The role of a merc in PVP is what exactly?

tehrealdealz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like the mercenary is what you make out of it. I played pyro tech from level 10 to level 50 and loved it. Then 1.2 came and I realized I was not as effective. I didn't whine about it, I chose to make the best of it. In fact , I chose to make my mercenary a healer and fell in love with the play style. Even though I know that the bodyguards got a nerf after the last patch, it didn't matter to me because I was having fun healing where I was needed. despite not even being 1 of the best healing classes, I was running around finding my niche doing the best I could knowing that I was not gonna be the top and being okay with that. You don't have to be at the top of the list to be successful. Hell, one match I don't even think I was top and I got 7 votes ( and yes I have the pic to prove it :-). I guess what I'm getting at is you need to find yourself what your role is. if you can't fight 1 verse 1 , which I know I can't, then don't put yourself in that situation and travel with the crowd. You don't have to roll the FOTM To have fun.

Just have fun.

So what you're saying is our AC is 1/3 for viable trees, and that we should let BW off the hook by not asking them to make the other two trees at least somewhat competitive?

Ironically- that's the same role all ACs that have heals have to do- you'd have to be insane to take into a ranked premade any ops, merc or sorc that's not heal specced.

Ironically- that's the same role all ACs that have heals have to do- you'd have to be insane to take into a ranked premade any ops, merc or sorc that's not heal specced.

Except that ops and sorc do it better.

The class has dots.

Combustible Gas Cylinder

Activation: 1.5 secs

Loads your blaster with combustible gas, giving all of your blaster attacks a 10% chance to deal 1295 additional elemental damage over 6 seconds. Only one cylinder can be active at a time.

Incendiary Missile

Instant

Heat: 25

Range: 30 m

Fires a missile that explodes on contact, igniting the target for 216 elemental damage and an additional 689 elemental damage over 18 seconds.

Fusion Missile

Activation: 1.5 secs

Heat: 33

Cooldown: 30s

Range: 30 m

Fires a fusion missile that detonates on contact, dealing 1314 - 1773 kinetic damage to up to 3 targets within 5 meters and searing all targets with radiation burns that deal 1944 additional elemental damage over 6 seconds. Standard and weak targets enter a state of panic from the flames.

just because a class has a couple DoTs does not make it a dot class. pyrotech is a single target spike damage spec.

CGC and IM are merely set-up tools for using rail shot. the vast majority of pyrotech damage comes from thermal detonator, rail shot, power shot and unload. all of which are single target abilities.

My role is usually dictated by the group I end up with:

With a decent team I'm pure support, throwing kolto bubbles and heals all over the place, stunning healers and blasting people around the arena with the jetpack.

Against the suicide kill farm groups I throw some heals on my team until I get focused by several enemies then I take them for a trek around the arena usually leaving my entire team with half a team to fight. It's amazing how focused people get on dropping a merc. With my kolto residue, shield, hots and cleanse I takes a while to drop me.

Against the noob team full of lowbies I just take my time enjoying the few moments of power I feel on a merc, fire the dots into a group and start blasting fools with my twin beauties.

With a noob/lowbie team against a decent group I just accept I'm gonna get farmed, not much I can do about it but make them earn the kills or mess up their day disrupting stuff.

With a decent team I'm pure support, throwing kolto bubbles and heals all over the place, stunning healers and blasting people around the arena with the jetpack.

Against the suicide kill farm groups I throw some heals on my team until I get focused by several enemies then I take them for a trek around the arena usually leaving my entire team with half a team to fight. It's amazing how focused people get on dropping a merc. With my kolto residue, shield, hots and cleanse I takes a while to drop me.

Against the noob team full of lowbies I just take my time enjoying the few moments of power I feel on a merc, fire the dots into a group and start blasting fools with my twin beauties.

With a noob/lowbie team against a decent group I just accept I'm gonna get farmed, not much I can do about it but make them earn the kills or mess up their day disrupting stuff.

Could you post some video?

This is exactly my point. Make the best with what you got. There are some matches you will feel powerful and the life of the party and some that make you feel helpless and alone. Find your niche in each match and master it.

Ummm i have a guild buddy who owns pretty much every AC in this game with his merc

he pulls amazing damage / killing blows and is always the top of the chart.

what cracks me up is everyone out there screaming for buffs for his class which he is an absolute beast at.

go on buff the merc your just going to make him even more powerful and he can continue to laugh while steamrolling you all.

The question you all should be asking yourselves is why can some players in wz's do it and not yourself.

Noone cares that your guildie is rolling a bunch've scrubs in 1-49.

DPS/Arsenal Mercs are pretty much the worst PvP class, by themselves... if you wanted to PvP as a BH, shoulda went Pyro...

F U Bioware!

-Arsenal Merc

(at least we're #3-4ish in PvE DPS!!!)

Edited by -Kraxis-

Could you post some video?

It'd be pretty dull to watch specially on my server, been in a queue for 40mins so any matches are gonna be poorly balanced ones against a mad geared premade. Last match I played my team had a consular on it..not a shadow or sage, a consular with training stick.

merc dps is fine in pvp. spec into pyrotech and learn the class.

Or roll a pt and do it better, or any other dps class.

Ive seen your vids, and the people on your server are idiots, just letting you stand there.

People on my server actually knows how to lock down merc/commandos

pyro is better then arsenal though, but dont use the "its not a pvp spec" card. nowhere have bw said its not.

Ummm i have a guild buddy who owns pretty much every AC in this game with his merc

what cracks me up is everyone out there screaming for buffs for his class which he is an absolute beast at.

go on buff the merc your just going to make him even more powerful and he can continue to laugh while steamrolling you all.

The question you all should be asking yourselves is why can some players in wz's do it and not yourself.

That's a cool story of someone else. You should ask your bud what he thinks. Believe it or not, he's not the only one who can wreck faces with any class he plays. It's called skill bro, and it can't be nerfed.

But to the OP, dude I did the same thing you did lol. I love my PT tank, but it just pisses me off even more when I switch back onto my Merc War Hero and get Marauder'd by Fotm re-rollers. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind being a dps bot, but I think my teammates would like some utility from me. Hell, a timely mezz would be nice. Guess I'll just grind gear again for my PT and hope they give me a reason to go back to my main.

No, I didn't. No wonder you can't figure out when you're whining. You honestly don't know the difference.

I don't really take anything you post too seriously, because you have already made far more QQ threads/posts than I will ever make. A shadow/assassin still crying about healers post 1.2.

Or roll a pt and do it better, or any other dps class.

Ive seen your vids, and the people on your server are idiots, just letting you stand there.

People on my server actually knows how to lock down merc/commandos

pyro is better then arsenal though, but dont use the "its not a pvp spec" card. nowhere have bw said its not.

youve seen my videos? cool cuz i havent seen them yet :eek:

perhaps you are thinking of someone else..... ive posted one video of a warzone.

hate to break it to you, but 99% of the people on all servers are idiots who just let you stand there. and seeing as how i have to cast abilities, i kinda have to stand there.

mercenary has a lot of weaknesses. it also has a lot of strengths. pyrotech is fine for pvp, with enough mobility to make a hit-and-run playstyle work very well

youve seen my videos? cool cuz i havent seen them yet :eek:

perhaps you are thinking of someone else..... ive posted one video of a warzone.

hate to break it to you, but 99% of the people on all servers are idiots who just let you stand there. and seeing as how i have to cast abilities, i kinda have to stand there.

mercenary has a lot of weaknesses. it also has a lot of strengths. pyrotech is fine for pvp, with enough mobility to make a hit-and-run playstyle work very well

I must be on the only server with capable players, or they hate me enough to dissengage from their current target and all come storming for me. Maybe i should take that as a compliment

LOL.

This guy meant to say he was playing Knights of the Old Republic single player not SWTOR MMO.

If we had an interrupt and a single target snare we'd be fine, pulling high numbers with insane burst (7k+ inside of a GCD if timed right) but just can't control or stop people casting often enough. This is as Assault (pyro for you mercs). Thats also in heal gear - gotten 650k in a couple warzones before. Edited by cerberias

I must be on the only server with capable players, or they hate me enough to dissengage from their current target and all come storming for me. Maybe i should take that as a compliment

good players will recognize who poses a big threat if left alone to free cast, and they will pressure you.

i find that if i kill a healer a couple of times the other team smartens up and tries to force me on the defensive, and then i have to work some LoS magic to stay on my target effectively.

i also try to stay near the maximum range so that im not in the thick of the fighting; its easier to stay alive on the edges, people dont seem to notice you as much

If we had an interrupt and a single target snare we'd be fine, pulling high numbers with insane burst (7k+ inside of a GCD if timed right) but just can't control or stop people casting often enough. This is as Assault (pyro for you mercs). Thats also in heal gear - gotten 650k in a couple warzones before.

Did you do that post-1.2?