Class Feedback

Bodyguard (PvE)

1. Perceived as being on par with other healing classes. Granted, by now I think everyone understands the shortcomings of Merc healing. Considered to be great single-target healers.

2. As someone stated earlier, I feel like I have to work much harder to achieve similar results of other healing classes. With the changes in 1.2, heat is a major issue. I am one Rapid Scan away from being completely useless while I wait for heat to dissipate. It is a careful ballet of managing cool downs and heat.

The two major heat dissipating abilities are a two minute long cool down ..and not casting any heals, SCG may as well not vent any heat.

The spec itself also lacks any sort of visual flare, nothing that really makes it stand out. And not to be super nit-picky, but Rapid Shots is really annoying.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bodyguard here.

1. General consensus here is that Mercs are underpowered in comparison to other classes in terms of damage. Healing is perceived to be okay but still not choice #1 for rwz for some reason.

2. I find that our healing is on par with if not better than Sorc heals imo with Operative being the clear winner in terms of healing in pvp situations. I never Q into WZ's by myself but I don't usually have a guard on me regardless of that. I do well enough until there are 3 + on me in which case I usually die. But other than that I can usually keep myself up while giving my dps time to get rid of them. I have also heard a lot about heat issues, and while that does happen I feel as though with proper cooldown usage I can help to avoid such instances. I find that Bodyguards can do decent damage as well as healing in WZ's. I tend to get at the very least 300k healing and 75k damage each game. I have had it reach upwards of 400k healing and 180k damage. Quite possible to have a 300k healing/damage game if you ask me.I would buff our kolto shield a bit because it just seems kind of superfluous. I still always use it, but just seems weak. And obviously an additional root or snare would be nice to have so as to give us some space. Would also like to see the HoT off of our healing scan buffed because it seems to do next to nothing in the scheme of things.

Thats a loaded question for 2 or 3 sentences... but I'll try.

1. How do you think your Mercenary spec is perceived by other classes?

DPS is either weak or easy to counter in pvp and average in pve, Healer is harder to kill than a sorc easier than a op and heals less than both.

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

I feel it's much harder to succeed in pvp than most classes as either a healer or a dps merc due to no interupt and 1 fairly weak strictly defensive ability. I also feel weak in pve but pve doesn't feel as demanding.

Suggestions. DPS: Give us an interrupt and a jump. Make powershot/tracer unstoppable while shield is up if talented(much like a snipers entrench but we'd have to spend points). Healing: Make supercharged gas more meaningful... imo an aoe heal around us that moves with us while active that tics for a little less than the sorcs aoe(as it's mobile). This would lets us bring a very balanced yet unique and useful skillset to both pvp and pve.

Edited by GrammatonC
Had a suggestion and my post isn't long anyways

I can't comment on PVP cos I avoid it like the plague (and I feel for you guys trying to be competitive at it) but for PVE my lot are currently just finishing EC hard mode, so I'm thinking of those encounters when I write these comments, and I am arsenal spec...

I believe my guild think Mercs are good, I dps - one of the other guys heals - and am no less or more competitive on the dps meter than the other specs really, It depends on the fight.

AoE dps is good, mobility and survivability are good too in PVE, you just have to work out where to park up and when to do things, so you can use your instants while moving and while the buffs/debuffs are nicely stacked up - pretty much the same as a mage in WoW used to tbh. If the boss doesn't have a mechanic that disadvantages Mercs (some do, some don't), and I don't nab my rotation I can quite easily keep up with everyone else.

I think some of you guys are are forgetting that we've got heavy armor and heals when you complain about a lack of utility. I can imagine it being a pain in PVP but it's really not in PVE - Do not underestimate the power of being able to keep your own *** alive when the boss has 50k left, the tank just bought the farm and the combat res is on CD.

I like it, it's versatile, I can do plenty of sustained dps on a single target, a crapload of sustained AoE dps, and also save the day when things occasionaly get sticky. For me, it's not just about being top of the meter on every single fight, it's about my raid group kicking the bosses *** and I believe mercs bring quite a few things to the table as they are, that help make that happen.

I can't interrupt but I can CC, stun and knockback, and I don't want to be able to do everything, I want my class to be different from everyone else's so that we each have strengths.

I have felt a little underpowered after each patch, but only until I've played about with my armor mods and rotation to re-prioritise things and that has so far seemed to have worked fine. You deffo need to swap mods and enhancements around to maximise your potential. That said, if the QQing gets loud enough and you want to give us a dps boost, a sexy interrupt and... oh I dunno, perhaps even an "I win" button, please don't let me stop you because I love loot more than Sméagol. :)

Cheers for making a top MMO, please keep doing it.

Edited by CeeThreePeeNuts

Arsenal here.

To be blunt, poorly. I am specifically talking about PvP here, however this can relate to PvE as well. For RWZs, there are certain builds of teams (optimized classes/specs), and Mercs fail to be on any of these builds. And for good reason, our lack of survivability (Energy Shield, Kolto Overload, Medpacks, and possibly Power Surge + Rapid Scan), and lack of CC/interrupts (Electro Dart and Concussion Missle are our only real ones, with Rocket Punch and Jet Boost working if you're in range and if their resolve isn't full), make us a burden to carry along rather than an ideal class. Even with these issues however, I have found myself to be quite successful in both PvP and PvE, and certainly blaming one's class for poor performance would suggest to me that there are issues that go beyond just that.

I PvE'd more heavily before 1.2, and since then have become more PvP oriented, PvEing casually on the side. I go into warzones, typically get ~300k damage, and mostly end up in the Top 3 for Medals and Damage. This may make it seem as if our class is "working as intended," however in order for Arsenal Mercs to be truly viable, we need some sort of change to be made. Not to our rotation or anything that would change the way Arsenal is played, but a change in our survivability and/or CC and interrupt abilities needs to be changed. I'd definitely prefer a buff in one of our survivability skills, however a root or snare would certainly help our class. Due to the short nature of this post (2-3 sentence answers per question), I think that a buff to our survivability would be the best bet. An additional CC/interrupt would be welcome, but really just something to make us more viable.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note - PvP in this game will always be broken as long as roots/snares don't count as anything on the resolve bar. This needs fixing.

Edited by ProjecTimeZ

Hi, i'm 93 lvl full WH pyrotech.

One of the useless classes in this game. Low dps (look at WZ statistics), terrible defences. Almost any class can kill us 1on1. We need DPS and defence improvements. Give us pyrotech bonuces AS POWERTECHs have. Our defences systems, OHHH WE HAVE A SHIELD LOL - its useless, OHH we have a healing ability - LOL while u activating it - you're dead. We cant kill, we dont have boosted speed run, we cant jump, we cant pull, we cant interrupt, we dont have defencive abilities, we CAN NOTHING. Oh thx u great BW for that "amazing" class. Boba Fett would be proud of you.

P.S. we are all paying same money for this game BUT other classes have advanteges, THAT's not right

This post is designated Primarily for DPS Mercenary Trees, with secondary claim to the Bodyguard tree, Familiar with all 3 specs

1. Mercenaries are perceived by others to be the easy target as they are not perceived to be a threat, in most any spec; with low survivability when targeted by 2 or more players/multiple enemy mobs (PVE). Cast time abilities on most of our core skills make us easy to counter, making mobility very low.

2. Mercenary is a toss up for me. While I have learned to play my Mercenary to its full potential, we lack the survivability that even ranged classes seem to have (Sorc/Sage Bubble, Op/GS Cover). We also aren't able to use skills that all BH's should be able to use (jet pack/grapple pull make sense in a story standpoint, else why would we carry them at all). Damage still feels weaker then most other classes, if only be a relatively small margin. Overall class improvement in these areas would be an asset.

One solid recommendation from an "honest" BH Merc: Allow us to use Stationary Cover (IE: broken wreckage strewn across a planet or the downed crates in Voidstar) to a lesser degree then Gunslingers (who must fully rely on the Cover mechanic itself and by doing so, gain a better benefit from it.) Maybe make stationary Cover destructible, so that it can't always be used, making BH's versatile, having to think about their next move more so then normal.

We appreciate your hard work BW, but please fix our class.

Edited by Bombomelette
Correction

I play Arsenal Spec Merc. I completed the first tier of raids in HM (including HM KP the week it opened). I have since stopped raiding due to players leaving the game, so I won't comment on PVE.

1. PVP: Other classes view:

LOL, merc. Kill him. And they do. I have no real way to prevent it.

2. PVP: How I view my class:

I'm a turrent class who's entire schtick revolves around a 1.5 second cast that unlocks more powerful abilities. In practice, if I'm left alone I can still do fine damage. The problem is that everyone knows once you interrupt tracer missle, you've effectively shut down an ars. merc. Everything a Pyro merc can do, a pyro PT does better. There is no reason to play this AC as anything other than a healer, and in PVP, nobody can touch an Op. I have shelved him, despite being a BM. We need better mobility or better defensive abilities. Pick one.

Edited by The_Assuran

1. How do others perceive Mercs? From following the forums, it seems that everyone here thinks Arsenal is the only viable spec, but they then complain about the turret feel of the class. It seems like the overall perception on the forums is that bodyguard is a gimped healer class. In game, I've never personally experienced any negative comments about my class, the closest being a comment that Bodyguard AOE heals weren't as good as Sorc AOE heals.

2. How do I perceive my class? This is primarily from a PVE perspective. I've played pyro up to 1.2 and Bodyguard post 1.2, so please keep in mind that any comments regarding DPS are a bit dated. Overall, I love the class. I believe it is more difficult to play than other classes, and takes more skill, but I enjoy the challenge and knowing how my class works, I can stack up against anyone. Please leave the complexity there! I like the fact that I have to be situationally aware and do more than mash 3 buttons. Regarding bodyguard, I don't believe we are underpowered. I've healed a couple pug raids where the only healers were bodyguards, and we did fine. I can't heal a group through stupid mistakes, but I shouldn't be able to. The hardest thing for me as a Bodyguard is threat. I seem to generate inordinate amounts of threat, and healing myself is expensive. Kolto shell is a nice workaround, but then my tank doesn't have it. Regarding pyro, I honestly think that if played right, it is an OP class. The amount of damage I can put down coupled with how much I can heal is unreal, and a lot of fun.

Pryo Merc:1300 Expertise, full war-hero gear, 900 power

Most people think arsenal and Pyro mercs are a joke, we have one get out of stun skill. can be LOS too often. Dont do enough dps, arent great healers anymore. cc/root leave alone as you score type of class to deal with.

I enjoy my pyro merc, average about 450k per war zone, I believe I help the group achieve our objectives, but unsure.

Edited by Redmyst

I play a bodyguard Merc. I do not pvp, I do not care about pvp and I have no intention of ever pvping.

How other's peceive my class/spec: The least desired healing class to take in an operation. I actually don't see as many healy mercs as there use to be prior to the nerf bat.

How I perceive my toon: I enjoy playing my toon a great deal, it's fun and for the most part interesting. I'm still at a loss as to why we got such a huge nerf other than we were too powerful in pvp. Well I and many like me do not pvp don't care about pvp and are very upset that the class we enjoy playing is suffering in pve because of pvp. I understand that it's a balancing act etc etc to balance both pvp and pve, but you guys swung the nerfbat just a bit too hard our way. The difference between the healing classes is rather extreme at the moment Ops and sorcs are for the most part very close together. Mercs healing feels clunky now because of having to drop alacrity my heals often take too long to hit intended target (often the Op healer heals my target before my cast even ends lol). Sure I could put alacrity back on my gear then I would be high heat all the time. So please fix alacrity or revert some of the terribad resource nerfs you did to BH. I already played a mmo where my class continuously got the nerf bat because of pvp and I'm greatly disappointed that the same is happening here despite the fact the you guys said you would not be doing this. If a nerf is justified or needed I'm ok with that but to nerf based solely on an "optional" part of the game is not right.

Arsenal

High DPS and burst. Easily killed in PVP due to lack of defensive abilities, especially against melee.

PVE: High DPS, fun to play, fairly mobile.

PVP: Needs more defensive abilities, such as a long lasting snare to help keep melee off.

all specs in regards to PVP

1. arsenal is laughed at, bodyguard is our bread and butter, pyro is good enough

2. arsenal is worthless in pvp, pyrotech is fun and slightly underrated, bodyguard is the go to for helping groups win wzs

Edited by rotatorkuf

From a PvP PoV

1) It’s all about burst – The perception is that a Merc takes too long to get into its sweet spot in both heals and DPS.

2) I like to survivability vs. pure output of Bodyguard, but I struggle with the escape ability. Once marked as a healer, I’m never allowed to merely run off incoming DPS. A “jump back” (like a WH/WE in WAR) utility would be a GREAT mechanic keeping with the BH lore. The other 2 healer types that escape ability, which allows them to get back to healing teammates.

2-3 sentences?* Surely you kid...

Mercenary: Pyrotech (main) / Bodyguard (secondary)

I am an active PvE player, with NM content under my belt, despite the shortcomings of the Merc AC's.* I have played all 3 specs in both PvE and PvP, but I will focus on Pyro and Bodyguard since they are my preferred specs, and the 2 that I regularly go between.

PvE DPS:* Pyrotech is "weak", well below the damage capability of other DPS classes.* Not worth taking in HM or NM ops if a sniper or sorc is available.* Or a marauder.* Or anything else really.

PvP DPS: A total non-threat.* Lack of significant damage (burst and sustained) only makes Pyro a nuisance to opponents.* To teammates, Pyro is an inferior dps slot and incapable of defending a node due to the lack of defensive cooldowns.* Not as easy to kill as Arsenal due to mobility, but still a free kill.* A waste of space in a RWZ group.

PvE Heals:* An adequate healer, however sub-par to a sorc or operative.* Lack of a stong AoE, coupled with expensive abilities and an unforgiving resource makes them a liability on encounters where there is a lot of group wide damage.* Best used as a tank healer.

PvP Heals:* Difficult to kill, due to amount of instant abilities and the talent which allows them to become uninterrupted.* Easy to counter though, because they aren't a strong multi-target healer.* Sit a marauder on them, and they won't be able to heal anyone else.

PvE DPS:* I love the mechanics and play style of Pyrotech, but am thoroughly disappointed with the damage output and lack of utility.* Compared to the Powertech version of Pyro, Merc:Pyro is a joke.* Damage is "acceptable" for most groups, however it is bottom of the charts with no utility to make up for the lack of damage output.* I chose pyro for it's mobility (I hate being a turret), but 2 primary abilities require me to be standing still (Power Shot and Unload).* Oddly enough (sarcasm), PT:Pyros don't have a cast time on a single ability that they use on a regular basis (Rocket Punch and Flame Burst).

-Power Shot as a staple ability sucks, plain and simple.* Especially compared to what PT's get in the form of Flame Burst.* A 100% chance to proc CGC versus a 40% is RIDICULOUS.* On top of that, Flame Burst is instant (vs a 1.5 activation time) and does significantly more damage than Power Shot.*

-Rail Shot doesn't do nearly as much damage as many feel that it should.* Again, PT's see larger Rail Shot numbers because they have more armor-pen via talents and HVGC.

-The recent nerfs to Death From Above places it significantly behind other AoE abilities.* It has not only the smallest area of effect, but the longest cooldown of all the AoE abilities.* If the intent is for sweeping blasters to be used more, then that ability needs a damage boost and a heat reduction.* I could be OK with the current damage of DFA if it had a shorter CD, or a larger area of effect.

-Although more an issue in PvP, we are also extraordinarily weak defensively.* Heavy armor has little-to-no effect on our survivability, and our personal bubble is a wast of a GCD when compared to the defensive CD's that other classes have.* Further crippling us (and the groups we are in) is the lack of a REAL interrupt.* Bosses are immune to all of our "interrupts".

PvP DPS:* See the above.*

-Also, PvP is where our lack of defense and utility really rears it's head.* With the resolve system, we have no dependable escape mechanism.* Our knockback(s), stun, and CC are all dependant on the resolve of our opponent NOT being full.* Same goes for interrupting ranged or healers.*

-The "root" that we can talent from CGC is ineffective, because CGC only has a 40% of occuring, so it doesn't even count in the minds of most mercs because it is so unreliable.

PvE Heals:* Healer Mercs are capable, but still way behind the other healers as far as healing ability.* Although I have less heat issues healing than with DPS, the resource itself is problematic.

-Merc AoE and group healing is sub-par.* Kolto Missile doesn't hit enough targets in OPs, and lacks the DoT element of the Sorc "purple puddle".* If a group takes a large hit of AoE damage (a mechanic in some encounters) a merc will overheat 2x trying to heal the group and people still die.

-Healing abilities are resource heavy, esp our big heal, which is 25% of our resource pool.

-The inability to target yourself with Rapid Shots forces BH healers to waste their valuable heat on themselves, instead of tanks and/or players.

-Supercharged Gas, it just isn't super anymore.* Or charged.* It's just gas at this point.

PvP Heals:* Again, they are capable up healing 1-2 targets, and great at keeping a tank/ball carrier alive.* However, they are easy to control due to how they have to heal themselves (no rapid shots).*

On a broader note, Chaff Flare doesn't do a damn thing.* Why not make it useful as a defensive CD in PvP?

A lot of BH players have suggested a targeted jet-jump as a defensive option for Mercs, and I think that is a fantastic idea to help us maintain range, and to escape from dangerous situations, without having to worry about whether or not our attacker has a full resolve bar.

I hate to mention WoW, but Merc:BG needs something like Holy Paladins' "Beacon", where they recieve a small % of their healing done, so that they don't have to waste heat on themselves.* Or just let them use Rapid Shots on themselves.

In Summary, here are your "3" sentences.* There are more since I am covering 2 specs.

Merc:Pyro damage is sub-par and unacceptable when compared to PT:Pyro's.* And pretty much every other DPS spec.

Merc defenses are weak, and we have no reliable way to escape from "danger".

Mercs in general are lacking in unique or useful group utility.* Battle res available from other classes, armor pen debuff from other classes.* Pyro and BG don't even offer a debuff or buff.

Merc healers need better group healing utility.

Merc healers need better resource management.

Bodyguard, great for single target. Terrible for aoe/group. I'm not sure we're as useful as other healing classes, no interrupt, no pull, no stealth, no speed.

I miss the survivability we had at release, I find Kolto Shell to be quite useless. Would like something done to it to make it interesting/worth re-casting in a fight(temporary shield/damage reduction?)

From a PvP perspective, very, very weak. Very easy to interuppt, no reliable way to kite any melee classes, poor utility and desperately in need of a snare or root.

2. How do you perceive your own spec? (Arsenal Spec)

Desperately in need of a root / snare or even as others have suggested, some kind of disengage ability that leaps you back away from your target. Very weak compared to other ranged DPS classes.

1. In PvP it is percieved as completely useless as attacks can easily be countered, as arsenal dps i find it hard to defend myself from other classes since my attacks require that i am standing still.

2. I percieve my class and spec (arsenal) as a hard hitting fun to play spec that is only missing an interrupt. I find that it is a good class to play, unless i am fighting a healer where lack of interrupts really causes a major annoyance.

PvP only perspective, particularly ranked.

DPS are seen as a joke class, free kills. People respect bodyguard healers enough, they find them hard to kill and will welcome them in rated warzone groups, but Arsenal spec is a laughing stock, marauders and powertechs look at them like a fresh piece of meat. Pyro spec is considered okay but is clearly inferior to the powertech version and therefore pointless to bring along unless no one else is available. My guild and rated team asked me to change to healer as no other merc spec is welcome in ranked warzones, and this is a common opinion. Take from that what you will.

A Bodyguard merc is a good healer, not as good as op/scound, but there's no shame in that as they need a tweak down rather than us needing a buff. Arsenal is a mess, a liability, and needs some heavy mechanic changes rather than the mild tweaks we've been offered recently. Pyro is okay damage wise, but is blatantly inferior to the powertech version whilst bringing no utility to the table in comparison with other classes - therefore, a pointless spec.

Edited by Sinsavz

Bodyguard:

1. As a Healer I think Mercs are viewed as the best for single target healing by others.

2. However, i think our Kolto Shell is lacking, and not being able to heal ourselves with Rapid Shots is annoying.

DPS:

1. In PVE were thought as Good enough. In PVP a competent interrupter has no problem defeating a Merc...

most classes can be this way.

2. Our Damage is fine as long as were not moving around too much. But our Instant Cast Stun, Eletro Dart,

isn't very instant... it takes time to travel the actual distance to the target. Example in HM Kephess, when the

Bomber mob spawns it can still get is rocket off before our dart hit them. Also I think adding a regular

interrupt to our abilities would improve our utility in PVE and PVP a great deal.

I play as bodyguard spec.

Strong PVE healer as long as incoming damage is steady.

Strong single target PVE healer. Has issues with group healing with significant incoming damage (EV ANNIHILATION DROID). Can throw large heals but suffers from heat issues reducing me to shooting my teammates and hoping for my vent heat cd. Wish supercharge gas was more viable.

1. In PvP, Mercs are viewed as easy kills, and it's echoed quite well on the forum boards.

2. I was Arsenal and switched to Pyrotech and had much better mobility and only a slightly better increase in damage. But you would do much with that spec as a Powertech due to not only survivability, but the 100% proc of Combustible Gas Cylinder and a reduction in target speed by 50%. An advantage a Merc could because of our low survivability compared to other classes, or what someone mentioned before, using stationary cover but with less percentage then Sniper cover.

Bodyguard spec.

1. PvE - Only healing class that you can't take 2 of on a Ops run and expect to actually complete it. Great at single target heals but with no actual AoE heals we're typically looked on as the worst healer to bring on Ops and FP's.

PvP - Can be a powerhouse if left alone, but can be taken down pretty easily by 1 person who knows how to interrupt, especially interrupting without actually using the interrupt abiliy (i.e. throw, pull, etc.), or 2 people who half-arse it. Would only be considered in RWZ's as a last resort, and if someone was well and truly desperate.

2. PvE - As already mentioned, great at single target heals, but the overheating can be a huge issue. If you have an OH CRAP moment where the Ops group takes a beating you're going to overheat and blow through your vent heat in less than 20 seconds. Just better hope and pray that the mobs or boss are almost dead anyway or it's pretty much a garaunteed wipe. Lack of a AoE heal hurts us a lot, especially if the Ops is forced to take damage, like the falling damage during the Soa encounter in EV. Adding a slight HoT to kolto missile would help, especially if it became a smart heal. Even being able to use Kolto Shell on multiple people would help tremendously, it's a pre-fight ability anyway due to it's high heat cost.

PvP - If left alone we can be a healing powerhouse, but once we engage in combat things turn into poodoo real fast. As mentioned before in this thread and a lot of others, the lack of an interrupt is a problem, personally though, I'd like some kind of 'escape' ability. Not being able to stun someone long enough, or even root them, in order to escape to heal another day is very annoying. Sucks having to just sit there and heal yourself and hope someone comes to your rescue, more than often they won't, and with our overheating issues we'll lose the fight in the long run anyway. Tried a few RWZ's, those were laughable. Could only get off 1 regular heal and 1 instant cast before being stunned to death. At most only gained 2 medals in each WZ, not worth the aggravation to me.

1. How do you think your Mercenary spec is perceived by other classes? (PvE Arsenal)

I'm a PvE Arsenal Merc and I personally do not think I'm in a sufficient position to answer this. I only came back very recently but from what I've seen and heard is that arsenal mercenaries are sub-par right now in comparison to other classes.

2. How do you perceive your own spec? (PvE Arsenal)

I feel as though I'm too reliant on the unload proc. After I use Heat-Seeker Missiles and Rail Shot feel very underwhelming having to spam Tracer Missile and my basic attack (So I don't overheat) waiting for Unload. And if it does only for me to have to move out of an AoE in the middle of the channel then it all feels like a complete waste.

Edited by Delnoir

1. I see my posts on the forums, and chat comments in-game for that matter, saying that tracer missle spammers are bad/don't know how to play. I would say that Arsonal spec is one of the most trashed/trolled specs in game.

2. I preceive Arsonel to be a stationary platform. An example, in Huttball PvP it feels like I spend more time standing in one place firing off missles at targets than chasing them down, which is fine because its a ranged class.