what is to be done about non-english on english servers?

necrotura

Actually im Danish and I play MMORPGs because it would sux being entitled to only my own nationality.

Infact my post has nothing to do with queue differences. The reason I talked about people flodding the UK servers were for another reason.

I encourage different nationalities playing together. Infact my guild has people from all around the world :)

But I still think its considered respectful and common courtesy to speak English in public rooms, since English is the international language. And the servers we play on do say "English" :)

-Z

Edit: To answer your last remark: You are connecting dots that are not there and accusing me on a behalf I have never mentioned anything about. I find your post quite provoking and I feel it is an obvious attempt to try and enrage me.

You arent wrong, you havent mentioned it... but it is all too evident from what you say.

Edited by leehambly

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not arent wrong, you havent mentioned it... but it is all too evident from what you say.

Yup im going to leave. You are accusing me of things that im not even saying.

its like im saying that my car is nice and you reply that im saying cake sux.

Frankly it doesnt make any sense.

-Z

Hello

my question is :

on the EU English servers we have a problem of people not speaking English and thinking it is their right not to speak English on a clearly marked ENGLISH server.

i don't mind a bit here and there but when general is spammed full with it,well its just down right disrespectful

so Bio, what are the plans to combat this problem ?

Are you for real? They most certainly do have the right to speak whatever language they want on whatever server they choose to play on. If you don't like it use the /ignore button.

I wonder how do those who cannot write and understand English even accept rules of EA when they do not understand them clearly...

It is against logic to play the game if you do not know the language that is used for game rules/forums/tooltips

Basically whoever cannot speak English has high chances of not knowing the game fully thus MOST LIKELY being a worse player than the guy who can speak it and write and whatever.

Are you for real? They most certainly do have the right to speak whatever language they want on whatever server they choose to play on. If you don't like it use the /ignore button.

Really?

So when you come to England you speak in fhsjfhsjf language because you can when you want to get something from the information?

its called ENGLISH SERVER and GMs should start giving temp bans for people using anything else but ENGLISH on ENGLISH servers...

How can you play and understand the game if you cannot write English? or French/German for the point.

How can you understand and actually accept Rules of EA and BW....

Speak in ALL CAPS and wave your arms a lot

It's what us American's do, wherever they don't speak good language

(note the singular term is intentional)

Gz on proving your flawed way of thinking... I am from European country and i am not ignorant enough to ''spam'' general chat in my own language but use common english for communication ESPECIALLY in general chat

It has something to do with manners

@OP

I don't mind people speaking different language in General chat, there is space for everybody, although I'd prefer them to speak English so everybody can understand, at least in global chats.

Anyhow, I barely saw anybody speaking a different language even though my server is populated by people coming from all around Europe. But ofc this changes depending on the server.

This is really a non-problem IMHO, maybe you simply ended up in the wrong server, try changing.

"All the English servers ARE OFFICIAL UK Servers"

ahah what?

making yer country proud, aye? or not xD ahah

dear glorious and proud Brit guys, you wouldn't even fill 2 servers

Edited by Pwnzie

what i find down right ignorant is the way these KIDS talk 2 ppl in general chat when sum1 types in a diff language....being hateful and verbally abusive to sum1 just cus thery dont speak english is absolutly dissrespectful...last i checked "Tomb of Freedom nadd" server is a european server and europe isnt all english...so who do these kids think they are talking to?

if u dont like the language being typed on general which is a PUBLIC chat then disable it or log off...cus we dont want ignorant kiddies spamming the chat with the usual "ENGLISH PLS OR ****"...and then the non english speaking person apoligises...dont apoligies..its your right to be w/e nationality u are and speak w/e language u speak...pay no mind to the ignorant kids..they should go back to WoW or wherever they feel that behavior is acceptable :)

***Rant over*** ***respect & equality for all***

QQmOaR

I speak:

Dutch

English

French

what do i speak in Public General Chat on a European English Oficial Language server? ENGLISH.

jsut because the server is in Europe does not mean you can spam thaqt gibberisch all day long in general chat were 90% of the people can't read what your saying and clogging up the chat window thats meant for usefull stuff.

if you want to gibber jabber in your language make a channel for it. your reverse reasoning is bad.

just because you and your mates want to gibber jabber in that language of yours does not give you the right to spam the entire general chatbox with your nonesence, cause you're anoying a way bigger group then you and your chatpartner represent.

aka english in public channel and what ever teh hell you want to speak in private channels.

Gz on proving your flawed way of thinking... I am from European country and i am not ignorant enough to ''spam'' general chat in my own language but use common english for communication ESPECIALLY in general chat

You have hit the nail on the head, hats off to you :)

Hello

my question is :

on the EU English servers we have a problem of people not speaking English and thinking it is their right not to speak English on a clearly marked ENGLISH server.

i don't mind a bit here and there but when general is spammed full with it,well its just down right disrespectful

so Bio, what are the plans to combat this problem ?

They clearly are not speaking to you and it's not a problem even if you try making it one. People have the right to speak whatever language they choose and I'm sure they aren't talking about you, so you should just ignore them. If you can't learn to ignore people who speak a different language online, then perhaps you should not be playing a game in an online environment. This is a global game and it doesn't matter where the servers are located, people are going to go to whatever server they wish and it's their right to do so since they had to pay for the game, too.

So basically - you just need to mind your own business and if you can't use the /ignore function maybe you shouldn't be online. :rolleyes:

when i chose a English server on a mmorpg i wanted to play with others who speak English

but what do i get?

most of the time i am in exile as none speak English

and to the 'oh they can do as they please'

ignorant

English server so speak it

and by the way i am not from English so don't try to hate on them

gotta like when "aunt-racism" becomes racism

I am on Veela a North American Server home to many French Canadians as there are no French NA servers. Its funny how many people tell them to go to a EU server.

I am a bit surprised there is not a spanish NA server but hey maybe with time.

I have no problem with it but it does clutter up the chats a bit more.

Yup im going to leave. You are accusing me of things that im not even saying.

its like im saying that my car is nice and you reply that im saying cake sux.

Frankly it doesnt make any sense.

-Z

OK... fair play my previous post contained a typo.. "not" rather than "you".. it is changed now and should make sense.. it was getting late.

Anyway... my point stands: you might not realise what you are revealing, but if you read back through your posts it is all too clear... you reveal in the last couple that the reason why you dont like these guys that dont speak english is because they have decided to come to "your server" and select it as some "unofficial" server... so it isnt the language, is it? It's the crowd. Be honest with yourself at the very least.

Get over it.. dont like it, move!

I think hes being sarcastic, like when we British are abroad, we never bother to learn your language and we just shout louder and wave our arms about showing you no respect.

I speak:

Dutch

English

French

what do i speak in Public General Chat on a European English Oficial Language server? ENGLISH.

jsut because the server is in Europe does not mean you can spam thaqt gibberisch all day long in general chat were 90% of the people can't read what your saying and clogging up the chat window thats meant for usefull stuff.

if you want to gibber jabber in your language make a channel for it. your reverse reasoning is bad.

just because you and your mates want to gibber jabber in that language of yours does not give you the right to spam the entire general chatbox with your nonesence, cause you're anoying a way bigger group then you and your chatpartner represent.

aka english in public channel and what ever teh hell you want to speak in private channels.

I speak

> English

> French

> German

> Spanish

> Portuguese

> Dutch

> Turkish

And no i do not have a problem that people speak, chinese, japanese, russian and whatever... you cannot expect in the whole EU that all speak english so be tolerant.

You know here in germany there are strickt laws about this kind of thing, funny thing tho, if you stop someone to speak in their native language , or try to prohibit it, the lawyers here have their fun with you.

I simply can't understand this lack of tolerance for other people.

Not all of us speak english, so deal with it and be civil.

It is silly to expect people to use only English when there is no server for their language. I speak English very well but I prefer to use my native language when I relax in free time.

If you see some person speaking non English, why is it bothersome to you? Imagine you are on alien planet where many people speak languages you do not know. We are after all playing a game and pretend to be aliens and jedi.

Anyway does any one know if there is "official" Italian server now? I would to play on primarily Italian server so I do not have to deal with people telling me to speak English. It is very annoying.

Well they not have to do anything against it...it's Europe after all and there are more languages then english/french and german but having a server for all languages seems a bit silly.

I as non-english person prefer to roam english server anyway, you might pick up some new words and get to know a new language.

So if sometimes someone speak in their own language .../idc ....however if it becomes pretty much something as a for example unoffcial Greek server (Aion-Telemachus anyone ?) and they simply refuse to make an own channel and keep flooding general chat I might end up ignoring 80% of the population...

So yes, speaking own language...fine..just dont flood the chat with it.

I am sure that in time it will sort itself out and most players of different language groups will all migrate together. Give it time, or learn their language. I learned English in under 3 weeks. I guess that why us Scandinavians call it a caveman language.

The servers are for Europe. So not just for UK. This means that everyone who is not either french or german, will roll of them.

And the fact that they are English servers doesnt mean that english is mandatory. It means that english is the most common language used on that server.

I can understand how having a 500 russian league on your sever can make the chat look funny. ;). But what the OP is asking is just.. stupid. English is not Europe's language. Its just the most used - because its the simplest of all.

So grow a pair and stop complaining about the chat. As others have suggested, you can /ignore them or just ignore the conversation. Dont know on what server you're on, but on mine the General chat was never that captivating to start with. So if some speak there in a language I dont understand, I do what I already do with most of the general chat: i ignore it.

Edited by HolyGigi

German here playing in an international guild with english guildchat.

I think most of the comments are voicing concerns about having another Warsong. Ironically both the EU and the US Warsong were invaded by a language community (BR and RU)

When a language community reaches critical mass it automatically assumes that a new person person they meet speaks the same language. This gets bad when the english speaker automatically feels like an outsider. Any former american Warsong player can tell you horror-stories about LOLBR.

The server I play on has a language community (Hungarian) but it is pretty small and since they are organized by mainly one website they discourage speaking non-english in general and use chat channels.