SWTOR move to free-to-play could attract up to 50 million players

cupe

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I think that after a decade of sanitized "figure it out and put it on farm status" by the first guild followed by "look up the guide and dumb walk through it" by everyone else...... what would be innovative for Raiding would be:

MAKE EVERY RAID RANDOMIZED... so that each and every time you do the raid you have to figure out the mechanics fresh and new. And no ability to enter, decide it sucks and reset it...... build it on the fly out of an array of components when they enter the instance and if they exit they are on lockout.

It would separate the adults from the kids.... because the kids will cry like drop kicked babies. Some adults will too. but that's OK because I am tired of people saying raid content is too easy. So.... make really hard...make it random and watch people curl up into a fetal ball on the floor beside their keyboards.

So...your saying you want to play diablo?

There's one analyst we know is a farktard. 10 mil isn't even inside the realm of possibility. 50 mil? LMAO!

Doesn't BSG online have like 30 million and league of legends have 36 million?

50 million sounds like the high end but you guys sound new to the effects of f2p.

Actually, I think that after a decade of sanitized "figure it out and put it on farm status" by the first guild followed by "look up the guide and dumb walk through it" by everyone else...... what would be innovative for Raiding would be:

MAKE EVERY RAID RANDOMIZED... so that each and every time you do the raid you have to figure out the mechanics fresh and new. And no ability to enter, decide it sucks and reset it...... build it on the fly out of an array of components when they enter the instance and if they exit they are on lockout.

It would separate the adults from the kids.... because the kids will cry like drop kicked babies. Some adults will too. but that's OK because I am tired of people saying raid content is too easy. So.... make really hard...make it random and watch people curl up into a fetal ball on the floor beside their keyboards.

Raiding got old with Everquest 1. I don't think there's really been anything new added to it since 2001ish.

They really need to figure out new end-games for PvE.

B.S, F2P is way to restrictive, if I'm not mistaken you are limited to one human char with limited content.

Sorry, but the game is already boring.

WoW raid mechanics where more enjoyable, Swtor really has nothing unique, its a copy of WoW in starwars now.

You are in fact mistaken actually.

Glad you enjoy WoW... Why are you here again?

Doesn't BSG online have like 30 million and league of legends have 36 million?

50 million sounds like the high end but you guys sound new to the effects of f2p.

All I could find on BSG Online with a quick search is 5 million about 8 months ago.

BUT, that was for registered users. Michael Pachter is claiming 50 million Monthly Active Users.

There is absolutely no dispute to the fact that the ftp model will attract more players. That is a no brainer.

He uses the term monthly active subscribers wrong. I am assuming he meant active monthly accounts

I have no doubt that the ftp model will increase the monthly accounts by quite alot but it isnt going to increase active subs.

ftp doesnt increase subs it increases players

F2P doesn't fix that problem. It only turns the game into sims-with-lightsabers. And dancing Ewok vanity pets.

Wait, we can get Ewok pets???? WHERE?? I haven't seen that anywhere! Please tell me how!

And here's a thought - over one billion people worldwide have seen Star Wars in a theater. That's not counting people who saw it on TV or DVD. So, of those one billion people, what are the odds that 5% of them might want to play SWTOR? Not "love" it like gamers love things, but play it casually for free? I'd say it's pretty high.

Edited by DPCummerbund

At times, Pachter criticizes the sentiments of video gamers. For example, with regard to controversy over the ending of Mass Effect 3, he said "That incident was a great example of what a whiny group gamers are in general," saying that "[game developer Electronic Arts] handled it fine." He argued that gamers should be less demanding, or else "whiny gamers are only going to cause their beloved games to take even longer between episodes."

Sounds like a cry baby.

Although I really liked the part about how he left a firm because of rumors that they were going to be downsizing, and even though he was making an excellent salary ( high six figures ) he negotiated a generous severance package...

"Oh hai, i know that we're about to fire a bunch of people, so i'm leaving the company - but to get me to sign a severence package you're going to have to pay me a lot of money. That's OK, right? Hell What harm is there in adding another 10 names to the list of people being terminated."

Can you post your credentials as a stock analyst there skip? ...or are you just another random guy spewing argument based on nothing but your experience pushing buttons on a video game? ;p

All we know right now is that an actual analyst, with an education and experience has made a rather bullish prediction based on his data and experience. We also know that their stock jumped 6% with the announcement and people are recommending buy. Anything beyond that is just schoolyard talk.

Don't stop there-maybe everyone with the world with computer access will play it and love it!

I bet Bioware is kicking themselves for wasting so much time with a sub model when they can totally kick WoW's with 50 million or more players!

ITT No one reads the article

The 50 million is a quote from one one the Author was talking to which he reported. Yes, there is no way it will happen but that guy didn't come up with that number

Edited by Lt_Latency