how is taking someone prisoner a LS choice?

Cathest

yeah. there is a side quest that i didi with my jedi knight., can't remeber the name and all since it has a been awhile, but iw as going all ds choices and i was supposed to stop a man in black that was killing the local natives for sport. funny part was, the only way i could kill him (he was a douche and had to die) was to pick the light side choice. granted, letting him live, the ds choice, was letting him kill more locals, but there should have been another choice for light side, like taking him into custody or something.

yeah. there is a side quest that i didi with my jedi knight., can't remeber the name and all since it has a been awhile, but iw as going all ds choices and i was supposed to stop a man in black that was killing the local natives for sport. funny part was, the only way i could kill him (he was a douche and had to die) was to pick the light side choice. granted, letting him live, the ds choice, was letting him kill more locals, but there should have been another choice for light side, like taking him into custody or something.

I think I know the quest, but it's a quest on Hutta. So, it was either with an Agent or BH.

If it's the same quest I'm thinking of, you can convince him to stop killing the natives at least, and get LS points for it.

When I did the quest on a BH, she actually got LS points for refusing his bribe but then she got DS points for shooting him instead of convincing him to stop peacefully.

Completely flipped during the BH story. Sometimes taking them alive is the LS option but more often shooting them dead is the LS option because your either finishing an honorable duel or saving them from the torment of their captors.

For the BH, I really think LS/DS decisions were written more as Mandalorian/Non-Mandalorian decisions than as force related. I'm sure there are decisions where this isn't true, but that is really the only way I can rationalize the fact that the BH is the only storyline that has LS/DS decisions that play out like that. *Shrug*

Yeah, there's an argument that taking someone to be an Imperial prisoner will be more harmful to them than simply offing them then and there, but it's still the LS choice because you cannot account for the unknown.

Take the Consular companion Lt. Iresso.

He was taken as an Imperial prisoner but managed to escape. Sure he's got some lasting consequences from it, but I'm sure he's happy to still be alive. I bet even his friend that went crazy from the experience is happier to still be alive than dead.

Yes you'll probably be tortured horribly, but if you're alive as a prisoner there's still the opportunity to escape, meet the oddball merciful Imp, or be freed under many different circumstances. Because there's this opportunity is why I think taking someone as a prisoner is usually the LS choice over a mercy killing.

Because LS is generaly about the preservation of life, so choices which take lives are generally DS while those that preserve lives are LS.

Yeah but the guy in Black Talon will end up dead anyways and I think it is more evil to let him being tortured to death by the Sith than give him a quick death there.

I remember the Sith Empire quest in Taris where you either kill the force using nekghouls (DS) or let them embrace the dark side (LS). How is that lightside? I play a full lightsided Sith Warrior that embraces the lightside of the force so in that case I had to kill em rather than let them to turn into dark side and cause more deaths.

Edited by Skorz

I understand for the most part why imprisonment is a LS choice over killing them.

But there's one instance where I'm a bit confused.

I guess technically you're not taking a prisoner in this instance, but...

During the Bounty Hunter story, when you encounter Tarro Blood in a prison cell while aboard the Aurora, you have the option of letting him out (from which you can proceed to let him arm up for a duel or kill him before he can step outside his cell) or leaving him behind. For some some reason, leaving him in there is a light side choice. How is leaving someone for dead in a cell on a ship you're going to blow to bits a LS choice?

I understand for the most part why imprisonment is a LS choice over killing them.

During the Bounty Hunter story, when you encounter Tarro Blood in a prison cell while aboard the Aurora, you have the option of letting him out (from which you can proceed to let him arm up for a duel or kill him before he can step outside his cell) or leaving him behind. For some some reason, leaving him in there is a light side choice. How is leaving someone for dead in a cell on a ship you're going to blow to bits a LS choice?

Well for Tarro Blood

If you leave him there it's possible he lives. Some Pubs fleeing the ship might've taken mercy on him and let him out, etc.

'course I agree it seems more apt to be DS, since I doubt you intended him to be rescued by anyone. I think the dueling option should be the only LS option unless they were to give a full on pardon option, but can understand why leaving him could be consider LS.

How about some LS choices that "seem" good but are blatantly terribly Dark Side. A bit of the road to hell is paved with good intentions stuff.

Biggest example.

Cademimu flashpoint.

You are tasked with diverting missiles from a trajectory.

You can target your enemy fleet in orbit(depending on which side you are of course, determines the fleet) or you can target an uninhabited moon.

The moon is listed as a light side choice, but this is really the most destructive of the two. The loss of a celestial body to a star system can be catostrophic. Let alone one to a planet(we must assume this moon is a moon of Cademimu), where the gravitational changes and debris would wreak havoc over a much greater period of time.

But that is your lightside choice. Whereas blowing up an opposing enemy fleet, thereby preventing further confrontation and a costly ground battle with even more lives lost and damage done to the infrastructure is your dark side.

Go figure.

After a couple toons leveled to 50, I've come to the conclusion that if you have any interest in playing your toon as a character with a personality and a personal code of ethics (of whatever gradiation of good/evil/neutral that may be), then you can't blindly pick LS or DS options. Choosing purely LS or DS options will rarely have a 100% match with how you are playing your character. I, personally, this this is a good thing. You have to think about what choices you're making rather than clicky Light Side (or Dark Side) without actual consideration.

I've actually thought about replaying my bh because she was my first toon, and I played her way more straight LS than I should have cause I thought it was "bad" to choose DS even though I knew some of those people who I took prisoner were going to tortured for the rest of their lives in a Sith prison. (And the mass murderer killing Evocaii on Hutta and keeping ears as trophies does not in any way shape or form get to walk free. Eesh, it's like letting a psychopathic serial killer go because he says he'll never do it again. LS??? Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.)

And don't worry about the extra LS/DS points. At level 50 you'll run through a crap load of fps that you stop caring about and can burn off those points with LS/DS choices. Well worth the satisfaction of staying true to what your character would actually do.

Yeah but the guy in Black Talon will end up dead anyways and I think it is more evil to let him being tortured to death by the Sith than give him a quick death there.

I remember the Sith Empire quest in Taris where you either kill the force using nekghouls (DS) or let them embrace the dark side (LS). How is that lightside? I play a full lightsided Sith Warrior that embraces the lightside of the force so in that case I had to kill em rather than let them to turn into dark side and cause more deaths.

It isn't definite that he will be killed if you spare him. He himself states that there is a possibility that he will just be put in a cell for the rest of his life.

As for the Nekghouls, they just gave the SW and SI bad dialogue considering that it was a LS decision. The BH and IA make no reference to the DS and the SW and SI shouldn't have. The important part of that decision is that you manage to spare the Nekghouls from being slaughtered.

I figure that the reasoning behind this one is that the only reason to let him out is to kill him because you know the moment you let him out he is going to try and kill you. I dunno, I probably wouldn't have made that one give LS points and I generally agree with the LS/DS placements. *Shrug*

How about some LS choices that "seem" good but are blatantly terribly Dark Side. A bit of the road to hell is paved with good intentions stuff.

Biggest example.

Cademimu flashpoint.

You are tasked with diverting missiles from a trajectory.

You can target your enemy fleet in orbit(depending on which side you are of course, determines the fleet) or you can target an uninhabited moon.

The moon is listed as a light side choice, but this is really the most destructive of the two. The loss of a celestial body to a star system can be catostrophic. Let alone one to a planet(we must assume this moon is a moon of Cademimu), where the gravitational changes and debris would wreak havoc over a much greater period of time.

But that is your lightside choice. Whereas blowing up an opposing enemy fleet, thereby preventing further confrontation and a costly ground battle with even more lives lost and damage done to the infrastructure is your dark side.

Go figure.

O_o That is an interesting take on that decision. I think the intent though was that the missles were not going to destroy the moon and any rocks loosed from the blast would either not hit the planet or be small enough to burn up in the atmosphere. As for attacking the fleet, I think that is DS because you are instigating a war where there would otherwise not be one(at least for that point in time).

Because LS in the BH story is all about Honor and the Mandalorian Code, and DS is a murderer out for nothing more then making quick credits. Tarro had spat all over the honor of the great hunt and disgraced the mandalorians and his teacher, for this he did not deserve the honor of a duel and lost that right when he resorted to cheap tactics to win. So the honorable thing is not to give the scum that chance but to punish him by killing him without battle, thus he wouldn't go to the mandalorain after life, he needs to have died good death to go, he was not given this, thus his cancer was removed from the culture.

Edited by MasterPetricco

@OP: My guess would be that the game's target audience have not experienced things that would make one wish to die. Ergo, sparing someone's life would seem like a universally good choice to them and the game simply reflects that.

After a couple toons leveled to 50, I've come to the conclusion that if you have any interest in playing your toon as a character with a personality and a personal code of ethics (of whatever gradiation of good/evil/neutral that may be), then you can't blindly pick LS or DS options. Choosing purely LS or DS options will rarely have a 100% match with how you are playing your character. I, personally, this this is a good thing. You have to think about what choices you're making rather than clicky Light Side (or Dark Side) without actual consideration.

I really like it this way too. From playing ME1 I was traumatized into also making consistent alignment choices. But now we are free!

A great Jedi once said, "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

A great Jedi once said, "Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lol, I don't know about Jedi...but on that point, you work with the information you have at hand and try to make the best decision possible. And in terms of making decisions in a game - well, the consequnces aren't very high.

i see that for lot of sith options, LS = tkaing prisoner while DS = killing em

i rather die then be taken prisoner for life, especially being prisonder by the sith empire!

Imagine if Cops had choices as simple as this? "I could't arrest you, and waste my day going to trial or I could just kill you--Problem solved!"

In one of the bounty hunter quests if you talk to a guy about whether he would like to be a prisoner or killed he states killed and you gain lightside points.

I think in the first sith warrior quest where you decide the fate of several prisoners talking to them about it makes killing them lightside.

Is that supposed to be ironic or do you not know that it was Gandalf that said that?

In one of the bounty hunter quests if you talk to a guy about whether he would like to be a prisoner or killed he states killed and you gain lightside points.

I think in the first sith warrior quest where you decide the fate of several prisoners talking to them about it makes killing them lightside.

Nope. Played it, it's dark side.

Heck, if we didn't kill him, he'd die anyway. Just ran that yesterday, day before again, and if I recall correctly, he commented that his guts were spilling out. So even though it got us dark side points, killing him was really a mercy.