So whos actually unsubbing because of this?

DarthWoad

Why would anyone leave over a FTP model that retains the subscription method and REWARDS subscribers?

People calling EA the devil for this. Is Turbine the devil too?

I'm here until the game shuts down (not for at least a decade :D)

Yes. Turbine is a trash company. they killed off lotro, it was a great game at release but ever since the Moria expansion content was slipping, and they put less work into content and more into finding ways to make profit. So F2P came around. Sounds familiar? It's pretty much the same story as SWTOR.

I got a lifetime subscription to lotro when the game was released, it was great. Now I never log on for more than 5mins a week. They killed the game...I get free ingame cash for the shop, and VIP status account for free, yet the game still sucks since all they care about now is maintaining F2P accounts.'

I hope you decide down the line to switch to a F2P account style, since paying for a subscription in a F2P game is the same as paying 3-5 subscriptions in terms of content you'll receive per dollars spent.

F2P mmorpgs rarely care about their "VIP" accounts, look at DCUO, they have by far the best F2P model I've seen yet, you even get all the DLC expansions for free, well unless you unsubcribe; then you lose access to all the DLC. while you could just buy the DLC expansions for a much cheaper cost than a subscription.....

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I preordered GW2, played two beta weekends, spent about 30 hours in game. Realized I hated it and cancelled my preorder.

GW2 is bland, boring, and has so little content it's laughable. Not to mention there is NO "skill" involved in pvp or in learning your toon. It's a simple game for children, that is all.

Because stun locking people is so difficult and skillful in this game. :rolleyes:

[...] What about pazaak, pod racing, open space combat? Are those still viable to add under f2p?

Now for just $15 each, introducing: Pazaak, Pod Racing, and Space Combat

Buy all 3 at once, and save 10% your purchase now!

id like to see bots in gw2 lol reactive combat and DE if somone can program bots to expect random events and mobs to spawn they should get a job for bw would be the best programer they got

I've given up. People will either look into the game and like it, or hate it. Or with naive mindsets they will bash a game they know nothing about. And I came to the conclusion, are these the types of people I want to try and convince to play GW2? And have them whining in GW2 forums? I quickly came to the conclusion of a resounding, "No!". And so I've stopped. For the sake of GW2, just stop. :p

" Help me, ArenaNet. You're my only hope..."
Edited by Katsuragisama

Deleted all my characters and uninstalled this now second rate garbage MMORPG. I will not be nickle and dime to death. Good bye and good riddance. If this is truly the future of all MMORPGs then I can honestly say that I am done with MMORPG for good.

I'm not and can't. Why? I already unsubbed due to having 8 characters I want to play trapped on a dead server with no way off. (My destination server has my level 50s on it that are done until level cap is increased)

Of all the things wrong with game going to F2P is the least of my concerns.

Try reading the huge thread on "Why I quit" with details of why thousands of former players had had enough. Read the Customer service section about players who for weeks can't even log on. Going F2P is not a big thing. Actually fixing the game is in my book.

Edited by Catsmeat

I'm not and can't. Why? I alraedy unsubbed due to having 8 characters I want to play trapped on a dead server with no way off. (My destination server has my level 50s on it that are done until level cap is increased)

Of all the things wrong with game going to F2P is the least of my concerns.

Try reading the huge thread on "Why I quit" with details of why thousands of former players had had enough. Read the Customer service section about players who for weeks can't even log on. Going F2P is not a big thing. Actually fixing the game is in my book.

Aye, just because it's going F2P doesnt mean the devs will take their fingers out of their ears and stop screaming, "Lalalalalalala!". They never listened to the player base when it was P2P. I doubt they'll listen now.

Aye, just because it's going F2P doesnt mean the devs will take their fingers out of their ears and stop screaming, "Lalalalalalala!". They never listened to the player base when it was P2P. I doubt they'll listen now.

I agree unfortunately. I loved this game and still strongly like it. But the flaws are too much and the way Bioware treats us is absolutely shamefull. If my non-F2P issues are not fixed come the end of my sub (now canceled) I'm gone for good most likely. It'll take a strong recomendation that it's fixed from a trusted friend to ever come back. (I'll never trust a Bioware or EA marketer/dev/employee again? Not on your life.)

Such a shame too. This game held so much promise. To watch that being nickeled and dimed away with flaw after flaw, bug after bug, with no aparent concern from Bioware really is heartwrenching for me.

Edited by Catsmeat

I can't see any reason for me NOT to unsubscribe. This doesn't mean I will stop playing, it's just that there are several reasons it would be a waste of money for me.

1. I am an altaholic. I don't even have a 50 yet, 'cause all I do ingame is craft, RP, do a couple quests a day. I am SLOW!!!! So if I can do all that without paying, um...why would I pay? I've only ever played one MMO at a time, and 15 a month is totally worth the ability to drop in, do a couple quests, explore some stuff, work on a class line, craft some armour, check the marketplace, listen to general chat, etc. So far, I've played the whole game like a single-player game, but I love the events and RP and general smart-assery. If I can get that without a monthly fee, I will. :)

What I do NOT get from this game, or any other, is the high-end dungeon content and high-end PvP content. I will never be part of that scenario no matter what <no negative reasons, just don't CARE> so if that's the majority of what a subscription unlocks, I won't feel like I'm missing a thing.

And when a new expansion comes out, or I want to take my Agent further along his path after 50, then I can re-sub on my own sweet time.

Why would anyone unsub because of this?

If you are paying a sub, your game won't change. If you unsub but keep playing, it will.

People who are going to unsub "because of this" were probably already going to unsub.

Or maybe they can't see the point of paying for something when you can level a character to 50 for nothing. I mean lets face it this game is all about the story and playing alts. The fact you can do that without paying a dime and there is no substantial benefit to subbing is just crazy. It's like a kick in the teeth for everyone that had to pay for that content up to this point.

Yesterday I was going to continue to pay my sub but the last 24 hours reading the posts here and the F2P FAQ has convinced me to cancel and just go for the F2P option. I'm not quite sure that is the response EA/BW were looking for when they announced this. It seems quite a few have come to the same conclusion, there is no substantial benefit to subbing unless you raid regularly and haven't cleared the content.

The crappy part of this is the months it has took to develop a f2p system we could of had some open space combat or player housing /ship customization developed instead I really have a feeling that's why the up coming expansion seems so meh. I am aware it takes time to make content but this f2p model has probabaly slowed things down temendously.

Someone said the game won't change for regular subbed players which is just not true. The game WILL in fact change for the regular subs and that's a point I've been trying to get across.

If the F2P model was only restricting end game and future CONTENT, than yes it wouldn't be all that bad.

However they're actually restricting the CREDITS, ITEMS and STORAGE available to people, there will be a limit of how many warzones and flashpoints a F2P player can play over a week.

This is an MMO thus there are a bunch of community driven features, if the community around you is restricted than so are you in your options to enjoy group content!

Example 1. Player 1 is a crafter -> who is she going to sell to ?

Example 2. How do you think this will affect PvP and PvE queues ?

Example 3. How do you think this will affect /1, /2, /3 chat, warzones, etc - considering a F2P account cannot be held accountable for their actions.. if i get banned for spamming, cheating, exploiting or for whatever other reason .. i ll just create a new one.

Yes if you actually only play on your own and do NOT interact with other players in ANY way, including buying and selling stuff, then yes continuing to pay a sub will NOT change your game, but why are you playing an MMO in the first place ?

And that's not even considering the fact that EXISTING subscribers who choose to go F2P will have the exact same restrictions as a new F2P player.

Example: I bought the game and have been subscribed since day 1 and have already payed for 6 months of play time ( +2 month free, 1 with the game, 1 for the delay of RWZs or something ? ).

If I decide to go F2P - for example because my crafting will be limited due to the lack of potential buyers and let's say the lack of active subbed people:

1. I will NOT have access to all of my chars.

2. I will NOT have access to all of my credits.

3. I will NOT have access to all of my storage.

4. I will have to BUY all of the above all over again, even though I've ALREADY purchased it !! but as it turns out i've actually only "rented" it. This is a HUGE issue still not addressed in Q&As, interviews etc.

The crappy part of this is the months it has took to develop a f2p system we could of had some open space combat or player housing /ship customization developed instead I really have a feeling that's why the up coming expansion seems so meh. I am aware it takes time to make content but this f2p model has probabaly slowed things down temendously.

That's my main gripe, people waited for ranked warzones, they waited for merges, they've waited for a new world event to happen, I've waited enough for you to develop your in world and real world cash sinks and I don't want to support whatever is going on here anymore.

Even though I have not been on in a while, I am going to keep my sub until the F2P launches. Once the details are out with what is truly free and how the Cartel coins play into that model, I will re-evaluate to see if continuing to sub make sense vs spending some case for just those things I like to focus on. End of day I still enjoy this game and am fine that there are now some options as to how I subscribe to it.

That's my main gripe, people waited for ranked warzones, they waited for merges, they've waited for a new world event to happen, I've waited enough for you to develop your in world and real world cash sinks and I don't want to support whatever is going on here anymore.

/thread

I dunno if it was the blue font or the heart-piercingly straightforward logic of your post, but I heard angels singing when I read it.

Someone said the game won't change for regular subbed players which is just not true. The game WILL in fact change for the regular subs and that's a point I've been trying to get across.

If the F2P model was only restricting end game and future CONTENT, than yes it wouldn't be all that bad.

However they're actually restricting the CREDITS, ITEMS and STORAGE available to people, there will be a limit of how many warzones and flashpoints a F2P player can play over a week.

This is an MMO thus there are a bunch of community driven features, if the community around you is restricted than so are you in your options to enjoy group content!

Example 3. How do you think this will affect /1, /2, /3 chat, warzones, etc - considering a F2P account cannot be held accountable for their actions.. if i get banned for spamming, cheating, exploiting or for whatever other reason .. i ll just create a new one.

Yes if you actually only play on your own and do NOT interact with other players in ANY way, including buying and selling stuff, then yes continuing to pay a sub will NOT change your game, but why are you playing an MMO in the first place ?

And that's not even considering the fact that EXISTING subscribers who choose to go F2P will have the exact same restrictions as a new F2P player.

Example: I bought the game and have been subscribed since day 1 and have already payed for 6 months of play time ( +2 month free, 1 with the game, 1 for the delay of RWZs or something ? ).

If I decide to go F2P - for example because my crafting will be limited due to the lack of potential buyers and let's say the lack of active subbed people:

4. I will have to BUY all of the above all over again, even though I've ALREADY purchased it !! but as it turns out i've actually only "rented" it. This is a HUGE issue still not addressed in Q&As, interviews etc.

This is a excellent post. You should post it on the official thread about FTP also. LOTRO did it the right way. If you prevously had subbed, you was treated differently than the new FTP players. For example, I got to access all the content I did before I unsubbed and all my chars I was allowed under the FTP model ( 7 out of 9 ) could access that same content...free. The gold was limited to 4 g per account. But I had 12 gold and could still access all of it. Just could'nt earn anymore. Bank and inventory spaces? I never lost any I had allready paid for while playing. :cool:

Edited by Valkirus

I will pay until it is free then play for free. Why would I pay for a game that offers very little over the free to play model. Seriously bad decisions continue with the EA/BW combination.

I suspect that I will go down this route for the same reasons

Just curious right now if you stop paying what can you access?