Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

I re-rolled on fatman in March, ive then since lvl'd 3 toons and established myself with the community, prior to release there were 2 groups of people i knew from a previous game, 1 group of us were placed on Wots and the other Fatman, upon WOTS dying i decided to join the rest of my friends on fatman.

Here's what im saying, by moving my old toons to fatman where i am actively playing (and with more than one guild ) will not increase the population anymore than it already is, forcing me to move my toons to another server is not the answer to balance the population on fatman, because i would rather stay there than go elsewhere.

I too have established myself on fatman I have 2 characters in the mid 30s im looking to bring my 50's from my dead server to the fatman as Scotland said getting those characters transferred wouldnt take up any more space cause im active on that server Already. so plez bioware dont leave the players that re-rolled on another server (cause of ur mistake at launch by opening too many servers) without there main characters and legacy.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is obviously overdue and nice, but it still isn't enough. I understand the limited servers from and to, in the beginning. After that, they still need to allow free transfers, at least for anyone who is already a paying customer now. I have 3 characters on 3 servers (levels 50, 49 and 35). Each time it was because a personal friend was playing on that server. Then they quit playing due to all the issues. So I found out that someone else I knew played and created a character there.

I really want all of my characters on the same server, and I want it to be free. That is not too much to ask. I can wait for the initial process to end, but it still has to be free. I wouldn't have used different servers if my friends didn't stop playing. They wouldn't have stopped playing if the servers were full.

A compromise I can make is to guarantee that I would play for X more months if they make ALL of the transfers free. At least for founders or something.

Absolutely incorrect.

Try learning to read. I posted word for word earlier the exact section.

We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer. Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee. While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service, we are committed to making improvements to the Character Transfer Service over time to provide players with a great gameplay experience. Stay tuned to http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com for more details!

Try learning to Read. There is only 1 Phase.

Edited by Kindara

How many phases do i have to slog through before I am on a Heavy/full server?

Wait, let me guess: the phase that I have to pay for.

That sounds right, unless all of the servers aren't Heavy/full by then.

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

There is only one west coast rp-pvp so either we get screwed and get the option to move to an east coast server or the easterners have to transfer to us. Wouldn't it be better to allow west coast pvp servers come to us or let us go to them?

So basically a portion of your comunity is getting screwed? Some of us want to change server types since population but also play styles of a current server type may not fit us. Thanks.

I really like this game but i'm not willing to lean over and take a beaten because your company can't get its crap together with transfers / mergers in a timely fashion and only seem to care about one part of the larger problem.

FREE TRANSFERS FOR ALL!

^^ COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!!!!! all serious players that were tired of waiting 3-4+ hours for a pvp queue that re-rolled on the fatman. will be getting shafted and shafted hard.

Where did it ever say in the announcements or by a community rep that there are more free server transfer phases after this one?

Where did it ever say in the announcements or by a community rep that there aren't more free server transfer phases after this one, or that more servers wouldn't be opened/made available/slated as origin to those servers during the free phase?

Nowhere.

That's what makes the statement absolutely incorrect.

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

Since theres only 3 rpvp servers, wont the RPVP "mega server" end up being very small compared to the ones built out of many normal servers?

Try learning to read. I posted word for word earlier the exact section.

We understand that some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. We still believe that you will enjoy playing on a higher population server and hope you'll take advantage of the service, but you won't be forced to transfer. Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee. While we do not have a scheduled time frame for the launch of such a service, we are committed to making improvements to the Character Transfer Service over time to provide players with a great gameplay experience. Stay tuned to http://www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com for more details!

Try learning to Read. There is only 1 Phase.

I guess you're going to have to highlight for me where they said "There is only 1 Phase". :rolleyes:

Absolutely incorrect.

No, not really.

I was the one that asked the question yesterday that returned the read-between-the-lines response from Allison that said, "this is the first phase, oh and we may do something in the future (that's paid)" response. I phrased my question intentionally asking about my thought that paid transfers being the next step . . .in so many words.

Your interpretation is no more "correct" than mine or others right now.

I understand you enjoy the game, and appreciate your attempt to police the thread away from too much wild speculation. However, we're all trying to get more information here; I'd rather not have to wade in and argue amongst ourselves in the process. :)

Official Quotes

"Initially we considered allowing players to transfer to any server they wished, or to a variety of different servers. However, on a massive scale, this free-for-all approach causes potential problems..."

AND potential solutions such as Guilds staying together, Friends being able to stay together.

"...some of you may be looking to consolidate characters from a variety of origin servers onto one server, and others may be anxious to move to a specific server to be with friends. With the restrictions of this initial service, that may not be possible. "

Having thousands of players not be able to stick with their friends or their guild is a HUGE problem that this causes. IMO friends staying together and Guilds staying together should be PRIORITY.

:csw_falcon:

I guess you're going to have to highlight for me where they said "There is only 1 Phase". :rolleyes:

I put it in Bold.

Not sure why you're unable to read "future & Pay fee" possibilities. Of course they are very good at being deceptive and purposely inconsistant within their own postings. But Future and Pay Fee pretty much says only phase.

To be honest im tried of reiterationg myself to someone who is incapable of reading because their eyes are firmly glued to the dev's rear ends.

Edited by Kindara

Official Quotes

"Initially we considered allowing players to transfer to any server they wished, or to a variety of different servers. However, on a massive scale, this free-for-all approach causes potential problems..."

AND potential solutions such as Guilds staying together, Friends being able to stay together.

I know. Fail on Bioware's part for not being able to do what other developers have no problem doing. Trion who makes Rift has no problem giving free transfers (max once a week) to any server, including moving entire guilds. But Bioware would rather funnel us into their idea of what we want, not transfer guilds for us, and make us pay in the future for character transfers from multiple servers. Funny how their REPS recommended we roll on other higher pop servers in the past.

I put in Bold.

Not sure wy you're unable to read "future & Pay fee" possibilities. Of course they are very good at being deceptive and purposely inconsistant within their own postings. But Future and Pay Fee pretty much says only phase.

Yes, future and pay fee possibilities in phase 3 or 4, maybe. You don't know, nobody knows. That's my point.

So attempting to say definitively or in absolutes that Jung Ma + Ven Zallow is all there is going to be for free is hogwash.

Funny how their REPS recommended we roll on other higher pop servers in the past.

They probably had this planned like this from the beginning and they know that they can make more money doing things this way. I.E: Choosing our server options for us and not letting us bring all of our characters together.

Once again I offer with all these servers that will be DOA/boxed up due not enough subs to run them all why not make 3 super servers and have everyone one on them?

Matrix online had:

1 for PVE - USA

1 for PVP USA

1 for RP/PVP/PVE If you don't wanna pvp then don't flag. No automatic flags.

Copy the same for EU.

Don't give me the run about server pops. Anything is possible with smart programming and free server equipment. If Pops improve a year from now then open up a new super world.

I mean it doesn't have to happen next week but shoot for it in the future. I mean LOTRO use to have to manually transfer you and it cost $25 per character. Rift was free once per week only.

AOC ended your character and freed up the name if it wasn't leveled once per month.

All these senario's have happened before. This is not breaking new ground in any way for MMO's

Edited by BashFall

Once again I offer with all these servers that will be DOA/boxed up due not enough subs to run them all why not make 3 super servers and have everyone one on them?

Yup, I agree. Three servers for each major region with big clusters like CCP does with EVE Online does (except EVE is just one big clustered server).

But that's probably more money/investment than Bioware can ever justify considering their subscriber income has dwindled exponentially since launch.

AOC ended your character and freed up the name if it wasn't leveled once per month.

Indeed. I remember a time when AOC even deleted your under level 20 characters if they were not played within a certain period of time just to clean up their database. I'm not saying that would work for TOR, but perhaps applying a duplicate naming policy with this in mind would help for the mergers?

So i have a guild on Helm of Graush. My guild re-rolled onto The Fatman. So do i just have to wait until paid transfers to move the guild with my toon as the guildleader to the fatman?

Nothing definitely has been said by BW, but I would venture to say probably.

Yes, future and pay fee possibilities in phase 3 or 4, maybe. You don't know, nobody knows. That's my point.

So attempting to say definitively or in absolutes that Jung Ma + Ven Zallow is all there is going to be for free is hogwash.

Oh My god you are completely ridiculous with such faith lol!

It's a shame so many posts are completely ad hominem and off-topic. Hope it gets cleaned up :(

I have my backup names ready.

Anyone else have theirs ready as well?

:jawa_angel:

Still trying to think of possible legacy names >.< I don't think it'll be a problem for me, though. Darth Malak is in the upper 50% of the server populations, so I think we'll be more likely to be a destination :D

Edited by psi_overtake