Opinions on the new Project animation?

Galbatorrix

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I very very very rarely post here. But this change has had such a negative impact that I feel the need to. I feel the old project fit the movie feeling and Star wars feeling very well. It was what made spamming pebbles as they say compete with lightening for the sorcerer. This has been gutted along with a good portion of love for my consular. I can live with the delay. Hell half the time I look at my cooldown bar to see if it even went off. Please for the love of all that is holy. Bring the Iconic feeling of project back.

Agreed. The old Project fit the Jedi a lot better then the new "random rock from the side". It kinda ruins the feel of a Jedi using the force and replaces it with "oh look a random rock from nowhere just happens to appear and hit the enemy that was standing a foot away from it."

the thing thing is project is what some of us think when u hear jedi/sith. let alone the ability was epic just the randomness of it made it even more cooler (lest 2 me anyway)

Uh, there is a big difference between jedi and sith. At least there should be, but this game has blurred that distinction a bit because of mirrors. Sith and jedi do the exact SAME things in this game, with just different skins. Problem is they made the Sith Inqs first. It shows. That problem is compounded by the INCREDIBLY poor animation choices the BW "b" team went with for jedi cons.

Sith throw things at people, alot. Jedi, not so much. Jedi do use telekinesis, but typically for other, more defensive applications. Telekinesis includes every thing from junk throwing to choke, to push, to rend, to saber throw to...well, its a long list. Many different applications...some signature sith skills, some neutral, some more seen with jedi. So, again, I would ask that you think about junk throwing in terms of jedi "feel". Name one time a jedi threw a rock at someone with the force in 6 movies. Or pebbles.

like 1 said be4 when i get my sage 2 lvl 50 im gonna make a sith sorcerer and make it my main cuse the 1 ability that made me feel epic is no longer epic

Welcome aboard. I did that with sorcerer and Sin way back in beta because the rocks, pebbles, and junk, and their magical conjuring, are far to ridiculous to stomache. I had to get away from it. Making jedi a joke is something I find deeply offensive.

Edited by Dyvim

Uh, there is a big difference between jedi and sith. At least there should be, but this game has blurred that distinction a bit because of mirrors. Sith and jedi do the exact SAME things in this game, with just different skins. Problem is they made the Sith Inqs first. It shows. That problem is compounded by the INCREDIBLY poor animation choices the BW "b" team went with for jedi cons.

Sith throw things at people, alot. Jedi, not so much. Jedi do use telekinesis, but typically for other, more defensive applications. Telekinesis includes every thing from junk throwing to choke, to push, to rend, to saber throw to...well, its a long list. Many different applications...some signature sith skills, some neutral, some more seen with jedi. So, again, I would ask that you think about junk throwing in terms of jedi "feel". Name one time a jedi threw a rock at someone with the force in 6 movies. Or pebbles.

Welcome aboard. I did that with sorcerer and Sin way back in beta because the rocks, pebbles, and junk, and their magical conjuring, are far to ridiculous to stomache. I had to get away from it. Making jedi a joke is something I find deeply offensive.

This isn't a discussion of if Jedi should be tossing "junk" using telekinesis, and there are more Star Wars references then just the movies. Clone Wars anime, the comic line all show "junk" being tossed so go protest those as well.

What this IS a discussion about is if they should keep the changes made to the animation of the spell Project or return its original animation. And from what I've read and heard in game, most people prefer the original version

Please bring back the old animation with delayed damage. The new one doesn't provide the visual feedback I like with a ranged attack and interferes with my ability to judge the global cooldown without looking at my bar. If you want to put it in line with the Shock power, just change the Shock animation and add a charge-up delay.

Alternatively, they could keep project as is, but add it to the inquisitors arsenal as well. People have been pointing it out as something that Sith used just as much as Jedi, so why not make it a power both can have? Give consulars a quick force attack, like Temple or Ashara have, and add project/force attack to wherever Shock was in the skill trees. If neccesary, give it a shared cooldown, so that people can use whichever they want, but not both.

This isn't a discussion of if Jedi should be tossing "junk" using telekinesis, and there are more Star Wars references then just the movies. Clone Wars anime, the comic line all show "junk" being tossed so go protest those as well.

What this IS a discussion about is if they should keep the changes made to the animation of the spell Project or return its original animation. And from what I've read and heard in game, most people prefer the original version

The title of the thread is Opinions on the new Project animation. My posts are perfectly in line with that topic. Try reading. A few people are saying that the old animation had a jedi and movie feel to it. I am pointing out that IN THE MOVIES the SITH are the JUNK TOSSERS by a HUGE margin. And, in fact, JUNK TOSSING, is a SITH signature skill that they use more than ANY OTHER RANGED ATTACK in six movies.

The delay shortening is an improvement. The junk tossing sucks with the new animation, just like it suxed with the old animation. Sith toss junk an order of magnitude more than jedi, who rarely do it. Sure, if you want to go to the EU, we can start talking about things like jedi shooting yellow or green lighting, too. Point is, when you are dealing with the SIGNATURE moves, like project and pebblestorm, you dont go against the ultimate canon of the movies OR even the two predecessors to this game, kotor 1 and 2, which had ALOT of skills in them. And guess what...no rocks and no pebbles.

Alternatively, they could keep project as is, but add it to the inquisitors arsenal as well. People have been pointing it out as something that Sith used just as much as Jedi, so why not make it a power both can have? Give consulars a quick force attack, like Temple or Ashara have, and add project/force attack to wherever Shock was in the skill trees. If neccesary, give it a shared cooldown, so that people can use whichever they want, but not both.

Very good idea. I have seen different versions of it. Problem with giving sith project is that it blurs faction lines. There isnt a problem giving jedi Force Burst or Force Tremor or Saber throw, because those are either companion skill animations, which you would never see in pvp or most fps/ops anyway, or are already used by players of both factions (saberthrow).

My suggestion was to make alternate animations for project/TK throw and shock/lighting combos. Tie them into legacy, and let the players choose, which would be REALLy cool when leveling an alt to get to pick different animations for skills that you have to see a million times. ANd for pete's sake let jedi get away from the rocks, pebbles and junk...they are pathetic.

But in the short term, very few people are happy with the current version of junk chunking...and the delay HAD to go. So get rid of it and replace it with something truly instant...like force burst, or saberthrow, or force tremor. And you cant add delay to shock, since the delay had to go, and you cant have damage tick before the rock hits, since that sets up all kinds of display problems. Its like building a whole new set of lag into the game. You die from nothing, then the rock hits your corpse. The mob you target drops dead, then the rock flies in and hits the corpse...ugh, how stupid. That would be terrible.

Edited by Dyvim

no its not u keep bringing up with sith's do and what jedi's, what they do in movies r two very different things, what every 1 else is saying is weather or not they like the new animations on project

no its not u keep bringing up with sith's do and what jedi's, what they do in movies r two very different things, what every 1 else is saying is weather or not they like the new animations on project

Really, I have to explain this? I dont like it. I dont like it because junk tossing, as implemented, with its magical out of the ground conjuring, is laughable. I dont like it because it conflicts with the basic lore of what sith do vs. what jedi do. I dont like it because in 6 movies, not one jedi throws a rock, and jedi use choke about as much as they throw junk of any kind, IF YOU COUNT ANAKIN, and I dont. He sux as a jedi.

Sorry for giving reasons and backing those reasons up with actual examples. Guess that was too much. Geesh.

Edited by Dyvim

but this is about the animation not if throwing junk is jedi or sith cause if that's the case jedi knights fit the movies 2 a tea the consular was never in the movies and if any 1 was throwing anything really it was lightning

I'm indifferent it really has not changed my feelings on the ability or the class at all. The rock or whatever it is depending on the caster's current environment, simply spawns closer to the opponent now. Big whoop.

Go on a starship or in a building and talk to me about the rocks...

but this is about the animation not if throwing junk is jedi or sith cause if that's the case jedi knights fit the movies 2 a tea the consular was never in the movies and if any 1 was throwing anything really it was lightning

Yoda was a consular, if anyone was. He used force push and saber throw. He reflected. He deflected. He was a jedi.

Edited by Dyvim

[quote name='Dyvim'] Delaying shock is even more ridiculous. The game does need balance across its mirrors, but it also needs balance across the other classes - inqs and cons arent the only classes in the game. Why should Inquisitors get delays added to an ability? How about all the other classes and their instacasts? [B] WHY SHOULDNT THEY GET DELAYS, TOO[/B]? Hopefully you can see the slippery slope and what a poor design choice that would be.[/QUOTE] They do. Missile Blast, Blade Storm, Quick Shot, Lacerate, Back Blast, Force Push - all of those skills, being "instant", have a short pre-animation. That's why I am a proponent of "slowing down" Shock. Right now, it's lightning-instant. Wouldn't hurt to have a 0.3-0.5 sec pre-animation, to bring it in line with the majority of other "instants".

The new project is horrible. I blame anyone who complained about the ability in the first place because of a slight difference in the mechanic between mirror classes. If you didn't like it, why didn't you just roll an inquisitor already and get over it. At least before the change project was a cool looking ability that felt right, maybe it didn't match the inquisitors lightning ability, but at least it was fun. Now it just sucks, and it has ruined the class for me.

Luckily there are plenty of other classes to play. Maybe I'll roll a sorcerer, at least their ability still looks and feels right.

Edited by strictnine

The new project is horrible. I blame anyone who complained about the ability in the first place because of a slight difference in the mechanic between mirror classes. If you didn't like it, why didn't you just roll an inquisitor already and get over it. At least before the change project was a cool looking ability that felt right, maybe it didn't match the inquisitors lightning ability, but at least it was fun. Now it just sucks, and it has ruined the class for me.

Luckily there are plenty of other classes to play. Maybe I'll roll a sorcerer, at least their ability still looks and feels right.

The old project was worse because it also had junk throwing and it had delay. Server side delay:

"Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer): Whenever you use an "instant" ability, the server receives and process that action without any animation dependency (read: instantly), but the impact VFX and flytext are synced to the attack animation on your client. This is done to make the game look good and give attacks a sense of weight and impact without affecting timing or balance.

There are some notable exceptions to this that are real delays and real discrepancies that we're aware of and are addressing. In the case of Shock and Project, there is a real delay (on the server) before Project deals its damage, and that's something we're fixing in 1.3. The other real delays that we're aware of are in Smash and Force Sweep, but we don't yet have a fix for those."

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-...e-update-1.3#h

Welcome to the sin/sorcerer classes. I have been there since beta because junk, rocks, and pebbles are completely ridiculous and have no business as the hallmarks and basis of the jedi class. Many many players have voiced their dissatisfaction with the junk, as far back in beta as I had access. EVERY SINGLE BUILD there were multiple threads about how ridiculous chunk a clunker and pebblestorm are. And yes JUNK SHOULD BE TRASHED. That is very appropriate. But we didnt just ask for change WE GAVE IDEAS, plenty of them, all viable, FOR CHANGE. None of them included more bastardized junk throwing:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=29235

50 pages. It was never just "this sux". It has ALWAYS been "this sux, here is why, here is how to fix it". FAR MORE CONSTRUCTIVE and INFORMED than the vast majority of posts in this thread. Most people in here seem to confuse sith with jedi and are oblivious to Peckenpaugh's post. If you are looking for someone to blame, look no further than BW, who came up with the original junk throwing and now the bastardized junk throwing. Both are wildly inappropriate. If you wanted to keep the junk tossing as is, given the MECHANICS of the game, you should have been asking for switching the animation to a skill with an ACTIVATION TIMER...like many people have suggested with the idea to switch out the animations for disturbance and project.

Edited by Dyvim

Dyvim : TLDR -- more importantly, don't care about the reasons.

I liked it the way it was and now I don't. Also, they did nothing about the "junk" tossing you are so unhappy about so

who really wins? Now we both hate it.

Good job!

Dyvim : TLDR -- more importantly, don't care about the reasons.

I liked it the way it was and now I don't. Also, they did nothing about the "junk" tossing you are so unhappy about so

who really wins? Now we both hate it.

Good job!

I cant be troubled with people that cant be troubled with reasons, facts, and dev posts...

GOOD JOB!!! Its better now than before...Ill take no delay junk over delayed junk...but the junk needs to go.

lol

Edited by Dyvim

I don't mind about lore. The movie are set 4K years in the future, and anakin is not really a jedi, since he only met yoda (for training) and never set foot in any jedi enclave (mostly because they were destroyed). While vader/anakin was a jedi for a long time, and I suppose he still use some jedi skills, even as a sith. Also, luke is trained to use telekinesis on stuff (his ship, rock, yoda....). From telekinesis to project, it's a little step to do.

While Revan in KOTOR, was Revan. He wasn't jedi, and he wasn't sith. Doesn't mean anything.

Since I've never been into the extended universe, maybe I miss something important, but that's my opinion.

Also, it's 4000years in the future. Time change.

Anyway, I always though project was fine, but pebblestorm is stupid. You can't really expect to kill someone with pebbles, or it's a long and painful agony. Something completely non-jedi.

Honestly, if they remove completely project for another force storm (there is already plenty of them), we'll loose something IMO.

I keep thinking they should have kept project the way it was, and makes dmg instant. Desync, yes, but I don't see any problem.

I cant be troubled with people that cant be troubled with reasons, facts, and dev posts...

GOOD JOB!!! Its better now than before...Ill take no delay junk over delayed junk...but the junk needs to go.

lol

Dyvim, It Doesn't Have to Ressemble the MOVIES. Get over it. The new animations looked worse, thats what we're all complaining about. They aren't going to change away from 'junk' throwing.

Edited by Ramahospitality