The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT 'nerf' incoming

Suryi

Don't PvP very often, but I can say from the PvE end this would break some things. I depend on my unload and missles to sometimes hold aggro on those far distance mobs. Not saying I wouldn't be able to compensate for a range reduction, but I feel like it would break whats coolest about our class. The entire reason I rolled a PT was because I wanted to be a ranged tank. Now granted you cant exclusively tank at range but it does allow you to hold aggro from a distance on a few mobs. It was something unique and cool that SWTOR had which no other game did.

One day it would be nice to see a game developer approach PvE and PvP as the two different issues they are. The 'nerf/balance' tactic has been tried in the past and all it does is screw up PvE.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If PTs are degraded to warrior like range I believe a warrior like "jump" should be considered.

Also the fact that they said heavy armor should be in more dangerous situations totally contradicts what the Mercenary is.

I think the real fix that is needed to level out the damage on the PT is to take out Intimidation and Prototype Burn Enhancers. Dots are 25-30% of the Pyros DPS and if that's toned down it should come to level out with the rest of the ACs.

Edited by BillEdwardz

Really?

I thought it's having the highest burst in the game,

Operatives, Snipers and Marauders can do as much if not more burst.

or the highest pvp sustained dps,

No that's Marauders.

or having two main attacks completely ignore armor, or having all (but one that is seldom used) instant attacks.

Our only main attack that completely ignores armor is flameburst. Railshot only ignores something like 73% of armor. You are aware that Marauders & Juggernauts also only have instant attacks apart from Ravage?

I stopped reading. HAHAHAAHA. If that's really your opinion... Well your wrong. Ever wonder why in rateds sents/maras aren't the highest dps? Oh that's b/c PT/vanguards are.

i cant stop laughing , if mara is not the highest dps, then u play it wrong.

all BW should do is HUGE buffed shieldtech, it is awful.

Oh No! They are going to reduce my range to... exactly the distance i'm at when I do my best DPS. :eek: Still have Grapple and Electro-Dart, so i'm cool with a range change. Don't mess with my procs, though. Unless of course you want to increase Rocket Punch's Railshot Proc to 75%, then I can't complain. :D

Operatives, Snipers and Marauders can do as much if not more burst.

Snipers maybe. Maras only as carnage and if someone is stupid enough not to interrupt their gore rotation (i.e. - their burst is avoidable). Operatives? Don't make me laugh

No that's Marauders.

Wrong! Powertechs provide better sustained in pvp - their overall damage numbers are much higher...

Our only main attack that completely ignores armor is flameburst. Railshot only ignores something like 73% of armor. You are aware that Marauders & Juggernauts also only have instant attacks apart from Ravage?.

You continue to post false information. Railshot as a pyrotech has 90% arpen - so if I have 50% armor damage mitigation - Railshot treats it as if it's 5% mitigation - which is completely negligible.

As for instant attacks - are you seriously comparing a real melee class like a marauder or a jugg, that has to be at 4m for almost all their attacks, to PTs? Which have just one attack at 4m, one at 10m and the rest at 30m?

Melees always have instant attacks - otherwise it will be impossible for them to compete with range - same as why range need to be based mainly on cast\channeled attacks (or to a degree, dots) - otherwise they get a huge advantage being able to cast on the move at range - which is what the case is here, and why it's being nerfed.

I just hope they nerf Pyrotech i play Advanced Prototype and im tired of dying with like 6 attacks from a Pyrotech. All the pyrotechs will whine because they hate requiring skill but im glad there nerfin em. I usually play melee range anyway. good job bioware!

Agreed, played the hybrid spec first, enjoyed it, and now I'm full AP. You still take Pyro over AP to rwz for the burst, but AP can be nice addition to the team. But, they really need to fix the AP stance. I tested both builds, with AP stance and/or tank/pyro stance, and there is just no point in going AP stance. You don't need the 15% speed boost that you have to spec. You don't need the heat management that you have to spec. And you don't need 5% increase to elemental attacks.

AP doesn't really need more skill tho. It's just a bit different playstyle. You have like one extra CD to consider, not much skill required there. And you don't quite get so good openers at range. Yeah, pyros will melt you down easy, as they should (You can still win them, but not by DPS racing right at their face). Example: Fight with the pyro, he prolly hits either of his stun, snare, activate overrides, run to your teammates, pull (if he doesn't come by himself), profit. And when the pyro is in the action, just mark him, and call out DPS support. Pyro can't do much there then, and requires a lot of effort from his teammates to keep him alive.

The only 'nerf' they should do, really, is adjust the range of TD to 10m. That's it. (Honestly, pyros without TD are no problem at all in rateds. I take AP over a Pyro w/o TD anyday). That's what's giving the pyro the sick burst with excellent range opener, and an excellent finisher. It doesn't have much utility to get to that 'danger zone' too much. Often the enemies come right at ya. Nerfing them too much is just BW giving into the cries of people who know nothing about the spec.

Edited by SneiK

I just hope they nerf Pyrotech i play Advanced Prototype and im tired of dying with like 6 attacks from a Pyrotech. All the pyrotechs will whine because they hate requiring skill but im glad there nerfin em. I usually play melee range anyway. good job bioware!

Because advanced proto requires skill. :rolleyes:

Or any spec for any class for that matter.

Where people get off saying anything in this game is "hard" is rediculous to me.

I have 6 50's A vanguard/ptt nerf means nothing to me, I put up rediculous stats on whatever character im on. Every class is good. People just suck.

****** players find stuff to cry about instead of looking in the mirrior and figuring out why they are so bad.

^ Mmo gaming 101.

Snipers maybe. Maras only as carnage and if someone is stupid enough not to interrupt their gore rotation (i.e. - their burst is avoidable). Operatives? Don't make me laugh

Anyone who thinks operatives have no burst as a class left are out of thier minds. Go duel a skilled op, I bet you he wrecks your ****. Especially if you're a powertech. Operatives just arent set up for group play as much as 1v1 play. Thier sustained and burst with lack of cooldowns isnt an issue. But let one with all his **** catch you alone and you're basically in the spawn. That hasnt changed. Unless they suck.

Wrong! Powertechs provide better sustained in pvp - their overall damage numbers are much higher...

The 2 classes wih the highest potential damage PER SECOND output in the game are maruaders and sentinels that know what they are doing and arent focused down the whole game, and hybrid sorc/sages. That basically have infinate force. The most damage ive ever seen in a warzone 1.5 mill was from a sorc Post hybrid sorc nerf to chain lightning. And the highest Damage per second was from a marauder at 2500 damage per second. Ive never seen anything even close to that from a powertech.

You continue to post false information. Railshot as a pyrotech has 90% arpen - so if I have 50% armor damage mitigation - Railshot treats it as if it's 5% mitigation - which is completely negligible.

As for instant attacks - are you seriously comparing a real melee class like a marauder or a jugg, that has to be at 4m for almost all their attacks, to PTs? Which have just one attack at 4m, one at 10m and the rest at 30m?

Melees always have instant attacks - otherwise it will be impossible for them to compete with range - same as why range need to be based mainly on cast\channeled attacks (or to a degree, dots) - otherwise they get a huge advantage being able to cast on the move at range - which is what the case is here, and why it's being nerfed.

Railshot is white damage though. Meaning every class has an innate chance to dodge/parry it. Especially assassins/juggs/mara's with thier parry bubbles.

All in all im not worried about this change. Good players will still wreck. Bad players will still suck.

I just had to clear up a little misinformation :rolleyes:

Edited by Bbizzle

Only a side-note, but several people have tested this and verified that the armor penetration given by the skills in the different trees is not simpy added up. In fact, 73% is the correct result - not 90%. Be careful when accusing ppl to post false information... ;-)

Edited by Lemoncurry

i cant stop laughing , if mara is not the highest dps, then u play it wrong.

all BW should do is HUGE buffed shieldtech, it is awful.

Watch the scoreboards at the end of that match. Mara/sents are a pain to kill and thats why we have great dps. But still you will see PT/VG at the top of the list with most dps AND deaths.

What makes powertech's one of the best dps classes is their range.

It's true that many times seems unfair but renember that along with high dps powertechs are squishy. Yeah sure, they wear high armor but still lack of deffensive cooldowns so if you know how to play against them they're are screwed.

PvP is not always a dps race. If you pug you'll be succesfull 90% of the time just dpsing but when you face other good players skill comes into play and range is the only tool that can make the difference for powertechs.

30m on TD may be too much but i think that the actual range of FB its okay as a way to counter the high survavility of other classes compared to ours.

Just for the record: I totally agree; Pt as full tank suck really hard in PvP.

Juggs mega buff? Have you seen the hybrid Imm/Veng build? Its the strongest tank spec in the game post-Assassin nerf and the only spec that can compete in a duel vs a good Marauder. Rage is obviously one of the strongest DPS specs right now. If you can't kill an Assassin tank 1v1 as a Mara then you really should rethink your rotation. Snipers are fine and the only classes in NEED of a buff are Arsenal Mercs and Lightning Sorcs, which are considered only PvE specs these days.

barring the fact that a hybrid jugg is really a dps, in dps gear, trying to be tanky...does not a tank make. A jugg tank is full 31 immortal and in tank gear...you should base all assumptions from that fact first.

Cant possible be anything BUT flameburst in that list...Det is a Bounty Hunter ability not PT specific, as is railshot. They would be changing the Merc as well with that...which theyre whiny girls already.

Force Lightning is an Inquisitor ability that both advanced classes have, but Sorcerers can use it from long range, unlike the Assassin (granted the Assassin can with Recklessness). Easy fix to the problem you brought up with that is have Mercs have longer range with it.

4m range on our Flame burst will make pyrotech useless against melees even more so now. So it weakens pyros, but makes sorcs and mercs stronger and makes the pyro a free kill for maras,juggs, snipers, dps ops, and dps sins. I have zero issue with IM and RS being put to 10m, but if you nerf Flame burst to 4m, you better compensate by giving us more defensive cooldowns. And dont give my that crap about heavy armor, heavy armor is junk in pvp, as 80% of all attacks ignore mitigation from armor.

Marauders SHOULD be High DPS , the highest IMO , well them and Snipers

They can't Heal or Tank , They can Only DPS .. If thats all you can do you, traded choice and options later for whoop***** now.

That's not the class design as stated by Bioware. A DPS spec is a DPS spec. It doesn't matter what you can do if you go to the trainer and respec.

Funny so now will be PT legitimly meele really nice..........

If they think they will do same with pyro mercs then I quiting that day and screw you Bioware you are starting really pissed me off with that mess you doing around bounty hunters.

First arsenal merc nerf for whinig meeles then on questions about interupt you stay silent and now this you are on thin ice with nerfing bounty hunter lots of ppl which played here canceled mostly becouse of your ill-conceived nerfs.

Funny so now will be PT legitimly meele really nice..........

If they think they will do same with pyro mercs then I quiting that day and screw you Bioware you are starting really pissed me off with that mess you doing around bounty hunters.

First arsenal merc nerf for whinig meeles then on questions about interupt you stay silent and now this you are on thin ice with nerfing bounty hunter lots of ppl which played here canceled mostly becouse of your ill-conceived nerfs.

The merc has a point.