So, How Many Names Did You Lose?

Thaed

I'm still shocked someone on the fatman already has my sorcerer's name, which is some super unknown band from Italy. I bet it's just either been a 'random word' or another word spelled wrong, too :(

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transferred 6 characters and lost 3 names. I was disappointed about losing my main's name, but it was expected. I got lucky and got in early on day one of early access to secure it.

But, to be honest...it's just a name. I'm much happier now that there are over 300 people on fleet and I don't have to wander around aimlessly looking for a group, or wait in the PvP queue for over an hour anymore. SWTOR is actually an MMO again. I'll trade a name for that any day.

Lost 3 of my 4 ( Havn't transfered the 4th )

Bit pissed off as they're names I use for most games I play and a large part of choosing my original server was so I could have them.

Not to mention the characters looks were designed to go with the names.

It just feels like i'm using someone elses characters now i've been forced to change them.

On the bright side though. My subs been cancelled since the abortion that was ME3s ending and I only have to put up with the new names untill it runs out.

In all honesty, i'm trying to work out why an archaic system of once a name's gone it's gone. Is even being used.

Other games manage without it just fine.

But then. Most of the things implimented in ToR so far have been retarded and halfarsed.

Take the new "You can use social clothing for armour so you can have the look you want."

Other games have the same function and it's nowhere near as rediculously complicated.

It's called a fecking appearance tab. One outfit for stats, one for looks. It's not fecking rocket science.

Edited by Reksat

I lost 7 out of 8 -- all normal/real-world names I've had since early access.

I was puzzled when the game launched as to why they didn't have a better system for managing character names that would allow multiple characters/players to use the same names; and I remain puzzled as to why they didn't implement one when the server moves/merges were introduced. It's one of those things that would have been trivial to implement before launch, but only becomes harder to add in as things progress.

Assuming that DWC transfers to Fatman like all the current East-PVP servers then I'm out of my main's and 2 other characters' names that I really liked. However I did just finish coming up with some new ones and saving them on the fatman. Have a couple good legacy names picked out too. So not the end of the world, but kinda sad to lose my main's name, I've had that name in games for years now, oh well at least I can play the game with other people soon

I lost one name.. and like most of the people in this thread, I am crying in my beer about it, organizing notes to recite to my psychiatrist, and contemplating a permanent solution involving a bath tub and a razor blade.

In all honesty, i'm trying to work out why an archaic system of once a name's gone it's gone. Is even being used.

As far as character names go, It's not.

If a name isn't able to be used for a character it is for one of two reasons. Either one, someone else's character on that server has it; or two, it's in the unusable list.

The fact that it works this way is fairly obvious given that as soon as you delete a character, its name is available for use.

Edited by Onyx

I attempted to plan ahead, and managed to secure my name on 13 of the EU English PvP Servers. The other 8 however the names were all taken and it appears that my transfer option is to one of the unlucky 8. I wonder if the person who has my name even plays anymore...

It's the only name I really wanted as well :(

Edited by SirLimbo

As far as character names go, It's not.

If a name isn't able to be used for a character it is for one of two reasons. Either one, someone else's character on that server has it; or two, it's in the unusable list.

The fact that it works this way is fairly obvious given that as soon as you delete a character, its name is available for use.

Eh. I know how it works. I was asking why they picked that method.

It only works that way because it was programmed that way.

Other games manage to let you have the same name as other people just fine. Just introduce a second name and Bobs your aunties live in lover.

Oh, they did that with the Legacy names and they still fecked it up.

Character name and Legacy name should make up wether a names unique or not. Not just character name.

Would people be happy if George Lucas suddenly turned around and decided that from now on. Han Solo was going to be called Pip Buttmunch.

No I didn't think so.

Edited by Reksat

Aaaaannnnnnd.

Now I find out that the seperate server I picked for my Empire characters in order to keep them seperated. IS NOW BEING TRANSFERED TO THE SAME SERVER AS MY FECKING REPUBLIC CHARACTERS.

Not

Happy

At

All.

Transferred 7 toons from The Swiftsure to The Bastion.

Kept all the names (especially my main, Denki).

Kept my Legacy name as well.

I believe it is a mixture of creativity, originality and luck. I feel for the salty people regarding their names, but I am sure you guys are creative enough to think of a much better, much suitable names for your toons.

Aaaaannnnnnd.

Now I find out that the seperate server I picked for my Empire characters in order to keep them seperated. IS NOW BEING TRANSFERED TO THE SAME SERVER AS MY FECKING REPUBLIC CHARACTERS.

Not

Happy

At

All.

why would you not be happy about that.. considering they can share alegacy tree. and they can transfer items.. having rep and imp on same server makes sense.. never mind that having rep and imp on same server is the ONLY .. cant stress that enough ONLY way to get the HK companion... i think you got off lucky and should be happy as hell

You're completely wrong. Well done for blaming Bioware for giving people what they wanted. The character transfers were an option. If one wanted to keep their name so bad, then they shouldn't have transfered. It's as simple as that. It's not inconsiderate, it's the truth. People need to grow up and learn to be appreciative.

/rant

Dude, have a bit of heart, many ppl have played their characters since from launch and made friends and reputation throughout their nick. How would you feel if someone else suddenly walked around with your name and you had to make a new name of your self.

We all appriciate the work they are doing for us now, but as many pointed out if bw had done their work properly the first time we wouldnt have ended up in this situation.

Also imagine the last server getting allowed to transfer to a server there already has been open up for many other servers. Their names will properly all also be taken aswell so getting back with your guildmembers isnt exactly easy :)

Edited by Steele_dk

Dude, have a bit of heart, many ppl have played their characters since from launch and made friends and reputation throughout their nick. How would you feel if someone else suddenly walked around with your name and you had to make a new name of your self.

We all appriciate the work they are doing for us now, but as many pointed out if bw had done their work properly the first time we wouldnt have ended up in this situation.

Also imagine the last server getting allowed to transfer to a server there already has been open up for many other servers. They names will properly all be taken aswell so getting back with your guildmembers isnt exactly easy :)

it might be hard to find yoru guild mates but honestly a quick post on whatever guild forum should sort that out.. a GOOD... guild leader will have thought of this and will have a way for people to contact him/her in order to get back in the guild.. sure it sucks but playing this game by yourself sucks more.. trust me ive seen the daily threads devoted to this game being single player for months now..

I just added the person to friends list who has the only character name I wanted, it's a level 16. So my level 50 loses his name to a level 16 who is likely never to play the game again?

It could very well be someone who just bought the game, an alt of an old-time player, someone who has a life and therefore not much time to play, etc. Isn't it a big arrogant to consider yourself more important than the other person, just because you're lvl 50 and they're lvl 16? (Or consider yourself more important than someone else, period, for that matter?)

It could very well be someone who just bought the game, an alt of an old-time player, someone who has a life and therefore not much time to play, etc. Isn't it a big arrogant to consider yourself more important than the other person, just because you're lvl 50 and they're lvl 16? (Or consider yourself more important than someone else, period, for that matter?)

consdiering peopel can get to level 50 in such a short time it isnt that big of an accomplishment to reach 50:P

I just added the person to friends list who has the only character name I wanted, it's a level 16. So my level 50 loses his name to a level 16 who is likely never to play the game again?

You should petition bioware to destory that characters Pfile ane perminately bind that name to your email account so no one can ever ever use it again.. I think that is perfectly fair and a completely rational thing to do...

some people are here since the start and aren't there yet.

some people dont play as much or hard as others.. some people can get to 50 in a week.. its not that huge of an accomplishment and surely not big enough to demand some level 16 give you a character name over..

why would you not be happy about that.. considering they can share alegacy tree. and they can transfer items.. having rep and imp on same server makes sense.. never mind that having rep and imp on same server is the ONLY .. cant stress that enough ONLY way to get the HK companion... i think you got off lucky and should be happy as hell

Not happy because...

A - I wasn't given a choice.

B - I wanted one of each lightside class on the same server and one of each Darkside class on the same server.

C - I Don't want to share Legacy.

D - Not arsed about transfering Items.

E - If I was arsed about getting a HK, THEN I would consider making a NEW character to enable getting it.

And before you say don't transfer. I'm not going to have much choice when I end up being the only one left on my original server.

So no i'm NOT fecking lucky. And no I'm NOT happy as hell.

Edited by Reksat