what is to be done about non-english on english servers?

necrotura

Hello

my question is :

on the EU English servers we have a problem of people not speaking English and thinking it is their right not to speak English on a clearly marked ENGLISH server.

i don't mind a bit here and there but when general is spammed full with it,well its just down right disrespectful

so Bio, what are the plans to combat this problem ?

Is fairly simple.. if you dont understand the text, then the message probably isnt for you. Of course it is their right to speak whatever language they choose... and it is your right to addignore or just simply ignore it.

You guys really have to wind your necks in over this.. waaaay too much time being spent in game and in forum over this, when you should be playing the game.

What does it matter to you? Come up with one relevant decent response to that and you may have a point... I'm yet to see one here or in game. Sort yourselves out.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This also explains the reason why LoL and TOFN are overloaded with 1000+ queue. Because they are listed as Unofficial UK servers so people want to stay there because its English speaking.

BioWare, I beg you. Do something about this :/

-Z

Is fairly simple.. if you dont understand the text, then the message probably isnt for you. Of course it is their right to speak whatever language they choose... and it is your right to addignore or just simply ignore it.

You guys really have to wind your necks in over this.. waaaay too much time being spent in game and in forum over this, when you should be playing the game.

What does it matter to you? Come up with one relevant decent response to that and you may have a point... I'm yet to see one here or in game. Sort yourselves out.

Because no one wants to be on the unofficial Russian/Czech/Polish/Italian server unless they are from that country or speak the language.

Its a reason why the Unofficial UK servers are so flodded they have over 1k+ queue's. It's because the majority want to be on English Speaking servers :)

No im not a racist, I just preffer to be part of a server community I actually understand.

-Z

Americans (and yes I am American) and hell even people who speak English as the 1st language feel they are entitled to anything and everything including that EVERYONE speak their language. It is nonsense most are even ignorant enough to go to another country and demand that English be spoken to them. Get over yourself people, if you don't like what language you are hearing and don't understand it, learn it or ignore it. It is a very simple solution, and does not require that BioWare "fix" the fact that people are speaking English on an "English" server. Who cares if they chose and English server to hear their quests in, maybe that is easier to understand for them but that does not mean they speak it well enough to talk in general or any other channel without people trolling them about their horrible English and still harassing them. They are allowed to speak whatever that hell language they choose, there is no law that says you MUST speak English or get banned.

Americans (and yes I am American) and hell even people who speak English as the 1st language feel they are entitled to anything and everything including that EVERYONE speak their language. It is nonsense most are even ignorant enough to go to another country and demand that English be spoken to them. Get over yourself people, if you don't like what language you are hearing and don't understand it, learn it or ignore it. It is a very simple solution, and does not require that BioWare "fix" the fact that people are speaking English on an "English" server. Who cares if they chose and English server to hear their quests in, maybe that is easier to understand for them but that does not mean they speak it well enough to talk in general or any other channel without people trolling them about their horrible English and still harassing them. They are allowed to speak whatever that hell language they choose, there is no law that says you MUST speak English or get banned.

Gospel right here.

Seriously does someone speaking french bug someone so much?

I'm more offended by the people who spout racial slurs and then go "it's just a word don't give it a power lulz" and would rather read spanish than some ignorant twits opinion.

Who cares if they don't speak YOUR language. Who are YOU to determine what a person speaks or says in general chat. It's no skin off your nose, and I'll flat out say it.

Some of your xenophobias are showing so hard right now in this thread.

Im not a racist and I respect other languages.

However its still considered polite behavior to speak the international language (English) in public rooms on English servers.

its the same on German servers: People speak german for obvious reasons.

And why do you think the Unofficial UK servers are overflodded? Thats right, most people preffer English Speaking servers.

No I do not agree with racist comments in general chat, and I do not act like that, however I do believe that I can request public chats to be within certain rulesets.

If this is such a big problem I think BioWare should create some servers called "European Servers" where people can speak whatever language they want.

There isnt any fun in being a part of a server community you cant understand because everyone speaks their native tongue :)

I want the ability to join an english speaking server so that I can be part of a community which I can communicate with.

-Z

Im not a racist and I respect other languages.

However its still considered polite behavior to speak the international language (English) in public rooms on English servers.

its the same on German servers: People speak german for obvious reasons.

And why do you think the Unofficial UK servers are overflodded? Thats right, most people preffer English Speaking servers.

No I do not agree with racist comments in general chat, and I do not act like that, however I do believe that I can request public chats to be within certain rulesets.

If this is such a big problem I think BioWare should create some servers called "European Servers" where people can speak whatever language they want.

There isnt any fun in being a part of a server community you cant understand because everyone speaks their native tongue :)

I want the ability to join an english speaking server so that I can be part of a community which I can communicate with.

-Z

You have actually hit the nail on the head yourself... ^^

As an english speaker, you should appreciate that a part is not a whole. Being a part of a community means taking the whole community and getting involved.. not expecting everyone in that community to be like yourself. Sack up.

Edited by leehambly

The point is if you do not understand English language how can you hope to play the game at all...

I think its MAINLY being ignorant.

If you cannot speak english or above all understand english (and whoever fully understands english also in 99.9% knows how to write ''readable'' english) should not be playing the game in the 1st place since its useless if they dont understand story.

I mean hell i am from a country once called Yugoslavia where we have spoken Serbo-Croatian and now i speak Slovenian and i still manage to learn German, English and even understand czech and some Russian and Spanish(but only barely)

For me its very ignorant and immature if you do not understand English/German/French ... and claim how you are from Europe.

Its the 3 most spoken languages and most used in European union and it is only fair to use it... we simply cannot use all 27 languages or even more from Europe. Its a ridiculous thought.

So bottom line is Learn english or dont type general and whisper. Hell I am even so polite i talked english with my NATIVE REAL LIFE FRIEND on Teamspeak when other people join TS.

Its only fair dont be a douche.

You have actually hit the nail on the head yourself... ^^

As an english speaker, you should appreciate that a part is not a whole. Being a part of a community means taking the whole community and getting involved.. not expecting everyone in that community to be like yourself. Sack up.

Example

Men det er da alligevel ret træls når folk forventer alle andre snakker deres eget sprog når man bør snakke engelsk til hinanden, ikke? :)

Det ville også være meget nemmere at snakke et sprog vi alle kan forstå. Tænk hvis vi alle skrev på vores eget sprog på dette forum også? Så kunne vi jo slet ikke snakke sammen!

You speak English so you can communicate. How would you speak on this forum if everyone would type in their native tongue? :)

I respect that you dont see this as a problem, but I do think that, when you are in the public room, you should speak a language that most people understand. English is the international language and one of the most spoken languages in the world.

Its just mutual respect to other people to speak a language they can understand. Communication require the ability to understand.

No i am not a racist. I respect nationalities but really.

The most logic thing would be to create a [insert Language] Channel for that language only or form a guild with people from your own country. This way you can speak your language freely with likeminded people, but a public room is something else.

Just like you wouldnt run around nude in a public room, but you are perfecly free to do so in private rooms :)

(And no you cant just run around nude telling people to sack up)

Finally I find it a little provoking you twisted my response to your liking. Could you not do that? :)

Obviously the best solution would be for BioWare to create "English EU Servers" and "Free EU Servers". Then people can do what they preffer and everyone will be happy :)

-Z

Edited by Zlashie

Example

Men det er da alligevel ret træls når folk forventer alle andre snakker deres eget sprog når man bør snakke engelsk til hinanden, ikke? :)

Det ville også være meget nemmere at snakke et sprog vi alle kan forstå. Tænk hvis vi alle skrev på vores eget sprog på dette forum også? Så kunne vi jo slet ikke snakke sammen!

You speak English so you can communicate. How would you speak on this forum if everyone would type in their native tongue? :)

I respect that you dont see this as a problem, but I do think that, when you are in the public room, you should speak a language that most people understand. English is the international language and one of the most spoken languages in the world.

Its just mutual respect to other people to speak a language they can understand. Communication require the ability to understand.

No i am not a racist. I respect nationalities but really.

The most logic thing would be to create a [insert Language] Channel for that language only or form a guild with people from your own country. This way you can speak your language freely with likeminded people, but a public room is something else.

Just like you wouldnt run around nude in a public room, but you are perfecly free to do so in private rooms :)

(And no you cant just run around nude telling people to sack up)

Finally I find it a little provoking you twisted my response to your liking. Could you not do that? :)

Obviously the best solution would be for BioWare to create "English EU Servers" and "Free EU Servers". Then people can do what they preffer and everyone will be happy :)

-Z

Men det er det punkt, de ikke ønsker at tale til dig ... lad dem være, det gør du ikke skade!

Google Translate might "translate" a sentence but it hardly makes it understandable :)

Touché mate... and that's french for you. My point is taken though, right? If you REALLY feel the need to understand some comment on a chatboard that isnt intended for you, you can.

Touché mate... and that's french for you. My point is taken though, right? If you REALLY feel the need to understand some comment on a chatboard that isnt intended for you, you can.

By the way I never asked for everyone to be like me.

Im asking BioWare to create different kinds of servers. So that people who preffer 100% English Speaking servers have a place to go.

Countries like Italy, Czech and Russia are claiming English servers as "their server". Its hardly even possible ensuring you get on a server with your personal preffrences.

People are different. Servers should support that. This way you can play on a server you like and I can play on a server I like. No problem right?

-Z

By the way I never asked for everyone to be like me.

Im asking BioWare to create different kinds of servers. So that people who preffer 100% English Speaking servers have a place to go.

Countries like Italy, Czech and Russia are claiming English servers as "their server". Its hardly even possible ensuring you get on a server with your personal preffrences.

People are different. Servers should support that. This way you can play on a server you like and I can play on a server I like. No problem right?

-Z

Servers do support different people... its you that is demanding to understand every single comment... maybe sometimes people dont want everyone to understand a comment.

It's not about getting people to like you, its about letting people play the game and play it the way they want to play it. What if they want to RP in Zabrak?

You really need to get over this and move on. It is an utter waste of energy.

Our guild has people from all over Europe (England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg - I am missing some, because I simply do not know them all!) and further afield many from the US (who choose to play on EU servers because of who we are), and even one gamer from Malaysia (and no, not an ex-pat)... and yes, sometimes certain people will use their own language to each other and at times we do have to explain something a little more clearly or less colloquially - and yes, it is usually to the yanks(!!!)... but it never spoils "our game", it is a major part of "our game" - this is actually what the damned thing is all about to many people!

One of the most ultra hard b'stards in SWG was a russian who never a spoke a single word to most people and one of the best and most memorable characters, for me, was a guy who rp'ed single word responses in the style of the Hulk... take it all mate, dont write it off before youve even met them.

Vive la difference!

Edited by leehambly

Servers do support different people... its you that is demanding to understand every single comment... maybe sometimes people dont want everyone to understand a comment.

If you dont want people to understand what you are saying, why announce it in a public channel? :)

Last time I checked we have custom channels, a whisper function and guilds for this exact reason: To keep private messages private to certain groups. Its a reason why Public Channels are Public :)

Im all for diffrences, my guild is a large guild with people from all around the world.

I cant see why its such an issue for you that BioWare could create 2 different servers. It would make both of us happy.

And as always Il finish by saying: I am in no way a racist, but I do believe its common courtesy to speak english in public channels where everyone can read it :)

-Z

So here's my rebuttal If someone wants to speak their own language but has people he knows and plays with on a US server or EU or whatever.

Who are you to determine what he does?

The way I see it, you're trying hard not to paint yourself in a corner but you're asking for common courtesy without giving anything back in return.

"you should do this because it would make us both happy"

No. It would make you happy. You and the the 4chan kids who post n words in chat.

Now I'm not saying you're in league with them, because you seem smarter then that, but really do you WANT to be on their side?

If you dont want people to understand what you are saying, why announce it in a public channel? :)

Last time I checked we have custom channels, a whisper function and guilds for this exact reason: To keep private messages private to certain groups. Its a reason why Public Channels are Public :)

Im all for diffrences, my guild is a large guild with people from all around the world.

I cant see why its such an issue for you that BioWare could create 2 different servers. It would make both of us happy.

And as always Il finish by saying: I am in no way a racist, but I do believe its common courtesy to speak english in public channels where everyone can read it :)

-Z

Yeah, I get it... you keep saying you're not a racist... really dont think anyone is making that assertion.

We already do have the 2 different servers... and the fun thing is they are on one server... it just means you have to ignore the text you dont understand or want to be involved in, in spatial chat - I personally do that all the time.

The reason why it isnt an issue for BW is simply because it isnt an issue for BW... however what appears to be an issue is the small but vocal group of players griefing people in spatial chat about not using "English" and frankly, that is getting to the point of harassment and racism.

Now, your point about these private chat channels... how do these non-english-speakers go about informing others how to use them and that they even exist? Not everyone uses the forums, not everyone is genned up on the game features: this game realistically is barely more than a few hours old... there will be a storming and forming phase... this is what is happening right now.

Anyway, isnt barking exactly the sort of thing spatial chat is about? When we have eradicated the lfg's (which, lets be honest, is what these non-english posts are usually about - and if we stop those posts... we should be fair and stop all of them, right?) and then the lts/wtb... what exactly is left in spatial chat other than inane kids talking about each other's backsides?

Yeah, I get it... you keep saying you're not a racist... really dont think anyone is making that assertion.

We already do have the 2 different servers... and the fun thing is they are on one server... it just means you have to ignore the text you dont understand or want to be involved in, in spatial chat - I personally do that all the time.

The reason why it isnt an issue for BW is simply because it isnt an issue for BW... however what appears to be an issue is the small but vocal group of players griefing people in spatial chat about not using "English" and frankly, that is getting to the point of harassment and racism.

Now, your point about these private chat channels... how do these non-english-speakers go about informing others how to use them and that they even exist? Not everyone uses the forums, not everyone is genned up on the game features: this game realistically is barely more than a few hours old... there will be a storming and forming phase... this is what is happening right now.

Anyway, isnt barking exactly the sort of thing spatial chat is about? When we have eradicated the lfg's (which, lets be honest, is what these non-english posts are usually about - and if we stop those posts... we should be fair and stop all of them, right?) and then the lts/wtb... what exactly is left in spatial chat other than inane kids talking about each other's backsides?

Im going to stop here. I think this is related to other issues.

I keep suggesting that BioWare create multiple types of servers so everyone, both you and me, can get what we want from this game. But you seem to take this as a personal attack of some sort.

By the way, I hardly believe this is a small vocal group. The first 2 servers to get over 1k queue's are the EU Unofficial UK servers. Logically that would say that people would want a place were english is the spoken language :)

Would it really hurt to make some official english only servers for us people that preffer english? :)

And make some Universal Europe servers as well were people are more free to express themselves as they wish :)

Logic doesnt work on the internet tho.

I will respectfully back out and say I do not share your opinion but I do respect it.

Have a good day sir.

-Z

Edited by Zlashie

By the way, I hardly believe this is a small vocal group. The first 2 servers to get over 1k queue's are the EU Unofficial UK servers. Logically that would say that people would want a place were english is the spoken language

- but no one other than a few self appointed misguided individuals signed up for that... All the English servers ARE OFFICIAL UK Servers, basically by definition.. and the servers you are talking about are also "Unofficial Spanish, Italian, Russian, so on and so forth server"... why should the UK get preference when they can go anywhere and be understood?

My guild was placed on one of those servers you speak of... my char is over halfway through the story and I can't play it because of the queue... and now this is getting to the point isnt it:

"These people are in front of me... and I dont like it, how can I get them to move!" Seriously dude, really?

I never said that.

I know... it is what your previous post reveals though. This does confirm that you arent being racist... unfortunately it does show a quite selfish attitude to others in the game, its not right... your grief isnt over languages at all... its about queues and you are simply picking on a few communities on your server because of it. The shame.

Edited by leehambly

I know... it is what your previous post reveals though. This does confirm that you arent being racist... unfortunately it does show a quite selfish attitude to others in the game, its not right... your greif isnt over languages at all.. its about queues and you are simply picking on a few communities on your server because of it. The shame.

Actually im Danish and I play MMORPGs because it would sux being entitled to only my own nationality.

Infact my post has nothing to do with queue differences. The reason I talked about people flodding the UK servers were for another reason.

I encourage different nationalities playing together. Infact my guild has people from all around the world :)

But I still think its considered respectful and common courtesy to speak English in public rooms, since English is the international language. And the servers we play on do say "English" :)

-Z

Edit: To answer your last remark: You are connecting dots that are not there and accusing me on a behalf I have never mentioned anything about. I find your post quite provoking and I feel it is an obvious attempt to try and enrage me.

Edited by Zlashie

this

If it really disturbs you it is up to you, and not bioware to do something about it. Create your own channel or ignore them, they are paying customers and have just as much a right to inhabit this virtual world as you do. Until they have a server created for their native language just learn to deal with it.

BIGOT

In listing the servers as English EU are they not being set aside for native English speakers, English is after all a native language for many. Or is English to be ignored as it is so widely spoken in many countries outside Great Britain; as an English speaker am I not to be given the same right you would advocate for non English speakers? The fault lies squarely at Bioware's feet for not making ample provision for foreign languages, it is not our fault they list so many servers as English EU.

Furthermore, there are also issues not immediately apparent to many, such as that of moderation; how is a GM or moderator to offer support for Languages they may not speak, where do you draw the line on abusive language and the language filter and other terms of service relating to chat abuse. I could easily curse and abuse players all day in Gaelic, or continually post to deliberately spam chat, knowing very few players would understand, how do EA/BW handle that if they are happy to accommodate other languages; the answer is they must draw the line somewhere in favour of the majority on the server.

This is not narrow minded bigotry at issue, but very real problems where language barriers exist, general chat should be exclusive to the language assigned the server, with ample provision for established alternative language channels to accommodate those who may struggle with the servers primary language. Where there is a significant enough population, it is up to the players from a specific country to petition Bioware for a server catering to their own language and offering full GM support in their native tongue.

Anything less will ultimately lead to daily bouts of back and forth bickering about what language should be used in general chat channels, where everybody loses out to the constant spam.