[Guide] PVE Scoundrel Healing

Elbmuh

To maximize cunning from armoring I would only use the campaign chest piece. For the others, use 2 rakata shells filled with black hole armoring and 2 battlemaster(or centurion if you're cool :D) with black hole. The only field medic piece in the campaign set that uses skill armoring is the chest I believe. This way you'll get skill armoring instead of any patron.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To maximize cunning from armoring I would only use the campaign chest piece. For the others, use 2 rakata shells filled with black hole armoring and 2 battlemaster(or centurion if you're cool :D) with black hole. The only field medic piece in the campaign set that uses skill armoring is the chest I believe. This way you'll get skill armoring instead of any patron.
It's the headgear that uses skill armoring.

Yes, is the chest that is the one the carries the skill armoring 26. Another thing, thats what i was thinking, that its only worth taking the head, and the next step is start grabbing black hole items, unles you have the chance to get the campaign. Im taking 1 campaign (head) and 1 rakata (chest), 2 battlemaster filled with black hole (legs and gloves) and black hole boots. That works fine, the only thing is that you have to change the mods in order to have the stats correctly.

Your suggested spec includes 2/2 Med Screen; the PvE utility seems pretty negligible to me. Defense Screen absorbs a relatively tiny amount of damage (2.5K or so with fairly good gear at Level 50; 70-80% of an untalented Force Armor with comparable stats) before falling off. Against anything life-threatening, it buys you at most a second or two. While it's theoretically possible that a 15% incoming healing bonus during that second or two might keep you alive once in a blue moon, that seems like a poor investment of 2 skill points. Black Market Mods helps every Underworld Medicine, Kolto Pack and Diagnostic Scan you cast, and seems like a much better investment. Edited by LagunaD

Thanks LagunaD. I think someone earlier in the thread also suggested picking up Black Market Mods. I kept Med Screen but removed the dodge movement speed.

I've updated the guide with a better skill tree.

Edited by Elbmuh

at some point in pretty much every endgame fp or ops boss, im gonna get hit by some stray damage, and med screen is a great way to quickly recover. plus it makes for some pretty satisfying heal crits.

i appreciate the little kolto pack shout-out, love that spell. perfectly balacned between emp and uwm, and last time i checked (which granted was before 1.2) was our best hpe (discounting emp and ds) and hps ability. highly situational, in the longest fights ill only use it a few times, but its such a quick and effective talent i get a warm fuzzy feeling every time i do.

dont forget the rate limit on srm's proc, and more importantly the reduction in this limit based on uh stack count. effect is that no, one uh is not just as good as 3, and if you can keep just 3 people hotted at any given time you can practically guarantee a proc every 6 gcds if you stay at 2-3 stacks of uh.

be sure, if you decide to use cool head, to truly bottom out first so you dont over-regenerate, easy to do with the instand 16 it gives. also dont be afraid to pop it early. sooner its used, sooner it can be used again. just be sure to stagger major cooldowns, essentially cool head, clicky relic and an adrenal if necessary, so you'll always have access to something, even if its just a little more oomph to some diagnostic spam and/or active srms.

Most importantly, under no circumstances should you use tionese, columi or rakata field medic boots. they are so disgusting that if anyone in your group happens to catch a glimpse of them without properly steeling themselves during a fight they will seize up for a moment, losing precious time and probably stand in a circle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I started a Scoundrel a few weeks ago and am pushing through my 30s at the moment. This guide has given me something to shoot for. Great work. The discussions throughout the thread are very infomrative. Devs, sticky this thing.

P.S. I try to knock out a flash point every time I am log on to my character. I find moments even on boss fights when healing is really not needed and I want to contribute to the DPS. What should my primary attacks be when I want to sneak in two or three shots before I refresh my DoT heals?

Edited by Resolute

P.S. I try to knock out a flash point every time I am log on to my character. I find moments even on boss fights when healing is really not needed and I want to contribute to the DPS. What should my primary attacks be when I want to sneak in two or three shots before I refresh my DoT heals?

Here's my thought process regarding dealing damage between heals:

1: How's my energy? If it's low just use Flurry of Bolts as it costs 0 energy. It's a tossup whether one should be casting that or diagnostic scan to try to regen energy faster.

2: Time for just one big attack? Sabotage charge hits quick and hard.

3: How many stacks of upper hand do I have? If it's 2 or my stacks are just about to expire I'll use Blaster Whip to refresh the cool down.

4: Am I fighting a stealther (pvp) or want to deal damage over time? Vital shot is the answer here.

5: Is there a mob? Orbital strike uses a lot of energy but works wonders for taking out a large group of enemies, especially weak ones since they are stunned by it.

The others attacks can be useful in certain situations, such as Cheap Shot on a strong, incapacitated enemy, but the ones I listed above should suffice 95% of the time.

• 3 months later...

This guide will receive a massive update for 2.0, once it's out.

In the meantime, much of this information is out of date and the abilities section will be reworked tremendously.

I'll reply again once this is updated!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi does anyone know of any abilities that go well with a Sage healer in a raid team like the Combat medic(CM) do?

The reason I ask is that a CM now has an excellent AOE heal with Kalto Bomb and if you enable your supercharge cells you have a shield (5% less damage) for 15 secs, on the raid team, does the scoundrel have something like this? with the kalto cloud? or another ability?

Question for you all, given the 2.0 changes I no longer run with set bonuses as mine were transferred away from the shell, and I chose to have better mods instead of the set bonuses.

What is a decent gear setup/optimal set bonsus post-2.0 given the changes from shell to armoring?

The new PVE set bonuses for Underworld and Arkanian armor don't stack with the old PVP set bonus and the new 2-piece PVP set bonus is no longer ideal. Given the new changes in 2.0, grabbing the 2- and 4-piece PVE (Underworld and Arkanian) set bonus is the ideal. I'll clarify this in my guide.