Crew Skills and Items in Game Update 1.3

CourtneyWoods

All im saying is at the moment if you actually play it and take your time to try and actually craft this stuff at each level you will quickly give up after about level 25 trying to keep up with it, its simply too expensive to try and do it past then in regards material costs and there return rates from missions... in this example i had augment slots available but it was simply to much work to keep up with them and all the other gear.. if we are leveling its honestly easy to just get out there and just level...

This is part of my point from before: crafting in this game is super-expensive, the rare materials drop at ridiculously low intervals, and now if everything can be crit-crafted at a pretty nominal cost the entire crafting economy for gear doesn't make a lot of sense. I feel like Armormechs and Synthweavers aren't being taken into account, or the needs of an exchange-based economy, in these changes. Artificers already have it more difficult, but really crafting as a whole is getting nerfed each patch.

It seems like they're perfectly happy just running this game like a single-player RPG where people can grind and level their way through everything, and buy everything from NPCs or comm vendors. They should be doing more to encourage the ability to craft rare and unique items to encourage exchange between players. It wasn't perfect but making it so only crafters could produce augmented gear was much better for the game, and it helped justify things like artifact bracers and belts. Why are super-expensive, non-moddable purples even in the game anymore?

Now everything decent is soon to be moddable, everything is augmentable, and you don't have to trade with any other player in any way to do it all. (As of this post, now you don't even have to buy augment kits from crafters to augment gear - just go to droid C5-3R2 and pay 10k credits and augment to your heart's desire - honestly, even as a crafter I'd be tempted to do that given the hurdles of RE they described to produce an augment kit). How is that the sort of trade-based economy an MMO should have?

Edited by jgelling

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post, the itemization changes are some of the reasons why I'm really looking forward to 1.3! :)

However, I have to say that while the lowered mod removal costs is a small step in the right direction, it still falls way short.

Yes, this will make it slightly cheaper, but it still changes nothing. You will still have to pay hundreds of thousands of credits to change your look with end-game gear, and that is credits which many people don't have, especially us poor people who mainly play PVP instead of running dailies. This will mean that you will still not be able to experiment with different looks, you'll still pretty much have to make a decision on what to look like and then stick with that.

What I want an improved mod changing system to accomplish:

I want to be able to easily change the look of my gear without having to spend weeks or months getting the credits for it.

This both because I want to try out a different look, but also because I'd love to be able to wear special gear for special occasions. For example, while the social gear looks interesting I don't want to commit to wearing it all the time, but I think it would be awesome if I could for example switch into the the Containment Officer set if there's ever another Rakghoul outbreak or something similar.

How I think it would be possible to accomplish what I want:

Either you can:

- Significantly lower the costs of mod removal, from hundreds of thousands, to to less than one hundred thousand for an entire set with augments. This can either be a change which applies to everyone, or unlocked through legacy.

... however what I would prefer to see is either:

- Make it so that the first time you remove the mod you pay full price for it, but after that it's significantly cheaper.

... or:

- Revamp the way to calculate mod removals so that it takes into account not only the mod you are removing, but what mods are left in the gear. When emptying out a piece, removing the first mod is expensive, removing the second is significantly cheaper, and so on.

Choosing one of these last two options would mean that people who want to min-max their mods will still pay for removing a piece from the gear, but changing your appearance to experiment with different looks or wearing special gear for special occasions would be significantly cheaper.

Edited by Rassuro

With Adaptive Gear will Light armor wearers be able to equip Medium and Heavy gear and have it adapt to Light? It seems from all the discussion and notes that Light armor wearers are getting shafted with this Adaptive Gear. There are some great armor sets that Light Armor wearers would prefer to wear.

Now everything decent is soon to be moddable, everything is augmentable, and you don't have to trade with any other player in any way to do it all. (As of this post, now you don't even have to buy augment kits from crafters to augment gear - just go to droid C5-3R2 and pay 10k credits and augment to your heart's desire - honestly

I think you misunderstand how the Augment system works:

"What do I need to add an augment slot? How much does it cost?

Credits: A flat credit cost to add or upgrade an augment. Credit costs are still being tuned, but it will be less than 50k for the highest augment slot.

Augment Kit: An item produced by Armormechs, Synthweavers and Armstechs. Augment Kits require 10 Augment Slot Components of the appropriate MK-#. Components are acquired by Reverse Engineering any item that can be crit-crafted to add an augment slot. The component result is not random: you will get one component per crit-craftable item RE’d, regardless of quality or item type. The component is an addition to the current RE results, so it will not replace any of the materials you currently get from RE."

The way the question is posted and the answer is formulated, it is implied that you need both Credits AND an Augment Kit to add an augment slot to any gear. So you still have to trade with other players or buy your Augment Kits from the GTN to apply augment slots to your gear. It serves as both a credit sink and a drive for a trade-based economy.

Edited by Evilblaze

Now this is something i have wondered since pts xfer chars didnt have the augment slot on armour already there through crafting on them, IF a player crafts a peice of armour after 1.3 and it critically crafts an augment slot onto the armour as standard, does that also mean that we can then add an augment slot through kits aswell.

Im guessing the answer is no but with the perks to increase the chance of aug slotted crafting and the lack of aug crafted gear on pts has anyone actualy tried this ?

No, it doesn't work this way.

"How can you unlock an augment slot?

1. Critical craft an item. It will receive an augment slot matching the level of the item.

2. Add an augment slot to an item at a Modification Station.

You can also upgrade an augment slot to a higher MK-# at a Modification Station. "

When you crit craft gear after 1.3, it will already have an augment slot that matches the level of the item. If you then add an augment slot using a Modification Station, it will replace the current augment slot on the gear with the new (higher level) one.

I think you misunderstand how the Augment system works:

"What do I need to add an augment slot? How much does it cost?

Credits: A flat credit cost to add or upgrade an augment. Credit costs are still being tuned, but it will be less than 50k for the highest augment slot.

Augment Kit: An item produced by Armormechs, Synthweavers and Armstechs. Augment Kits require 10 Augment Slot Components of the appropriate MK-#. Components are acquired by Reverse Engineering any item that can be crit-crafted to add an augment slot. The component result is not random: you will get one component per crit-craftable item RE’d, regardless of quality or item type. The component is an addition to the current RE results, so it will not replace any of the materials you currently get from RE."

The way the question is posted and the answer is formulated, it is implied that you need both Credits AND an Augment Kit to add an augment slot to any gear. So you still have to trade with other players or buy your Augment Kits from the GTN to apply augment slots to your gear. It serves as both a credit sink and a drive for a trade-based economy.

Well, now, that would be interesting. I thought they were outlining (1) credits, (2) augment kit, etc. etc. for ways to augment.

If you need credits AND an augment kit, which is produced by reverse engineering other augmentable things, to whatever order of magnitude that sounds like a ginormous cluster... of complexity. I'd have to play around with it more... my friend told me augmenting was a PITA that wasn't worth the effort from his brief experience with 1.3 in the PTS, but I haven't been able to play with it with my chars as of yet. This post makes it sound like you can just buy an augment slot, at least from my first reading - but it's not at all clear.

I still say if this is the direction they're going non-moddable purples make no real sense at all and should be readjusted entirely, maybe make them all moddable with appropriate mods inserted and/or making exotic crafting materials about 10x easier to get. And they really shouldn't just let people buy augments without going through crafters - every craft needs to contribute something unique to the overall game economy.

But if it's credit AND an augment kit, while that would be fair to crafters, it all sounds so complex. I'd have to play with it personally to see. I feel like augments are undervalued while leveling now because of the existing difficulty to get them with only certain types of craftable gear - making the process too cumbersome isn't a huge improvement to that.

Edited by jgelling

I still say if this is the direction they're going non-moddable purples make no real sense at all and should be readjusted entirely

Non-moddable gear are nearly completely useless. What is the incentive to craft purple gear when they pale in comparison to orange modded gear? The only reason to craft non-moddable gear would be to RE them for augment components.

I feel like augments are undervalued while leveling now because of the existing difficulty to get them with only certain types of craftable gear - making the process too cumbersome isn't a huge improvement to that.

As stated by other posters in this thread, gearing your leveling alts with the current modding system is nowhere near cost effective. Why spend more time, credits and effort crafting or buying mods (from the GTN) for your alt every few levels than would be spent grinding your under geared alt through those levels and buying commendation mods or pre-modded gear at the end of every planet's quest chain?

In its current iteration there is a severe lack of incentive to utilise either the modding or augment system anywhere other than at max level.

Edited by Evilblaze

Even a 30% reduction is terrible. We shouldnt have to spend hundreds of thousands to change the look of our gear. We already earned other gear or bought it why should I have to pay again just to get the look I want. Most MMO have free or very cheap at most. They may have additional costs for rare colors but usually nothing to just change a item you already own. We cant even pick our own colors, we get locked into what our chest is only to match.

I truly think that this should have been addressed in 1.3 let alone the cost of having to buy an augment kit and payingto have an item augmented ( which i believe it is fair ), but on top of that we will stikl have to pay over 100k per piece to look the way we want.

Edited by tekhiun

Non-moddable gear are nearly completely useless. What is the incentive to craft purple gear when they pale in comparison to orange modded gear? The only reason to craft non-moddable gear would be to RE them for augment components.

As stated by other posters in this thread, gearing your leveling alts with the current modding system is nowhere near cost effective. Why spend more time, credits and effort crafting or buying mods (from the GTN) for your alt every few levels than would be spent grinding your under geared alt through those levels and buying commendation mods or pre-modded gear at the end of every planet's quest chain?

In its current iteration there is a severe lack of incentive to utilise either the modding or augment system anywhere other than at max level.

I'd feel much more comfortable if you were designing the modding systems in this game. I still feel like the developers are more interested in treating the game like a single player RPG where drops or comms should provide everything everyone needs to be perfectly happy.

In an MMO players should be interdependent, working together as much as possible, and trading as much as possible, and this game is lacking that. If your reading of this post is right, the augment system is about to get much more complicated (and totally whackadoodle crazy as it relates to purple gear) without necessarily making it easier or cheaper to actually get augmented gear.

If you're right, everyone should be equipping all moddable gear ASAP, and augmenting it provided the kits are cheap enough on their particular server, which will all depend on whether armormechs or synthweavers are wasting credits on RE'ing stuff for what, exactly? None of it makes much sense to me, compared to the current system, which is also a bit loony but at least a lot simpler.

Edited by jgelling

I'd feel much more comfortable if you were designing the modding systems in this game.

Ah, well, I can appreciate the difficulty of designing and balancing such a system. All the different elements that has to be taken into account so that everything fits together and makes sense can be quite overwhelming.

From the bottom up, the augment system makes sense (taking my own play style into account). Buying green recipes from the crafting trainers, crafting and then RE those items to get better quality recipes, and keep going until I have a full list of Artefact (purple) quality recipes. Why not just let each RE'ed item give me the components I need for an Augment kit, I'm doing it anyway?

From the top down... "What on earth were they thinking?!?". Why would I need Artefact quality item recipes when I can just mod the exact stats that I want into my gear? Why would I want to be limited to fixed stats and fixed looks purple gear when it can never compare to the flexibility and potential choice that orange moddable gear offers me?

I welcome the addition of the augment system, it does provide plenty of added customisation for stats on ALL equipable items. Is it a bit cumbersome in its current iteration? In my opinion, yes. Does it have a knock on effect for all non-moddable gear? In my opinion, most definitely. How can they sort this? I'm sure that our community as more than enough bright, level headed people to come up with a few decent suggestions. :jawa_tongue:

Two things need to happen in order for this patch to deliver:

- Mod extraction costs should be removed or reduced even further

- Any armor with set bonus attached to it should be exchangeable for an armor mod with the bonus attached to it.

That's it, the rest is good. As it stands right now I'm never going to bother grinding out social points for all the fancy gear since I can't really afford to use it...

Look at the war-hero gear, the set-bonus is attached to the armor-mod, i recall them saying that this is going to be implemented throughout all future sets of gear however the resources needed to reconstruct the current pre-1.2 sets is unfortunately too high when they could just be investing in new features.

Edited by Briseius

Regarding Mod Extraction & Legacy Perk costs ... Way to expensive! ... but then again i can understand EA not caring about player populous and simply see it as a marketing gimmick. (Make NEEDED features cost lots --> Customers spend more time acquiring the credits required --> Greater upkeep in subscription --> Profit) ...

Words cannot describe how broken i feel gross profits are! Corruption begins with taking more then you need.

Regarding Mod Extraction & Legacy Perk costs ... Way to expensive! ... but then again i can understand EA not caring about player populous and simply see it as a marketing gimmick. (Make NEEDED features cost lots --> Customers spend more time acquiring the credits required --> Greater upkeep in subscription --> Profit) ...

Words cannot describe how broken i feel gross profits are! Corruption begins with taking more then you need.

If you have read PTS patch notes, you would have seen that they are decreasing the price of extracting mods from gear, though in my opinion they are not lowering it enough.

Also......this from the article.....

Customization: We want to give players more control of their stats and appearance. We want players to be able to choose what gear they want, and avoid or eliminate cases where players are forced into specific choices due to arbitrary system rules

So BW, explain to me how not allowing set bonuses to transfer with Tionese/Columi/Rakata is allowing us to customize our appearance? Do you not realize that some people will never see Campaign gear because they cannot invest that much time and focus into the game? Pull your head out of your nether-regions and think a little bit about this. I am tired of my Assassin Tank looking like some kind of f'ed over Minotaur.....

Edited by BlownSi

Look at the war-hero gear, the set-bonus is attached to the armor-mod, i recall them saying that this is going to be implemented throughout all future sets of gear however the resources needed to reconstruct the current pre-1.2 sets is unfortunately too high when they could just be investing in new features.

Yeh thats great in maybe 6 months for the current players, but for the time being its literally useless as very few people have the campaign PVE gear or the war-hero PVP gear and all the other battlemaster/tionese/columi/rakata arent transferable. Its also useless for any new player/char that ever gets played until they get into the 2nd tier of gear.

The point of this patch (and 1.2 as well, but thats another issue) is to, as stated in the dev blog we're posting in the discussion from (and that numerous people have quoted) is to allow people to have control over what they wear without sacrificing stats. It would not be wasted resources in the slightest to allow this goal of theirs to actually become a reality. In its current state the vast majority of level 50 players cannot do what the point of this patch is. Customisation of appearance is one of the most important things they need to invest in, and so far they continue to fail patch after patch.

Even a 30% reduction is terrible. We shouldnt have to spend hundreds of thousands to change the look of our gear. We already earned other gear or bought it why should I have to pay again just to get the look I want. Most MMO have free or very cheap at most. They may have additional costs for rare colors but usually nothing to just change a item you already own. We cant even pick our own colors, we get locked into what our chest is only to match.

I don't disagree with you.

In general its great to see updates finally to crafting and items, even if its only just a step in the right direction. Cant wait till crafting gets a proper overhaul removing all of the out dated duplicate schems which where just dropped in to pad it out.

Just a small note on augments, with regards to below 49+ you say if your at 40 - 49 level you can only put in augments at that level, i think your seriously over estimating the amount of components which drop at those levels in say purple. I know as some who can craft everything for my example: leveling sage, it was often easy and faster to simply sit and grind from 30 - 40, than spend hours running missions, gathering components and crafting all the peices we need say 6 purple level 35 armouring mods take about 1hr30 min to finish, by which time im at the next level. thats not counting the mods, enhancments and ear peice and offhand i can do on my cybertech and artifice.

All im saying is at the moment if you actually play it and take your time to try and actually craft this stuff at each level you will quickly give up after about level 25 trying to keep up with it, its simply too expensive to try and do it past then in regards material costs and there return rates from missions... in this example i had augment slots available but it was simply to much work to keep up with them and all the other gear.. if we are leveling its honestly easy to just get out there and just level...

The whole system needs to be reworked to make it so that we have incentive to craft items at each level or at the very least remove gtn listing times and amount limits so that crafters can at least attempt to cover more bases so the leveling alt which has no way of crafting everything for himself even if hes 400 in all thats needed, can at least buy it, else youll just find everyones just looting greens and leveling, becuase the grind and just getting stuck into is quicker than any gear benifit you can craft or buy. Thus making your aditions to any thing beliow 49+ redundant and actually a hinderance.

Just my thoughts as someone who just leveled his 3 character to 50. Any augment which is below the stated MK level should still be allowed to be equiped.. thus when we upgraded to the next mark we dont nessarally need to buy or craft and new augment we can you the augment from the lvl below. Not perfect but would save us having to chuck away an augment and replace it with potentially nothing, as drop rates are pretty low and prices high as a result.

Raising very valid points;

1) Keeping up to date with normal gear is already time and effort consuming. The augment system will make it even more tedious. So much that most players might totally bypass it until 50.

2) The server consolidation helps, still the GTN isn't providing the needs of the players. If you don't craft your own stuff you actually have a hard time finding fitting gear, mods and so on.

3) Drops rates are indeed way to low. There should be a way to pay more and or send away companions a longer time and get high level drops.

Finally the augment system implementation is a bit too complex for nothing. Keep it simple sexy should have been the guideline.

All in all the augment system has been tailored for hard core gamer that have lots of credits and time to burn. Not sure it was that much a good choice at least during the leveling process. At cap level that's another story.

Edited by Deewe

It's too bad you didn't make all armor in the game adaptive. Give people the freedom of look, there is no reason whatsoever to have some adaptive armor but not others. You don't know the class from the equipment of someone who has adaptive armor on, so there is no reason for the rest of the armor being non-adaptive anymore.

Agreed. There are already too many Sages in Pilot gear, Smugglers in Sentinel Gear, and Guardians in trooper gear, just trying to confuse pvp opponents. You pretty much have to have your class icons on. Haven't thought this through entirely, but I wonder if we wouldn't be better off if gear had a "Knight or Companion" restriction (I hate that companions can't wear the class restricted gear!)

Some other thoughts:

Is anyone else planning to utterly not bother with any augments lower than MK6?

To those of you lamenting set bonuses: Just use an orange chest piece, you'll still get the 4 piece bonus. The chest is responsible for your look far more than any other piece. With hue to chest, it's all I really need. If you care about the customization of your gloves, etc. then a) I applaud your passion, b) I wish my monitor had resolution like yours, and c) you might be zoomed in too far ;)

Also, if you're really that hard core at raiding, do you really *need* those set bonuses? Is that the difference between a clear and a wipe (seriously, I'm asking).

It's a bummer that adaptive gear doesn't scale for durability, but those of you who wear medium armor and are complaining, I invite you to ask any Shadow/Assassin tanks how *they* like it.They've been wearing low durability armor the whole time and taking all your hits!!

Finally, credit sinks. Many of you are upset that everything costs too much. While it's frustrating, I wonder how many of you realize the implications of what you're asking. Reducing legacy, modding, respec and repairs to trivial amounts means everyone will be running around with millions of credits with nothing to spend it on. This means people can charge whatever they want on the GTN and people will pay it because they don't care. The result is that new players/characters are shut out of the market.

I find that I can do all the dailies on Ilum and Correllia in a very short time (~30 minutes each) and make plenty of money for respeccing, remodding, and repairs.

This whole system seems bloated and silly to me. You get to craft 10 items that you don't need to, your not leveling up after all, just to RE them to get components to craft something else? Why? That seems like an enormous waste of time and inventory space.

Say your logging of for the night and you set all you people to craft some random junk so you can RE in the morning.

You can craft what 25 items max? Then you get to log in and RE all that junk in your bags, with the cast time to RE that's about 5 min of just standing there clicking stuff in your bag, that sounds fun and exciting. Then you get to craft the thing you actually want to craft which takes more time. Any reason they couldn't just make the Augment kit take the resources of 10 combines and just take a really long time to craft so we can remove all these little steps.

And whats with the resources disparity between the classes arms-tech takes a lot more resources to craft items to RE then other classes might as well just have my sinthweaver make components for my arms tech?

Why do the devs resist appearance slots? They make all this good looking non moddible gear just to have us sell it to the NPC because we cannot mod it.

Ok I’ve read this thread enough and I can’t take it anymore.

The complaining is DISGUSTING… and quite frankly demonstrates many posters inability to read and see a benefit when it is coming.

Let me explain WHY the changes are GREAT with an example.

Let us say I want to make a critical crafted chest piece to wear and two to sell since I think they are cool looking. (Doesn’t matter which chest piece so don’t ask which one) I’ve got a max affection companion with a critical bonus. So I queue up 5 on her, 5 on another and 5 on a third. So I’ve got 15 cooking. Low and behold when I come back from lunch I’ve got 15 shining new pieces of gear in my inventory and 4 critical crafted. Oh happy day I’ve got 4 augmented items, one to wear and 3 to sell. Now what do I do with those other 11 pieces of crap since in most all cases orange gear with no augment slot is GARBAGE. I Reverse Engineer them!! Now I’ve got my 10 items needed and I make my augment kit. Now I can put that augment slot into my offhand that I didn’t have already plus some extra mats to start the cycle all over again.

Yes I’m being snarky but I find your lack of vision disturbing.

On a less snarky note I’ll agree I wouldn’t mind seeing a 50% reduction in mod removal costs.

And the best idea in this thread is to allow an adaptive armor kit to allow non social gear to become adaptive.

Would it be possible to get 1 clarification on the system - will there be any itemization changes to lower level (NON-hardmode/level 50) flashpoints (i.e. will willpower gear NOT drop when there isn't an inquisitor/consular? will sniper rifles drop when snipers are in the group and NOT operatives (and vice versa w/ blaster rifles)? and will certain items that are hard to obtain, like the Black Talon Juggernaut Body Armor and other orange zone drops, be easier to obtain/reworked to be provided by certain bosses within the flashpoint?)

Thanks, but we were sold a game that said it would be viable to spend our time doing what we want to (pve or pvp). That is simply not the case. I do not & will not do daily for cash runs. I should be able to support my toons from PVP & PVP alone.

(SCARCASAM FONT: now for a bit of the dramatic…:rolleyes:)

I DO NOT CONDONE CREDIT FARMING & I AM NOT A CREDIT FARMER

Also, while these changes are appreciated, they would never have been necessary if the Dev team had listened to very lengthy threads in beta requesting something that has become a mainstay in MMOs these days, an appearance tab. :confused:

I know a lot of hard work and man hours went into this process, it is just that the end result is less than the simple alternative.

The system you designed is clunky & overly complicated. There was no reason to re-invent the wheel and replace it with an octagon.

Edited by TOGFelix

The drop rates for these schematics needs to be looked at.

From my testing on the PTS, running grade 3 UT missions almost non-stop with 5 companions at max affection. I have gotten a total of 3 of the new schematics (1 med. boot (armor), 1 med. boot (synth) and 1 med. glove (synth)) out of 100+ UT missions.

Compaired to the drop rates of the custom (orange) weapons that were added to investigation and treasure hunting in 1.2, these new ones for UT seem very, very low.

If anything the weapon schematics drop to much. Running five companions with max (or close to) affections I average at least three a run. I already know all of them and putting`em up on the GTN is a waste of time cause there is always at least half a page or more of the schematics below listing price . I`ve already put one of each in the guild bank and it always pain me to vendor something like that.

Then you also have to consider cyber crafters with underworld trading which means more than enough schematics to go around which will outsupply the demand. Maybe there should be a medium drop rate or some way to tell the system that that character already knows it and there is no need to drop it for said character or at least let us reverse engineer the the product if it dosen`t sell.

TL;DR: The orange schematics should drop enough to be special but not to much to where it is worthless.

Edited by Jyzai

With Adaptive Gear will Light armor wearers be able to equip Medium and Heavy gear and have it adapt to Light? It seems from all the discussion and notes that Light armor wearers are getting shafted with this Adaptive Gear. There are some great armor sets that Light Armor wearers would prefer to wear.

You are asking if random (light,) medium, or heavy armor will be adaptive and the answer is no. Only those specific armor sets listed will be adaptive. As implemented on the PTS (1.3), the only gear being changed to adaptive is the gear available from social vendors. Currently all of this social gear is light armor so by changing to adaptive, it will become (almost) medium or heavy depending on the ability of the character wearing it.