Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

...we’re allowing character transfers to occur between selected servers in order to provide a better gameplay experience for our players ...

Read More

This is not the case for me. My option is to transfer to an east coast server with higher latency or stay on my underpopulated west coast server. I know your intentions were good but what you've done has resulted in a catch 22 for me with my game play experience degrading no matter which option I choose.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question I'd like answered is how are you (BW) going to handle the 50:1 player to quest ratio when it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes for respawns / quest item resets?

As you can see by my sig I have 5 level 50's. I can currently duo and complete all of the dailies, including heroics, in about an hour and a half. When I'm forced (as I see it) to transfer to a high population server, I may get 1 completed per day.

I use dailies as an example, but I'm concerned about leveling up a character as well. Many places have just enough spawn / update clickies for only one person. If there are dozens of people doing the same quest, then there will be problems. I get tired of seeing "Welcome to the interwebz." when someone points out these types of issues. It's a cop-out.

You are not required to move when transfers become available; it's your choice if you'd like to stay on your server.

This seems like a cruel joke to me. How can a person stay on a server when everyone else is leaving? I want to keep my characters' names, which I can't do on the destination server, and since that server will be the only remaining RP-PVE server with characters on it, I basically have a choice between abandoning my characters' names or staying on a nearly empty server with nobody to play with.

And what will happen to all those servers with holdout characters on them? My guess is that you won't keep them all running with barely any players around. There will be server closings, and I'll be forced to go to the server that I don't want to go to. Some "choice" that is.

This seems like a cruel joke to me. How can a person stay on a server when everyone else is leaving? I want to keep my characters' names, which I can't do on the destination server, and since that server will be the only remaining RP-PVE server with characters on it, I basically have a choice between abandoning my characters' names or staying on a nearly empty server with nobody to play with.

And what will happen to all those servers with holdout characters on them? My guess is that you won't keep them all running with barely any players around. There will be server closings, and I'll be forced to go to the server that I don't want to go to. Some "choice" that is.

I kept mine on there waiting for paid transfers. I just simply refuse to go to another RP-PVE server when 95% of my gameplay is PVP. So as soon as I can pay to have my characters moved to the PVP server of my choosing I will transfer them.

I just did my husband's and my character transfers, and kudos on a smooth process! It was quick and easy. I had to change a couple toon names, but strangely it was the two whose names I liked the least, so huzzah!

Now give me more toon slots and I'll be a happy happy fangirl. :D

Okay, question: In this wave of transfers, will origin servers that already have a destination server ever get a different one?

I transferred my main character onto a larger server to be with my guild. I have another character that was on a different server entirely that is eligible to transfer to the same server that now houses my main. I don't want that other char to share the legacy of my main char, but I also want to transfer to a bigger server. Will this be possible in the near future?

So... I take it the answer is no...

Because there are many people who have large enough guild or circle of friends to do the content who don't need to see a million people around the just to see a million people around them.

They choose to stay.

So many people in here complain, and complain, and complain. There are other games out there last I checked, that are as affordable as SWTOR, many even less expensive. I think that company called Blizzard still has that one simple, yet popular MMO available.

No one is making you subscribe, and if they are, something is wrong.

Whatever happened to enjoying a game for what is is, and having fun? This isn't my first MMO, and probably not my last, but I love this game, it's everything I imagined it to be, and it's less than 9 months old. That's just me.

Edited by Aurrelio

So... I take it the answer is no...

I have the same issue, two servers of characters, two different server destinations. I guess they expect us to pay to get all of our characters together if they are from more then one server.:eek:

So many people in here complain, and complain, and complain. There are other games out there last I checked, that are as affordable as SWTOR, many even less expensive. I think that company called Blizzard still has that one simple, yet popular MMO available.

No one is making you subscribe, and if they are, something is wrong.

Whatever happened to enjoying a game for what is is, and having fun? This isn't my first MMO, and probably not my last, but I love this game, it's everything I imagined it to be, and it's less than 9 months old. That's just me.

Stop drowning yourself in your tears under your tree of sorrows, or get off of our servers and get a new game.

Hehehe, reminds me of

This is not the case for me. My option is to transfer to an east coast server with higher latency or stay on my underpopulated west coast server. I know your intentions were good but what you've done has resulted in a catch 22 for me with my game play experience degrading no matter which option I choose.

What kind of server are you on? Because from what I've seen if you are on a PvE or PvP server your destination server is on the same coast.

There will be a full FAQ published on Tuesday to answer most of your questions, but I wanted to go ahead and answer these two.

1. Due to a variety of factors (including the naming and re-naming process after transferring characters), this was deemed to be the most efficient method in assuring that Guilds retain their Guild Banks on the new server.

2. Yes, you will have to:

• Remove all items & credits from the Guild Bank.
  • Disband the Guild.
  • Transfer to the new server and reform the Guild.
  • Contact Customer Service to re-establish the Guild Bank and Guild Bank tabs.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Why has our guild been told that our Guild bank will not be restored? We moved to the new server in good faith that the GB would be restored once we got there, have the same name and the same members so what's the problem?

Well it’s great that those of us who don’t want to move don’t have to but in siphoning off players you really are mandating it if we want anything other thing than a single player experience. I want to take bets on how far time in to the immediate future where you tell us that you are going to close the servers you are taking people from.

Why has our guild been told that our Guild bank will not be restored? We moved to the new server in good faith that the GB would be restored once we got there, have the same name and the same members so what's the problem?

Say what?? That's rotten. You disbanded your guild on the old server? That's the only reason I can think of...

Well it’s great that those of us who don’t want to move don’t have to but in siphoning off players you really are mandating it if we want anything other thing than a single player experience. I want to take bets on how far time in to the immediate future where you tell us that you are going to close the servers you are taking people from.

It is the first step in closing dead servers. Give folks opportunities to leave to more populated servers then close the ghost towns. Every MMO does it and SWTOR is no different.

If I had to bet I would say players on near empty servers will get roughly 2 months of solo play, then will be forced to choose a server the next time they log in.

It is the first step in closing dead servers. Give folks opportunities to leave to more populated servers then close the ghost towns. Every MMO does it and SWTOR is no different.

If I had to bet I would say players on near empty servers will get roughly 2 months of solo play, then will be forced to choose a server the next time they log in.

That would be nice to be able to choose. That would proove that good things truely do come to those that wait.

I come from a long line of games that have dev.'s that actually care, so forgive me. I rolled my toon with the name Inquisition 4 mins after the servers came live. I do their stupid char. transfer and lose my name. This pisses me off, dont you think they should have maybe set something up to where the person who had the name first should be able to keep it rather than the person who is tranfering is the one who automatically has to change their name? This seems like another classic case of "we dont care, if you dont like it, dont play" Way to keep the game alive.

That would be nice to be able to choose. That would proove that good things truely do come to those that wait.

True enough. I am waiting to see how this plays out for people like me who have maxed out alts on two servers of the same type (RP-PvE). Will they open another RP-PvE server or just expect us to ditch half of our characters (which would result in a CANCEL PAYMENT for me).

This may have already been answered somewhere else, but has there been any news about if/when open transfers to various server types will be allowed? I'm assuming this will be a paid service, and I'm fine with that, just curious about when this feature might be available (or if it's even being discussed at this point).

I'm a Californian who originally rolled on Krayt Dragon (PvE East server) because a bunch of my RL friends and guildies from Rift got assigned to that server at launch. They've since moved on to other games and I just moved to The Shadowlands (PvE East) last week when it was selected as the destination server for Krayt Dragon refugees. Would love the chance to get on a PvE West (I'm looking at you, Harbinger! :D ) server at some point down the line. *Fingers crossed for some time before the end of the year*

I am disappointed in the character transfer process. The key thing that bothers me is the way the character names are handled. My server is not a destination server so I will be losing all my character names if I transfer. This is something I am not willing to do. I pre-ordered swtor and beta tested. I ensured I would be able to get the names I desired and did. Now I am forced to lose the names I have carried on my characters through years of MMOs. I have four level 50 characters in swtor and they all will lose their names if I transfer. A solution to this would be to look at character level and the date the character was created and base who gets to keep the name depending on that data. At this point I will not transfer. I hope to see a better handling of this when the server merges are implemented or I will be leaving the game sadly. It is no fun to play a character with a name you do not desire.

I agree with the above poster, especially when your level 50 has a name you leveled with and the transfer server has all your names as level 1 chars just for a hold purpose. I feel that if you have a name and your a higher level and created at game start then you should have priority on said name.... we played from the start and got early access for a reason... to get our names we wanted.... not to play whatever..... names make our game play experience along with the game play. it is as much a part of the game as any other character in the game... Names should be Seniority Rules...

You still think latnecy is an issue in 2012?

LOL. no. Only baddie PCs or PEBKAC issues. I've played on Ajunta Pall from here on the good 'ol East Coast. No latency issues. Ever.

Edited by islander