Please make force leap count towards resolve.

Order-Sixty-Six

What I recently discovered, and I'm not so keen on, is that it takes 3 pulls to fill resolve. Yes, from empty resolve, I was pulled from the endzone ledge into the pit, leaped to an ally, pulled again, leaped to an enemy (his own fault, to be sure), and then I noticed I still did not have full resolve. I quickly passed and rightly so, because I was stunned a second later.

Was one of those pulls from a friendly?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, putting Roots / Snares on Resolve just means that my Marauder will wreck face a WHOLE LOT more.

I'd pretty much have a white bar almost at all times, which means no more CC/KB during Gored Ravages or Massacre spam, etc. I still run 15% faster than most people at all times, and bring 80% Predation that I can give out like candy. You won't get away, believe me. Not from me OR my teammates.

Be careful what you wish for...

Edited by Varicite

BW has stated that roots will not go towards resolve. just another nail in the coffin for me. apparently this is a game of "lets see who has the most stuns/roots"

and to the gs leg shot. good, it needs to be on resolve, i play GS and think it is insane how i can keep someone rooted/stunned for 30 seconds.

Edited by ForsakenKing

BW has stated that roots will not go towards resolve. just another nail in the coffin for me. apparently this is a game of "lets see who has the most stuns/roots"

and to the gs leg shot. good, it needs to be on resolve, i play GS and think it is insane how i can keep someone rooted/stunned for 30 seconds.

Until you fill their resolve... then you can only root for 5s (assuming they aren't taking damage to break it early).

Was one of those pulls from a friendly?

Hostile pulls/grapples only fill resolve by 400, iirc. I know 2 hostile pulls doesn't max out resolve, since our rated team has used chain-pulls (followed by a hard-stun after the 2nd one) to put many a ball-carrier into the fire near their own end-zone for an easy goal.

Honestly, putting Roots / Snares on Resolve just means that my Marauder will wreck face a WHOLE LOT more.

I'd pretty much have a white bar almost at all times, which means no more CC/KB during Gored Ravages or Massacre spam, etc. I still run 15% faster than most people at all times, and bring 80% Predation that I can give out like candy. You won't get away, believe me. Not from me OR my teammates.

Shhh... let them keep trying for it. I really wanted them to /facepalm after they discover how much easier it would be for some of us to take advantage of this.

Hostile pulls/grapples only fill resolve by 400, iirc. I know 2 hostile pulls doesn't max out resolve, since our rated team has used chain-pulls (followed by a hard-stun after the 2nd one) to put many a ball-carrier into the fire near their own end-zone for an easy goal.

Oh that's right. Pulls/Pushes/Knockbacks are all 400 Resolve. Brain fart on my part.

Seriously, the only class/spec that can really complain about roots (with validity) is pyro PT/assault VG and DPS Sorc/Sages. Everything else has something that is capable of countering them - though some have more than others. And it is with good reason that pyros/assaults are susceptible to roots, due to their crazy damage potentials (which are still decent even while rooted).

If you're a pyro/assault PT/VG, you have the option to spec into AP/Tactics - which has a great counter + immunity - yes, you'd sacrifice your face-melting DPS as a pyro/assault to respec into AP/Tactics, but it's not a bad spec, and it can dish out higher numbers than pyros in warzones where enemies cluster significantly. AP/Tactics has ZERO root-source vulnerabilities (unless the speed buff + immunity ability is on cooldown, so again, timing is key).

If you're a sorc/sage, you can spec into heals and be able to cleanse physical roots (which are some of the most significant) - or you can spec into lightning/telekinetic and pick up bubble-mez (which is certainly one of the most annoying things for any melee class to contend with). Sorc/Sages likely have the least viable counters - dam you leg shot!! lol

All warrior/knight classes have saber ward (which will significantly reduce your chances of getting rotted via leg shot and charge/leap) - but if that isn't enough for you, you can spec the middle tree (vengeance if jugg, I forget what it is for guardians) and have 4s immunity to pretty much everything (and get additional damage mitigation) that hinders movement following a charge (which also applies to obliterate, though vengeance/rage hybrids are pretty poor). Middle tree specced juggs/guardians have the most potentially preventative counters to roots (saber ward is their only on-demand counter).

Maras/sents also have saber ward (though it isn't 100% melee/ranged defense chance for the first 2s that juggs/guardians get) - again, if that isn't enough for you, you can spec into carnage/combat and obtain a talent that upgrades predation's speed bonus + force camo will now break all existing slows/stuns. Only root vulnerabilities are sorc/sage roots... and, of course, your own cooldown timers.

Agents/Smugglers - you have evasion - ops/scounds can dispel the physical/tech-based roots, lethality -the far right tree, sorry don't recall the name for pubs- (for all agents/smugglers) offers a talent that causes the countermeasures ability to break roots/slows as well - yes, this spec is pretty useless for ops/scounds, but it's very nice for snipers/slingers. While susceptible to sorc/sage roots, they can counter these with evasion and countermeasures (if specced). Overall, very little root susceptibility - and snipers aren't hindered significantly when they do get rooted.

Assassins/Shadows - yeah, very little need to go into detail here, since shroud breaks all negative effects and grants imunity to everything force/tech-based - and then there's deflection - which is 50% melee/ranged defense bonus, so there ya go, another significant method to avoid leg-shot/charge/leap roots. Tank specs (which have utility in abundance) have a 20s cooldown (10s cooldown reduction) on force speed which will also break any existings stuns/roots (though this doesn't give immunity to them for its duration, use it wisely), an extra 2s duration on shroud (with a 15s cooldown reduction). Seriously, no excuse for tank specced assassins/shadows to complain about roots since they have the most on-demand counters to it (and can counter EVERY SINGLE TYPE).

Mercs/Commandos - yeah, I hear you guys, you're certainly lacking preventative counters (proactive), but you still have retroactive counters to the majority of root sources by curing them (and I RARELY see you guys actually do this - in fact, the only ones that I DO see using it also happen to be the ones that I find to actually be good at playing as merc/commando). Now, it's rare for mercs/commandos to be ball-carriers and charge/leaps are the most common rooting effects that result in impending doom (albeit, these rarely even need to be cured since you can knockback those dastardly melees - twice, if you're arsenal/gunnery specced) - leg shot's ranged root can be cured. This leaves madness/balance sorc/sage's 31 pt ability's 2s root and their lightning/telekinetic spec's knockback + root (5s) as the only roots that should cause you any trouble.

Well, there ya go. That's the jist of it. As you can see, every class has at least SOME OPTIONS to counter roots (some classes/spec are better than others, certainly). Furthermore, lets not forget that good teammates can retroactively remove root effects (if merc/commando/ops/scound/sorc/sage) and that ALL teammate's classes can proactively prevent potential roots on you if they root (any enemy warrior/knight classes), CC (any possible root-tosser), or even significantly accuracy debuff (warriors/knights, snipers/slingers) your enemies that might be in a position to apply a root effect on you.

Roots are only overpowered if you have no individual means to prevent them from yourself in conjunction with terrible teammates that refuse to support you - then again, since you would need both of these situations to suffer most significantly from roots, it's certainly not what I would justify as a valid reason to consider them overpowered.

Why is this thread still going? I mean you did receive a Bioware representative's response.

What more do you want? I think it is obvious they are not going to completely redesign pvp, which took x years to design in the first place.

So... why?

Well truth is it's melee DPS classes asking for this because if you are rooted as a healer or a ranged DPS you can still cast. I've always seen this as an argument by Mdps for a buff disguised as frustration that every now and then someone roots them and gets away. :p

Well truth is it's melee DPS classes asking for this because if you are rooted as a healer or a ranged DPS you can still cast. I've always seen this as an argument by Mdps for a buff disguised as frustration that every now and then someone roots them and gets away. :p

I would have honestly thought this too, but the number of Snipers and other rDPS classes in this thread astound me. : o

I just want leap to not force me to sit there like a free 3 second stun in Huttball. The only argument I've seen is "we need it to counter lag", which is just weak.

It's not a weak argument, it's the reasonn why it's rooting people. It's why they added a 1 sec root on obliterate.

Use deflection along with force speed for those crucial moments. Problem SOLVED.

Christ do i need to teach you everything?

Ahh so this is how shadows continue to walk away from me when I force jump/jet charge with my tanks! I guess you do need to learn us more!

To the OP, why are you asking for the advantage? Warriors and jedi watch for you to hit the pit for the jump to pin and burn you. Take it away and what strategy is left? The biggest difference between roots and stuns is you still can function I.e. throw the ball! Is this what you want no but its strategy. And I didn't read all the post so I'm sorry if its been addressed but you asking for in your senario the ability to turn the bird on what is currently a viable play in hutball is pretty selfish.

Since it appears you already have a counter to the play it seems mute to address it further. But on the note for resolve if it was affected by any impairing ability everyone would always have a full resolve bar. If you can still make actions it is not resolve worthy!

I just want leap to not force me to sit there like a free 3 second stun in Huttball. The only argument I've seen is "we need it to counter lag", which is just weak.

Grab the ball, throw the ball.

PS) You're not very familiar w/ leap mechanics in general, it seems, if you think that is a "weak argument".

Edited by Varicite

I'll say what I said then: Rooting effects like Force Leap might not "take control away" from ranged classes, but it sure as hell does from Melee classes. A Root effect is pretty much as effective against a Marauder or Sentinel as a stun is, without the resolve to show for it.

And my favorite

-Immobilizes the target for up to 3 seconds through full resolve with a potential 13 second cooldown.

You do realize that this is under only one tree... right? And in my and many opinions. Not the most viable tree in PvP. It seems like this is the part that bothers you most and it shouldn't. If it wasn't for this it would make the tree even less useful in PvP and excuse me if I'm wrong. I've been annihilation for a while now so I could be mistaken but I believe it's a root... and a root only. I really don't see the problem.