Class changes and balance in Game Update 1.3

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a good start imo - but it wouldnt address the fact they can still out dps even the next closest surge class by a substantial margin, whilst at the same time out dps'ing mercs/ sorcs / snipers in overall dps. If it wasn't for EC being so melee unfriendly you would ONLY have 4 maras as your dps.

Because most of the game is unfriendly to melee character, melee dps character have to do more sustained dps when melee is possible, otherwise you would just have only ranged dps. Seems so obvious I wonder why I have to write it.

Bro that's not even the point, the 115% armor is a huge nerf man. Right now a shadow tank can't even 1v1 a marauder anymore. much less hold 2 to 3 ppl. we just became the most horrible class in the game both pve and pvp. I honestly don't think they have any idea what their doing, it seems they are in panic mode because of in experiences players crying how "over powered shadows are" its bad enough in beta we were nerf really bad now this crap again is just bloody silly, i could have live with the less healing part but seriously 115% armor? just what is the point of even playing a shadow or an assassin or even playing at all? It takes skills to be a shadow and a assassin, far beyond the skills of easy class like 1 button spam for gunners. ( no offences) Now i found out they mess with the relics as well? this game just became a video game for 9 year old.

When I am using my powertech I am finding the same problem (it never used to be the case) with marauders / sentinels. Their abilities scale so well with equipment that this issue is only going to get worse.

They need to come up with something drastic and not just continue to buff / nerf / tweak classes as this always either makes one class lacking in PvE (perfect example sorcs).

Maybe change the ways in which problematic skiils work in PvP (foe example the marauders not being able to deal damage when using thier 99% damage mitigation skill). Or even adjust the amount by which expertise buffs your alibilites in a class by class basis.

This really needs to be applied to healers in pvp - they are 'built' to heal a boss who can dps 3k or so as well as flash heal ~10k or so and at the same time keeping the rest of the raid healed through splash damage.

When u face 1 or 2 players in pvp doing 1250 dps then there is no point even attacking them sometimes - they can just heal though this. Even the crazy surge on my pyrotech cannot kill even a poor healer without some help with stuns (2 wont do it I can tell you).

But they are about where they need to be for PvE - so what do u do? I would give all healers another pvp only skill that gives them some more utility (like power regen ala Mystic from Tera or the ability to further buff other players - like every other healer in every other MMO). At the same time reducing the amount by which they can heal themselves and other players. This would also help the one sidedness when faced with one team who doesnt have a healer and one that does.

That brings me on to my last point : When are we getting duel specs? That alone would sort a lot of the problems out in one sided PvP games (which is a massive, massive issue). Why this hasnt been released I will never know.

They seem to like making life harder for themselves by bringing out pointless and unpopular class 'updates' (rofl) and completely ignoring the thins the community has been calling for for months.

TLDR

PvE and PvP are not the same thing and the class buffs / nerfs do not work due to this. Need for a new way of managing imbalance.

Healers need less heals and more buffs in PvP

Where is duel spec?

Edited by nDjiin

OMG u dont nerf DoT and AoE Maraurders but Assassins get a very very big nerf what re u doing i hope you lost all players. This game is a suck evrybody leave it. Assassins get big armor reduction and half 50% heal reduction it s radical brutal changes and what positive thigs 50% threat bonus what can i do with threat in WZs nothing congrat, Assassins just get negative changes. Evrybody have to make Sith Wariors because they never get NERF they re always OP and they re evrywhere because thats the most popular profession. and of course if i want another charcter i have to leveling up one i cant change my prof i cant buy another one i have to make one and do the do the most boring things in the world, leveling. I cant belive it.:confused::mad::rak_02:

When I am using my powertech I am finding the same problem (it never used to be the case) with marauders / sentinels. Their abilities scale so well with equipment that this issue is only going to get worse.

They need to come up with something drastic and not just continue to buff / nerf / tweak classes as this always either makes one class lacking in PvE (perfect example sorcs).

Maybe change the ways in which problematic skiils work in PvP (foe example the marauders not being able to deal damage when using thier 99% damage mitigation skill). Or even adjust the amount by which expertise buffs your alibilites in a class by class basis.

This really needs to be applied to healers in pvp - they are 'built' to heal a boss who can dps 3k or so as well as flash heal ~10k or so and at the same time keeping the rest of the raid healed through splash damage.

When u face 1 or 2 players in pvp doing 1250 dps then there is no point even attacking them sometimes - they can just heal though this. Even the crazy surge on my pyrotech cannot kill even a poor healer without some help with stuns (2 wont do it I can tell you).

But they are about where they need to be for PvE - so what do u do? I would give all healers another pvp only skill that gives them some more utility (like power regen ala Mystic from Tera or the ability to further buff other players - like every other healer in every other MMO). At the same time reducing the amount by which they can heal themselves and other players. This would also help the one sidedness when faced with one team who doesnt have a healer and one that does.

That brings me on to my last point : When are we getting duel specs? That alone would sort a lot of the problems out in one sided PvP games (which is a massive, massive issue). Why this hasnt been released I will never know.

They seem to like making life harder for themselves by bringing out pointless and unpopular class 'updates' (rofl) and completely ignoring the thins the community has been calling for for months.

TLDR

PvE and PvP are not the same thing and the class buffs / nerfs do not work due to this. Need for a new way of managing imbalance.

Healers need less heals and more buffs in PvP

Where is duel spec?

Doesn't matter to me they lost my sub over this retarded crap, they honestly don't know what their doing its bad enough we got nerf hard in beta now they seal the deal for what "real pvperthey had'

Doesn't matter to me they lost my sub over this retarded crap, they honestly don't know what their doing its bad enough we got nerf hard in beta now they seal the deal for what "real pvperthey had'

You need to get other it if you know what i mean and stop moaning about that will get you NO were at the moment.

Senior Designer Austin Peckenpaugh lets us in on details around class changes and balance in Game Update 1.3.

Read More

Having looked at new changes of a class the mercenary I consider this "designer" not as the competent employee since it broke that that worked and пыется to show that and it is necessary.

Where spell interruption for Merc/Com?

With this fix you lose many Merc players, you took away our rockets because of which we chose this class. For now Mercs have the lowest RDPS in this game.

I understand you so love marauders and jugger that on the mercenary of forces at you doesn't suffice but it is not necessary to touch that as so works.

Having looked at new changes of a class the mercenary I consider this "designer" not as the competent employee since it broke that that worked and пыется to show that and it is necessary.

Where spell interruption for Merc/Com?

With this fix you lose many Merc players, you took away our rockets because of which we chose this class. For now Mercs have the lowest RDPS in this game.

I understand you so love marauders and jugger that on the mercenary of forces at you doesn't suffice but it is not necessary to touch that as so works.

They might add the back later on stop asking stuff that i have seen in this post before ok .

this is what happens when noobs complain about balance. I do agree with Marauders/Sentinels being strong but they can be easily countered if a player knows what he's doing. QQ MOAR PLEASE

Yes but they they can take power's away and add new one's if they wont to ok.

Without testing the assassin changes, I'm not sure if I'm angry or just getting defensive :rolleyes:

But what I am currently is exceedingly frustrated as a main tankassin for our guild,

Willpower is our main stat but plays no part in our survivability tree (Darkness)

Endurance is nothing more than a pool of hit points !

I can live with these changes, but seriously please, make our stats scale with the gear that we accumulate for being succesful raiders!

another suggestion = Adjust the proc of saber strike to harnessed darkness, and lower the CD on recklessness.

so we have more CD's to process in a combat

and please for the love of the Emperor, increase the number of shields on Dark ward for multiple mob fights.

OR make some of the skills SCALE with stats or .. for every 100 points of absorb, add another proc or

Something that scales with gear at higher levels

tanks have No reason now with better threat to stack willpower . .. none, nil, nada :rak_02:

So what do you think is up then.

What's up ??

is that I'll be able to draw aggro from everything in a galaxy wide sector, but in 2 mili seconds time

while I wait for 3 stacks of HD to proc and then get a cast of force lighting for my 8% heals ... I'll be knocked back and flattened by a gang of junior Lisk scouts ! :eek:

I'm happy to have a tanking rotation and work on it, and try and keep aggro and position myself and position the boss, and move around avoiding lighting spikes, and control adds, and avoid CC'ed stuff

All at the same time, but at least give me the capability to gear up in the right way.

Have you seen the rubbish stats on a full set of Black hole gear ??

no set bonuses

and it's ALL Defence and Shield, hardly any absorb ... it's like someone just threw some mods into our gear and said

"yeah, that looks pretty sh**, they'll wear it !" :rak_02:

there's nothing that makes sense about gearing and speccing for Assassin tank

it's possible .. but you need to RIP OUT all the original stuff and scrape together different mods to insert

/rant over sorry, gone off at a tangent here

What's up ??

is that I'll be able to draw aggro from everything in a galaxy wide sector, but in 2 mili seconds time

while I wait for 3 stacks of HD to proc and then get a cast of force lighting for my 8% heals ... I'll be knocked back and flattened by a gang of junior Lisk scouts ! :eek:

I'm happy to have a tanking rotation and work on it, and try and keep aggro and position myself and position the boss, and move around avoiding lighting spikes, and control adds, and avoid CC'ed stuff

All at the same time, but at least give me the capability to gear up in the right way.

Have you seen the rubbish stats on a full set of Black hole gear ??

no set bonuses

and it's ALL Defence and Shield, hardly any absorb ... it's like someone just threw some mods into our gear and said

"yeah, that looks pretty sh**, they'll wear it !" :rak_02:

there's nothing that makes sense about gearing and speccing for Assassin tank

it's possible .. but you need to RIP OUT all the original stuff and scrape together different mods to insert

/rant over sorry, gone off at a tangent here

Nothing i was just asking you so you do not need to ask me you need to say something nice and not horrible.

Assassins are actually the one class that has been receiving nerfs more than any other class and started out as a class that was weakest in their respective areas at the time of the nerfs (mostly killing their Hybrid specs as they were superior to their main specs).

This lead to a total rework of the Assassin Darkness tree with the addition of Wither and the self healing mechanic.

Now this has been deemed as above the '2%' respective target Bioware wants. After 5 Months of it being in and other specs and adjustments have been made to all classes during that time, I would like to know What made it suddenly a problem?

1) What is the Target level aimed at for the Change?

As the change in Dark Charge is a change in a 'multiple' effect its effects Multiply far beyond the target nerf group.

Tionese Wearers will find that there low armour from the 35% reduction is going to be huge, making tanking in Flashpoints frustrating with a huge decrease in survivability. Where as Higher level tanks such as in Blackhole/campaign will barely notice the difference other than multiple mob tanking where again this 35% reduction is multiplied by each of the trash mobs being tanked. This will make Lower level Assassin tanks as undesirable for tanking and therefore unable to gear up to the respective level required for tanking.

2) The Armour nerf is multiplied for each and every additional Mob being tanked

Not Only is this armour nerf a multiple of the Tanks base armour, every mob attacking the tank benefits from this reduction in mitigation. a 35% Difference is an increase in damage by 35% for every mob. 3 Mobs will mean the tank is taking the extra damage 3 times over.

3) Assassin Tanks rely on Armor Mitigation alot MORE than the other tanks

Base Armor on Each of the different types of tanks is respective of their Tanking itemisation where Juggernauts/Powertech and their Republic counterparts Have a higher Defence (avoidance) and their Armour is applied HALF as often as a Armor dependant tank such as the Shadow or Assassin that relies on the Mitigation of the armour. That in itself means more than the Tue Value of whether Assassins are wearing Heavy Armour or not

If a Juggernaut/Powertech is only hit 60% or 70% of the time due to high Defence rating. Heavy Armour only benefits when the tank is actually HIT.

An Assassin has much lower Defence and is hit 80% of the time meaning that the affects of armour on a Shadow/Assassin Tank is applied more often and that a reduction in current armour means that they will take more damage than the other two tanks because of this lack of avoidance almost Twice as often.

4) Multiple Mobs, multiply the damage reduction exponentially

Assassins Dark Ward has but 10 Charges and without it makes their mitigation from shielding Worse than other 'Heavy Armor' tanks that have a base shield mechanic and do not have to rely on charges or a resource that can diminish quickly in a multi mob situation. An additional 10% shielding over the other tanks for only 10 attacks every 12 seconds or have 10% less shielding diminishes its effectiveness on multi mob tanking. This Multiplies the amount of damage an Assassin TANK will take over the other tanks in amulti mob tanking situation.

Conclusion

ALL of this will inevitably render the tank as the WEAKEST and Last choice for Flashpoint and Operations groups.

I have no idea its effects in PVP I play only to RAID. But a Change to fix PVP that destroys the optimal viability of a class Spec is a BAD change. PVP will need to be adjusted some other way.

To balance the classes if the change in armour mitigation is to go ahead:

If the Armour Mitigation of an Assassin Tank is to have Heavy Armour, it should have equal affect to the other tanks.

Reduce the other tanks Avoidance/Abilities to the level of the Assassin. Or Increase the Assassins Avoidance to the level of the other tanks.

Shield mechanics should be equal across the board, they should not use a resource and be limited by charges or use. They should mirror identically the affects of all tanks.

The classes mitigate armour in completely different ways and the adjustments planned significantly decrease the affectiveness of the assassin tank to Well below a '2%' target below other tanks. It doesnt need to be play tested when mathematically and theoretically shouldn't balance with other tanks. Testing the current changes is affectively formalising the changes as working as intended and is not a true test of viability. Largely due to the target group of gear level being FAR and WIDE.

My Own personal Circumstances and Whine is in the Spoiler because Im sure people dont want to see it :)

But these changes could spell the end of the game for me. And there is no other game id rather play.

My guild has 4 tanks and down to 8 man raiding due to population. I am the only Assassin tank. I compete for every raid spot. I do not play Alts. My Guild is clearing Explosive Conflict Hard Mode in a single night of raiding. If my character becomes unviable in raid content at this level it destroys the entire game for me. I can no longer play the part of the game I enjoy without having to reroll to a new class I know nothing about, level to 50 and still not have the means to gear to the level the guild is currntly at. It means Bye bye to my friends I have to find a guild my gear level to gear up...etc etc Its just not worth the Monthly fee.

Assassins are actually the one class that has been receiving nerfs more than any other class and started out as a class that was weakest in their respective areas at the time of the nerfs (mostly killing their Hybrid specs as they were superior to their main specs).

This lead to a total rework of the Assassin Darkness tree with the addition of Wither and the self healing mechanic.

Now this has been deemed as above the '2%' respective target Bioware wants. After 5 Months of it being in and other specs and adjustments have been made to all classes during that time, I would like to know What made it suddenly a problem?

1) What is the Target level aimed at for the Change?

As the change in Dark Charge is a change in a 'multiple' effect its effects Multiply far beyond the target nerf group.

Tionese Wearers will find that there low armour from the 35% reduction is going to be huge, making tanking in Flashpoints frustrating with a huge decrease in survivability. Where as Higher level tanks such as in Blackhole/campaign will barely notice the difference other than multiple mob tanking where again this 35% reduction is multiplied by each of the trash mobs being tanked. This will make Lower level Assassin tanks as undesirable for tanking and therefore unable to gear up to the respective level required for tanking.

2) The Armour nerf is multiplied for each and every additional Mob being tanked

Not Only is this armour nerf a multiple of the Tanks base armour, every mob attacking the tank benefits from this reduction in mitigation. a 35% Difference is an increase in damage by 35% for every mob. 3 Mobs will mean the tank is taking the extra damage 3 times over.

3) Assassin Tanks rely on Armor Mitigation alot MORE than the other tanks

Base Armor on Each of the different types of tanks is respective of their Tanking itemisation where Juggernauts/Powertech and their Republic counterparts Have a higher Defence (avoidance) and their Armour is applied HALF as often as a Armor dependant tank such as the Shadow or Assassin that relies on the Mitigation of the armour. That in itself means more than the Tue Value of whether Assassins are wearing Heavy Armour or not

If a Juggernaut/Powertech is only hit 60% or 70% of the time due to high Defence rating. Heavy Armour only benefits when the tank is actually HIT.

An Assassin has much lower Defence and is hit 80% of the time meaning that the affects of armour on a Shadow/Assassin Tank is applied more often and that a reduction in current armour means that they will take more damage than the other two tanks because of this lack of avoidance almost Twice as often.

4) Multiple Mobs, multiply the damage reduction exponentially

Assassins Dark Ward has but 10 Charges and without it makes their mitigation from shielding Worse than other 'Heavy Armor' tanks that have a base shield mechanic and do not have to rely on charges or a resource that can diminish quickly in a multi mob situation. An additional 10% shielding over the other tanks for only 10 attacks every 12 seconds or have 10% less shielding diminishes its effectiveness on multi mob tanking. This Multiplies the amount of damage an Assassin TANK will take over the other tanks in amulti mob tanking situation.

Conclusion

ALL of this will inevitably render the tank as the WEAKEST and Last choice for Flashpoint and Operations groups.

I have no idea its effects in PVP I play only to RAID. But a Change to fix PVP that destroys the optimal viability of a class Spec is a BAD change. PVP will need to be adjusted some other way.

To balance the classes if the change in armour mitigation is to go ahead:

If the Armour Mitigation of an Assassin Tank is to have Heavy Armour, it should have equal affect to the other tanks.

Reduce the other tanks Avoidance/Abilities to the level of the Assassin. Or Increase the Assassins Avoidance to the level of the other tanks.

Shield mechanics should be equal across the board, they should not use a resource and be limited by charges or use. They should mirror identically the affects of all tanks.

The classes mitigate armour in completely different ways and the adjustments planned significantly decrease the affectiveness of the assassin tank to Well below a '2%' target below other tanks. It doesnt need to be play tested when mathematically and theoretically shouldn't balance with other tanks. Testing the current changes is affectively formalising the changes as working as intended and is not a true test of viability. Largely due to the target group of gear level being FAR and WIDE.

My Own personal Circumstances and Whine is in the Spoiler because Im sure people dont want to see it :)

But these changes could spell the end of the game for me. And there is no other game id rather play.

My guild has 4 tanks and down to 8 man raiding due to population. I am the only Assassin tank. I compete for every raid spot. I do not play Alts. My Guild is clearing Explosive Conflict Hard Mode in a single night of raiding. If my character becomes unviable in raid content at this level it destroys the entire game for me. I can no longer play the part of the game I enjoy without having to reroll to a new class I know nothing about, level to 50 and still not have the means to gear to the level the guild is currntly at. It means Bye bye to my friends I have to find a guild my gear level to gear up...etc etc Its just not worth the Monthly fee.

Hello i like what you put you know this you can put it in the http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349

Thank you.

So healing in this game still has to suck? Wow I guess I wont be changing back to a healing spec ever again. Once my main gets to 50 I will just move all the funds to an alt and just use him for crafting purposes. Healing in this game has never been fun like all the other mmo I have played. Its just too much work for so little pay off. The aoe heal that you do get at the top is flat out garbage and is not going to really save a group. I hope you guys go back to the drawing board and put some healer changes in 1.3.

I don't normally post on the forums but I felt this time there was a need to make my voice heard as im starting to see a pattern between every major update. The pattern is rather than take time to fix what is broken it is lets just swing a nerf bat and screw some class up.

To start, I play a Vanguard as my main and yet im compelled to post because looking at the changes I too feel sorry for Shadow Tanks. These changes according to past statements is done via mathematical equations and spreadsheets and no matter how you look at it, no amount of spreadsheets can tell the full story without actually playing the actual class in question. The Shadow nerf seems to be like a knee jerk reaction to PVP, and this is disappointing as no matter how hard you try you will never please everyone in PVP and your fighting a losing battle trying to balance what you cant. As long as there are winners and losers the losers will always whine about something.

I must admit im not a hardcore PVP fanatic but what this change does and previous changes are doing is taking away PVE diversity. Sometimes you will get Vanguards who prefer the dps spec and sometimes you get Shadows who prefer being a tank. So in certain groups you may get the role reversal and in other groups you might find that due to server numbers or lack of a certain class, guilds can make use of Shadow as a tank for a group when nothing else is available. As I said I don't play Shadow Tank, but even I can see that this change is way too extreme and basically ruining a class spec, just because someone with a fancy spreadsheet and mindset that light armour tanks shouldn't be main tanks is in charge of balancing and not taking the time out to garner feedback or test the class out. I feel it is wrong and with server populations the way they are, sometimes its not viable to get a raid team the way the developers envisioned and as such these type of changes not only hinder the game but hinder the community who has this diversity taken away.

And ive seen this pattern before in many games and feel if I sit here and accept the changes then next big patch its another class being ruined then rinse and repeat for every patch. The game isn't perfect and there is glaring issues with both pvp and pve yet alot of the issue's brought up either gets swept under the rug or feel like they are going in one ear and out the other. Vanguard has already been hit. Sage has been hit, Shadow is being hit, Commando has been hit.... when does PVP stop interfering with the PVE side of things. Have it so that the skills and stats are adjusted when your flagged for PVP and then revert back to PVE stats when your not flagged. That way you can make as many changes as you like for the PVP side without effecting PVE.

In a time where the game is witnessing a decrease in numbers and with other major mmo's coming out shortly, these type of unwarranted changes are only encouraging people to leave. If the object of this patch was to see how many more people you can get to unsubscribe then kudos as its working a treat. What's the point in having a group finder when there aren't any groups left on the servers any more as they have quit with disgust.

Edited by Scarran

Seems to me this patch is out to kill Tanks in PvP.

Guardian Tanks - 35% reduction on Hilt Strike damage and 22.5% -- 30% off Guardian slash.

Vanguard Tanks - Lost 30% surge and 16% crit bonus on Stock Strike/Explosive Surge.

Shadow Tanks - Self healing cut almost in half. Armor reduction.

Edited by ComeAndSee

Guardian Tanks - 35% reduction on Hilt Strike damage and 22.5% -- 30% off Guardian slash.

Vanguard Tanks - Lost 30% surge and 16% crit bonus on Stock Strike/Explosive Surge.

yep You are right!!!

ShadowTanks still can do PvP fairly well.. Because all the nerf whiners crying was about DPS output..

But considering PvE.. There is no more Tank spec in Shadow tree.. Yup, you can do 1-49 leveling fooling yourself that you are Tank.. but after you hit 50 you will see what a mistake you have done at level 10....

50lvl Shadow Tank is a some nonsense in 50lvl PvE content..

The truth is that swtor is not MMO.. it just «single play online game».. so you can enjoy the story while level to the 50vlv.. after 50lvl there is BIG nothing.. Thats why devs are trying to force people to start leveling Alts (go for 1-49 content..)

swtor is a great game.. this all dialogues.. level design.. that all was great.. Game Designers and artists who develop the «picture» have done great work..

And after they completed their work, the game was put in hands of marketing management guys.. Who are definatelly clueless what is MMO are.. So this bunch of straighminded employers just consequentially destroying the game since January.. They already lost half the subs (from 2mln at start to 1mln in June,2) .. A lot of people just not renew the sub after «free month»..

Even without this classdestroying nerf the game will hardly last till Xmass.. But now.. I dont believe it will survive the Summer..

Edited by Missandei