I Miss Georg Zoeller

DarthTHC

I'm pretty convinced this is why the communications occurs via Q&A and the podcast. The community killed the dev interaction.

Any PR dude worth their salt knows when to keep their head down.

There's no mileage in being a target till the 1.3m think blows over and there's some definite new with a positive spin to try and gain some traction with.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does he still work here you think? I miss his insightful posts as well.

His linkedin page has him at bioWare still. For some reason he and Stephen reid show up on my linked in 'people you may know' all the damn time.

He's actually the lead systems guy, so he's probably busy with designing, or redesigning, things for 1.4, 1.5, 2.0 etc. He's also responsible for managing the team, and from what I understand some of the other bioware people have been brought in to help out on TOR so he's probably got a lot to worry about coordinating with them as well.

There hasn't necessarily been a whole lot for him to talk about. There's no 'big systems design' sort of stuff right now, so the specific details seem to be david bass (maybe I have his name wrong, it's something like that).

Maybe just maybe he's working on the game and is letting the PR people do, I don't know, their job so he can do his. They give you updates all the time but they aren't going to give you a daily account of their work. When something worth talking about happens they'll let you know.

and gave us a really good look at how BioWare manages the game,

I need only look at the messy shambles when I log in to see how Bioware manage the game.. Personally I haven't liked some of the get out clauses/spin/attitude GZ has taken with certain aspects of the game... I refer back to my first sentiment :cool:

Edited by Caspian_Rho

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, in this weeks Q&A someone else is answering the questions Georg usually answers.

If he has left SWTOR it is a huge loss.

Georg is an incredibly talented and elegant designer who I've followed since his work on NeverWinter Nights.

Good Luck Georg!

You will be missed.

Alodar :)

Edited by Alodar

His posts were the best in BETA, and I'd rather here from him than anyone, especially community manager/derps

GZ needs to post more for real, especially about PvP...I'm sure he's busy, I'm also sure that they don't let him post a lot because they wanna screen everything for PR purposes, which hasn't been working at all if BW hasn't noticed....

If you go to Ilum alone(how else) at night and turn the music off and listen very carefully, you can actually hear Georg crying in the distance.

You don't even have to turn off the music as there's a good chance that the sound bug already took care of that for you.

Seriously, though, I really do miss Georg. If he didn't make his last post, I would never have known that expertise was important for PvP.

I miss Georg Zoeller as well. He's straight to the point and doesn't care if he's a bit brash. I really, really, really hope he wasn't one of the people affected by the lay-offs (I didn't particularly want to see anyone go, but specifically him leaving would be a good blow indeed.) I think he had his head on straight and loved all of his metrics and economic analysis.

Give us some love and post Georg!

Edited by Theninjafuzz

Georg Zoeller is an amazing asset to BioWare. His posts on the forums have always been spot-on and gave us a really good look at how BioWare manages the game, what they think about, what metrics they use... very cool and interesting stuff.

I miss his posts (he last posted on 20 April). :(

Spot on is not something I think of when I think of his posts. I don't even think he talked to the other developers to get a full understanding about what he was talking about before he posted. I mean just look at some of his posts he did, saying "all purples will be fully moddable in 1.2" and the replying "yes" when asked if he really meant all purples and not just endgame ones, this was obviously false since the ONLY purples that became fully moddable were the ones that were already semi-moddable, that is far from all. Then you have him talking about how we won't be able to reverse engineer orange gear for schematics in 1.2 but most models will become available through new schematics in trade skill missions in 1.2, which obviously was also false since not one person saw a single new orange schematic come from a trade skill mission. All around whenever I see him post I just ignore it now and wait for another developer that knows fully what their talking about to comment on it.

Spot on is not something I think of when I think of his posts. I don't even think he talked to the other developers to get a full understanding about what he was talking about before he posted. I mean just look at some of his posts he did, saying "all purples will be fully moddable in 1.2" and the replying "yes" when asked if he really meant all purples and not just endgame ones, this was obviously false since the ONLY purples that became fully moddable were the ones that were already semi-moddable, that is far from all. Then you have him talking about how we won't be able to reverse engineer orange gear for schematics in 1.2 but most models will become available through new schematics in trade skill missions in 1.2, which obviously was also false since not one person saw a single new orange schematic come from a trade skill mission. All around whenever I see him post I just ignore it now and wait for another developer that knows fully what their talking about to comment on it.

You better hope you're never in a position to be the voice of a group, and the head of a group says, "Tell them this, we're definitely doing it this way."

You tell them they're doing it this way. Suddenly, it launches, and it's actually that way. You're thinking "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!" along with everyone else.

At least GZ has had the class to come back and explain what happened instead of just going silent.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

most models will become available through new schematics in trade skill missions in 1.2, which obviously was also false since not one person saw a single new orange schematic come from a trade skill mission.

IIRC, there was a recentish post where he said that as far as he knew that was still in the pipes, but wasn't sure when it will go live, he had thought 1.2, but he guesses it missed and it'll be 1.3.

Wouldn't be the first time in game development some aspect of a design gets tabled until a later release w/o the designer knowing about it. Which is something to keep in mind. He's (apparently) the designer. Not an engineer, or producer, or QA, or something farther down the pipeline. His descriptions will likely be of the target, not what actually gets hit.