Am I the only one NOT using Legacy?

DPCummerbund

I started playing right before 1.2. As with all game types where I have to make up a character, I make up a background story in my head of who they are, where they came from, why they do what they do, etc. It makes the game more fun, and it helps when making decisions.

Also, I made up different stories for each character, and most of them are NOT related. Some of them aren't force users, and giving them force-using powers would pretty much ruin the "story" I have made up for them.

So, I'm not interested in Legacy. My stupid little "map of the state of Ohio" at the top keeps pulsing at me. Is there a way to turn that off, other than creating a Legacy?

And am I the only person out there NOT using legacy?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I ignore the roleplaying elements of legacy, as they don't fit with the backgrounds I've developed for my characters. That said, the other perks can be kind of fun. There's no reason not to set a Legacy name, just hide it on all your characters, then use the stuff you can buy with Legacy levels. If nothing else, the ability to unlock the other playable races is worthwhile. Edited by split_light

I started playing right before 1.2. As with all game types where I have to make up a character, I make up a background story in my head of who they are, where they came from, why they do what they do, etc. It makes the game more fun, and it helps when making decisions.

Also, I made up different stories for each character, and most of them are NOT related. Some of them aren't force users, and giving them force-using powers would pretty much ruin the "story" I have made up for them.

So, I'm not interested in Legacy. My stupid little "map of the state of Ohio" at the top keeps pulsing at me. Is there a way to turn that off, other than creating a Legacy?

And am I the only person out there NOT using legacy?

I use the family tree and not all of my characters are force users, or even directly related. Click my legacy in my signature to see. ;)

There's some decent Renowned/Exalted legacy gear you might want to take advantage of, if nothing else.

For every 50 you also gain the class buff for that class on all other alts on the same faction and server - so if you max out a Sith Inquisitor your Bounty Hunter will gain Mark of Power on top of Hunter's Boon(?)

Edited by jgelling

You are not missing anything of note in legacy

but to get your thing to stop just create the legacy for one character then dont do anything else

it does give the name to all your characters though which is lame but you can set it to not show legacy

I just show the chacters 1st name even though I have 8 people in the legacy

Just create your legacy... you can turn off showing the name and such.

Once you make it, you can completely ignore it if you want... don't know why you would though... some nice perks you can get with it. But whatever, do what you want.

This^

And just use the "free" unlocks like the class buffs and the +PRE. :)

Not only can you hide it but you can adjust how it is shown, so it doesn't have to be

Johnny Smith

Jimmy Smith

Jenny Smith

It can be Johnny of the Smith legacy

In which case you can argue no familiar ties, just a similar vein that could be anything you want it to be.

I can turn of the name, but the abilites are still there, right?

For example, even if I turn on the name for only one toon, during Heroic moments my non-force users will still have the ability to force choke, my Jedi will still have the ability to Dirty Kick, right?

I can turn of the name, but the abilites are still there, right?

For example, even if I turn on the name for only one toon, during Heroic moments my non-force users will still have the ability to force choke, my Jedi will still have the ability to Dirty Kick, right?

So what.. don't keybind them or drag them onto the toolbar, just pretend they don't exist.

Just give the surname to the character you want to have the Legacy name and hide the legacy (or keep the legacy title) for all other characters.

On the legacy 'tree' you can just make them all varying allies/rivals of one another. They don't have to be related.

So what.. don't keybind them or drag them onto the toolbar, just pretend they don't exist.

Well, that's the inherent problem. There's a difference between someone who doesn't have a power and someone who has one but chooses not to use it.

It's not a gamebreaker for me, it's just really annoying. If I saw anything in Legacy that seemed like a really useful tool for me (i.e. shared storage for all my toons), I'd probably suck it up and do it. But for now, I just don't see that it would be worth it. I know lots of people managed to get their toons to level 50 before Legacy, I'm sure I can do it too.

OP, I'm like you and have stories for my characters. But honestly you don't even have to bother with the family tree thing. It's really just a way of earning more rewards for the time you have spent playing your characters. Like others said, once you make a legacy name you can hide it and never have to show it. There are three options on the Social tab of the Preferences.

Say your character name is Luke and your Legacy name is Skywalker, you can have it show as "Luke Skywalker" or "Luke" then underneath in smaller writing "The Skywalker Legacy" or just hide it and you'll just see "Luke"

And no it has no effect on the other legacy powers or perks.

There are many NON FORCE benefits to legacy, like travel times and mailboxes.

Why would you purposely skip those items if you have the money? They don't even fit into your character story. They are just quality of life benefits.

Your quest to not use legacy is misguided at best.

Why would you purposely skip those items if you have the money? They don't even fit into your character story. They are just quality of life benefits.

In a lot of MMOs you work for gear, for achievements, for reputation, for dominance.

In SWToR. You work for mailboxes and emotes.

I can see why the ever rampant star wars crowd is so happy and why the rest of the world is face palming.

Well, that's the inherent problem. There's a difference between someone who doesn't have a power and someone who has one but chooses not to use it.

It's not a gamebreaker for me, it's just really annoying. If I saw anything in Legacy that seemed like a really useful tool for me (i.e. shared storage for all my toons), I'd probably suck it up and do it. But for now, I just don't see that it would be worth it. I know lots of people managed to get their toons to level 50 before Legacy, I'm sure I can do it too.

with the whole skill thing you're just being thick headed. If you really need to hold on to your story so bad, just act like your non force using character doesn't know he has a connection to the force. Therefore has the ability to force choke people, but doesn't know about it.

Having the legacy skills in your skill book is one of the dumbest reasons not to pick up legacy.

In a lot of MMOs you work for gear, for achievements, for reputation, for dominance.

I can see why the ever rampant star wars crowd is so happy and why the rest of the world is face palming.

Hyperbole. You work for all those things in SWTOR too. But if you're so unhappy, then why are you still here? :rolleyes:

What?

The legacy system is a money sink with some quality of life benefits. What in the world are you getting on about?

Working for gear and "dominance" is the same as it is for all similar type MMOs. Join a group to tackle the hardest challenges and get the best gear.

Seriously? What were you getting at. The legacy system is just a system tied to your character so you can purchase some additional benefits.

As for gear and achievements, TOR is similar to all other games in the marketplace.

I left my legacy level 18 toons on another server before I had to manually reroll in order to salvage any respectable game play. Several legacy levels into that server it died a horrible death and I rerolled again this time on Fatman. The mechanism that was supposed to be fun, engaging and was to permeate throughout my toons lifetimes was rendered impotent by mere server populations. Aside from that the benefits are lackluster and extremely overpriced for anyone who did not take slicing in week 1 or take advantage of the dupe bug that popped up not long after.

Not to mention the total unbelievability in terms of a "family" sense - and that is saying something for sci fi video game. I guess it just doesnt appeal to me. Aside from the Chapter 2 class buff bonuses I dont see much of a benefit and even that is circumstantial.

When it comes to 1.3 ... I got a bad feeling about this.

My only real gripe with the Legacy system is that it assumes that you only want one surname for ALL your characters.

I'm another alt-monger with characters of different race. Kinda strains credibility to think they're all related, but the "Legacy Family Tree" menus do have the option to create "Rival" or "Ally" relationships among your characters.

just make all the republic characters allies of each other (since they are all republic), do the same for imperials, and make the imps/reps rivals of each other. You don't need them to all be husband/wife/kid/brother with each other. Thats how I'm doing my alien Jedi and human trooper.