Forbes thinks TOR is a financial disaster for EA. Your thoughts

Ensquire

LoL, i didn't ask for his resume, where in those link does it say he's a temp or a blogger for Forbes. It says right next to his name in the article "contributor"

Edited by Ensquire

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when people play arm chair developer. It's an interesting technique talk about something technical and it makes you sound smarter then you are and like you know what you are talking about.

Please enlighten me explain to all of us what is wrong with the coding in the Hero Engine

Well for one thing when Bioware purchased the Hero Engine it was still in alpha. It had never been successfully implemented into a big game yet. They then took this experimental not yet complete engine and HEAVILY modified it, making it into something else entirely.

They took a gamble by buying a cheap untested incomplete engine, and they lost.

Well for one thing when Bioware purchased the Hero Engine it was still in alpha. It had never been successfully implemented into a big game yet. They then took this experimental not yet complete engine and HEAVILY modified it, making it into something else entirely.

They took a gamble by buying a cheap untested incomplete engine, and they lost.

People are to quick to jump on the hero engine as the pains of all life but here is the thing, the one thing ea are amazing at is game engines.

Edited by Shingara

I love it when people play arm chair developer. It's an interesting technique talk about something technical and it makes you sound smarter then you are and like you know what you are talking about.

Please enlighten me explain to all of us what is wrong with the coding in the Hero Engine

people are worried about the engine because illum lagged badly.

They need a large scale warzone to prove it can handle it. until they add a warzone thats like 40 vs 40, Right or wrong people are going to be ************ about the engine

People are to quick to jump on the hero engine as the pains of all life but here is the thing, the one thing ea are amazing at is game engines.

I really enjoy your optimism :D

I just don't buy that they're going to sink anymore money into the engine anytime soon to streamline it, especially after those massive layoffs

Edited by Ensquire

LoL, i didn't ask for his resume, where in those link does it say he's a temp or a blogger for Forbes. It says right next to his name in the article "contributor"
He blogs on the sites I listed, and by your link ... he's a blogger: http://blogs.forbes.com/people/paultassi/. My intent is not to argue details about a person's background. My intent is to illustrate that the gentleman blogs like many post in these forums ... he doesn't have to qualify his opionion because his opinion is fact and it's on us to believe him. Journalists are unbiased and objective. Throughout his literary contributions in different blogs his content has been neither - including his Forbes blog that is the topic of discussion in this thread. Edited by GalacticKegger

Wow. Really? Can you point me to one of those amazing EA engines? I am no expert, but I haven't played one EA game that had an amazing engine. I wouldn't classify them as lousy as SOEs engines... But still.

Wow. Really? Can you point me to one of those amazing EA engines? I am no expert, but I haven't played one EA game that had an amazing engine. I wouldn't classify them as lousy as SOEs engines... But still.

Refractor, Frostbite and sage are the 1st to come to mind.

I really enjoy your optimism :D

I just don't buy that they're going to sink anymore money into the engine anytime soon to streamline it, especially after those massive layoffs

Why would they be streamlining the engine exactly and even with the lay offs swtor still has one of the biggest dev teams in the buisness.

Edited by Shingara

He blogs on the sites I listed, and by your link ... he's a blogger: http://blogs.forbes.com/people/paultassi/. My intent is not to argue details about a person's background. My intent is to illustrate that the gentleman blogs like many post in these forums ... he doesn't have to qualify his opionion because his opinion is fact and it's on us to believe him. Journalists are unbiased and objective. Throughout his literary contributions in different blogs his content has been neither. - including his Forbes blog that is the topic of discussion in this thread.

Dude you show me a unbiased reporter and I'll show you fox news

Why would I believe anything a journalist says. Too many journalist will sensationalise things in order to sell their magazine, article, etc.

Whether they made their investment back or not I will not debate as most of that information is between the company and their investors.

Whether they go free to play again is between them.

I will continue enjoy playing the game with friends and will not worry about what some journalist says.

Why would I believe anything a journalist says. Too many journalist will sensationalise things in order to sell their magazine, article, etc.

Whether they made their investment back or not I will not debate as most of that information is between the company and their investors.

I will continue enjoy playing the game with friends and will not worry about what some journalist says.

Nowhere in the article does he states this is a bad game, he just says for the amount of money invested that this game needed a sizable returns to increase EA stock overall. He further states that the F2P plan is not the direction shareholder are looking to go and its a hard sell to investors. He says the layoff and the executive director leaving isn't a good sign and thus one of five reasons Electronic Arts shares are in the toilet

Edited by Ensquire

This. I view SWTOR as a game because that's all it is. If it wasn't fun to play then I wouldn't play it. But since I consider it fun to play I will continue playing it. Some doom and gloom schmoe blogging about what he guesses a bunch of suits are thinking has no bearing on my extracurricular activity choices because I'm perfectly capable of thinking for myself. But that's just me. Edited by GalacticKegger

This. I view SWTOR as a game because that's all it is. If it wasn't fun to play then I wouldn't play it. But since I consider it fun to play I will continue playing it. What some doom and gloom schmoe blogs about has no bearing on my extracurricular activity choices because I'm perfectly capable of thinking for myself. But that's just me.

You make too much sense :)

EA is a financial disaster for EA. This game could be triple it's current size if they actually put effort into adding content and taking care of the game. Yet, they let the flame trickle out and most people that have come and gone aren't coming back. It's sad really because I love the game.

Forbes thinks this games is a complete financial disaster. With loss in subs, the threat of Free-2-play on the horizon, are you sticking with game past the six month mark? what are your thoughts?

With current layoffs can TOR developers now produce content at a pace to keep players happy?

(I know they say they can, Because they will never say they can't)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/07/19/five-reasons-ea-is-in-decline/

Note: how this game performs financially has a trickle down effect on EA's overall stock

Edit: New links showing reputable business site stating the link between TOR success and electronic arts stock

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-05-07/industries/31606454_1_ea-sales-active-subscribers-colin-sebastian

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17989756

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/332913/ea-shares-drop-after-analyst-expresses-old-republic-concerns/

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/star_wars_the_old_republic/news/ea_stock_drops_3_after_star_wars_the_old_republic_doubts.html

Paul Tassi does not work for Forbes. The article you linked to is just some random kid that has a blog and is a "contributor" he is not on forbes staff, his opinion is not based on facts, numbers or financials. Your post incredibly misleading and outright false in some regards.

Nowhere in the article does he states this is a bad game, he just says for the amount of money invested that this game needed a sizable returns to increase EA stock overall. He further states that the F2P plan is not the direction shareholder are looking to go and its a hard sell to investors. He says the layoff and the executive director leaving isn't a good sign and thus one of five reasons Electronic Arts shares are in the toilet

Or, to put it another way........ It's an opinion piece.

He is a journalist and contributor for forbes, not a blogger

http://blogs.forbes.com/people/paultassi/

You show a guy the ocean and tell him the earth is round and they still are going to claim its flat

Most journalists have degrees in... journalism, maybe English. He has one in economics, but it's just a Bachelors so he is neither a serious economist qualified to comment on this matter, nor is he a serious journalist either. He's just some kid that blogs about gaming and gaming culture.

He has no inside information, no stats or facts or financials. All he has is his opinion. Which happens to be so loosely based on reality as to be laughable.

Most journalists have degrees in... journalism, maybe English. He has one in economics, but it's just a Bachelors so he is neither a serious economist qualified to comment on this matter, nor is he a serious journalist either. He's just some kid that blogs about gaming and gaming culture.

He has no inside information, no stats or facts or financials. All he has is his opinion. Which happens to be so loosely based on reality as to be laughable.

Someone who spent four years studying economics would have no idea how the finacials of a company like EA work, and probably have no idea how or what a stock is in the first place

Edited by Ensquire

Someone who spent four years studying economics would have no idea how the finacials of a company like EA work, and probably have no idea how or what a stock is in the first place

Someone who spent 10 years studying economics crashed barings bank, so whats your point. People who sell shares and bonds etc are just posh gambling addicts.

Edited by Shingara

Forbes thinks this games is a complete financial disaster. With loss in subs, the threat of Free-2-play on the horizon, are you sticking with game past the six month mark? what are your thoughts?

With current layoffs can TOR developers now produce content at a pace to keep players happy?

(I know they say they can, Because they will never say they can't)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/07/19/five-reasons-ea-is-in-decline/

Note: how this game performs financially has a trickle down effect on EA's overall stock

Edit: New links showing reputable business site stating the link between TOR success and electronic arts stock

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-05-07/industries/31606454_1_ea-sales-active-subscribers-colin-sebastian

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17989756

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/332913/ea-shares-drop-after-analyst-expresses-old-republic-concerns/

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/star_wars_the_old_republic/news/ea_stock_drops_3_after_star_wars_the_old_republic_doubts.html

Im staying myself but anyone that refuses to admit this game underdelivered on every front is delussional.

I can enjoy what there is (for a time anyways) but there is literally no arguement that can realistically be made that says this game lived up to its hype and potential.

And the sad thing is

It was all avoidable if the designers and developers stopped being so closed minded and arrogent and just listened to what was being asked for

Game still doesnt have pazzaak or swoop racing despite it being one of the FIRST ITEMS asked for the day the forums opened in '08, and every day after that.

Players were begging EA not to have WOW style warzones in game for PVP. Players were all VERY DETAILED on what they wanted from their PVP experience. And EA listened to none of it.

As was pointed out in a different thread. In Closed Beta, the powers actually told us they didnt want any feedback on game and product design and only wanted bug reports.

The list goes on and on and on of shear arrogence ignoreing the players demands and wishs.

But no one should be to surprised, they did exact same thing in ME2 when they gutted the RP elements of character design and development and took out branching storylines for a more linear follow the dots gameplay.

This is what EA has historically done to EVERY STUDIO ITS EVER TOOK OVER!

They come in, change the personal and everything and start making the games they think work under the newly bought out developer name and completely destroy that developers reputation.

And Bioware was no different. I know Ill never purchase anouther Bioware game as Bioware doesnt exist anymore.

And the funniest part of all this is EA put out a press release after aquirering BW stating they had learned from their previous mistakes and would not be redesigning Bioware products and content. And then they turned around and did exactly that yet again.

We should have known this game was not going to listen and learn as so many of us hoped for. History told us that much.

So yeah, I think Forbes right on the money!

I know if I was running EA and got the financials TOR getting put on my desk. There would be a whole series of firings and dismissals (WITH OUT REFERENCES) for the endless screw ups and mistakes.

It was all predictable, if you bothered learning anything about the MMORPG genre.

Sadly those in charge of TOR didnt bother looking past WOW to learn about the genre and its players.

Supported by Facts

No its not, its based on guestimating why one thing sold and another thing didnt, EA's share prices dont mean much to us the consumer, oddly today it went down with igt so there could be something in that but EA is exposed to unstable markets and that is reflected in the price.

Edited by Shingara