense coming off as ignorant of the things he's "managing".

This here is odd to me. I read in a different thread how they weren't going to the Star Wars convention thingy (Celebration) and instead only went to Gamescon.....but.....if the subscription is the problem and there's lots of star wars fans that would play it going F2P....and it's about making it easier for a Star Wars fan to get into the game....why wouldn't you go to a Star Wars convention to tell them that?

This dude is a managerial and communications guy......PR for the win at BW. Spew BS in interviews and censor the forums. That should do it.

(disclaimer...it's their company and they can do what they want. The above is my opinion and I'll share it where I want.)

Its Odd to me too.

I mean I know these conventions are really geared towards new games that are coming out.I would think that since you are changing this game to f2p model essentially your relaunching the game.That being said I would think you would want to be at these conventions with a relaunch celebration.

But there is one problem with this.Most of the people would say this is being done because the game is a complete failure.And that there lies the problem an probably why they are not at the conventions with there game at this current point an time with the state of the game in its current situation.

You're absolutely correct. I'm mean I have no objections to growing the game, and if they make more money with F2P and that translates into more content for us, I'll certainly be excited then. But in the mean time a little apprehension and some hopeful optimism (maybe even against my better judgement) seems to be what's on the menu.

Nothing wrong with that. I too, overall, like the game though there have been some huge disappointments. I'm still hopeful that things turn around, but I'm finding it hard to be optimistic. I'll continue at least until I've finished all 8 class stories, mixing other games in between. After a couple of days of GW2, I find myself thinking that if someone were to develop an MMO that had the best parts of GW2, SWTOR and WoW, they'd have a fan for life in me lol.

YOU!!!! ;)

Happy with the game and its current state, and happy that they're transitioning to F2P so quickly instead of sitting around on their butts doing nothing about it.

People are making a stink about how many people left the game, but how do you know why they all left? Where are you getting your information from, and what's the size of your population sample?

Happy with the game and its current state, and happy that they're transitioning to F2P so quickly instead of sitting around on their butts doing nothing about it.

People are making a stink about how many people left the game, but how do you know why they all left? Where are you getting your information from, and what's the size of your population sample?

I'm pretty damn sure they didn't leave because they couldn't afford $15/month like EA is saying. FCS, they paid $60 for the box knowing about the $15/month fee.

Sooooooooo much PR talk. It's just the same garbage puked out again and again and it's really disheartening

Great job(sarcasm) though, doing an interview with a pretty big publication and he's giving answers like 'I dont know' and 'Yes'. I feel bad for the person that had to ask those questions, it was like pulling teeth. Please Bioware, give us a reason to have faith in you again, PLEASE

Edited by FourTwent

Sooooooooo much PR talk. It's just the same garbage puked out again and again and it's really disheartening

Great job(sarcasm) though, doing an interview with a pretty big publication and he's giving answers like 'I dont know' and 'Yes'. I feel bad for the person that had to ask those questions, it was like pulling teeth. Please Bioware, give us a reason to have faith in you again, PLEASE

BioWare is dead and gone, friend. Your pleas are falling on EA's ears now.

Good luck.