Preview Exciting New Reveals from E3!

---Quote (Originally by Comstrike)---

LOTRO had two major updates, each larger in scope and content than all of SWTOR's combined. They also have had two festival events and an anniversary event. Likewise, they are already building towards another major update in a month or so, another summer festival, fall festival, and Riders of Rohan just started pre-order tonight. Odds are that goes live in September, just three more months away, and another update before the end of 2012. THAT is a proper update cycle. This game will get there. Just not in 2012.

They had talked about two major updates every six months, smaller updates in between, and a premium update at the end of the year. To be fair, it is a post-launch game, they have bugs, and clearly a heck of a lot more to fix than expected, plus they are having to advance on things intended to stem the fleeing base of players. So whatever the plan was, it isn't that anymore. The last comment that speaks to the changed footing the game is on, is that they have a "plan for the REST of this year."

For my part, its a fun game. I have my guild here, folks will stick around, especially with F2P up to lvl 15. I look forward to seeing what they have built by early 2013.

---End Quote---

Good idea. Let's compare a new game, fresh outta launch, to a game that's been around for years.

Alternatively, for a closer comparison, look and see what each game has done within the first 6 months."

Jamie, I respect that you like the game, and are simply defending it from your point of view, but did you read my post or just glance over it? As I stated, LOTRO is where this game can get, not where it is. Nor did I say it should be where LOTRO is now, after only six months. I pointed to a fine example of what SWTOR should work towards. Bioware did speak to their aggressive goals for year-one, which actually mirror what LOTRO did in its first year, since you want to compare. Plans did not survive contact with reality as we all know.

That said, I did not compare LOTRO vs. SWTOR in terms of their first six months, as I already have said. In truth, LOTRO did far better despite the difference in scale of the two games. The industry also has evolved a lot since 2006/2007. What I did point too, was a game, which has become a very steady, stable, and highly respected one within the genre.

LOTRO never went over 1 million subs.. at least the F2P is perfect for me.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Only issue with the game currently is population, they should rename a few server the "Void of Emptiness", "Loneman land" or "Everyone ate too much junkfood and rerolled Fat"

Edited by ElitehunterDS

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOTRO never went over 1 million subs.. at least the F2P is perfect for me.

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

Only issue with the game currently is population, they should rename a few server the "Void of Emptiness", "Loneman land" or "Everyone ate too much junkfood and rerolled Fat"

Speaking of population, Are they gonna merge some servers or what?

Wow some of you are disgustingly pathetic. Threatening to leave the game because there's not enough to do, not a good enough variety in species and so on. Then we get this huge announcement of some major content additions that are in the works, but instead of being stoked you're b****ing that the content is stupid. Seriously you make me sick. It hasn't even been 6 months yet and they already announced a new species, which by the way from what I've seen in the game is Republic aligned so I'm sure there's an Empire race coming as well, and also a new planet. Not to mention all the other additions that'll help give you more to do. If this massive announcement didn't get you even a bit excited, I have no friggin' idea why you're still here. Can't wait BW!

Yah, the new species, Cather i believe, was one of my favorite species. Also in Kotor 1 Juhani was one of the best people to use, she was a Cather. So I can't wait for this update on that alone, not to mention all the other additions.

Everything is nice and exciting, but I really have one issue: why Cathar?

Or better yet.. why ONLY Cathar?

I am still waiting for Togruta. Until then, I`ll pass this abomination of a race.

I kinda have to agree with you on this. I'm not excited one bit about the Cathar being the "new race". I was much looking forward to either Togrutas or Nautolans. ;/

So apperently bioware has been trying to cover up all the negtive respawnses

Regardind the cathar being Put into the game. By deleting mine and im sure other

Peoples comments. So here is how mine went:

Bioware:theres a new race being added to the game

Me:horray

Bioware: its the cathar!

Me: your funny theres no way u would add the crappiest species to the game

I thought you WANTED people to play the game

Bioware: we do and thats why while we anounce this server transfers

Still arent out

Me: so i wont even have enough people on my server to play new content

Bioware not true you can play the cathar

What about iconic races in star wars for example rodians, wookies, nautolans, etc.

Tell me bioware where are the REAL aliens. All i see are diffrent colored humans

Togruta is also a fun species. Maybe you should suggest that to BW. There are many species that could be chosen to make but it would be quite a long time to get them all or even a small fraction of them. So I would give them all lots of patience so that they can try and get this game on its feet.

The only species ive seen people really want are:

Togruta

Nautolan

Rodian

Just add these and you will be good

Maybe a cat species would be a big hit in wow, but in swtor not everyone

Is an umarried woman who will die alone with her 83839402 cats eating her.

Togruta is also a fun species. Maybe you should suggest that to BW. There are many species that could be chosen to make but it would be quite a long time to get them all or even a small fraction of them. So I would give them all lots of patience so that they can try and get this game on its feet.

Well if they wait any longer to get it on its feet there wont be anything for the feet to hold up.

I think people are still forgetting the game isn't even a year old yet. BW sees that people are very impatient and are tryin to appeal to our needs without throwing eveything out all at once. I'm sure we'll see more species like rodians and Togruta in the near future. But asking them to add things isn't gonna happen. enjoy the game, don't rush it.

New op: Cool

New warzone: Cool, not going to be used alot by me but cool for ones attracted to it.

New planet: Fair enough

Higher level cap: WHAT!? So now I got to level up my main and alts even further? Don't get my wrong, I did even enjoy leveling them (considering other games where it just was getting to max level) but my point is simple. It might even be made already as I couldn't go through every post made before mine. I don't know if I'm keen on this point, it adds more content to the game, that's for sure, but besides the alts I enjoy the game the most playing endgame PVE content, operations, hard mode Denova for now. With the level cap going up a notch all current endgame content won't be endgame anymore, and as we don't have alot as it is at the moment, I'm quite worried about that.

You all know that the level cap will only be raised 2 to 3 levels correct? There was a survey going around that covered the details of the level cap rise and add-on package which will cost money...

So you're saying that EAWare is going to require you to make an additional purchase in order to continue playing new 'relevant' content?! *** that! They already ripped me off enough, they ain't getting anymore of my money. This game isn't worth the price tag, sad really as TOR had the makings to be a real contender but EA/Bioware shot so many holes in it I doubt it'll ever really float again. And if there really is a price tag for this update, it seems to show EA wanting to eat as much money as possible before players realized that the boat sank and life-rafts are gone.

Edited by Artthen
language

I think people are still forgetting the game isn't even a year old yet. BW sees that people are very impatient and are tryin to appeal to our needs without throwing eveything out all at once. I'm sure we'll see more species like rodians and Togruta in the near future. But asking them to add things isn't gonna happen. enjoy the game, don't rush it.

listen to this man people!!

stop flaming BW over stupid little things.

SWTOR already has more content than most other MMO's did at this stage. its 6 months old for ****s sake!

people complain that the new race is only minor, why not ask them why cyborgs can only be human? i want a chiss cyborg.

save more prominent species additions for later content. if they give everyone what they want right from the start, then no one will have anything to look forward to in the future and people wont have a reason to continue playing.

People who complain, expected too much from a new game. I'm not expecting this much, so the game didn't disappoint me yet.

So "bring it on!" Bio Ware.

Im sorry but I have to disagree. This is NOT a new game on many levels.

1) It had a year in beta or longer. They didn't listen to the feedback. This is the result.

2) They've compiled feedback for this entire time and not done a fraction of what's been asked by the majority. It's one thing for people to complain about the impossible. But bioware has known for over a year now (considering what people said in beta) what their customers want. Whether they failed to read the feedback or just ignored it is no longer relevant. What IS relevant is that at this point in time, I believe, we all have a RIGHT to complain.

3) Bioware is making the same mistakes that other games have made in the past. If any employee had looked into the history of failed MMO's then they wouldn't have made the same mistakes. Therefore, preventing the complaints and downfall of its own game.

So again: On more levels than just one, SWTOR is no longer a new game. Thereby giving me my right to complain for not hearing the majority for what they want.

Edited by PorcelainDoll

Actually, no. I went through and did a side-by-side:

RIFT launched:

Without an LFG tool

Without open-world PvP (PvP rifts were almost 8 months later)

Without server transfers

Without an endgame, only one raid (Tor launched with 2)

With only one storyline for all classes

With 6 hour queues

Without appearance (gear) customization (TOR launched with some)

The first major patch in RIFT had only one raid that became available April 16th, 47 days after launch. It had a plethora of attempted class balance nerfs that broke more than it balanced, and was only about half the size of TOR's first major patch. 47 days after launch to get 2 raids, the number of raids TOR launched with. And they were easy, cleared by guilds in no time.

In contrast, TOR's first major patch was January 17th, 28 days after launch, almost half the time of RIFT, and included a new Flashpoint, doubled the size of an Op (effectively a new raid zone), and fixed more bugs right the first time than Rift ever wish they did.

The next major patch in RIFT brought the LFG tool and wardrobe slots on May 10th. It offered NO NEW CONTENT. The next patch to offer new content wasn't until Hammerknell on July 27th, 149 days after launch.

In contrast, TOR's next major patch brought another Warzone, another Operation, Legacy, new dailies and gear on Corellia, balance passes that fixed more than it broke on April 12th, 114 days after launch. TOR had more endgame content faster than RIFT did.

So far, TOR's doing better.

The only issue with TOR's endgame content is that it's too easy. Thus, people are going through it too fast. An issue I hope BioWare will correct with all future content.

As for server transfers, they weren't offered in Rift until June 22nd, 113 days after launch, so you're correct there.

You seem to be forgetting EVERY SINGLE EVENT that Rift put out. I played Rift from the start and quit it before October. From my recollection of events Rift was a fun play-through the FIRST TIME, then it became MUCH TOO rinse/repeat. Content was lacking, and horrendously bugged for a good long while (one of the reasons I quit). Endgame, post-50, was not in anyway immersive. I do not have many fond memories about Rift but I feel that I do have to defend the info you are posting is incredibly in TOR's favor by your doing and not actual facts. If you'd incorporate the updates that started World Events and World Story quests you'll soon find Rift was not as devoid of content that your are portraying.

Some highlights in Rift were the specs, albeit that was one of it's crushing points are well because the devs had no clue how to balance. The amount of choices a player had for speccing and, considering what 'job' the player wanted, were seemingly endless. Yes, endgame was cookie-cutter speccing but you still had ample options on HOW to spend a couple extra points. SWTOR does not afford players that luxury. Also where's dual-spec?

I also wouldn't say that SWTOR had two fully functional raids/operations out of the box. That's obscenely unfair. They had one fully done operation (EV) which was heavily bugged on multiple levels and it became a running joke that you have to beat the bugs THEN the boss... KP wasn't finished and you only had one boss available which was again heavily bugged. EV had 4 bosses with minimal trash. Rift's first raid had 5 not including Greenscale with trash being the puzzle and actually quite fun.

As far as who fixed bugs the fastest, jury is still out on that one. Rift DID have dyes available in which to customize your gear early on, though it got easier and had MANY more options later down the road. Gear maxing was leagues more customizable in Rift with MANY more options and different ways to incorporate it into your various chosen specs/roles, TOR is fairly scarce for actual 'options' when it comes to any maxing.

As far as 6hrs of queue times, that's unrealistic. Maybe on their most densely populated server, initially. They handled servers quite well, MUCH better than SWTOR did. Even their low-pop servers still had enough of a base to do stuff, SWTOR's server status was fantastic..INITIALLY now it's in the worst state I've seen in any MMO, except the FATMAN server...

When I left Rift I HATED that game, but my hate wasn't enough to keep me away from your unfair comparison. I have lost all faith that EA has a clue what they are doing in this game and if it's Bioware's baby then I hope they make some drastic changes because they need to wake the hell up and feel that salt water as they are up to their necks trying to ride a sinking ship.

So again: On more levels than just one, SWTOR is no longer a new game. Thereby giving me my right to complain for not hearing the majority for what they want.

by normal game standards its not a new game, by MMO standards it is.

they didnt have a year of beta, they had beta sessions during 2011. game is ~6 months old with at most a couple months of beta.

This game just get's better and better, what would top it off a bit more for me would be some mounts, i.e. Taunton for Hoth & Ilum, Bantha or Dewback for Tatooine etc...

Tha assault on the space station looks phenomenal.

A new planet, that's fantastic, other planets I would like to see are Kashyyyk and Geonosis, there are Geonosians and Wookies in game why not their associated planets.. even from FP or Ops points of view.

A new companion in HK, great, Could you see if we could name our own Companions, or is the ingame code for these to much associated with their fixed names, if not then name a pet or mount.

You doing great things BW, EA & LA, keep it up and thanks for everything so far.

thing is beta isnt for adding new things people want its for fixing bugs and things u want that were not in game in the beta are not bugs so yeah

The problem is they didn't listen to a majority of feedback in the Beta Tests.

already been stated, beta isnt for feedback, its for bugs and other issues like major imbalances between classes.

Which they didn't listen to... What do you think I meant by feedback?

"Hey, how ya doin? Liking the game so far?"

"No your game sux, needs moar dots!"

Feedback, at least wanted feedback during ANY Beta is all about does it play/feel right? Do you feel like XX class is useful. Is content in XX zone too difficult, not difficult enough? Are nodes STILL underground or unclickable? Was it difficult to download and log in? Are loading screens too long? How is the server stability and/or server population?