Class Feedback

Bodyguard healer

I hear alot of people saying mercs are the worst healers, and i do see most people roling a sage or IA if they want to make a healer.

I am the only merc healer in my guild (including peoples alts) and my merc is an alt of myself even (main is dps)

I love the class, altho i hated lvling it and still prefer to team up for simple daily quests.

heat management is a challenge sometimes as u need healing scan to reduce rapid scan cost and if u need to throw in an extra heal and emergency scan is on cd, u can fill ur heat quickly on rapid scans unfortunatly.

Only thing i wish is that we could put kolto shell on multiple (but limited) people.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. How do you think your Mercenary spec is perceived by other classes?

ARSENAL

PvE - middle dps. marauder/sniper/powertech-pyro can out dps us with less gear.

I do enjoy the utility of:

a. cleanse comes in handy for Ops

b. can off-heal when healer is down or we need another person to keep the tank up while healer is occupied

PvP - we suck. I feel like this "heavy armor" does NOTHING for me. I am dropped like a sack of potatoes within 10 seconds. before 1.2 I PvP'd every single day and loved it. Now I rarely PvP. I usually avoid it. It is just not fun and I have no way to escape.

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

If we have to move our dps drops WAY down. we only have 1 dot and that is a 1.5 sec cast and on a long cooldown. If we could keep that dot active and somehow spec to lower the cost it would help.

If we could spec to lower the cast time of tracer that might help our moving and low dps situations.

I kind of like dots but enjoy arsenal so adding 1 more dot ability to the top of the tree would be nice and that could also help in increasing our dps while moving (apply dot, move around).

PvP:

-Having a choice between bringing one of two players to Ranked Warzones, at equal skill levels, teams would rather bring the other class to Ranked Warzones and not bring the Mercenary. Mercenary Advanced Class does NOT offer enough utility. If you are a Mercenary and want to do Ranked Warzones, go healer spec. Arsenal Mercs are easy to lockdown and interrupt nonstop, some classes can kill them while keeping almost full hp. Merc Pyro is a joke compared to Pt Pyro in both damage and utility.

2. How do you perceive your own spec? (Sorry, way to many problems to be 3 sentences)

-Arsenal Merc/Pyro Merc: The Utility is very flimsy (light & insubstantial). In order to be considered competitive for ranked warzones, we need a boost in this department. Our damage will never be on top of the charts on equal grounds for Rated Warzones, therefore we need to be more utility based. Warzones don't offer enough time to stand and turret, alot of movement and repositioning is required constantly. Would gladly give up offhealing ability for more unique utility. Arsenal Mercs don't have an interrupt, they have a melee ranged small knockback instead, which is a unique idea that could use some improvements. For PvE, this knockback doesn't work on boss mobs therefore cannot be counted as an interrupt. It also generates heat and cannot be used as an interrupt on full resolve targets, and is a global cooldown. We also have to give up our ranged distance advantage in order to do our knockback-interrupt by moving into melee distance.

-Merc Pyro is a joke compared to Pt Pyro in both damage and utility. This AC has even LESS utility than Arsenal. The range advantage of merc pyro is nothing to smile about, the offheals are not needed and we would rather have them removed in exchange for more unique utility. "Kiting" is not useful enough or good enough (1 in 4 rapid shots applys slow) in ranked warzones when you need to play objectively and not like a pug. We honestly don't want to become the same as PowerTechs because we are a different advanced class, but we would all honestly re-roll PowerTech Pyro in an instant given the choice.

-Bodygaurd: Energy Shield is made to be out "escape" move or ability. This should be unstunnable for at least the 1st 3 seconds because anyone who knows that they are doing will save their stuns/pulls/knockbacks for countering this cooldown. Also to easily locked out from casting by chain interrupts/stuns. Only options are to either use energy shield to prevent interrupts, cast healing scan and once interrupted use supercharged gas, or waste more time not healing by attempting to fake cast until you heat an interrupt go off. Adding 16 heat to kolto shell doesn't allow us to swap it during combat. The 1.2 nerfs were WAYYYY Overkill to heat costs and damage reductions.

-The small nerfs in 1.2 were unnecessary and overboard. All of the Mercs Advanced Classes remained the same and now just offer even less then they did before, and they were already lacking in utility before the nerfs. If you reversed the nerfs, we would be a little better but still needing some unique utility.

-There are more problems, but this is a good start.

PvE:

-Arsenal is in a good place & very competitive with other classes after the recent fix to make target tracking work again.

-Bodygaurd healing is ok but would rather have Sorc for big AOE heals or Operative for big single target heals and additional vanish resurrection on dead players outside of the 1 battle res per 5 minutes.

-Arsenal spec is fine for PvE. This is mainly because there is minimal movement done in PvE Operations and no interrupts or utility required to complete most of the content. I like the new system that vents 8 heat every 6 seconds.

-Bodygaurd spec requires very tight heat management and rotation. We are restricted to 2 abilities that cost heat before we have to use abilities that cost no heat, or else we will overheat. Example: (a) Healing Scan + Rapid Scan + Rapid Shots x 2 (b) Kolto Shell + Kolto Missile + Emergency Scan + Rapid Shots

---MY SUGGESTIONS---

(a) Add More Procs To All 3 Mercenary Advanced Classes.

Example: 30% chance to proc instant cast free heat heal / damage abilities. Such As: kolto shell, kolto missile, tracer missile, powershot, rapid scan, healing scan, reduce cooldown of jet boost for every unload crit.

(b) Add a jump-to-area ability with a 30sec-1min cooldown. This would allow the merc to leap ahead with his jetpack to an area designated by placing a reticle on the ground, visible by the enemy, and the merc can then use his knockback ability after landing. This would also give the enemy time to move away from it as a small counter while giving mercs more utility. You can even add a reverse effect to this ability where the mercenary would jump back to his original location before the jump after 5 seconds.

© Multi-Spec needs to be added right away for this class. I frequently spend 300k-1million credits PER WEEK respecing between pve and pvp for both healing and dps. This is ridiculous.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Main is merc, play sniper and assassin as well

1: In terms of how other classes perceive us, I would answer that as how I perceive fighting a mercenary while playing sniper/assassin. It is by far the easiest advanced class to counter in the entire game. If they're Arsenal 1 interrupt will debilitate them and pyro just requires one def cd to survive. They can't kite and I've never had any issue getting into range of a merc as assassin. Even when I play Deception.

2: I like this class in PvE, quite a bit actually. I think, however, in terms of damage we underperform against certain other classes, mainly melee classes. I like Bodyguard healing in PvE as well. In terms of PvP however, the class is far too frustrating to really enjoy it. If I'm left to turret I can still top the meters but that doesn't mean anything against a smart team, hell even one smart player can take out a merc while eating a sandwich at the same time.

Well lets be honest here, it's lacking majorly...i went into a hm the other day and they were like oh it's a merc this is going to take longer than normal to complete, and as a long time player i have noticed a decrease of merc dps. I cant' goto healing cause i don't have the patience for it.

well i am arsenal, but will probably try pyro to see if there is any major differences in the two. but as I said above and even noticed for myself in HM's and storymode ev and kp i noticed a drop in dps compared to the other classes in the game my two other classes. i can tell has high dps due to certain things that I do, such as ilum dailies on my other two i can come out of a fight with at least 70% of my health. on my merc i usually walk out of ilum with anywhere between 30-50 percent of my health and mind you my other two classes like my merc is a mix of rakata/columi and a piece of black hole.

In PVP:

Arsenal: huge threat when left alone so a priority target for a free and easy kill - get your /laugh ready.

Pyrotech: not a joke but not a threat either

In PvE:

Arsenal & Pyrotech: an acceptable ranged class to take to an Op

In PvP:

Arsenal: I don't play it anymore - when is dual spec coming? The respec costs prevent me from pvping toward the end of the week.

Pyrotech: I do middling damage, stay with the pack at all times, try and avoid 1v1 with anyone and wish ranked was an option for me without gimping the team.

In PvE:

Arsenal: decent damage / fair mobility / can aoe or burst for short internals during a fight and sustain dps if I'm careful with my heat

Pyrotech: decent damage / great mobility / but can't aoe or burst and sustain dps due to heat issues

1: Mercenary healers are widely regarded as the worst healers in both PvE and PvP.

2: i love the Bodygaurd spec in PvE, and in my opinion it isn't underpowered at all. The survivability is great, and it's very challenging. I don't enjoy PvP with this spec, but that's just me.

Arsenal (PVE)

Low-end DPS, compared to other Marauders, Snipers, Jugs and Sorcs. I play in a top-end PVE guild, and our meters show that Merc is lower DPS than these classes. Combined with lack of interrupt, the slow build on our armour debuff and lack of mobility, we are definitely a less desirable DPS class than most DPS builds. Our added utility, in heals and better survivability aren't required in organized operations, and as such are discounted as positives. We are seen as an easy class to master due to our simple rotation ('tracer spam' still being prevalent and required for our rotation) but a poor class overall due to our sub-standard DPS.

I do feel somewhat underpowered compared to other DPS classes in operations. I work my *** off just to feature at all on the DPS rankings, and can never overtake a marauder or sniper if they are being played half-sensibly. I like having the utility of heals and heavy armour, but can see why it really doesn't benefit the operation. I don't feel that our rotation itself is simple or dull, but the abilities themselves are. I just feel like I'm filling a ranged DPS slot in an operation which would be better filled by a sniper at the moment. They do more base DPS. They have increased range. Their debuff is much faster to cast, and as such can be cast on multiple targets. They have a shield which can protect other operation members as well as themselves. Their AOE although slower, is much more powerful, to the point where it is viable in single-target rotation. They can interrupt. Overall Merc is a fun DPS class to play, but is tuned too weak at the moment.

I don't bother with PvP at all. We're too easy to deal with by almost every class. Our utility is pretty sub-standard in PvP and our 'turret' style attacks mean we're easy targets.

Edited by Grumblechris

Mercenary was the first class I rolled when the game came out, I leveled in arsenal and attempted to go to pvp only to realize that the cast times killed any possibility of performing well. One interrupt on tracer missile and your damage is cut in half.

I switched to healing, and have been healing through pve since.

Other classes either think mercenaries are tracer spam noobs or under powered healers

even their DPS is not considered on part with other classes like marauder, sniper or sorc.

I perceive my own class very similarly. My HPS will never be close to a sorc because their aoe allows them to cast on the group and continue firing other heals. Everything has a cast time so I have to plan far ahead for tank spike damage. And kolto bomb is completely useless in almost all scenarios.

The class is 3Rd in basically every category since the armor debuff adjustment. And still had useless moves on all specs. Though I do still love it for the look and challenge of the class, just wish it was more competitive.

1. no complaints about the class in general

2. we NEED an interrupt that can be used on boss fights. when going against Revan and LR-5, interrupts are crucial and if you don't have one, you put your group at a major disadvantage.

I play bodyguard (the healer spec)

1. I think other classes look down on merc healers when it comes to AoE healing. I've never personally gotten told this though, but its the weakest area so its likely somebody has thought it at one point.

2. I think merc heals is a very powerful single target healing class. I have little issue getting the most out of it while still being able to maintain a reasonable heat level. AoE heals is the only area where i'll have trouble, but I think our strength in the single target department makes up for it.

First of all, thank you Bioware for this opportunity to provide community feedback. Even so, I'm not sure if my opinions will necessarily differ, much less be considered. Hopefully some necessary changes for the better can take place from this. That being said, I almost exclusively PVP on my Mercenary, which is arguably my favorite advanced class. I have a 50 Vanguard (used to be Ironfist spec), a 50 Sage (Seer), and a 50 Assassin (Deception).

[Arsenal]

7 - 31 - 3

I can't help but echo the sentiment of others for this response - that Arsenal is very much the laughing stock of Ranged DPS classes. The vast majority of Bounty Hunters (and Troopers for that matter) are Pyrotech, simply because of the high, sustained DPS and burst available to them. In Rated WZs, there seems to be NO place for an Arsenal Mercenary, and I know one individual was never allowed to participate in RWZs and was eventually kicked from his guild because they were embarrassed to have an Arsenal Mercenary among them. While perhaps a cruel exception, this sentiment is widespread.

I've spent a long time perfecting my PVP rotations and helping others to utilize the abilities they have (i.e. not just Tracer Missile), and appreciate comments that, "for an Arsenal Merc, [i'm] pretty good." This build, if left alone, can put out some good sustained damage, but sacrifices mobility and, more often than not, is still out-shined by Pyrotech DPS. To put it succinctly, we are a high-damage turret class without the defensive or utility capabilities of a Sniper (for instance). We need some (if not all) of the following:

• Enhanced mobility
  • The ability to become uninterruptable for a short period of time (like Bodyguard has)
  • A non-channeled snare or root effect (Unload slows for as long as it's channeled, which is often not enough utility to survive)
  • A more efficient Cleanse - namely, one that doesn't have a heat cost and that doesn't respect GCD.
  • Greater survivability in the sense of an escape mechanic. Leave tanking to tanks. (I made approximately the same suggestion as DkSharkTooth's b above - ground-targeted charge escape should be seriously considered.)

I'll admit that if all of these were enabled, we'd be a little OP. I'm certainly not asking for that. But hopefully something can be done to bring Arsenal up to par. I thoroughly enjoy the storyline and the play style, not to mention the incredible voice acting and artwork. It's a shame to see such an iconic Star Wars class perform so poorly under fire.

Edited by Dyrankor

I'm a purely raid-focused Arsenal Merc: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/0ddc5869-7f0a-459f-a20b-01d64f70fdb7

1. Overpopulated. Decent in a raid group. People aren't saying "hooray! a merc for our raid" they're saying "a merc is fine so long as we have enough interrupts".

2. Overall I feel pretty effective since Target Tracking was fixed, but I have three complaints.

First and primarily I hate the way I can't queue an attack after Unload without it casting immediately and cutting off the end of Unload. I should be able to queue up an attack without it interrupting Unloads channel. If I want to interrupt Unload I'll move.

Second, for a raiding Merc who doesn't need knockback or stun breaking moves, I'm stuck with the Integrated Systems skill which is pretty underwhelming for Arsenal.

Third, I don't like the way my survivability has been incrementally nerfed since release (halving Power Barrier and reducing Custom Enviro Suit).

Add a jump-to-area ability with a 30sec-1min cooldown. This would allow the merc to leap ahead with his jetpack to an area designated by placing a reticle on the ground

I want to second this as the BEST IDEA EVER.

Edited by acnoj

Pyro pvp. Elite teams won't consider mercs unless they're heal specced. Like the other players are saying dps mercs are considered a free kill in pvp. God help you if you're arsenal.

Pyro pvp.. I'm a good player. But you absolutely have to spec pyro, and even still no matter how talented you are, apples to apples you simply don't stack up to your powertech counterpart.

I recommend you guys buff Power Shot and Rapid Shots.

1. Merc heals suck and can't keep up with any other healers. Plus they overheat all the time.

2. Merc heals can be competitive. If properly managed, a merc heals can continuously cast heals with a rapid shots only occasionally. This management, however, is extremely unforgiving and a single deviation will send your 1600 hps plummeting. Merc heals are currently able to do all available PvE content, but have very low mobility, and a low margin of error.

EDIT: Not that that's a bad thing. I like merc's playstyle.

I hate PvPing with my merc heals. It's like trying to herd cats.

Edited by ChikenSammichPie

Ranged Damage class that brings nothing to a raid when it comes to utility. Snipers provide ballistic shields, debuffs, and interrupts. Sniper is clearly the better option. PVP – Arsenal is by the far the worse spec in this game when it comes to PVP. Easily interrupted, mediocre burst, and has very little utility. It’s a sitting duck, unlike the Sniper that is a true turret and has the capabilities needed to make it work. Roots and immunity to leaps. Pyro better known as the Poor Man’s PyroTech, a spec that is forced to turret to get the most out its spec that is also gimped with poor class mechanics. Power shot should be made instant and given a 2 point talent that gives a 100% chance to trigger CGC. Powershot and Inferno missile should be used for the PPA talent, and not unload since this spec must remain mobile to survive. It needs to be brought up to par with the powertech version. Currently, mercs have no place in RWZ. Snipers and Powertechs are superior to them.

PVE – Arsenal/Pyro – limited – very little raid utility – damage is decent but nowhere as good as what Powertechs, Marauders, and Snipers are putting out. By far the weakest PVP class in the game. Why play a merc when your only choice is either a gimped turret or a piss poor version of the powertech.

I’ll stick with the Marauder and Powertech – both excel in PVP and PVE.

1. perceived as a useless class when it comes to pvp as it is far to easy to interrupt and can only do good damage if left alone and has a chance to deal damage. In raids i have found it to be a fine member of the raid and can deal a decent amount of dps but is prob not as seen as useful as some other dps classes.

2.In pvp i can still be competitive but it is frustrating when another player engages me in cqc as i really have little way to respond back other than a electric shock which they can cleanse out of anyway and as soon as any attention is given to me i have little chance to fight back. In pve i have really found no problems encountering anything and since i don't get actively attacked by mobs most of the time im free to perform my role of dps freely.

Don't know.

I am leveling up my Merc, level 19 at the moment, so it's hard for me to see the end-picture. Right now I'm just starting to get some key low-level talents and some fun abilities. The AOE in this class is great fun. So... so far so good.

I am a valor level 83 Pyro Merc in full Warhero. I participate in Ranked and un-ranked warzones.

1. In PVP we are seen as an easy target by other classes for three main reasons:

A. Melee typical has no problem closing the gap to attack us. Kiting is difficult and requires twice the skill that engaging in melee does. Melee generally has a very wide range while kiting where they can still hit us.

B. Our survivability is low, even compared to Powertechs. Our shield and self heal are very very weak compared to other classes "OH ****" buttons. Heavy armor isn't much of a boon without the stats or powers to back it up.

C. Our damage is sub-par unless standing still (and even then isn't outstanding) and that makes it pretty easy mode for most classes to cut us up. See points A. and B. Powertechs generally outdamage us due to abilities and survivability.

2. I see my class as potentially fun but not very well thought-out. I feel that I have to play twice as hard to be competitive over classes with iWin buttons and easy mobility.

Main issue with design:

A. We have no jump or pull in warzones. We're basically running around on slow mode while other classes, jump, push, and pull us all over the place. We have a jetpack - why not let us use it?

B. Our main set bonuses on war hero gear are dubious. Accuracy? It doesn't seem to be as beneficial as stacking power or surge for powertechs, and thus they do more damage. Either change our armor stats (which will be a nightmare) or change accuracy works in regards to armor penetration.

C. Our shield cooldown is fairly worthless compared to other classes and doesn't really keep us alive like a sorc's shield. Our DOT heal cooldown is very weak and barely worth using in combat situations.

I would like to see a nerf in damage to powertechs, since they are suppose to be tanks, and a buff in damage to mercs. I'm not looking for godmode like marauders, but the point here is the developers need to be more consistent with the Bounty Hunter class.

Are Mercs DPS? Are they jack of all trades? If so we need to be better at healing and survivability in pyro or arsenal form.

Suggestions:

I think the way to go is change how accuracy works in regards to armor penetration. This should make our damage better across the board without re-working the wheel as it were. That along with more options to kite, a jump or block to other classes jumps, and also some tree ability to make some of our higher damage moves more mobile.

Thanks for your time, I hope you actually read this stuff.

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Arsenal

1. Tracer Missile spammer. Has no defenses. Can't kite you.

2. Broken. When you lookup how to play merc, the ONLY spec offered is heals. Both of the other trees are no where to be found, because they are broken and useless.

Hi everyone,

We’re looking for some specific feedback about each Advanced Class and spec. Your feedback here, along with other feedback we’ve been gathering and our internal metrics, may guide future class balance changes. Similar threads will be found in every Advanced Class forum.

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

Please answer the post using the same format and in no more than 2-3 sentences per question.

This is not a discussion thread, so please do not debate others’ feedback – everyone gets to share what they think. Any off-topic or unconstructive posts (or any that do not follow the above guidelines) will be removed without warning.

Remember, this isn’t the only thread we’re looking at for feedback – if you have more feedback than fits the above guidelines, please feel free to post a discussion thread. We’re looking to get some specific insights here, but we are always reading the forums to gather feedback and player concerns.

Thank you!

I PVP 95% of the time.

1. Other ACs see us as a joke and that every one of our Advanced Classes is subpar.

2. Arsenal - This tree got a little better after the nerfs it received but its not where it needs to be. You have to be pretty much stationary to do damage and that is fine. The damage it does should be worth it though. Currently it is not. Its easy to shut down tracer missile and that is fine, i am ok with that. but it needs to do more meaningful damage. You give up alot by not being able to move so i feel it should be one of the highest damage classes in the game when left alone (similar to a sniper) but currently it just isn't there.

Pyrotech - I am pretty happy where this is. Still not on par with Powertechs but they seem a little overpowered at the moment anyways. I wouldn't mind an increase chance on the dot application. Maybe from 16% to (when talented) 20 or 25%. PTs get a 100% chance to root and we have, currently ~40% when three hits from basic attack is factored in.

Bodyguard - Like arsenal, this tree is the most immobile of the healers. It lacks good escape abilities like the other healing trees have. I also feel it needs a significant buff, Probably half of what was nerfed with 1.2 should be returned. Since it cant move to be effective, it should be the best single target healer by a long shot. I would like to seethe heat cost taken back off of our 30 sec heal on hit, and some of the tree talents need to revert to improve healing.

Arsenal lvl 50 almost bis gear PVE & half war hero / battlemaster PVP.

How do you think your Mercenary spec is perceived by other classes?

PVE moderate DPS with no true benefit to group.

PVP honestly a joke and free kill.

PVE ok but lack DPS, with lack of interrupt and tools beneficial to group we should be top ranged DPS not middle.

PVP a free kill and waste of group spot.

We need a 30m jump to escape ability on moderate cooldown and our defensive sheild damage reduction and heal over time increased, then we could actually be worthy of a ranked warzone spot while leaving PVE basically unaffected.

Edited by DarkForster