Forbes thinks TOR is a financial disaster for EA. Your thoughts

Ensquire

You mean the people that they(EA) said they were going to release back in May? Still doesn't change the fact that YOU are making a poor attempt to portray a Blogger as a rep for Forbes.

I'll respond with this it says it all

Ok well, let's see you go make an account and become a contributor to Forbes. When you have an article posted there within the next day or so, I will admit that it could indeed be any random blogger that can write things posted on their site. If not, then I guess it may take a little more than being some 'random blogger' to do so.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im lost, are you somehow saying it doesnt rain at sea or something now.

Edit:

I'm just saying that if you were one of the people that were in one of the people in a populated server you are oblivious to what happened in the medium to not so populated servers and really can't be objective

Edited by Ensquire

I'm just saying that people that were in one of the people in a populated server you are oblivious to what happened in the medium to not so populated servers and really can't be objective

one of the people in the people................

People moving to a destination server increase the people on the destination server whilst reducing people on the origin server, the sub count doesnt go down it just goes higher pop on the destination servers overall.

if there are 2 rooms and one room has 6 people in and the other room has 16 people in and you get 4 people to move from room 1 to room 2 you have 2 people in room one and 20 people in room 2, still the same number of people in total.

Edited by Shingara

I prefer to wait for actual evidence then make speculation based on "feeling"

They has 100 servers, Now they are down to 12.

Something happened.

If they just made 10 times to maybe server by mistake that is pretty embarrassing

They has 100 servers, Now they are down to 12.

Something happened.

If they just made 10 times to maybe server by mistake that is pretty embarrassing

yeah that something happend at launch. When 700k people didn't stay. We already knew this it's not anything new. The 12 servers however are more populated then the largest server before the transfers.

Of course I don't know what your point is? Are you saying a game needs tons of servers to be a hit?

yeah that something happend at launch. When 700k people didn't stay. We already knew this it's not anything new. The 12 servers however are more populated then the largest server before the transfers.

Of course I don't know what your point is? Are you saying a game needs tons of servers to be a hit?

700k is would still only be 1/2 So if they dropped from 24 to 12. That would seem about right.

You have to double it 2 more times to get to around 100 servers

Edited by Lt_Latency

/facepalm

Does anyone else wish all these negative threads would just go the frell away? I'm so sick of the negativity around here.

I'm going to seriously reconsider using these forums. They are more depressing than entertaining.

/facepalm

Does anyone else wish all these negative threads would just go the frell away? I'm so sick of the negativity around here.

I'm going to seriously reconsider using these forums. They are more depressing than entertaining.

All game forums and like this,

"Mos Eisley Spaceport - you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" Obi wan would have never said this if he owned a computer

/facepalm

The subforums are great though, lol.

what? English please.

if you have 2 million people and lose 1 million. That is about 1/2 your player base.

So if you now have 12 servers you would except to of had 24 servers at your peak.

24 X 2 is 48.

48 X 2 is 96.

You are now at the around the number of server tor started with.

Why so many extras?? That is another reason why people think bad things.

Edited by Lt_Latency

if you have 2 million people and lose 1 million. That is about 1/2 your player base.

So if you now have 12 servers you would except to of had 24 servers at your peak.

24 X 2 is 48.

48 X 2 is 96.

You are now at the around the number of server tor started with.

Why so many extras?? That is another reason why people think bad things.

facepalm. Did you not play the game at launch? Your logic would work if the servers at launch were the same size as they are now. Sorry at launch a full server was maybe 1/4 the size of a full server now. More like 1/8 really.

From day 1 people were complaing that the servers where way too small.

facepalm. Did you not play the game at launch? Your logic would work if the servers at launch were the same size as they are now. Sorry at launch a full server was maybe 1/4 the size of a full server now. More like 1/8 really.

From day 1 people were complaing that the servers where way too small.

Fleet numbers are not 4 times higher now then they were before the merge.

I prefer to wait for actual evidence then make speculation based on "feeling"

/laughs ... I've given you plenty of links that support whats being said, for sure there's no smoking gun, but you can connect the dots

Fleet numbers are not 4 times higher now then they were before the merge.

..... that's a joke right? I was on Swiftsure where we were full with 150 people on fleet during prime time.

Now on the new server we are at 400-500 on fleet at prime time while still full.

More notablly the planets have more life as well. Leveling a Sith Warrior yesterday and there was 120 people on Tatooine then when I got to Alderan there was around 80.

If you actually logged in and played you might the truth.

edit:

To give you an idea. Right now on the Bastion

Standard population at 11:20 AM Pacific Standard Time

170 on Republic Fleet

135 on Empire

with every planet I /who showing a popultion over 50 EVEN QUESH

Edited by jarjarloves

..... that's a joke right? I was on Swiftsure where we were full with 150 people on fleet during prime time.

Now on the new server we are at 400-500 on fleet at prime time while still full.

More notablly the planets have more life as well. Leveling a Sith Warrior yesterday and there was 120 people on Tatooine then when I got to Alderan there was around 80.

If you actually logged in and played you might the truth.

You have to compare a full server before to a full server now,

Fatman, hit 250 all the time before the merge

Forbes also claims that Call Of Duty has "Brilliant Visuals".

Related to this topic...it's all subjective, and I highly doubt that this game is a "financial disaster for EA".

Not Forbes....Unknown Blogger

that's the point. A full server BEFORE was anywhere between 100 and 250

Now a full server is 250 - 500

Fatman was the largest server and by no means the average now the 12 servers are WAY more populated then Fatman was before the merger.

Forbes thinks this games is a complete financial disaster. With loss in subs, the threat of Free-2-play on the horizon, are you sticking with game past the six month mark? what are your thoughts?

With current layoffs can TOR developers now produce content at a pace to keep players happy?

(I know they say they can, Because they will never say they can't)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/07/19/five-reasons-ea-is-in-decline/

Note: how this game performs financially has a trickle down effect on EA's overall stock

Edit: New links showing reputable business site stating the link between TOR success and electronic arts stock

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-05-07/industries/31606454_1_ea-sales-active-subscribers-colin-sebastian

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17989756

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/332913/ea-shares-drop-after-analyst-expresses-old-republic-concerns/

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/star_wars_the_old_republic/news/ea_stock_drops_3_after_star_wars_the_old_republic_doubts.html

Reading the freelance author/blogger Mr. Tassi's previous literary contributions suggests that he is very much in Blizzard's corner. I can't speak to his BF3/COD correlation as I never got into the BF series (though I play MW3 on my 360 because my son, brothers, grand kids and nephews all play it) but the remark about SWTOR being intended as a WoW-killer was ludicrous. So much for unbiased journalism. I'm sure he needs something to stir the pot so his 299 followers increases to something he can market.

Some corporation's stock price has nothing to do whatsoever with why I play a game. If the game goes away I'll find another one. If I can't find another one I'll go play a round of golf or go fishing. It's just not that big of a deal.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Why do people say threat of free to play? I think turbine has proven that free to play isnt a threat its a financial money shot.

Turbine with DDO saw an increase of over 2 million players in first two years after going free to play. They didnt go overboard super greedy with the turbine store. No truely gamebreaking items, no pay to win option, really the only things that people complained about the store was experience potions (making it easier to cap ... and we already have more then that in swtor with legacy) and mana pots (which could be farmed in game easily but people will buy them to avoid farming).

I think swtor (and have said so since 2 year prior to beta ) is designed perfectly for the turbine model. Subscribers get everything free ... plus a few EA points each month as a thank you for subbing. All races and planets and raids with the exception of starter and second planets (currently in there free trial lvl 15) EV as the only free raid to get them encouraged to raid. Paid for FPs cept for BT maybe the foundry BP mix too. Everything else is easy .. planets 5-8$ each, races 15$ each for unlocks, character slots 10$ each (should be an option now let alone at free to play) , Server Transfers 10$/character, vanity helmets and chests 2$ each, and a bunch of small boosts that are not game breaking like 2hr 10% exp pots 2$ each.

This is the model they should have launched with but they where too cocky to realize that this is the market trend mmos are heading toward.

This being said .... the way turbine made this successful was to double the amount of developed content from previous years. Content updates every 2 -3 months special events every 3-4 months, points sales every couple months and weekly item sales.

Also Subscription perks are a big part of it ... turbine gave away 500 points per month (if you saved a years sub worth of points you would easily buy half the game and go free to play) special promoton 1000 points for people subbed. and store discounts for sub members. Also having new free to play players (as apposed to currently subbed players who might choose to purchase all the content and stay free to play) being given priority free to play servers where no server transfers are allowed TO that server but where current players may choose to roll alts on.

as long as they are not greedy and realize that the game is not going free to play to SAVE THE GAME FROM DEATH but to encourage a larger player base increased revenue to better afford new content at a faster pace.

before they can do any of this they need to learn how to treat employee's and how to keep a team together. They sold this game with lines like "Some of the biggest and best programers and writters from nearly every mmo ever made" then fired all the biggest names they had.

If they would have launched with that, I would have never played this game.

ok I just logged on to Fatman

Remember 250 USED to be Full before the server transfers

Fatman Empire side is sitting at 265 and is Standard.

I don't have a republic character so I can't tell you what that is at but odds are it's close