The role of a merc in PVP is what exactly?

tehrealdealz

Was doing my pvp daily/weeklies on my Pyro Merc and Pyro Vanguard and after a couple of matches on my merc was starting to wonder what exactly is the role of a merc in PVP and what will the role of a merc be when rated wzs come if they come at all.

For example, on my vanguard I can interrupt a healer if I have to. I can harpoon a ball carrier into one of the hazards in huttball or use it to peel for my healer. I can switch to Ion Gas cylinder for a bit and throw guard on someone to protect them. I can AOE taunt and reduce the damage of enemy players or single player taunt as well.

On my merc, I can....do poor damage?

Dont get me wrong i enjoy my merc cause he's my first level 50 toon and I am still gearing him up for rated WZs but it just seems like my vanguard brings a lot more to the table in PVP.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was doing my pvp daily/weeklies on my Pyro Merc and Pyro Vanguard and after a couple of matches on my merc was starting to wonder what exactly is the role of a merc in PVP and what will the role of a merc be when rated wzs come if they come at all.

For example, on my vanguard I can interrupt a healer if I have to. I can harpoon a ball carrier into one of the hazards in huttball or use it to peel for my healer. I can switch to Ion Gas cylinder for a bit and throw guard on someone to protect them. I can AOE taunt and reduce the damage of enemy players or single player taunt as well.

Dont get me wrong i enjoy my merc cause he's my first level 50 toon and I am still gearing him up for rated WZs but it just seems like my vanguard brings a lot more to the table in PVP.

A Merc is just a Target dummy just now :D

Ummm i have a guild buddy who owns pretty much every AC in this game with his merc

he pulls amazing damage / killing blows and is always the top of the chart.

what cracks me up is everyone out there screaming for buffs for his class which he is an absolute beast at.

go on buff the merc your just going to make him even more powerful and he can continue to laugh while steamrolling you all.

The question you all should be asking yourselves is why can some players in wz's do it and not yourself.

Ummm i have a guild buddy who owns pretty much every AC in this game with his merc

he pulls amazing damage / killing blows and is always the top of the chart.

what cracks me up is everyone out there screaming for buffs for his class which he is an absolute beast at.

go on buff the merc your just going to make him even more powerful and he can continue to laugh while steamrolling you all.

The question you all should be asking yourselves is why can some players in wz's do it and not yourself.

\

your server must be full of nub sauce.

anyway the role of the merc/mando is to heal. get used to it. the dps output (besides mopping up noobs with "gunnery spec") is garbage. I out dps pyro/assult on my combat medic if i want to, and the channeling for gunnery is a joke.

Learn to heal, and they will love you. Learn to heal, and they will fear you.

uh your 1 of most damaging single target dps in the game?

PS, your not doing single target damage if the target is shooting back at you... Hitting a target dummy sure.... but we all know fighting people that know how to actually pvp you dont stand a chance.

\

your server must be full of nub sauce.

anyway the role of the merc/mando is to heal. get used to it. the dps output (besides mopping up noobs with "gunnery spec") is garbage. I out dps pyro/assult on my combat medic if i want to, and the channeling for gunnery is a joke.

Learn to heal, and they will love you. Learn to heal, and they will fear you.

It certainly appears to be.

I do find it interesting that good players excel in whatever class they play (what an interesting correlation)

The point still stands however.

Edited by Odahviin

Enough with the blatant whining. Stop acting like kids and have a real discussion.

Merc's are probably supposed to be the ranged aoe dps class. Death from above should have never been nerfed, and they definitely need some improved defensive/escape cooldowns.

Hoping to see some improvements in 1.3.

Edited by Ahhmyface

Enough with the blatant whining. Stop acting like kids and have a real discussion.

Merc's are probably supposed to be the ranged aoe dps class. Death from above should have never been nerfed, and they definitely need some improved defensive/escape cooldowns.

Hoping to see some improvements in 1.3.

You just whined, sir.

The role of merc currently is to die as fast as humanely possible. Merc DPS is a liability currently; don't even que with one.

Mercs are cannon fodder - Pyro Mercs can get high damage due to dots - but in PVP burst is king - especially instant cast burst. Some Pyros can get about 4k on a TD, have yet to see one get higher yet. Edited by Serpieri

Mercs are cannon fodder - Pyro Mercs can get high damage due to dots - but in PVP burst is king - especially instant cast burst. Some Pyros can get about 4k on a TD, have yet to see one get higher yet.

pyrotech is NOT a dot spec. not sure why people think this still........

pyrotech is NOT a dot spec. not sure why people think this still........

The class has dots.

Combustible Gas Cylinder

Activation: 1.5 secs

Loads your blaster with combustible gas, giving all of your blaster attacks a 10% chance to deal 1295 additional elemental damage over 6 seconds. Only one cylinder can be active at a time.

Incendiary Missile

Instant

Heat: 25

Range: 30 m

Fires a missile that explodes on contact, igniting the target for 216 elemental damage and an additional 689 elemental damage over 18 seconds.

Fusion Missile

Activation: 1.5 secs

Heat: 33

Cooldown: 30s

Range: 30 m

Fires a fusion missile that detonates on contact, dealing 1314 - 1773 kinetic damage to up to 3 targets within 5 meters and searing all targets with radiation burns that deal 1944 additional elemental damage over 6 seconds. Standard and weak targets enter a state of panic from the flames.

DPS Support, sit back

\

So what you're saying is our AC is 1/3 for viable trees, and that we should let BW off the hook by not asking them to make the other two trees at least somewhat competitive?