Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Having finally received the prompt on both servers I frequent, I checked things out...and am NOT pleased.

If I wanted a VERY HEAVY server, I would have rolled on one in the first place.

A larger population is fine only under two situations...1) The community makes it worth it, and as of right now,

I know nothing about Droga's Pleasure Barge(?), nor Jedi Covenant, so I'm going to have to visit those forums.

2) There is no queue to log-in. THIS is why most people that chose a light to medium server chose one in the first place.

:mad:

Edited by Borast

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to post on customer service but go no answers so trying here. I have a charactor on two different servers. I want to move them both to the same server. Will this be a possibility? Can you we choose from several servers or we going to be forced to move to whatever server bioware decides.

Epic fail.

If they wanted this to be controlled, then they should have server merged, giving oldest characters that logged in last 30 days and guilds the right to keep names. This is poor service making people do it themselves and losing character names to people that might not even be playing on the new servers.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

lost 5 out of 6 names, and would lost 7 out of 8 on another server but not moving the rest for now. Yes names aren't everything but I am a paying customer since beta too, why am I penalized.

You are not required to move when transfers become available; it's your choice if you'd like to stay on your server.

So is this the official last word? Transfers all but gutted Rubat Crystal but my friends are still there, so I plan to stay there. I don't want to log in to the server was shut down and have a waiting message, "Well you should have transferred when we offered it."

Having finally received the prompt on both servers I frequent, I checked things out...and am NOT pleased.

A larger population is fine only under two situations...1) The community makes it worth it, and as of right now,

I know nothing about Droga's Pleasure Barge(?), nor Jedi Covenant, so I'm going to have to visit those forums.

2) There is no queue to log-in. THIS is why most people that chose a light to medium server chose one in the first place.

They balanced out the servers well so their are no FULL servers and plus queues go really quick I moved to Covenant if your going to complain quit no need to cry about it.

Hi,

Does Courtney, Joveth, or anyone know what the plan is for the origin servers?

I wanted to keep some of my character on Namadii Corridor (which is one of the origin servers). It was great initially because I could then have more than 8 characters without loosing any of the ones I had. Now, my characters on Harbinger are very happy. But I have not been able to get into a warzone on Namadii Corridor for several days now.

Some of us who stayed behind in the origin servers are concerned that these servers will eventually be shut down and we will be forced to move.

Thanks!

Hi,

Does Courtney, Joveth, or anyone know what the plan is for the origin servers?

... But I have not been able to get into a warzone on Namadii Corridor for several days now.

Some of us who stayed behind in the origin servers are concerned that these servers will eventually be shut down and we will be forced to move.

Thanks!

Same with Shadow Hand... and why in the first place? The fleet was on average 50-70 a day, so not too bad, PVP would be slow fill only at nights. Today, I was one of two or three all day (never saw a 50) and PVP queues are non-existent for either level group. For many, this was a poor service decision. I will be forced to move at some point as a result, so much for my choice.

I'm with you on that one Borast!

Edited by anackerc

Will 1.3 transfers be free?

Bioware has not said when paid and/or open transfers will start. I think it is safe to expect that nothing will change on the current process on Tuesday when 1.3 comes out. Meaning, free transfers on the pre-selected servers.

Same with Shadow Hand... and why in the first place? The fleet was on average 50-70 a day, so not too bad, PVP would be slow fill only at nights. Today, I was one of two or three all day (never saw a 50) and PVP queues are non-existent for either level group. For many, this was a poor service decision. I will be forced to move at some point as a result, so much for my choice.

so you honestly think that with already only 50 people on the fleet (that is a small number, like it or not) RANKED warzones would work? wow.

(not forgetting to mention the group finder. how is that supposed with a server-only finder? when there's about 20-30 lvl 50s online you can count it.... 8 people in a ranked warzone, 8 people in a normal warzone... 8 people doing a guild only ops... yeah not much left. and this is just the 'best case' scenario)

in other news, does anyone know what happened to that detailed topic about the servers that already transfered and those still missing? I'm just wondering if we can expect any further changes to the server populations or if we're about done for now ;)

Edited by amnie

I would only be interested in transferring all my characters to a single server along with my friend's characters. There is no point in transferring characters if I can't play with my friends.

What a huge, huge mistake Bioware is making. In the name of saving face they very well might be putting a couple more nails into this games proverbial coffin.

The correct solution is server merges which helps keep guilds together as well as whats left of the communities servers have developed. This limited pool transfer is going to be a disaster. What if friends that are on a break come back an are unable to meet up with the rest of the friends because there are no longer transfer to that server.

This whole solution to this issue is a microcosm of the inept decisions in design this game suffers from. I cant believe that the negative PR from server merges has forced their hands into this completely foolish decision.

What I thought would and could be such a positive event moving forward is turning into another in a long line of terrible self defeating choices by Bioware.

I love it! these are my thoughts exactly! .... When i Read that server transfers were finally here i was so excited to start playing again! Then I read more, and started to cry... Why in the world say "We miss our customers, Come back to us, you can transfer your toons now!" but then limit us to transfer to very specific predetermined servers. I want to transfer to the server that my friends are on... it's so simple... yet Bioware managed to get it wrong again.

I love it! these are my thoughts exactly! .... When i Read that server transfers were finally here i was so excited to start playing again! Then I read more, and started to cry... Why in the world say "We miss our customers, Come back to us, you can transfer your toons now!" but then limit us to transfer to very specific predetermined servers. I want to transfer to the server that my friends are on... it's so simple... yet Bioware managed to get it wrong again.

not at all. the purpose of the transfers was to have people be able to play on a full server, for several reasons.

if you want to play with friends who - for whatever reason - play on a different server (and considering how there is now only 1-2 actually full server per server kind this is actually unlikely), then you will have to wait for paid transfers; just like it's handled with character transfers in pretty much every other game give or take a few exceptions.

and even with the paid transfers you will probably still not be able to switch to a different server kind. so do the 'normal' thing for this case and either reroll or make your friends reroll.

Ok you guys say that transfers may cause potential problems and transfers are a delicate and strenuous process... I find this comment funny because Rift offers FREE character transfers on a daily basis to any server at any time.... I guess they know something we dont....

I don't suppose that the admins will keep to a minimum number of players / server, and offer free transfers on a queue system by player or guild basis..... In Europe ijn general and on Shaitlin Tunnels especially , the whole of the Glaxy is like a ghost-town. The other lunchtime, I was the only player on several worlds. ... Okay so it ain't peak time, but sometimes on a Saturday night only me and my guild are there. --- No chance of using the GTN, finding groups or just hooking up and interacting with other players. Grrr! Maybe they should programme in some tumbleweeds.... Not happy.

being i alredy have started more toons on another server i feel i should be able to transfer a character to that server , i understand they dont want server overload but i already have toons on the server i want to transfer to and i can only play one toon at a time so where is the problem

Well if you were playing on the same server as your friends you would have done. Why weren't you playing with them before? Don't tell me you unsubbed, whilst they re-rolled. If that's the case then tough wait for paid transfers.

For me, on Bacchus Blade we still have 50-70 log in at peak times, especially weekends but never more than 10 in fleet. At the moment I'm not interested in Op's and HM flashpoints so being reasonably self sufficient I can happily continue without transferring until I decide I want to move or when Bioware have stopped paying for their servers or decide to force me off, then I'll go happily to a new server.

What does bug me though is the frequent transfer message that appears in the middle of my screen when I'm running space missions:)

The server that they want me to move to, already has my Empire characters on it, and I don't want my Republic character on the same server as my Empire characters. I would like to transfer him though. Hopefully they will give us more of a choice for the free transfer.

Ok you guys say that transfers may cause potential problems and transfers are a delicate and strenuous process... I find this comment funny because Rift offers FREE character transfers on a daily basis to any server at any time.... I guess they know something we dont....

Weekly, not daily. Also, not any server at any time:

Why are only some shards available for transfer?

We want the shard you select to provide the best experience possible. It is important that there remains a balance between Guardian and Defiant players to ensure that available shards do not become overpopulated or unbalanced. For this reason you will only be able to move to specific shards we’ve selected to accept new transfers. Please note the shards available for transfer may change over time.

Also you have to change your name if it's taken on the destination server, which would be a big turn-off to a lot of people.

Free transfers to any server once a week on SWTOR would very quickly be exploited by ninjas, griefers and people wanting to play the GTN.:p

Also consider the fact that for instance some of the origin servers like the one I am from are now Completely EMPTY... there is an average of 48 characters on The Empire side at one time. And all the destination servers are completely full. So I am just thinking out loud here but this problem that they were wanting to solve...didn't they just make it worse?:rak_02::ph_use_the_force:

I live in the west and before they were labelled I started on a now pretty dead East Server and now my first character is trapped there lol. I was hoping to see the server allowed in the 'new' transfers since they seem indiscriminate on east to west and vice versa. Unfortunately I can only move from one east to another east at this time.. I hope they fix this really soon. I guess I can do that and get gear but its useless if I never play on that server..:mad:

Those of us who already transferred before this. Do we get the pet/comms?

Also I noticed that Veeboo Lunx is NOT on the "Qualified" list... even though it is open to transfers to "Drooga's(...)"... no love for those that left Veeboo behind? /sadface