The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Transfered from a low pop server to a lower pop server...

ModernZombie

Wouldn't anyone active, ie: people you would be actually playing with anyway, transfer? I can't see any significant number of active players staying on a dead server that will be eventually closed. I think you just have to wait a couple days because a lot of people are not going to be the person BW expirements the server transfer with and will stay back to make sure it worked for a couple other people first. Also I don't think you can really get a legit idea of what a server is going to look like until at least prime time a couple days after the transfers happen.

Actually the way they are doing it is smart, they are only moving folks who are currently subscribed and active. This will allow them to populate the destination servers with people who are playing. If someone from a server doesnt transfer fine that just means now the new server will get folks from other servers who will move. I imagine that sometime down the road they will combine all the left overs and non active accounts to a couple servers which eventually will in turn have to be merged elsewhere.

It makes perfect sense to not pack a destination server with inactive accounts.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You are now already 200% wrong:

• Nadd's Sarcophagus to The Bastion

• The Crucible Pits to The Bastion

• Rakata Mind Prison to The Bastion

You can use this space for your apology: __________________________________

Source?

Not listed here or here.

As of 1103hrs EDT no change since yesterday.

Its reactionary because its been 6 months. My server died over 3 months ago. I know the population will grow and servers will eventually merge, but after so much waiting this is very anti-climactic. I truly believe if transfers would have been available months ago that many people who left would still be here. I, for one, would have never stopped playing.

Yes, exactly. I mean they should totally have started transfers when the server pops where still relatively healthy in order to prevent people from leaving the game and causing low populations for which these transfers are actually needed in the first place. Perfectly logical in a circular sense, absolutely.

I am still surprised they didn't merge 4-5 origin servers into 1 destination server. By doing a 1:1 ratio it almost looks like they don't fully understand just how dead some of the servers appear to us.

I don't understand how anyone with even a modicum of capacity for rational thought could come to the conclusion that they are doing 1:1 transfers. The sole purpose of these transfers is to increase the population on the servers. This cannot be achieved unless you either (1) move people off of a light server to a busy server; or (2) move people from several light servers to a single light server. So obviously, the only rational expectation is that this is what BioWare will be doing, not moving players 1:1 from light servers to light servers.

I don't understand mankind.

Edited by Kthx

It's amazing how everyone defends Bioware's mistakes again and again. They tell everyone to be patient, but we have been patient, for 6 months now. We were patient for Ranked WZ's, then it gets pulled, we were patient for LFG tool, patient for dual spec, patient for a competent dev team that know's what they hell they're doing. They are amateurs, make no mistake about it.

• Dev Post
Everyone, it's important to remember that we are not done announcing origin and destination servers. We'll be monitoring the process and adding more, and our goal is to have very healthy destination servers. In some cases, several origin servers will go to the same destination server, and we'll open more as necessary. We know you have been waiting for character transfers, but please do remember that this is a process!

I am still surprised they didn't merge 4-5 origin servers into 1 destination server. By doing a 1:1 ratio it almost looks like they don't fully understand just how dead some of the servers appear to us. I certainly hope they shift it to a 5:1 ratio or something by today/tomorrow.

Risky thing to do on day 1. If they named 5 they might have found that 4 would have been the correct number and the server is too full. The one thing they need to work out can only be done after the transfers go live i.e. How many people transfer, whether people resub and transfer and how many go back to playing multiple characters instead of sticking with a single character on another server because they can now do group content with characters they stopped playing.

I have been playing a bit on Jedi Covenant, I'm not going to keep playing that IA because its not max level and it was being played to run Heroics etc.

edit - Its day 2 and we have new origin servers moving to destinations announced yesterday.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

Just added to your first link...

EDIT: also, if you log into your account you can see which servers are available for transfer prior to those pages being updated.

Source?

Not listed here or here.

Edited by Xiij

Source?

Not listed here or here.

I don't know what to tell you: Clear your cache and refresh your browser? The three origin servers for The Bastion are clearly listed under your first link.

Edited by Kthx

It's amazing how everyone defends Bioware's mistakes again and again. They tell everyone to be patient, but we have been patient, for 6 months now. We were patient for Ranked WZ's, then it gets pulled, we were patient for LFG tool, patient for dual spec, patient for a competent dev team that know's what they hell they're doing. They are amateurs, make no mistake about it.

i wouldn't say amateurs, but damn near close.

funny, it seems few people believe this, COMMUNICATION alieviates the pain of patience.

if i just KNEW what the flock was going on with my character, and SOMEWHAT when, i could rest easier.

instead, i get to play information hunter.

I don't know what to tell you: Clear your cache and refresh your browser? The three origin servers for The Bastion are clearly listed under your first link.

Yeah ... updated finally. Stupid "work" computer... :eek:

It's amazing how everyone defends Bioware's mistakes again and again.

What is the mistake? The OP complained that BioWare is doing 1:1 transfers. I am not interested in defending BioWare: They are fully capable of defending themselves. I'm just pointing out the obvious that clearly they are not doing 1:1 tranfers as this makes no sense and there is no reason to rationally expect this. As shown by the update this morning, the OP was wrong. As was obvious from the beginning that he would be.

Edited by Kthx

I don't understand how anyone with even a modicum of capacity for rational thought could come to the conclusion that they are doing 1:1 transfers. The sole purpose of these transfers is to increase the population on the servers. This cannot be achieved unless you either (1) move people off of a light server to a busy server; or (2) move people from several light servers to a single light server. So obviously, the only rational expectation is that this is what BioWare will be doing, not moving players 1:1 from light servers to light servers.

I don't understand mankind.

You have to much faith in Bioware. You're specualting without any proof.

Why would they waste time moving a REALY low server to another REALLY low server?

Wall of Light, for example, is low but not REALY low. Many of us on WoL are hoping that we will be a Destination.

Edited by earthtoearl

What is the mistake? The OP complained that BioWare is doing 1:1 transfers. I am not interested in defending BioWare: They are fully capable of defending themselves. I'm just pointing out the obvious that clearly they are not doing 1:1 tranfers as this makes no sense and there is no reason to rationally expect this. As shown by the update this morning, the OP was wrong. As was obvious from the beginning that he would be.

Honestly, I hope Im wrong. I hope I log in next week to see a bustling server with thousands of players. I would be overjoyed! I am simply voicing my frustration on this process taking as long as it has. I understand that it is, in fact, a process. But that process should've been started months ago. Back when customers started begging for help for their doomed servers.

I appreciate the update from Bioware, lets keep those updates coming. We want to trust in BW but it takes communication to win us back.

You have to much faith in Bioware. You're specualting without any proof.

It's not speculation, it's a logical argument. If you see any problems with my logic, please point them out and I will respond.

Meanwhile, here is empirical proof that my logic was sound:

• Nadd's Sarcophagus to The Bastion

• The Crucible Pits to The Bastion

• Rakata Mind Prison to The Bastion

You guys are so hung up in your distrust of BioWare that you're no longer thinking coolly and rationally.

Edited by Kthx

Why would they waste time moving a REALY low server to another REALLY low server?

Wall of Light, for example, is low but not REALY low. Many of us on WoL are hoping that we will be a Destination.

Quite possibly, if we apply a bit of logic rather than imagining that what they've announced for these short first 2 days of transfers is ALL they'll ever do, because that will be a Destination server for many Origin servers?

i wouldn't say amateurs, but damn near close.

funny, it seems few people believe this, COMMUNICATION alieviates the pain of patience.

if i just KNEW what the flock was going on with my character, and SOMEWHAT when, i could rest easier.

instead, i get to play information hunter.

Communication works only with reasonable customers or it needs lots of patience and time to make some understand and some never understand.

It doesn't seem amateurish to me, they just choose how they want to communicate and they don't want to spend the time and money needed to make their angry customers that think with their guts instead of with their brains capable of hearing what they want to say.

Honestly, I hope Im wrong. I hope I log in next week to see a bustling server with thousands of players. I would be overjoyed! I am simply voicing my frustration on this process taking as long as it has. I understand that it is, in fact, a process. But that process should've been started months ago. Back when customers started begging for help for their doomed servers.

I appreciate the update from Bioware, lets keep those updates coming. We want to trust in BW but it takes communication to win us back.

Pretty sure it did start months ago. I'm reasonably certain server transfers isn't a simple issue of adding "/add server transfers" to the code that they decided to wait till yesterday to implement. Of course, people will always says, "Well that should have started months ago too". Can't win.

Edited by Claymaniac

So last night I transfered all of my characters off of my starting server Rakata Mind Prison. I was so excited to finally be able to have the opportunity to play with other people. To run flashpoints and pvp. I haven't logged in for a month because our server was so depressing and leveling my character on The Fatman felt like a chore after just completing 3 50's. When I said goodbye to RMP there were 32 people on the fleet. When I arrived on The Bastion at prime time, there were 3.

Sadly I am more disappointed than ever. As a lover of this game I just have no drive to play. I feel that Bioware really dropped the ball here with waiting so long to face the population problem. When I do play on The Fatman with my mid-30's Jugg I have a blast. But I feel like I have been forced to level yet another character because my server, like many others, was forgotten about.

Until 1.3 I see no reason to play. Until server populations even out I have no ambition to log in. This is very sad for me because I am choosing to not play a game I love. And I am choosing not to play because if I do force myself to play I will burn out and continue to be disappointed. I hope to log back in down the road and fall back in love with this game like I did with other MMO's after long periods away. But, I never had to do walk away so soon after launch.

Bioware, you need to listen to your fans. We love this game, but you are making a lot of amateur mistakes. This market is too saturated to not deliver on years old promises.

And look at that. They just announced 2 more servers transferring into The Bastion.

I want to know, for those of us who re-rolled and kept giving BW our money......We re-rolled believing transfers would allow us to consolidate our toons and we would be OK and not out nothing in the end. The way BW is currently doing transfers there is a good chance your other toons you spent time and effort in will be a complete waste. I want to know what exactly BW is going to do about that, because they told us transfers will be done the most advantageous way for us players and this just seems backwards and goes against that statement. I would have just un-subbed till transfers had I known that It would go down like this, definitely would have waited to redo my sub two days ago, I just feel kinda scammed by BW atm, not happy.:mad:

And look at that. They just announced 2 more servers transferring into The Bastion.

If you're implying this is in reaction to the OP, you are wrong. Clearly this was the plan from the beginning, since the alternative makes no sense.

you guys just don't get it, we got 3 whole years of voice acting to look forward to here, this game exudes accomplishment and no one has any reasonable objections to make unless they can pony up that kind of voice acting in rebuttal... just sayin, wake up and get with the program... there's MMOs and there's this game... no fools are gonna dismiss this masterpiece without at least 2 years voice acting...

This is my favorite post in the thread. If anything deserves the futuramafry.jpg, it's this post.

Edited by RocNessMonster