Opinions on the new Project animation?

Galbatorrix

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Sages have a charge ability called disturbance whats your point?

I was just saying that you wanted Shock to be a charged ability, but one already exists, that is all. Also, it's pretty apparent that they aren't going to give us back the original animation.

Edited by JMarchini

My Consular used to feel like a Jedi and now he doesn't. He used to be fun to play and now he isn't. I'm really surprised that simply changing a combat animation has had such a dramatic impact, but there it is.

My lightsaber is not much better than a glowstick, chucking sand in peoples faces is a little pathetic, but ripping stuff out the ground and throwing it across the room used to be awesome. The old Project animation was the only Consular combat ability that had real visceral impact straight out of the movies, now it's totally insignificant.

Obsessing about the minutiae of game mechanics has turned an ability that used to be FUN into just another button to push, and that has to be a big mistake.

Edited by Lyrren

My Consular used to feel like a Jedi and now he doesn't. He used to be fun to play and now he isn't. I'm really surprised that simply changing a combat animation has had such a dramatic impact, but there it is.

My lightsaber is not much better than a glowstick, chucking sand in peoples faces is a little pathetic, but ripping stuff out the ground and throwing it across the room used to be awesome. The old Project animation was the only Consular combat ability that had real visceral impact straight out of the movies, now it's totally insignificant.

Obsessing about the minutiae of game mechanics has turned an ability that used to be FUN to into just another button to push, and that has to be a big mistake.

This.

I was just saying that you wanted Shock to be a charged ability, but one already exists, that is all. Also, it's pretty apparent that they aren't going to give us back the original animation, no matter how many threads that pop up, and instead of addressing our concerns about it, all they do is link to this thread whenever a new one pops up.

I disagree, they have been implementing things into the game at the players request for some time now.

Edited by Sireene
rude

There was just something appealing about having an old junked R2 unit get pulled out of the ground and hurled at someone - very cinema-esque. I was really shocked last night when I logged on my sage and my project wasn't doing anything I could notice. I also used to tell if my 2x item project proc'd , and now I can't tell in the mess that is PvP.

I know many other people have said it more eloquently than this, but the change in the project animation simply compels me to add my voice to this thread. To me, nothing had more visual impact and was cooler than the trademark consular project animation. Did I care about the damage per second numbers under the hood not being identical to the inquisitors? No. I cared that I could use the force to rip an object from the ground and hurl it toward an enemy. It made me happy every time I did it.

I know there are people out there who treat the game as a math problem. The "min-maxers" gather detailed data and analysis before they spend a single skill tree point. It probably bothered most of them that there was a slight difference in the damage output numbers of a consular and an inquisitor. There's nothing wrong with that approach the game, but there had to be a way to do something like delay the damage hit from the lightning (as if the person holds out a second or so after initially being hit) without messing with any of the awesome graphics of either class.

I've played many MMO's, and nerfs to numerical outcomes never phase me. It's about game balance. Nerfs to the coolness of the game, however, are unforgivable. Now, when I use what used to be my bread and butter ability, what I see makes me sad.

I know many other people have said it more eloquently than this, but the change in the project animation simply compels me to add my voice to this thread. To me, nothing had more visual impact and was cooler than the trademark consular project animation. Did I care about the damage per second numbers under the hood not being identical to the inquisitors? No. I cared that I could use the force to rip an object from the ground and hurl it toward an enemy. It made me happy every time I did it.

I know there are people out there who treat the game as a math problem. The "min-maxers" gather detailed data and analysis before they spend a single skill tree point. It probably bothered most of them that there was a slight difference in the damage output numbers of a consular and an inquisitor. There's nothing wrong with that approach the game, but there had to be a way to do something like delay the damage hit from the lightning (as if the person holds out a second or so after initially being hit) without messing with any of the awesome graphics of either class.

I've played many MMO's, and nerfs to numerical outcomes never phase me. It's about game balance. Nerfs to the coolness of the game, however, are unforgivable. Now, when I use what used to be my bread and butter ability, what I see makes me sad.

Agreed. It really is funny how such a small change can have such a large impact for a player. Personally my desire to continue playing the game has hit an all time now, I find myself playing other games now (league of Legends and Smite) because my main character is no longer worth playing. At this point in time I have no reason to renew my subscription, I'll let this current month play out, but until I get confirmation that the spell has its graphic reverted back to what it was I'm done with this game.

Obsessing about the minutiae of game mechanics has turned an ability that used to be FUN into just another button to push, and that has to be a big mistake.

Some people keep saying this...straight out of the movies...lol...really? For jedi...OR FOR SITH. Think about it. Name one time a jedi threw a rock at someone in six movies. Or pebblestorms. Or pulled something magically out of the ground...Anakin threw some droid parts, Yoda threw one car back at palpatine after palpatine threw 7+ at him..and yoda had a helluva activation timer...lol. Contrast this with Vader throwing a ton of junk (and I consider Anakin's a vader preview), Dooku throwing junk, Palpatine throwing junk...EVEN MAUL threw a piece of junk at a door control. So please, explain to me how junk tossing is soooooo jedi-like from the movies. You cant, because it isnt. NOW, on the Sith side, if you do a little counting, you will figure out that ALL the SITH use junk tossing, and they use it MORE than any other ranged attack. MORE THAN LIGHTNING. More than choke. I see junk tossed and it is about as clear it came from a sith as seeing a red lightsaber.

So think about your jedi movie assertions, and try to remember the differences between powers the sith use all the time and jedi use rarely, very rarely. Jedi ranged attacks in the movies and in most of the games, are ALL based off of force push, and its variants, just like they should be in this game, just like they were in kotor 1 and 2. THAT is what the movies show us. That is why junk tossing and pebblestorms as the signature skills for jedi in this game have ALWAYS been a bad joke and wildly inappropriate.

Agreed. It really is funny how such a small change can have such a large impact for a player. Personally my desire to continue playing the game has hit an all time now, I find myself playing other games now (league of Legends and Smite) because my main character is no longer worth playing. At this point in time I have no reason to renew my subscription, I'll let this current month play out, but until I get confirmation that the spell has its graphic reverted back to what it was I'm done with this game.

Again, I suggest you review the source material, starting with the movies. There has been thread after thread going way back into early beta from players that hated the junk tossing, and with good reason. THere is VERY little jedi about it. Same with the pebblestorms. The problem isnt that project was changed...it needed to be more responsive...the problem is that it wasnt changed ENOUGH. Toss the junk. Trash the junk. Scrap the junk.

Edited by Dyvim

I'm happy with the new animation because at least project now works as intended.

Huge difference in pvp !

I don't mind changing the animation later on if the effectiveness stays, but I really hope we won't go back to the previous one.

Some people keep saying this...straight out of the movies...lol...really? For jedi...OR FOR SITH. Think about it. Name one time a jedi threw a rock at someone in six movies. Or pebblestorms. Or pulled something magically out of the ground...Anakin threw some droid parts, Yoda threw one car back at palpatine after palpatine threw 7+ at him..and yoda had a helluva activation timer...lol. Contrast this with Vader throwing a ton of junk (and I consider Anakin's a vader preview), Dooku throwing junk, Palpatine throwing junk...EVEN MAUL threw a piece of junk at a door control. So please, explain to me how junk tossing is soooooo jedi-like from the movies. You cant, because it isnt. NOW, on the Sith side, if you do a little counting, you will figure out that ALL the SITH use junk tossing, and they use it MORE than any other ranged attack. MORE THAN LIGHTNING. More than choke. I see junk tossed and it is about as clear it came from a sith as seeing a red lightsaber.

So think about your jedi movie assertions, and try to remember the differences between powers the sith use all the time and jedi use rarely, very rarely. Jedi ranged attacks in the movies and in most of the games, are ALL based off of force push, and its variants, just like they should be in this game, just like they were in kotor 1 and 2. THAT is what the movies show us. That is why junk tossing and pebblestorms as the signature skills for jedi in this game have ALWAYS been a bad joke and wildly inappropriate.

Again, I suggest you review the source material, starting with the movies. There has been thread after thread going way back into early beta from players that hated the junk tossing, and with good reason. THere is VERY little jedi about it. Same with the pebblestorms. The problem isnt that project was changed...it needed to be more responsive...the problem is that it wasnt changed ENOUGH. Toss the junk. Trash the junk. Scrap the junk.

I don't think your obsession with the number of sith tossings vs jedi tossings has any relevance to this discussion.

Edited by Sireene
insulting

Actually you said it very eloquently, and thank you for saying it. Like you I have played many many MMOs (back to the original Everquest in 1999, yes I'm that old) and never before have I felt compelled to voice my objection to a change in the forums. I logged on to my Sage today and logged out after one fight, it was just too disheartening.

I really hope Bioware realise that they have made the game less than what it was.

Edited by Lyrren

Finally got to take my Shadow for a whirl last night in some WZs, and my verdict on the new Project animation is that IT'S AWESOME! I love it. It may not be instant, but it's fast and furious. Just what my Shadow needs. Excellent change!

Regarding the animation itself, I found it to be more than sufficient. Not sure what people are QQing about in this regard. Stuff comes out of the ground and hits opponents. Who cares what the stuff looks like as long as it hits the opposition fast.

The new animation looks good if you're playing as a shadow because you're in melee range- but it looks horrible if you're playing as a sage.

This was my take on it as well, having both a sage and a shadow. Most of the time my sage will only see numbers after hitting the project button. But my shadow will have a piece of debris come flying in from a random direction to clock whatever it is he is fighting. (It is growing on me.)

After having played SWTOR for about nine months now (including the weekend beta), this change to project will take some getting use to. But it is up in the air over if it is a permanent fix or not.

I very very very rarely post here. But this change has had such a negative impact that I feel the need to. I feel the old project fit the movie feeling and Star wars feeling very well. It was what made spamming pebbles as they say compete with lightening for the sorcerer. This has been gutted along with a good portion of love for my consular. I can live with the delay. Hell half the time I look at my cooldown bar to see if it even went off. Please for the love of all that is holy. Bring the Iconic feeling of project back.

I very very very rarely post here. But this change has had such a negative impact that I feel the need to. I feel the old project fit the movie feeling and Star wars feeling very well. It was what made spamming pebbles as they say compete with lightening for the sorcerer. This has been gutted along with a good portion of love for my consular. I can live with the delay. Hell half the time I look at my cooldown bar to see if it even went off. Please for the love of all that is holy. Bring the Iconic feeling of project back.

I'll ask it again, since people seem confused...

Some people keep saying this...straight out of the movies...lol...really? For jedi...OR FOR SITH. Think about it. Name one time a jedi threw a rock at someone in six movies. Or pebblestorms. Or pulled something magically out of the ground...Anakin threw some droid parts, Yoda threw one car back at palpatine after palpatine threw 7+ at him..and yoda had a helluva activation timer...lol. Contrast this with Vader throwing a ton of junk (and I consider Anakin's a vader preview), Dooku throwing junk, Palpatine throwing junk...EVEN MAUL threw a piece of junk at a door control. So please, explain to me how junk tossing is soooooo jedi-like from the movies. You cant, because it isnt.

NOW, on the Sith side, if you do a little counting, you will figure out that ALL the SITH use junk tossing, and they use it MORE than any other ranged attack. MORE THAN LIGHTNING. More than choke. I see junk tossed and it is about as clear it came from a sith as seeing a red lightsaber.

I am done with my Sage as soon as my I bring my other char up.. this animation is soo horrible I just cannot bare to play it anymore.

Tossing junk, rocks, and pebbles, magically conjured out of the ground or from thin air, has ALWAYS been horrible. People have hated them since they first saw them in beta, and there has been post after post asking for something other than comic relief junk tossing. Some people like it. People like what they like. But they do so contrary to the movies and most of the other official games we have been playing for decades. Jedi arent junk tossing and pebble throwers. Those ARE NOT signature jedi moves.

Edited by Dyvim