[1.3.5 Patch] BUG - Colonel Vorgath

Okay I don't usually comment, but I think it is funny all of the conclusions that people are drawing based on guesses and their own 'expertise'.

First of all, I agree that this patch and several others have been problematic to say the least. But I know for a fact that one of those had nothing to do with unit, integration, system or regression testing. It was actually a code-control and release management issue (they implemented the wrong version of the code). I suspect that the people responsible for that one paid a heavy price.

Anyway, my point is that there are many potential points of failure in the software lifecycle and unless we are intimately involved in the actual processes of this particular release there is no way to know where the lapse was. And yes, there was obviously a lapse. It could have been in the coding, it could have been in the testing, it could have been in the dev to qa migration, or the qa to staging migration, or the staging to production migration. It could have been a last minute tweak...who knows.

We all know SWTOR employees have been throught the ringer the last couple of months. Report the bug and let them fix it. Enjoy your new pet and free BH comms. If you are so upset with the game, then please find something else to do. This game still rocks! No, its not perfect and they can do a lot to improve it. But constantly whining and complaining will not make it better.

Keep your heads up old and new Bioware employees. The vast majority of us still love you!

Quintain

Edited by Quintain

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But constantly whining and complaining will not make it better.

Actually, it will. As evidenced by this thread. 6 1/2 hours of complaints got a response from BW, then another 1 1/2 hour got them to confirm there is a bug.

They obviously need our complaints because they have no idea what's going on with the game they produced. Good try though.

Actually, it will. As evidenced by this thread. 6 1/2 hours of complaints got a response from BW, then another 1 1/2 hour got them to confirm there is a bug.

They obviously need our complaints because they have no idea what's going on with the game they produced. Good try though.

There is a difference between reporting a bug and whining and complaining and making ignorant statements like "QA needs to be fired" without knowing the whole story.

And you are correct: We reported the bug (one that I agree they should have caught in post-implemntation testing) and they are working on it.

Hahahaha I find it funny that I've been watching the forums like a hawk for moderator activity since F2P, and the only Mod i can find posting anything is 'AllysonBerry'. Did the every other CRep get fired or something?

It appears only game breaking issues lure them out of their hiding place.

What a surprise...is there even anyone left at bioware to test stuff before they release? I picture them patching the game while spinning a magic wheel blindfolded to see what they will mess up next. If only EA didn't ruin bioware forever maybe then we would have a game that actually worked, released content when promised, challenged its players, didn't do everything backwards, and was able to effectively communicate with its community. Oh well I guess we'll all have to hold on until Planetside 2 or ESO come out and pray those companies at least know what they are doing. Biofail brought to you by EA.

There is a difference between reporting a bug and whining and complaining and making ignorant statements like "QA needs to be fired" without knowing the whole story.

I'd agree with your assessment that this isn't a QA issue. What went live was simply not tested at all, and QA tests what it's assigned. This obviously wasn't assigned.

This.

Annoying thing is I will miss my EC BH coms this week as I am not able to run ops for the rest of this week

Can still run everything up untill Vorgath. Though I agree they should send out BH comms to people who kill SC and FB. Bugs like this are just not acceptable given the severe lack of content.

Hello everyone. We have been able to confirm your reports that players are currently unable to complete Explosive Conflict due to this issue. We're working to deploy a fix for the problem in the near future. Thanks for your understanding!

I am sorry, this does not read correct. I am about to apply for a job at bioware just to sort this out. What it should read.

Hello everyone. We have been able to confirm your reports that players are currently unable to complete Explosive Conflict due to this issue. We're working on a fix for the problem and will deploy it ASAP. Sorry to inconvenience players planning to run Explosive Conflict.

I think they just implemented a feature that was meant to be in the F2P model. From now on the person finding the probe droids will have to pony up 50 cartel coins each time. So...working as intended? ;)

I love this game, I truly do, collectors edition, overpriced Razer peripheral having, card carrying fanboy. This is one of those straw breaking the camel's back moments that really pops my balloon. Before we even got to that encounter most of my guildies in vent were talking about GW2. I'm (sadly?) sticking with this game til the bitter end, I just hope there are other people around to play it with.

I am sorry, this does not read correct. I am about to apply for a job at bioware just to sort this out. What it should read.

Hello everyone. We have been able to confirm your reports that players are currently unable to complete Explosive Conflict due to this issue. We're working on a fix for the problem and will deploy it ASAP. Sorry to inconvenience players planning to run Explosive Conflict.

But "ASAP" implies they're actually working on it and you can't have that, people might think that the developers are competent.

I would be lying if I said that this incident (coupled with memorable others) wasn't making me consider other games.

Thank god for those lower legacy level caps that were patched in today.

I agree. The legacy stuff HAS TO be the top priority.

Firstly, because the only thing left to do outside of 1 night clear is levelling alts.

Secondly, and more importantly, the legacy perks need to be adjusted before the cash shop comes so there are no issues for the new ready-to-pay customers. You know, the subscribing and raiding customers have already proven that they will endure **** like that. No need to test content.

So please stop demanding that the precious developers' time is wasted on something like getting the endgame content right. After all, they work on short contracts - their expertise needs to be used in the most efficient manner.

Edited by vandana_

So please stop demanding that the precious developers' time is wasted on something like getting the endgame content right. After all, they work on short contracts - their expertise needs to be used in the most efficient manner.

Will we be able to buy a fix for this in the cash shop, do you think? One use only item, of course, "lowers immunity shield on Minefield droids for five seconds".

Will we be able to buy a fix for this in the cash shop, do you think? One use only item, of course, "lowers immunity shield on Minefield droids for five seconds".

I surely hope so. I would still love to be able to raid.

Just please don't make them too expensive Bioware. I look forward so much to buying all those dancing Jawas that we can vote for on Facebook (what a brilliant idea!) and I just hope my salary will suffice to buy all the awesome stuff you are currently working on so hard.

Edited by vandana_

Here's the thing:

I understand that bugs are unavoidable. But the reason why people are so angry is because of several things:

1) This is a paid game. If this were free for ALL, I'm not complaining. Even in the F2P model you need to pay for ops. Therefore, expect people to expect a higher standard of service.

2) There are easy solutions like testing before implementing, which in this case gives a lot of us reason to think that nothing has been done because the bug was EASILY replicated.

Most people are upset also because the company refuses to take in feedback, or even if they are they do not show it, be it in releasing patches or moving the game in the right direction. This is a game in which many players are playing, we all know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to satisfy everyone's needs.

HOWEVER

when you have many people with the same comments on the same topic and ignore them blatantly (without even probably a simple explanation or rationale behind the implementation/lackthereof certain ideas), then expect people to be angry. I will not bother to flog a dead horse here on the issues raised, many who are concerned with the game will be very familiar with these issues.

That said, I think the forums have become a ground to vent frustration because there simply is too much around.

So Bioware if by some stroke of luck you are actually reading ANY of the content in this thread, please remind yourselves that you have paying customers who take out cash every month for the game, so don't be surprised at the amount of frustration and QQ you see, especially when people are just getting increasingly frustrated at what SEEMS to be incompetence on your part.

I think the Devs are working hard, just not working right. F2P will and can be the game's salvation, if Bioware does this right and EA just stop making pessimistic useless remarks that only continue to hurt the game.

Option 1: they have laid off so many that BW doesn't have 8 people to get an internal group together to test it. So they had to push it to live and hope for the best. When the bug was reported, the one QA guy left had to join some random PuG group to confirm the bug existed.

Option 2: QA is incompetent and SHOULD be laid off.

I pick Option 1, just because it's so funny and probably sadly true too.

All the people saying this kind of thing is to be expected in MMOs etc... well no, just no.

Yes there can be bugs in MMOs, I also have experience with this kind of stuff, but this is a total diffrent level. Some code change that has unexpected behavoir is one thing, but a bug this big, that also happens 100% of the time and not just in rare cases cannot be just overlooked. I mean if even two testers jumped on that build and tried the encounter (one on tower, one on minefield with some crazy buffed stats), they would have found it in like 30 seconds.

They just did not test it.

It's also not the first time, it became a running gag in our guild months ago, that if BW fixes something, they break it instead, someone gave a nice list in this thread already with good examples.

Option 1: they have laid off so many that BW doesn't have 8 people to get an internal group together to test it. So they had to push it to live and hope for the best. When the bug was reported, the one QA guy left had to join some random PuG group to confirm the bug existed.

Fu...ing awesome. =)

*rofl*

its really a dumb mistake that might transpire a lot of what's going on behind the curtain.

this is not the kind of bioware quality I used to know for sure.

btw is it fixed ? does anyone know ?

Edited by macumba

Here's the thing:

I understand that bugs are unavoidable. But the reason why people are so angry is because of several things:

1) This is a paid game. If this were free for ALL, I'm not complaining. Even in the F2P model you need to pay for ops. Therefore, expect people to expect a higher standard of service.

2) There are easy solutions like testing before implementing, which in this case gives a lot of us reason to think that nothing has been done because the bug was EASILY replicated.

Most people are upset also because the company refuses to take in feedback, or even if they are they do not show it, be it in releasing patches or moving the game in the right direction. This is a game in which many players are playing, we all know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to satisfy everyone's needs.

HOWEVER

when you have many people with the same comments on the same topic and ignore them blatantly (without even probably a simple explanation or rationale behind the implementation/lackthereof certain ideas), then expect people to be angry. I will not bother to flog a dead horse here on the issues raised, many who are concerned with the game will be very familiar with these issues.

That said, I think the forums have become a ground to vent frustration because there simply is too much around.

So Bioware if by some stroke of luck you are actually reading ANY of the content in this thread, please remind yourselves that you have paying customers who take out cash every month for the game, so don't be surprised at the amount of frustration and QQ you see, especially when people are just getting increasingly frustrated at what SEEMS to be incompetence on your part.

I think the Devs are working hard, just not working right. F2P will and can be the game's salvation, if Bioware does this right and EA just stop making pessimistic useless remarks that only continue to hurt the game.

ok /sarcasm off

I completely agree with what you said. Especially with the last paragraph.

Until layoffs, I sincerely hoped this game would never implement free-to-play and that EA will keep it alive. Now free-to-play is inevitable and everyone just has to accept that.

That is fine. However, can we go free-to-play and still care for the paying subscribers BW? Spending your (clearly very limited) development resources on getting the legacy system ready for free-to-play and in the process not even bothering testing a change to your endgame operation is yet another display of disastrous PR and incompetence.

Needless to say, in these circumstances, it's only realistic to assume that we shouldn't be expecting any major content updates anymore. Maybe what was announced in E3 and god only knows how long that will take. But please understand - there are still people ready to pay the subscription for even the limited content that's in the game and on the horizon.Why do you try so hard to loose them as well?

Edited by vandana_

Ive been playing mmos for over 8 years now. I have seen worse bugs than this, many times. Ive seen bugs that made games completely unplayable for days. I think you all are being overdramatic and need to hit the decaf...this is not the end of the world, you have alot of time to finish Denova this week, and for those of you complaining that this is the only thing to do in the game, at least you will have something to do tomorrow.

Ive been playing mmos for over 8 years now. I have seen worse bugs than this, many times. Ive seen bugs that made games completely unplayable for days. I think you all are being overdramatic and need to hit the decaf...this is not the end of the world, you have alot of time to finish Denova this week, and for those of you complaining that this is the only thing to do in the game, at least you will have something to do tomorrow.

I've been playing mmo's since 2002.

the point with this bug is: denova is months old, they said they'd fix something I did not even know needed fixing and it turns out that they broke exactly what they wanted to fix. this bug is 100% repeatable. so you have a problem with that drone that might show once in 100 tries, "fix" it and after that it does not work at all anymore and goes live unnoticed.

THAT I have not ever experienced in 10 years.