Cross-servers Zone/Cities

Convael

I was just reading up on a certain game *cough*(not going to be discussed here ) which has just announced a system of cross realm Zone/Cities for players of the lesser population to meet with the others.

Immediately the idea got in my mind, could we have the same thing for SWTOR ?

The developers promised to have a group finder system for flashpoints ,but there are heroic quests outside and would require groups to do it. The server I was on was so dead that I would be lucky to find someone to clear the 'End of torvix' in blackhole once a week.

If any developer is reading this , not to urge you to implement this system right away , would you kindly discuss the idea of having cross server cities / zones for the less populated server with your team ?

Edited by Convael

Games that have these features tend to have more lag as everyone jams on to the busiest one they can find and two alot of crap naming conventions.

This is a Bad Idea.

Not if they can adjust how many realms and which area that can be connected with accordingly.

Which according the developer of that game, they can keep track of that with the system .

And that game has more servers and far more players than swtor .

so my fleet would be populated but the rest of the "Galaxy" would still be a ghost town? how does this fix anything?

Fleet is usually the most populated zone Which Obviously does not need be a Cross server zone.

And you rarely get any non flash points quest on Fleet that require groups to finish. If its a flashpoint quest they will have a group finder system for it.

On a half dead servers, we only have like 5-10 players on peak time on zones like Corelia / Black hole.

Those are the places we could use x-realm thing.

Games that have these features tend to have more lag as everyone jams on to the busiest one they can find and two alot of crap naming conventions.

This is a Bad Idea.

Why, just don't pick the busiest one if you don't want to be with alot of people.

The future of mmos, no set servers.

I agree... I've put it in other posts, but ideally there would be no server just instaces of those zones... Fleet_001 to Fleet_120 or whatever.... have the zones with a soft cap of whatever say 100 people with a hard cap of 50% that.. you can click on the map and move to whatever instance of it you want.

If you go to zone into an area and the soft cap is reached, it creates a new instance of that area. You can still switch to a zone that hasn't reached the hard cap... the worst case scenario is what you start by being in a zone with only 5 people... oh wait that's how it is now :(

Edited by Drakkip

AOC had it, it was not really good and one of the only things that I didnt like over there.

It suxx if you want to play with friends but they cant come to you, because the zone is full. Or if the only zone with resources is camped by a guild and you cant get in etc.

Or imagine, you want to raid a world boss and you have 20 players and none of the zones has 20 spots... this suxx. You can cancel your raid then.

Edited by RachelAnne

AOC had it, it was not really good and one of the only things that I didnt like over there.

It suxx if you want to play with friends but they cant come to you, because the zone is full. Or if the only zone with resources is camped by a guild and you cant get in etc.

I dabble with a few asian based mmo's and when the channel my friends are in are full (and I'm unable to join them) we just all jump to another channel that's not full...?

edit: I just saw your edit. None of the (asian mmo) games I play had world bosses that weren't instanced in it's own zone but I can see your point *if* the game has world bosses, like Swtor does I suppose.

The way it works in mop beta at the moment though, it's not channels per se. It's almost like phasing? I'm not a computer person so it's hard for me to explain. I had no idea they were implementing this through out the servers. It's pretty brilliant imo. Merge the population without the headaches of merging the the servers. I'm sure they will have growing pains (ie world bosses like you said) but I am stoked to have loads of people around making the game feel alive.

I hope swtor does something similar, the game is/was amazing at release with zillions of people everywhere.

Edited by Barleigh

Or imagine, you want to raid a world boss and you have 20 players and none of the zones has 20 spots... this suxx. You can cancel your raid then.

Have an option for the raid leader to {Open new instance] for the entire raid, and limit players to only being elegible for loot one a raid boss once per day or week or whatever limitation they want to put on world bosses

If instances start dropping below certain population merge them with a 5 minute warning or something so people can choose to move or be "zoned" in 5 minutes to combine low pop instances... give a countdown like a server shutdown...

AOC had it

Nope, AFAIK Age of Conan does not have it... yet. TSW has it, but they will bringe single server technology to AoC at a later point, probably later this summer.

The faction cities in TSW are cross server (cross realm) as well as the open world. But if you jump into 16vs16 or 100vs100 warzones, it´s of course limited a.k.a. instanced

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

They just need to add the ability to add a cross-server buddy list, this way if you find players you love playing through a cross-server LFG you can continue to play with them.

They already have that.

And I think it's a great idea. Everything needs to be cross-server, then these games will actually be MMO's.

Edited by chaosdefined

I was just reading up on a certain game *cough*(not going to be discussed here ) which has just announced a system of cross realm Zone/Cities for players of the lesser population to meet with the others.

Immediately the idea got in my mind, could we have the same thing for SWTOR ?

The developers promised to have a group finder system for flashpoints ,but there are heroic quests outside and would require groups to do it. The server I was on was so dead that I would be lucky to find someone to clear the 'End of torvix' in blackhole once a week.

If any developer is reading this , not to urge you to implement this system right away , would you kindly discuss the idea of having cross server cities / zones for the less populated server with your team ?

I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that announcement today. I'm sure the devs are already looking at bringing that form of technology to SWTOR as well. :rak_03:

Seems to be lots of misinformation here. What the OP was talking about is a a few hours old announcement by Blizzard about cross server questing zones for WoW; not linked to phasing really. What it really does is "queue" you up for a group, much like the dungeon finder feature, and then moves the people from different servers to a cross server instance of the area where you want to quest. I doubt you'd have any say in which instance you go so there shouldn't be any lag problems. Basically, you queue for a flashpoint, but instead of a linear dungeon you get to go into an over world zone and do quests together.

Seems to be lots of misinformation here. What the OP was talking about is a a few hours old announcement by Blizzard about cross server questing zones for WoW; not linked to phasing really. What it really does is "queue" you up for a group, much like the dungeon finder feature, and then moves the people from different servers to a cross server instance of the area where you want to quest. I doubt you'd have any say in which instance you go so there shouldn't be any lag problems. Basically, you queue for a flashpoint, but instead of a linear dungeon you get to go into an over world zone and do quests together.

That is a genius idea

That is a genius idea

Sorry, but this technology is already an old hat - Funcom announced that a year ago and it´s already in upcoming TSW and later this summer it comes for AoC too. You don´t even select a server when you create a character, there is *only one* realm and player populations for instanced warzones (e.g. 100 vs. 100) get managed by a virtual server technolgoy.

In fact, TOR is generally lacking behind current technologies, not only server tech.

Sorry, but this technology is already an old hat - Funcom announced that a year ago and it´s already in upcoming TSW and later this summer it comes for AoC too.

In fact, TOR is generally lacking behind current technologies, not only server tech.

sooo it is not a genius idea? :confused:

sooo it is not a genius idea? :confused:

it´s absolutely genius, no doubt about it - but it´s just current technology, not some revolutionary new invention.

EvE was done that way since the beginning in 2003, all players exist in the same world.

I don't even know what to say... This should have been something near the top of the agenda for things to implement with release. The fact they thought it would be a good idea to release the game with "servers" shows just how out of touch they are with what "Revolutionary"

One potential hiccup is if you have open world objective based PvP... how do you handle 100k people wanting to defend Merlin's Staff? :eek: