The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can we, as a community, eliminate the "Grass" and "Snow" in Alderaan?

Bewoulff

Can we as a community... stop talking about this?

It's putting me into a mild depression every time I see this thread getting more responses. It's hard to believe that something as simple as left/right... east/west is being discussed. These are things we learn in like... kindergarten. It's sad to think that people from all around the world are having a heated and lengthy debate over what is basically a pre-school education.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simpler Solution: Learn and know all the phrases used in ACW; hell in all the WZs and become a better Player which in return helps your team become better, which allows for more skilled players to enter WZs. Also it helps to use INC # with your new found knowledge.

You know what they call a 1/4 pounder in France?

I mean really...

Anyway my take on this is as follows I had never heard anyone call east and west before I mean ever

Last night someone called west.

So I said its grass or snow

And I got help west

So I put him on ignore

Out of curiosity would any of you here that use snow/grass, give someone directions by saying 'take I95 Canada or I95 Florida'? How about I90 Pacific or I90 Atlantic?

I would be willing to bet that snow/grass was started by Imp teams because they are the one's that are upside down on the Alderaan map. I'm not even knocking it, I get it, I just find it amusing that people are so adamant that snow/grass is better.

Call it 'home side'/'far side' for all I care, I would still understand what someone is saying. Just like 'other door' in voidstar doesn't bother me, that usually means the lesser defended side. Just for the record it doesn't make a difference to me in game I'll respond to either. I personally use the 3 W, 1 E, 2 M type of calls for all the maps.

Edited by Ridickilis

Here's my question...

Everyone understands Grass/Snow within 2 games.

Not everyone understands East/West because some people are dumb.

So why call it East/West?

Not everybody gets Grass / Snow as fast as East / West.

Conversely, not everyone gets East / West as fast as Grass / Snow.

Some people don't get either of those as fast as Left / Right / Mid.

That's why.

LOL, seriously, reporting posts in THIS topic for not staying on topic?

How many times can we beat this poor dead horse before we realize it's not getting back up?

East / West is universally superior.

Grass / Snow is easier for visual learners.

Left / Right is the easiest to remember, but is relative.

They can all be used, and I highly doubt any one is going to be changing the way they call incs based upon what they read here.

I'll admit, I don't pay attention to that. I don't care which side has grass or snow. In fact, both have snow and both have grass. I say we go off of the already established and universally understood "north, south, east, west" directions. I can't tell you how many games of Alderaan or Voidstar I've played where people say "right" when if their screen is oriented north they are in fact "left". Or people say grass and I have no idea what they are talking about. The minimap is always oriented north, so this makes it the most accurate way to call directions.

Yep it's a bit annoying because since early access I've been on Lord Calypho and everyone on there said Left/Right or East/West and it was fine. Now had to move to Freedom Nadd (s....tee hee) nearly everyone keeps saying Snow/Grass and having just use East/West for months it's well confusing. Also, either chat is broken or a lot of people don't know how to use the Ops channel in warzones on Freedom Nadd, because I constantly fine the other team typing in General giving away all their tactics. Never happened on Lord Calypho so made me think chat might be busted.

Out of curiosity would any of you here that use snow/grass, give someone directions by saying 'take I95 Canada or I95 Florida'? How about I90 Pacific or I90 Atlantic?

I would be willing to bet that snow/grass was started by Imp teams because they are the one's that are upside down on the Alderaan map. I'm not even knocking it, I get it, I just find it amusing that people are so adamant that snow/grass is better.

Call it 'home side'/'far side' for all I care, I would still understand what someone is saying. Just like 'other door' in voidstar doesn't bother me, that usually means the lesser defended side. Just for the record it doesn't make a difference to me in game I'll respond to either. I personally use the 3 W, 1 E, 2 M type of calls for all the maps.

This is a good point but let me point out I95 North or I95 South are closer to directions than destinations. The nodes on Snow and Grass are destinations. You take I95 to get to your destination but it in itself is not a destination.

This example will show how both labels have some merit but why Grass and Snow wins out at the end using freeways as a reference.

I am Walt Disney's frozen head and I own Disneyland. I hire you to work at Disneyland and you, deprived of joy in your youth, have never been there. I give you directions there. Take I5 North, exit Katella West, etc.

After a week of employment, you still refer to your place of employment not as Disneyland, but as I5 North, exit Katella West, etc. which everyone finds odd because in the real world, we have names for places. Pacific Ocean. Not West Ocean of United States. Great Lakes. Not Series of Lakes North of Ohio. We as a species like giving names to places.

East is the direction to grass (?, not sure, no one refers to it as east), but the destination is known as Grass by everyone who PVP's regularly. And no, its not Crash Site in the same way Disneyland is not 1313 North Harbor Boulevard. Anyone on a populated server (not origin RP-PVP) will realize just how prevalent the use of Snow and Grass is.

Real gamers learn the maps and all it's landmarks. There's plenty of time before the round starts to orient yourself with the all objective points of each map ( there are only 3 maps for god's sake ). It shouldn't matter if a team-mate calls out "left / right" ( which everyone knows is based on spawn ), "snow / grass", or "east / west" if you know the map. Spare us the QQ and learn the map.

BW should have known to label all objective points with a letter or number to begin with, but nonetheless, winners adapt and conquer.

Question:

If a stranger stops and asks you for directions... do you tell them to go east out of the driveway. North on main st, and then west on 22nd ave?

I doubt it....

But what is very likely is that you would tell them to turn left at the McDonalds, right at the Wal-Mart and another right at the Denny's.

For most one is much more simple... and considering we play with a bunch of strangers that we automatically assume to be idiots.... wouldn't you use the safest and most reliable set of directions available? You can walk into any kindergarten class and they will know what grass and snow look like... I doubt any of those kids would be able to point west though.

You can walk into any kindergarten class and they will know what grass and snow look like... I doubt any of those kids would be able to point west though.

Probably not, but by third grade, if you give a child a mini-map, he can probably tell you that W(heaties) is to the left of the mini-map.

: )

Shaddap, that's how I learned my directions.

Edited by Varicite

Probably not, but by third grade, if you give a child a mini-map, he can probably tell you that W(heaties) is to the left of the mini-map.

: )

Shaddap, that's how I learned my directions.

LMAO! Never Eat Shredded Wheat! I forgot about that! That's how I learned it... And what's funnier than that is by 3rd grade most kids could probably read a mini map without any problems cuz they've been playing GTA IV and MW3. :D

Edited by UGLYMRJ

every time someone claims east and west change a kitten dies.

the side you stinky imps call 'snow' is in fact east. it's east if you're starting from the republic point (in the SOUTH) or the imperial point (NORTH)

it's always on the right side of the map too. the only problem with that is that's not right from the imp ship, so when you take the right speeder you end up on the 'left', on the WESTERN side of the map (what you call 'grass')

every time someone claims east and west change a kitten dies.

the side you stinky imps call 'snow' is in fact east. it's east if you're starting from the republic point (in the SOUTH) or the imperial point (NORTH)

it's always on the right side of the map too. the only problem with that is that's not right from the imp ship, so when you take the right speeder you end up on the 'left', on the WESTERN side of the map (what you call 'grass')

^^This

Except of the stinky part

grass & snow will never work for the majority. grass & snow are terms made up by the few. grass & snow are not references that should be used. the reasons for not using grass & snow have been said soooooooo many times in soooooooo many threads.

grass & snow will never work for the majority. grass & snow are terms made up by the few. grass & snow are not references that should be used. the reasons for not using grass & snow have been said soooooooo many times in soooooooo many threads.

None of this is true.

Grass/Snow work for the overwhelming majority of players on your server (Prophecy of Five). The highly rated teams (2000+) use snow/grass in voice chat as opposed to your east/west nonsense.

None of this is true.

Grass/Snow work for the overwhelming majority of players on your server (Prophecy of Five). The highly rated teams (2000+) use snow/grass in voice chat as opposed to your east/west nonsense.

Ok, let me give you a scenario... You are in mid. Since you are in the middle of Alderaan Civil War, you can not see snow or grass due to the walls surrounding the middle turret. Someone says or types "snow". How do you know which way is snow? If at any point in your thought process you think "snow = east" or "snow = right", then your argument for snow/grass being better than east/west or left/right has already failed.

Edited by Spuck

Ok, let me give you a scenario... You are in mid. Since you are in the middle of Alderaan Civil War, you can not see snow or grass due to the walls surrounding the middle turret. Someone says or types "snow". How do you know which way is snow? If at any point in your thought process you think "snow = east" or "snow = right", then your argument for snow/grass being better than east/west or left/right has already failed.

Failing and/or refusing to learn and understand all common phrases for land marks and directional location in a WZ/BG/PvP Environment is more of a failure then this entire thread. Plain and simple.

good, smart players do this association instantaneously. you have a moot point.

good players don't even look at the minimap to figure out which way snow/east is. They just know and when either snow or east is called, they go that way, without looking at minimap.

None of this is true.

and you know this because you have been listening on in all these voice chats?

and just because it 'works' for them... well... doesn't mean it makes any more sense.

obviously this talk is about non-permanent groups anyway, and not what works in absolute uber die-hard-if-we-lose-we-kill-ourselves-pvp-guilds, aka mostly non-ranked. (we don't talk about pug-ranked here)