what is to be done about non-english on english servers?

necrotura

The "English" tag means the voices and text is in English.

It does not mean that people are required to write in English.

This.

The other options are French and German. Where else would people from the other 40-odd European countries roll their toons?

Edited by LexiCazam
Rude - quote

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, generalizing is accurate because we've seen it in WoW. Is it fair to everyone? No.

You know what else, I completely agree with your bolded suggestion. Even going as far back as MUDs, there were options to create foreign language channels - or a custom channel. There's no reason foreign language speakers shouldn't be able to do so in their own channel.

I mean why would that affect my gameplay at all? Outside of maybe having to pug with some that don't speak English at all, I mean that's it.

I played in Warsong, and I can tell, a lot of brazilians didn't liked the amount of rude br players there.

But Swtor has a trump card, people that don't know english will quit in a few weeks whining how bad this game is...

Remember, this is not WoW.

Btw, WoW opened a 100% portuguese server with free transfers, then people you are afraid will not come as you think

This.

The other options are French and German. Where else would people from the other 40-odd European countries roll their toons?

geht klar. kannst du haben :D

is eh viel lustiger wenn man versucht herauszufinden, was der/die andere gerade gesagt hat :p

I played in Warsong, and I can tell, a lot of brazilians didn't liked the amount of rude br players there.

But Swtor has a trump card, people that don't know english will quit in a few weeks whining how bad this game is...

Remember, this is not WoW.

Btw, WoW opened a 100% portuguese server with free transfers, then people you are afraid will not come as you think

I know about the Portugeuse server actually. I think that's something the Live Services team should look into in the near future. Not just Portugeuse, but French (for Quebec), Spanish, etc.

They could easily add more servers - although I suspect coordinating the transfers would be way too much to ask 'right now'.

Edited by islander

Moderation.

That's the key.

What is absolutely reasonable is for an (e.g.) Polish speaker to post a quick message in /1 General. Perhaps LF other Polish speaking players to group with. Why shouldn't that happen?

What's unreasonable, and grossly impolite, is to have continue a conversation in general in a language other than English - in full knowledge that 90%+ won't have a clue what they're on about.

Having said that spamming of any sort in General is rude and obnoxious. I'm not sure I find foreign language any more offensive than the Anal <insert item link here> nonsense that went on in WoW.

Just out of interest: excuse my ignorance here. Do non-English speaking Europeans choose the English servers for a particular reason. Or does the same happen on German MMO realms, for example?

Moderation.

That's the key.

What is absolutely reasonable is for an (e.g.) Polish speaker to post a quick message in /1 General. Perhaps LF other Polish speaking players to group with. Why shouldn't that happen?

What's unreasonable, and grossly impolite, is to have continue a conversation in general in a language other than English - in full knowledge that 90%+ won't have a clue what they're on about.

Having said that spamming of any sort in General is rude and obnoxious. I'm not sure I find foreign language any more offensive than the Anal <insert item link here> nonsense that went on in WoW.

Just out of interest: excuse my ignorance here. Do non-English speaking Europeans choose the English servers for a particular reason. Or does the same happen on German MMO realms, for example?

Because of the enormous production of movies, songs, games etc. in english, english language has become a language of which it is possible to grasp a very basic competence

even without minimal or none studying

MMOrpgs' terminolgy, furthermore is made of a very small number of words, so after a

bit it's possible to grasp enough to play.

A friend of mine used to play WoW without knowing english at all; she simpli matched the places in the quest text with the places on the map .When dealing with more complicated quests or dungeons she often asked my advice.

Due to this reasons it's more likely to found someone who is proficient in "non-english language" and in english than in <non english language> and another non-english server language.

I know about the Portugeuse server actually. I think that's something the Live Services team should look into in the near future. Not just Portugeuse, but French (for Quebec), Spanish, etc.

They could easily add more servers - although I suspect coordinating the transfers would be way too much to ask 'right now'.

Go ask the PQQ to fight for that. They need something to do anyway

What's wrong with not speaking english? I could understand having a problem with people who refuse to speak english, otherwise it just seems like you're complaining for no reason.

it's the bolded, specifically. At least for me. I don't keep general chat active at all one way or the other.

I just don't need/want to be doing endgame content in pick-up groups with non-English speaking folks.

Mmm...

OP... There is an IGNORE option...

Just because, somehow, it annoys your intellect to see letters written in a way you don't understand doesn't mean BW should do something about it or that players who don't speak English should keep themselves from communicating to others of the same language or be cast aside while BW finds a "solution" to a non-existing problem imo.

I speak both english and spanish. I have yet to meet spanish speakers in game, but i dont see how people talking on general affects your game. It's exactly the same as when people spam LF or WTS...

You can always ignore, change chat preferences or just plain minimize your chat window.

I was talking to someone one general and this dude told me to "****, this aint a chat room"... WHO THE FUK CARES... It is a general chat. Don't like it? Close it, ignore, change instances, stop playing or simply get over it (if there is anything to get over about).

I'd rather have a population full of people that spoke effective but fractured English when dealing with me and speaking whatever language they want to each other, than a population speaking a completely indecipherable mish-mash of initialisms, slang and deliberate typos strung together with absolutely no punctuation. The former is, frankly, easier to understand and in a general sense, I have worlds more respect for people who are actually trying to LEARN the language in an effort to meet me halfway than for people who allegedly COULD speak the language and compose a readable sentence, but just can't be bothered.

To answer the question: let them speak whatever language they want; if it's dominating chat, then start ignoring. But to ban or ignore every user that doesn't speak English would leave you with virtually nobody.

Yes, yes, I know. "OMG *** QQ more lol this isnt english class neways sum1 tell u 2 **** kthxbai"

1) Who pays attention to General chat?

2) There is no rule requiring any specific language. At best, its a "suggestion" so people can find others who speak their language.

3) There are 3 options. There are 6,500 spoken languages in the world, 3,500 of which are spoken by more than 1,000 living people. You're going to get people who have to choose a server that isn't geared for them. Suck it up.

4) For the guy on page 1 who asked, Yes, there are people who will demand people speak English around them in person. They get offended if families speak another language near them, assuming it is being done to talk about them. Because in spite of the fact that English is not the most widely spoken language, nor the 2nd most, a lot of Americans seem to feel that the entire world should revolve around their convenience.

5) Seriously, who pays attention to General?

4) For the guy on page 1 who asked, Yes, there are people who will demand people speak English around them in person. They get offended if families speak another language near them, assuming it is being done to talk about them. Because in spite of the fact that English is not the most widely spoken language, nor the 2nd most, a lot of Americans seem to feel that the entire world should revolve around their convenience.

THIS... AND I MEAN IT... CAPS LOCK MODE MEAN IT.

I live in Orlando and what u say is completely true. Most Americans believe that Spanish people are talking about them when they speak Spanish.

While i somewhat understand problem if theres widespread spam in foreign languages i do think its really silly to start demanding action against most who might happen to use their native language

you dont loudly demand foreigners to speak english if you hear such in real world or do you?

diversity is good and should be respected not hated

diversity is good, and should be respected. i also see the problem when dealnig with a situation where you rely on these other people. the language barrier is what ruins the event in the game. lack of communication hurts party make-up. this game is released in 3 major languages. you should know at least one of these if you plan on functioning decently in it. when i played wow, if you joined a group or raid and didnt speak english you were kicked. i understand there are people who will buy the game and not speak the language and that is rough for them but thats not our problem, nor is wanting a solid speaknig server oppressing there rights. we paid for a game to enjoy it. not sit on google translator for 10 min just to find out this guy has to take a crap and hes afk.

as for you real world question, yes i do demand it. if i went to another country i'd do whatever i could to speak there language they better do the same here or leave. i believe the leathal weapon 4 said it best when they said the statue of liberty now has a sign reading no vacancy

It can cause issues though - if you end up on say the unofficial Russian server you will find it harder to get in groups as they will only accept Russian speakers into their groups as that's how they want to communicate. I've got no problem with that and can understand why they do it but having suffered from in it WoW I really want a list of the unofficial community servers - does one exist? For Rift for example it was all played out weeks in advance and in general all the big non-English gaming communities publicised where they were rolling so the English players could avoid it.

Hello

my question is :

on the EU English servers we have a problem of people not speaking English and thinking it is their right not to speak English on a clearly marked ENGLISH server.

i don't mind a bit here and there but when general is spammed full with it,well its just down right disrespectful

I think Bio have more urgent issues with ques and graphics right now, but you are right. They should do something about it, this is not right. Well, maybe server mods can issue some warnings and kick violators back to the que? Mwahahaha :jawa_evil:

Edited by Kerus

I see only 3 ways of solving this...

1) BW puts notes next to server names that says which community should concentrate on that server

2) set up new servers for specific languages

3) allow character transfer soon

Imagine if you are for example from Poland and you bought the game...and you dont speak English that well. There are no Polish servers so you pretty much have to choose English/German/French and sometimes ask in your native language.

Believe me we would like to stay with our comunity...but we dont know what servers that might be and you cant expect everyone to search forums/twitter for that info.

Hope that clarifies the view of the other side of this problem.

gl and hf ;)

The vast majority of Europe speaks one of those three languages. German is popular in the eastern european countries, French in the southern european countries, and then English is just popular everywhere.

While generally most non-English countries of Europe actually teaches one another language (now, but was not always the case) as a norm of basic education, let me also state that not everyone learns those languages well. I know several people from my surroundings that do not speak any of the three languages offered by Bioware at any useful level for communication, while understanding the story while reading it(somewhat).

The reason is simple - reading English is way easier than constructing English. For instance Slavic language group forms a sentence in completely different order, has different timing, you name it - world of difference. So while picking words one by one and making them into sense works, trying to formulate own sentences and spending ten minutes with dictionary and then pulling off just a half sane sentence might be quite a lot to demand of someone who came to relax to a game (after school where he was tortured with foreign languages half of the day possibly).

In the end, I am asking you all who complain to have patience. When I was at school back in the day, there was no English education in my country, only Russian and German. When first teachers emerged after revolution of '89, they were often just one lesson ahead of their students. Yes, that generation is still alive and gaming too ;)

That said, due to lack of good chances on education in English, I learned all my English you can read from me here and that you would hear from me in reality exclusively from computer games (given the fact my grammar took a hit when I started playing MMOs with actual native English speakers, cause many of you folks just **** your own language to no end, good example was one of the previous posters). Based on that experience, I claim that the situation will smoothen up over months. The language will likely pass on the players a bit as they play and they will become more confident to communicate in English (or whatever server language they picked), especially on servers without huge foreign language communities. Necessity is a good teacher.

Wall text end.

-Saide

PS: Whoever believes that BW will ban half of Europe paying them good money to play their game just for not knowing English/German/French must live in a different world where money means nothing.

The vast majority of Europe speaks one of those three languages. German is popular in the eastern european countries, French in the southern european countries, and then English is just popular everywhere.

Indeed...however take a look at this map :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rectified_Languages_of_Europe_map.png

Notice how many countries dont speak German/French/English ? I know these are the main world languages but that doesnt mean that everyone everywhere has to understand them. Maybe they speak spanish/italian/russian/japanese. Where should these ppl go ? What server should they choose ?

I dont think you can say that "vast majority" speaks those 3 lang. Many can uderstand to some degree but dont assume that they are in majority :)

Hello

my question is :

on the EU English servers we have a problem of people not speaking English and thinking it is their right not to speak English on a clearly marked ENGLISH server.

i don't mind a bit here and there but when general is spammed full with it,well its just down right disrespectful

so Bio, what are the plans to combat this problem ?

Another big mistake ...

Please fix this !!!!!

BW should open transfers to allow people to better organize their communities.

The Spanish want to play together (in your game in English) if possible and would like you to put a server for us. We could put all the Spanish in a single new server light ... (PvP / PvE).

one part of problem solved!!

Edited by Neco

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done. Short of give people the ability to transfer characters to other servers. I'm north american and selected an east coast server. Somehow the server I chose wound up being the 'unofficial' Brazil server. I'm in an english speaking guild so it doesn't bother me terribly. Will have to see if get into larger group activities.

what i find down right ignorant is the way these KIDS talk 2 ppl in general chat when sum1 types in a diff language....being hateful and verbally abusive to sum1 just cus thery dont speak english is absolutly dissrespectful...last i checked "Tomb of Freedom nadd" server is a european server and europe isnt all english...so who do these kids think they are talking to?

if u dont like the language being typed on general which is a PUBLIC chat then disable it or log off...cus we dont want ignorant kiddies spamming the chat with the usual "ENGLISH PLS OR ****"...and then the non english speaking person apoligises...dont apoligies..its your right to be w/e nationality u are and speak w/e language u speak...pay no mind to the ignorant kids..they should go back to WoW or wherever they feel that behavior is acceptable :)

***Rant over*** ***respect & equality for all***

QQmOaR

Hmm. Well, if sentence structure and grammar are any indicator, I'd say the only child here is you "BigBoyQQ". I also find it highly ironic that someone with "QQ" in their name is on here q_q'ing about general chat (of all things).

yeah! Don't they know who you think you are?!

More irony: You say respect and equality for all, but you're disrespecting people who play WoW for some reason. Not sure why so many people seem to have such a negative view of the game - There is really nothing wrong with it or the people who play it. In fact, I'm 95% certain I'd rather play this game with anyone from WoW than you.

I am English, from England and I have been so lazy I speak no other language. Shame on me.

But I am of the opinion that General chat can be in any language you want, what is the problem if it is in Polish and you cannot read it, it wasnt meant for you. I doubt the Polish are plotting anything.

Of course if you need help then English is probably going to attract a wider audience so its in your best interest to speak it if you can.

Regardless if your speaking English or not if your having a private conversation over chat your just anoying people, why not take it to a private channel?

Lets all live and let live, remember in reality if this was a real space thing, you wouldnt understand everyone