Opinions on the new Project animation?

Galbatorrix

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's insult to injury. It's been 7 months asking for the most simple thing that should have been there from day one; a mirrored ability. Instead they just make it look HORRIBLE without mirroring it. There is STILL a delay on the ability, you can't STILL end up with a rock hanging in the air, and you STILL can miss out on stopping someone on a cap.

So basically we got none of what we were asking for, but now have a horrible looking skill.

If this is true, then I will be quite disappointed when I get in game.

Really? Name one jedi that throws a rock in the 6 movies at a target... Name a jedi, other than Anakin doing a vader preview, that initiates throwing ANYTHING at a target in 6 movies (anakin does two throws in aotc, yoda throws BACK one car in rots)...Anakin has serious problems and isnt the jedi posterboy for anything. He is a whiny, selfish, fearful, murdering SOB with one foot in the darkside. Regardless, we see numerous jedi in 6 movies and none of them throw a rock, period. Well Luke throws one WITH HIS HAND. So yea, we agree that the ground conjuring is silly. But it is not just that it isnt Unique to jedi...It is PREVALENT with Sith...

Contrast this with the 4 sith we see in the movies. Vader, Dooku, Palpatine, and Maul. ALL OF THEM throw things at targets. ALL OF THEM. In fact they throw junk more than they use ANY other ranged attack. MORE than lightning, more than choke. In fact jedi use CHOKE as much as they initiate junk throws in the movies, IF YOU COUNT ANAKIN. (Luke chokes in rotj). So please if you are going to assert things about the ultimate canon in the movies, look at the numbers. No rocks for jedi. Sith throw things about 18+ times. Jedi 3, if you count anakin and you count yoda throwing something BACK. SO clearly, by the numbers, if someone is junk chunking, they are going to be a sith.

3. Not breaking the flow of combat with a stupidly long animation. I mean honestly, the current animation looks like something the Jedi do in the movies, and what have the Jedi ever done well in the movies, aside from get killed? I'd much rather fight like winning means something.

I hate the new Project. Sure, the old project was somewhat random - I always thought the junk that came up out of the ground should have been tied to the planet / location. For example, if you're on a rocky planet, it would make sense for rocks to come up out of the ground. Of course, pretty much anything can come up from the ground - a defunct astromech droid could very easily get buried. On a spaceship, it could be a chunk of decking. Whatever.

As to the lore - Jedi are certainly CAPABLE of moving objects with the Force. Yoda and Luke move all kinds of stuff around on Dagobah - it's pretty much all of Luke's training. Luke levitates C3PO. Levitating stuff is clearly important to the Jedi.

The only question is WHEN they use telekinesis. As Yoda says, "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack." Count Dooku and Yoda get into a big fight and "stalemate" over this, and Dooku announces that they'll have to settle their fight with lightsabers.

. If we were to get really picky about the lore, we'd have some defensive telekinetic moves, as a way of equalizing our battles with foes, and then basically force everyone (at least force users) into a lightsaber duel.

The inherent problem in this game, as Jedi in SWTOR, as our toons attack pretty much everything. Of course, you could say that our attacks are really to defend the Republic or some other objective - in the same sense that Luke's attack on the Death Star or Yoda & The Clones' attack on Geonosis was really a rescue of Annie & Obi-wan. If the lore was really consistent, neither of these things would have happened in the movies. So, I really don't have a problem with Project.

Since the devs ignored a lot of other solutions (and some of them were pretty good) in favor of this new animation, I have an idea for a NEW solution.

Give us the OLD project back. Many of us still like it better then the new, badly compromised one. I'm sure the old code is still lying around. Give Consulars BOTH projects, tied to the same cooldown. Thus, there would be no reason to use both skills, and everyone could just keybind the ability they liked. Nobody else gets buffed or nerfed, no balance issues, nothing changes except that everybody would be happier than they are right now.

That is a nice idea actually.

The new project clearly works better IMHO in a pvp match, but please can I have the old project back in PvE if I want it? I know it sounds silly, but project was the only spell which had any coolness factor to it (but not half as cool as the Sith lightnin), the new one is just boring.

In other words, don't nerf the fun stuff in the game because of pvp balance issues, find another way.

It's bad. They just had to make the damage instant and keep the old animation, but no.

Anyway, our opinion is meaningless for BW. We posted our opinions over and over on the testlive forum, and none of them were listened.

It's not. It's faster. It's not instant.

I don't really care about the animation as long as the end result is it hitting my target.

It is close to instant which is good enough for me. I would rather it actually hit my intended target instead of it dangling pathetically in the air when someone stealth's in front of me.

I think the animation looks ok. It is a lot quicker so it is fine with me.

Faster junk tossing is better than slower junk tossing...but no junk tossing, replaced with any number of cooler options already in the game would have been much better. The junk tossing is like a bad joke.

Edited by Dyvim

I understand the reasoning behind it, shorter travel time less graphical slowdown or the chance of such.

Frankly it was completely unwarranted, and is a non issue.

I can't say I've ever really had any major graphical slowdown in pvp, even when there's massive effects being chucked about, and certainly not to a degree it would warrant such action.

There are some effects that could be toned down a tad, like the force stun effect on force armour which used to be rather annoying and blinded the users view when it triggered etc.

And while I have a top end rig the Vid card is a mid range ATI, nothing uber.

I actually thought the animation had been broken on the test server when I tried it.

Please revert it, as is now you don't know the skills actually triggered correctly half the time, be it from hitting the key too early on a global cooldown to the animation playing so quickly you don't know if it actually triggered at all without looking at your toolbar.

Not good and unwaranted.

If ain't broke don't fix it.

Edited by Hawk-Firestorm

I don't think there is anything wrong with the new animation after playing around with it for a good chunk of time (about half of Voss). Initially it kept throwing me off because I got so used to watching it travel to the enemy that it was kind of jarring, but, it works and damages faster, which is very nice.

The only times when it was bothering me was when I was doing a couple of heroics, and my other group members (sentinels and a vanguard) were trying to burn down an enemy -- it was hard to tell when Project hit the enemy because they were attacking like crazy with their burns and what not (I like to see when and how often it crits, a nice check for me to see if I need to update or change my mods around)

Faster junk tossing is better than slower junk tossing...but no junk tossing, replaced with any number of cooler options already in the game would have been much better. The junk tossing is like a bad joke.

Please stop your crusade against junk tossing, as posted many times, throwing stuff around IS a Force ability used in combat. Saying it for a 100th time won't help anyone. I personally loved the old junk throwing as it is one of the most powerful looking abilities of the Consular. The act of lifting something up and tossing it away, combined with how it was animated, felt very strong. Despite it's short comings.

I'm glad one of the major differences between the mirror classes has also been fixed, but honestly, I would have hoped they changed it the other way around.. They should have added a delay/animation to the Sorcerer's shock instead of this change. This feels like a quick fix solution and reduces one of the cool Sage powers in this game in my opinion.

Does it really matter whether or not they throw rocks and other junk in the movies? I mean, it's a video game....

As many have stated in prior posts, a lot of us are fans of the original animation, we would just not like to have the apparent travel time. To me, it still never gets old watching the rock, droid, vase, etc coming out of the ground and flying to the enemy and watching the object stun and/or interrupt an attack.

A civil person with a point of view i agree with on a forum? I think I found a four leaf clover.... I like the new animiation and it is a game... so having a skill that you will use hundreds and thousands of time look a little different each time is nice to have instead of always seeing the same rock... fly the same way...every time.. Also getting rid of the delay before damage is clutch.

The new project animation is terrible. It doesnt look like a sage ability and it does not give us the feeling that we are doing anything. The old project had a perfect animation and it gave the feeling that the sage has the power to lift the object and throw it with his full power towards the enemy !!!

RETURN THE OLD PROJECT Animation !!!!

Change it back, give Shock some kind of charge-up animation.

That is a very good idea for the balancing of the 2 abilities. Give us the old Project and add the charging animation to the Shock ability!

I kind of like it, surely for those who are used to just stand in place and click buttons it doesnt look very good, but when i was doing a fast run of Taral, was throwing stones on the run and it looks COOL. I just run past things and with a lazy guesture hurl some stuff on them. It looks much more dynamic and much less avoidable.

The old project had a perfect animation and it gave the feeling that the sage has the power to lift the object and throw it with his full power towards the enemy !!!

More like berely lift it it and somehow float it in enemy's general direction. But it did look more like it looked in movies.

Still like the new one. ^^

I like the new animation and the randomness of how it comes out of the ground. It makes it seems like you were searching for a heavy object under the ground rather than there always being a burried droid under your feet.

And though it is not instant...it is almost instant which means no stealthing away while a rock hovered in the air.

Holy Fballs they need to revert this back to what it was. What i don't understand is why ruin a perfectly good spell where there were sooooo many other options.

1. Leave animation as is and just up the damage of the spell to compensate for the delay of it's damage.

2. Make the sorcerers animation non instant. Maybe have them "charge up" their hand before "tossing" a ball of lightning at their opponents.

3. Make the damage instant but leave the animation as it was.

This new graphic is just unacceptable, point blank PERIOD.

Edited by Twinbros

2. Make the sorcerers animation non instant. Maybe have them "charge up" their hand before "tossing" a ball of lightning at their opponents.

Sorcerers already have an ability that is charged up it's called "lightning strike."