The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

wow the jedi knight really holds the saber like this the entire time?

Tierdal

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe jedis have to stand around looking like this...like have you SEEN sith warriors?

I stand around with 1 hand hodling my saber...one hand ready to force push and force choke

and i spin my saber around...

i look amazing...

jedis look like a fresh padawan who just picked up a lightsaber a week ago

That actually hold the saber the way someone who knows what they are doing with a blade like weapon. The Sith stance would be useless in reality but is meant to display their focus being rage rather than calm.

I'm going to implement Skyrim philosophy here.

The gods granted us two hands. Using them both to wield a weapon is a mark of strength and should be respected.

Using one hand to wield a weapon just looks girly.

This is the first thing out of Skyrim I've ever heard that I agree with.

Well said.

The tradeoff is that the basic Jedi slash attack looks elegant, while the basic Sith slash attack looks like they're trying to use their saber like a sledgehammer.

i dunno

the sith slash resembles Luke Skywalkers beat down motion on vader.

The guardian one looked ok I guess.. it looks a bit similar to the rage building attack tho

i dunno

the sith slash resembles Luke Skywalkers beat down motion on vader.

The guardian one looked ok I guess.. it looks a bit similar to the rage building attack tho

This might be the worst troll attempt I have witnessed on these forums so far. That is saying a lot.

one of the main reasons i chose JGuardian as a main character after hours of serious consideration is that their stance actually represents real long blade fencing stances.

as a former historical fencing enthusiast i absolutely adore that.

and btw the OH COOL factor was one of those things that ruined WoW aesthetically for me. When designers started to listen to cool kids like our OP and implement absolutely unrealistic, stupidly designed weapons and armor in game. I really hope this fate will pass SWTor.

one of the main reasons i chose JGuardian as a main character after hours of serious consideration is that their stance actually represents real long blade fencing stances.

as a former historical fencing enthusiast i absolutely adore that.

and btw the OH COOL factor was one of those things that ruined WoW aesthetically for me. When designers started to listen to cool kids like our OP and implement absolutely unrealistic, stupidly designed weapons and armor in game. I really hope this fate will pass SWTor.

By the gods! Someone who actually notices such things and cares for them. You, sir, just brought back part of my faith in humanity, which I considered irretrievably lost.

It's refreshing indeed, when you play a sword-wielding class and notice, that the attacks you carry out make sense from practical point of view.

The tradeoff is that the basic Jedi slash attack looks elegant, while the basic Sith slash attack looks like they're trying to use their saber like a sledgehammer.

I don't see a problem with this, sledgehammers probably kill just as good as elegant weapons when it comes down to it.

To be honest, I wish I had more direct control over my Jedi and his light-sabre.

e.g. simple force powers like Push, Pull, Jump, Speed, etc. that can be used out of combat to just show off and look cool.

It kinda feels like Bioware thought that everyone would want to be a Jedi Knight, so they put all of their effort into making the Jedi Knight class LESS fun. They should have just madethe other classes MORE fun.

In one quest I had to light signal fires - I pulled the torch out of thin air whenever I lit one.

That's crap - why aren't I using the Force to carry the torch behind me? That would be MUCH more immersive (helping me feel like a powerful Jedi!) and wouldn't interfere with normal gameplay or combat.

• 7 months later...
Agree with OP 100%. This makes me not even want to play my Jedi Guardian. I can see holding it like that while fighting, but literally running around with it like that all the time doesn't make any sense. It's just aesthetically displeaing to the eye. The Juggernaut holds his lightsaber much more fluidly when running around in combat. He does bring it up to do his strikes and whatnot so I don't understand the argument that the Guardian is holding it the 'right' way. Either way, the way the Guardian holds his lightsaber turns me off to the class which is quite sad as I do enjoy a few of the armor looks they wear.

Jedi Knights holds his ls just like samurai holds his katana

Sith Warrior fights like bravado barbarian without a proper stance

^^ this. in the martial systems I have studied (kendo, escrima) as well as the research I've done on others, a ready position with your weapon is never with the tip down. I drop my tip when im fighting someone I know im much better then....the the distance you have to travel when the tip is down is a life threatening choice when the fight is close (i.e. 2 equally skilled opponents....or an opponent you don't know).

so realistically...I'd have my guard up in a fight. two handed/one handed guard position is really relevant to the system. in escrima, it's 1 handed (though you often support with 2 hands, or 1handed assist) in kendo...2 hand primarily.

But this isn't reality. And in spite of my training, I like the sith moves better. the jedi motions are definitely flashy, but in real fights you rarely see swords spinning like Arnold whipped his around in Conan. most hits are direct and powerful...more like the sith approach. so realistically....a warrior would probably hold his weapon more like the Jedi when in guard (though I wouldn't run like that...id probably spear myself :p). But combat would probably look more like a siths motions...direct, heavy hits. unless your fencing i guess, but I've never swing my escrima stick like a fencer (though there are tons of similarities in teh systems) most my hits are full body, heavy slashes to the opponent.

I really see effective fighting within both sides, but neither is really an image of realistic fighting systems. So personally....I prefer the sith look. But thats mostly for cosmetic reasons.