GA Event = Amateurish Design

mleischer

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fallaxen either has some very specific mechanics involved or he's buggy.

I'll put this in a spoiler just in case:

Detroyed all 4 crates and then attacked him - invulnerable to my attacks

Destroyed one crate and then attacked him - he was vulnerable for a short time until I got him to 3/4 health and then he became invulnerable again, even when I destroyed more crates.

Destroyed one crate and then attacked - invulnerable until I dropped aggro and he started attacking someone else, then he became vulnerable again.

After 4 tries I finally got the quest completed. The only thing I can think of is that he has to be standing right next to a recently destroyed crate for him to be invulnerable and to remain so.

It was frustrating, especially with so many people waiting to tag him next (even in groups).

Specific mechanics. Notice how the crates give out an electrical pulse effect when you blow them up? They disable his shield if it hits the shield. You have to drag him to one of the capactiors, blow it up, then dps hard while the shield is down. When it comes back up, drag him to another one and repeat until he is dead.

It's honestly not that hard...

Edited by Daeada

Specific mechanics. Notice how the crates give out an electrical pulse effect when you blow them up? They disable his shield if it hits the shield. You have to drag him to one of the capactiors, blow it up, then dps hard while the shield is down. When it comes back up, drag him to another one and repeat until he is dead.

It's honestly not that hard...

I've been spending all day on Nar Shaadaa telling people this. Yet the "he's bugged" cry still persists.

BioWare is damned if they do damned if they don't with people i swear

first people wanted a longer event that will take more effort than the Rakghoul Plague event on Tatooine that is also multi world and they wanted a notification before it happened so they can manage their time accordingly

So what does BioWare do? They are making a longer event, a scavenger hunt, which is a multi world event and even gave people notice before it happened so people could set up and some are STILL complaining?! wow...just...wow....

Or they could release content that doesn't rely on limited time gimmick events to try to rouse players' interest.

This event has finally made me realise - the development process going into this game is absolutely terrible! How long did it take me to work that out, how embarrassing.

Events should involve everyone and make a noticeable change to the environment and people there, causing change and forcing people to group up building communities, not just make people run about all over the place pressing stuff.

^ This person gets it... standing round a crate for hours is not engaging the community, it doesn't even engage the singular... all I am seeing in chat is complaints of "Come bak later BS"... its simply poor design and shows an embarassing amount of MMO inexperience there is in this game. And for a game supposedly built around story, this event sucks big time imo.. its a FAIL for me and like another poster has said, if this is the shape of things to come, then I foresee that redline getting closer and closer for both subbers and F2P ... even they wont wanna stick around playing a game with so little enjoyment to offer.

Rhakghoul Event - 8/10

Chiven Event - 2/10.. and that's only cos I am in a generous mood!

Note to BW - There are far better ways to try and get 6-months to resub to the game, rather than implementing this ridiculous time sync event with next to useless rewards, which promotes boredom, frustration and almost forcing players to turn ninja clickers with all the timers placed on quest objectives!... maybe you should just put a sign on loading screen.. COME BACK LATER!!!

Edited by Bloodstealer

I wonder if part of the issue is the testing process doesn't occur on a heavily populated server, internal testing only for events I believe.

Many of the quests centered on a more puzzle based mechanic or explored the use of environment and I would actively encourage BW to pursue this option. However, it was barely challenging. In fact the only element of challenge was trying to co-ordinate with other players enough to get the quest done.

15 minutes spent in Gratham's Estate for a certain quest trying to organise and get in some sort of order for my turn before my brain finally kicked in and reminded me of hard won experience with the Corellia Black Hole dailies, switch to another instance. Low and behold I was the only player present, quest finished in 10 seconds.

I understand the rush of players, especially those level 50s who have been sat on fleet for months just plugging away at warzones and OPs, to see some new content but this deluge of players to the areas caused most of the misery I was seeing in general chat and on the forums.

The shear volume of players (at one point there were 4 instances of Nar Shaddaa up and running NML EU) meant that certain collectables were hard to find, which is fine if their contents were guarranteed. But, they are not and RNG was kicking many players in the teeth for an already relatively scarce item. (I preferred the paper chase required to get the red rakghoul pet during the Tattooine event, same location for all items, hard to find for some of them but at least they were there for everyone)

The haphazard stacking of mobs as people rushed in to click terminals before others had finished.

An inability to learn even basic combat tactics because if you so much as paused others stepped in to take the place in the queue.

Combat that might have been a decent fight (turret on DK not sure what Rep had) being so simple because there were so many waiting their turn they had nothing better to do than kill the incomming mobs.

Even the afore mentioned quest on the Gratham Estate had promise but for the number of players clicking on everything.

Please BW, if you are going to put puzzles into the game make them hard, I'd love to see more challenges that have timers attached to them or require me to line up any number of mirrors. But make the difficulty related to the task, not trying to accomodate around the number of other players.

I would rather see genuinely challenging material behind a barrier so you can choose to solo it or go in with a few pals rather than have all and sundry there smashing their way through.

The only bonus is at this stage it looks like it is a non-repeatable quest chain so I only nead to worry about the quests that weren't ready yet.

Edited by Vhaegrant

Or they could release content that doesn't rely on limited time gimmick events to try to rouse players' interest.

Agreed.

Give us real permenent content in the form of a new raid/flashpoint/planet whatever. Now I see Eaware isn't even trying with this game now since this is our promised "content".

I have a day left on my subscription. Saw the world even launched today, and I resubscribed for 30 days (not to be billed for another day).

I got in, excited to try the event. Then I got to Dromund Kaas and saw what this "race" really meant.

Sorry, I don't intend to spend my play time standing in one spot waiting to click a box.

If THIS is the kind of content we can expect more of, F2P won't be enough to save the game.

Sigh.

Once again, I am...

This event has finally made me realise - the development process going into this game is absolutely terrible! How long did it take me to work that out, how embarrassing.

Events should involve everyone and make a noticeable change to the environment and people there, causing change and forcing people to group up building communities, not just make people run about all over the place pressing stuff.

Agreed completely. Too bad there's bound to be numerous flaming White-knights/Biodrones that will defend this gimmicky crap to the bitter end...:rak_03:

So, back to my original post, I'll elaberate, and if I spell stuff wrong, so be it:

1 - Vandrayk's - Run around looking for crates on Nar Shaddaa - Took nearly an hour even after switching to lowest population instance.

2 - Rakata Eating Utensils - Follow bounty hunter, etc. Loved this one. Well done!

3 - Fossilized Krayt Dragon Pearl - Slice 3 terminals, go back, easy!

4 - Preserved Colicoid Egg - Spam right click on box until I eventually got it after about half an hour.Why couldn't this be instanced, or have multiple box locations ?

5 - Collected writings - THIS IS THE SINGLE WORST QUEST DESIGN I HAVE EVER SEEN. Stand around, spamclicking the control panel. On off chance you get control, another player seems to get control also, so took 3 attempts and over an hour to do. Needs to be instanced, PERIOD!

6 - Shard of Harterra - See number 4. Should be multiple turrets or instanced.

Questionable Motive or whatever main quest if called. Overall, a nice quest, except for Fallaxen fight. On paper, Fallaxen fight is super easy. However, I have no idea how many times I attempted this, and it took well over an hour due to the mechanics requiring the person that start the fight also having to be the one to take down the shield. If not done correctly, he's impossible to kill, and I'm fairly sure some players were intentionally doing this for griefing jollies. If the capacitors weren't so damn specific, it would have been a piece of cake.

I like the spirit of the event, but my issue is with the execution - it's horrible for half the quests. Saying "It's a race, play on off hours, etc..." fails to realize that this is supposed to be fun.

A final thought, not all gamers can mash a mouse button 200 times per minute. Imagine doing this if you have a wrist issue...

Could be great. It's anything but.

Show me any MMO that does that... oh you cant.... It's a freakin treasure hunt, I'm not sure what you guys were expecting.... Not to mention this has been a 100% theme park MMO from day one.... Your delusional if you think it's going to change into a sandbox MMO..... Most other MMO Live events consist of a Dev spawning mobs in one spot all day.....

The Rak event was really good.

This one isn't as good, although it would still be decent except for the bugs and the issues with allowing others to mess with your stage of the quest.

Day 2 of this event and the new quest is 100 people standing at the same box waiting to use it. Lets make the event longer by making everyone stand around. I feel sorry for anyone trying to do this on peak hours. The only good thing about his is event is you don't have to do it every day like the Rakghoul.

Day 2 of this event and the new quest is 100 people standing at the same box waiting to use it. Lets make the event longer by making everyone stand around. I feel sorry for anyone trying to do this on peak hours. The only good thing about his is event is you don't have to do it every day like the Rakghoul.

QFT. And this is ridiculous. Almost every clickable item in this game is usable by multiple people at the same time. It's not like they don't have how to do this figured out. Why on earth would you decide to put something like this in a world event???

I really wish I didn't want a bowcaster for my van. This thing has quickly become un-fun.

Note to BW - There are far better ways to try and get 6-months to resub to the game, rather than implementing this ridiculous time sync event with next to useless rewards, which promotes boredom, frustration and almost forcing players to turn ninja clickers with all the timers placed on quest objectives!... maybe you should just put a sign on loading screen.. COME BACK LATER!!!

QFT I'm a 6-monther letting his sub drop. I have enough time to have tried this event, but... really? Why do I want to see if I can click faster than whomever's standing over these blue glowies at the moment? That's supposed to be fun?

Meh.

So, back to my original post, I'll elaberate, and if I spell stuff wrong, so be it:

1 - Vandrayk's - Run around looking for crates on Nar Shaddaa - Took nearly an hour even after switching to lowest population instance.

2 - Rakata Eating Utensils - Follow bounty hunter, etc. Loved this one. Well done!

3 - Fossilized Krayt Dragon Pearl - Slice 3 terminals, go back, easy!

4 - Preserved Colicoid Egg - Spam right click on box until I eventually got it after about half an hour.Why couldn't this be instanced, or have multiple box locations ?

5 - Collected writings - THIS IS THE SINGLE WORST QUEST DESIGN I HAVE EVER SEEN. Stand around, spamclicking the control panel. On off chance you get control, another player seems to get control also, so took 3 attempts and over an hour to do. Needs to be instanced, PERIOD!

6 - Shard of Harterra - See number 4. Should be multiple turrets or instanced.

Questionable Motive or whatever main quest if called. Overall, a nice quest, except for Fallaxen fight. On paper, Fallaxen fight is super easy. However, I have no idea how many times I attempted this, and it took well over an hour due to the mechanics requiring the person that start the fight also having to be the one to take down the shield. If not done correctly, he's impossible to kill, and I'm fairly sure some players were intentionally doing this for griefing jollies. If the capacitors weren't so damn specific, it would have been a piece of cake.

I like the spirit of the event, but my issue is with the execution - it's horrible for half the quests. Saying "It's a race, play on off hours, etc..." fails to realize that this is supposed to be fun.

A final thought, not all gamers can mash a mouse button 200 times per minute. Imagine doing this if you have a wrist issue...

Could be great. It's anything but.

Better add on today's A Lead

-One box. One droid. ONLY ONE PERSON CAN USE THAT DROID.

While that person is using that droid, NO ONE ELSE CAN CLICK THE BOX.

Thank god its a short duration but now we've got 20+ people spam clicking the box.

One side effect is that we've got more groups going now.

Except none of our quests have ever needed us to do that and if it was intended, perhaps a hint in quest log? You know to job people's memories that we can group for these quests.

You spend all this time soloing that when it comes time to group you go "Oh yeah... I can group with other people for quests."

Edit: I just did it again on my sniper and I found another bug.

The droid breaks. No that's not the bug.

The droid breaks and you have to repair it.

I hope you repaired it immediatly when it broke because if you dont repair it immediately; The crate where the droid comes from is lootable again.

And if someone loots it...

YOUR DROID DISAPPEARS.

And you have to wait the 1 or so minute for your quest to fail to try again.

GREAT DESIGN BIOWARE.

Edited by DakSomtaaw
New information

Better add on today's A Lead

-One box. One droid. ONLY ONE PERSON CAN USE THAT DROID.

While that person is using that droid, NO ONE ELSE CAN CLICK THE BOX.

Thank god its a short duration but now we've got 20+ people spam clicking the box.

One side effect is that we've got more groups going now.

Except none of our quests have ever needed us to do that and if it was intended, perhaps a hint in quest log? You know to job people's memories that we can group for these quests.

You spend all this time soloing that when it comes time to group you go "Oh yeah... I can group with other people for quests."

Edit: I just did it again on my sniper and I found another bug.

The droid breaks. No that's not the bug.

The droid breaks and you have to repair it.

I hope you repaired it immediatly when it broke because if you dont repair it immediately; The crate where the droid comes from is lootable again.

And if someone loots it...

YOUR DROID DISAPPEARS.

And you have to wait the 1 or so minute for your quest to fail to try again.

GREAT DESIGN BIOWARE.

Not good. :(

Release day Event-Breaking bugs? I don't honestly know how the team can try and hype this game and continue to release sub-par content. I really don't. It's like when my friend told me that some of the devs didn't know about the "Big ***" Jedi Guardian belt bug. It is either sad or pathetic, I can't quite figure out which.

For all the people complaining out there please show me another MMO that had done a live event better? Every Live Event I've seen on other MMO's comes down to a Dev just spawning boss mobs in one area for a few hours and randomly handing out a few gifts... If your lucky you got one, if not to bad....

I waited a day before doing the live event and I didn't run into any issues... went smoothly and got everything completed within a few hours.... Difference is i'm not in the mind set that I have to do it the second it became available... Way to many people out their with ZERO patience...

For all the people complaining out there please show me another MMO that had done a live event better? Every Live Event I've seen on other MMO's comes down to a Dev just spawning boss mobs in one area for a few hours and randomly handing out a few gifts... If your lucky you got one, if not to bad....

I waited a day before doing the live event and I didn't run into any issues... went smoothly and got everything completed within a few hours.... Difference is i'm not in the mind set that I have to do it the second it became available... Way to many people out their with ZERO patience...

GW1 had Live Events for holidays at least once a month for 7 years. The events had a new twist each year and you were always able to get the reward if you participated in the event. And they did that with a tiny design team on a B2P model =\

To be fair if you didn't start the last one early you didn't get as much out of it in the end.

Patience is patience, but it doesn't help with stuff you can't get because you waited too long.

Certainly WoW, WAR and LOTRO did pretty well with thier events, although the Rak event has to be up there with the best (non-one off release) event I've seen.

Edited by Goretzu

Rifts world events? They covered ever zone allowing everyone to part take in it. You only had to fight with people in your level bracket for items. There were 2-3 zones that you could complete the event in.

WoW holiday events very few quest had one area with 1 mob or item to interact with. They were long enough and the ending known to allow people to do it whenever.

Why are people rushing to get it done? Look at the Rakghoul event how many people were unable to complete it because you had to wait a day to get the newly regardless if it was already up. If you missed 3 days of the event you missed out on the complete social gear set. People don’t want to get screwed again.

It takes longer...but that's not because it has more content. It's because they implemented an artificial grind with these boxes which is horribly frustrating and not fun.

I just finished reading a Blog from GW2 where the guy was basically saying they designed to make the game FUN rather than to make the game a time sink. That is the key problem with this Event and the Key Problem actually with SWTOR. I found leveling my first character fun; I was very excited even convinced my wife to play it with me and bought 2 accounts. After 50 we have nothing but time sinks and lets face it grinding isn't fun, this event isn't fun, I am starting to think this game isn't fun...

To be fair if you didn't start the last one early you didn't get as much out of it in the end.

Patience is patience, but it doesn't help with stuff you can't get because you waited too long.

Certainly WoW, WAR and LOTRO did pretty well with thier events, although the Rak event has to be up there with the best (non-one off release) event I've seen.

On the rakgoul live event I only go to play the last 3 days because I was on vacation, but I still managed to get 2 sets of containment gear, 4 lvl 50 green/black crystals and a pet plus all the boss fight codex for the live event...

Sorry but this comes down to people throwing a temper-tantrum because they all want it right now.... Not even 30 mins pass after the event went live that people weren't on the forums QQ'ing about this or that.... It's really sad what most gamers have become... self-entitled brats...

Now don't get me wrong having bugs in the event is annoying and bioware has made some bad decisions but a lot of the posts in these forums are very hostile....

On the rakgoul live event I only go to play the last 3 days because I was on vacation, but I still managed to get 2 sets of containment gear, 4 lvl 50 green/black crystals and a pet plus all the boss fight codex for the live event...

Sorry but this comes down to people throwing a temper-tantrum because they all want it right now.... Not even 30 mins pass after the event went live that people weren't on the forums QQ'ing about this or that.... It's really sad what most gamers have become... self-entitled brats...

Now don't get me wrong having bugs in the event is annoying and bioware has made some bad decisions but a lot of the posts in these forums are very hostile....

Why would you qualify someone who wants the game to be fun as a 'self entitled brat'

Why do you think sitting around fighting over clicking on the box for even 30 minutes is fun?