Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they would answer this question:

Me and many others have already given up on our server and re-rolled on The Fatman. However, my legacy levels on my original characters are much higher. I would like to know that if I already have a character on The Fatman, would I be allowed to transfer my other characters to The Fatman? I can understand not wanting to overload The Fatman with more people, but since I'm already playing there I'm not really adding to the population, just moving my other characters.

They have that's why there not responding but, I will save you the time of actually reading the dev blog.

"In order to ensure an optimal playing experience for every server, we’ll be offering direct transfers from one origin server to a pre-selected destination server. This means that the destination server will already be selected for the origin server. As mentioned in our blog post, all server types and languages will be respected. You will not find your PvE characters transferred to a PvP server, or vice versa.

Therefore, all guild members on the origin server will be eligible to transfer to the same destination server, ensuring that the guild has the opportunity to stay together.

Please note that we will not be dividing the population of an origin server onto multiple destination servers for this free character transfer process."

So as a part of the initial server transfer process you will not be able to move your other toons to fatman.

I don't need your permission, but thank you. Other than that, they pretty much stated that there will be no transfers for us in phase one. Can I post in big text NOW ?

Yes, they stated that there won't be any transfers in phase 1. They did that on purpose in order to retain control over the PVE, PVP, RP-PVE and RP-PVP server communities and not start mixing them up right away. They did NOT however, state that there would be no transfers for them in any way, shape or form, as what your first post had inferred.

I have 2 level 50 chars on a low pop server that are parked there because (like tonight less than 4 people on fleet). The server transfer restrictions inferred by BW make me uneasy as to how I will get them to the server I was forced to create my new lvl 50 tank.

I am uneasy also that BW seem to be unaware they have a major game problem here. Ostriches and sand?

I have 2 level 50 chars on a low pop server that are parked there because (like tonight less than 4 people on fleet). The server transfer restrictions inferred by BW make me uneasy as to how I will get them to the server I was forced to create my new lvl 50 tank.

I am uneasy also that BW seem to be unaware they have a major game problem here. Ostriches and sand?

No, just patience and wait for the paid transfers ;)

I like the only way you have stuff to say about other people comments that have anything at all to say that is possitive is calling them a fanboy. I also know we had this conversation once before about 40 or so pages ago.

1. Just because they are not doing it the way YOU want it doesn't mean it is all bad.

2. Everyone has a right to their opinion but, you don't have to repeat it with the same sequencial garbage over and over again. We get it you think EA/Bioware is ruining the game with the way they are handling transfers/mergers.

3. The decision has been made though so you can either hop on board with it or hop out. Either way transfers are going to start in two day's and all your negativiy over the last 100 pages isn't going to help anyone.

Thank you. Well said. :)

I can't wait, I hope all top Pre-Launch Servers are destinations ones... it's the way it should be anyway. Rewarding those that started the game out more or less while still resolving the population issues.

This is nothing but a good thing overall, if I have to change my Legacy & characters names so be it if I get to play the game I want to play with a healthy population.

So yah Bioware make Tarro Blood a destination server. K thx bye.

I can't wait, I hope all top Pre-Launch Servers are destinations ones... it's the way it should be anyway. Rewarding those that started the game out more or less while still resolving the population issues.

This is nothing but a good thing overall, if I have to change my Legacy & characters names so be it if I get to play the game I want to play with a healthy population.

So yah Bioware make Tarro Blood a destination server. K thx bye.

And if not, you will certainly be more than welcome to join the Vornskr community. We have ponies!

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

Fail. So much for choice.

Yea their phases are

1. Dead servers get Free Transfers to same server type pre defined only by us

2. Everyone Else .. gets to pay us to fix their unhappiness with the game

Everyone should be getting atleast 1 chance at a free transfer. Right now only certain people are and they've done LITTLE to dispell that fact.

Truth. We should get to choose what server we want to transfer to, regardless of type. First time free to please the few players left, after that they can charge for it.

Fail. So much for choice.

Truth. We should get to choose what server we want to transfer to, regardless of type. First time free to please the few players left, after that they can charge for it.

The reason they won't do that though, is because of the chaos that can (and likely would) ensue. People would simply flock to Fatman/Jedi Covenant and nowhere else, or, people would just hop around different servers, without looking at numbers, or making prior arrangements. This would result in guild being broken up, without a lot of pre-organization, as well as not actually solving the problem with server populations and still remain thinned out.

They're controlling how the transfers go in this first phase for a very good reason. To populate X # of servers to more desirable numbers, before they start opening up the free-for-all transfers (or Paid-For-All as it could be)

Fail would be to just open it up, you need traffic control here. Server populations are a mess, we should be happy they're taking educated steps to cleanly tidy things up.

Just doing what you're asking for would have everyone bailing on everyone in minutes. I know a my tight group of guildies on Tarro Blood would stick together but you'd be surprised how many would flake on you in a whim to hop on the latest and greatest.

It'd hurt way more than help. I'd like to think most understand that, and if they didn't realize it after reading some of the more reasonable posts in this thread.

FOR CHRSIT SAKE THEY'RE FINALLY FIXING POPULATIONS I'M NOTHING BUT THRILLED ABOUT THIS REGARDLESS.

I just read this thread. Please understand this is just my feedback and my intentions are to only help you. I have shared with you in the past that the need just needs to be fullfilled. Anytime you have to explain to a guest or customer the rules of your thought process 99% of the time it is going to go south. The tread is called Character Transfer but you explained server merges. I understand I am sure you have to report to owners, your team members, investors, and most of all and importantly your guests (us) who by the way pay for all your salaries. The wheel that drives all cars had not been reinvented since it was designed. Sure it has been improved but their is a reason why it is still a wheel. LFG cross-server is very succesful why are you try to reinvent the wheel. Character transfers are character transfers. The only reason I can see why you would limit to what servers is because you are indirectly sharing with us you want to do server merges but it would not send the right message to the owners, team, guest, and most of all investors. We are smart people and so are everyone I have mentioned. Stop trying to explain the why on your decisions and start listening to what is being shared and what has already been succesful in other MMO's. Time is everything. I shared last time on what would open your eyes on what you should do. It is very simple find the need which is LFG cross/server and character transfers not "Hi we we wish to merge servers by selecting a few servers you can go to" That is not character tranfers - that is subtely addressing the problem on your team. In the end you are losing subscriptions is it really worth this theory you wish to try to kill 2 birds with one stone? Team members future and your guest experiences are on the line. Thank you

I have to say, because of this post it made me decide to figure out a way to enjoy the game more and not wait until the devs did something for me. So I rolled a toon on another more populated server. I couldn't be happier. Nevermind that I have 2 level 50's on one server and a few low levels toons I was going to start working on more, I can still play around with them when I have the need. But the problem is on the server I was on it was hard to find groups even in a guild of over 150 people. I have good gear on those toons, not Ops gear, but gear that could get me to where I needed to be.

Now, I've rolled a new toon on a new server and I couldn't be happier. More people to play with and I even had someone else finish up Coruscant with me. Haven't seen that since December. My point is, it would be nice if we could get a group of people together willing to go to another server just to populate those servers more. Hardest thing would be leaving our mains behind since that's who we built everything up with. But for the sake of gameplay this would be a step in the right direction.

Once your transfer starts we estimate it will complete in a few hours, but with the potential volume of transfers occurring, you may find your character is queued for transfer for a while as we deal with the high volume.

We won't be able to play our character while it is queued for transfer. Is this correct? How long is a few hours compared to if there is a high volume of characters being transferred? Days?

Should I roll another alt during this time? :jawa_tongue:

Edited by Ranid

We won't be able to play our character while it is queued for transfer. Is this correct? How long is a few hours compared to if there is a high volume of characters being transferred? Days?

Spend that time rolilng on the PTS!

If you have only 1 character the solution is to start the transfer when you are about to log off for a while (e.g. overnight). If you have more than one then transfer them one at a time letting each move complete before you start the next one.

We wont be all starting our transfers on the 12th, they have said they will start with a few of the servers and keep announcing transfers as the process continues. This will help keep the delays down.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

What about those of us on Lord Calypho? It's the only Rp-PvP English server in the EU. Does this mean we wont get one? Primetime is not even 20 people on the Imperial Fleet. I only have 1 level 50 there though, however it would be nice to be able to play some merc pvp again.

If you have only 1 character the solution is to start the transfer when you are about to log off for a while (e.g. overnight). If you have more than one then transfer them one at a time letting each move complete before you start the next one.

We wont be all starting our transfers on the 12th, they have said they will start with a few of the servers and keep announcing transfers as the process continues. This will help keep the delays down.

Dang, I had hoped I could start the transfer on the 12th that way while I am out of town this week they could be moved and would be ready for when I got back.

What about those of us on Lord Calypho? It's the only Rp-PvP English server in the EU. Does this mean we wont get one? Primetime is not even 20 people on the Imperial Fleet. I only have 1 level 50 there though, however it would be nice to be able to play some merc pvp again.

If you do get one it will likely be to merge each of the EU RP-PVP servers. Which in my opinion won't be any better for you all than it is now. The reason I say it won't be much better is cause instead of only one language your having to contend with 3 when trying to get group for Heroics and Flashpoints. And not all of the French and German folks will speak English.

Edited by APhantasm

Even if you ask your transfer overnight i doubt it will be complete when you wake up, many people will think of this and i dont think bioware staff will be awake overnight to complete all the transfers.

so my guess is just to chill out of SWTOR for a while, it's worth it anyway

fml so I am screwed, first started up on a pvp server, and solo leveled and played all the way to 50. When I got bored of playing with myself I re-rolled on an RP server(not my idea) to play with a friend and my bro. Now I find out when it comes time for free transfer I will be left choosing two different servers. I will not be capable of uniting my 50s and of course other characters.

maybe I will have to see if these pandas are as bad as we assume they will be :(, why is finding a good MMO such a pain staking process

Edited by sithheroes