Why I, a middle-aged male gamer, need this MMO.

Hatonastick

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah, Now we know it all.

WE are the "target" for them. So, all that whining, complaining about "dead servers", no end-game, no gear, no content, and no..whatever is ALL GONE.

Kids, go play another stuff.

But what is true here it is the realm that brought us to play the game. It is The Star Wars world and it is us, who are in 30-40 that REMEMBER the first movies and all things that actually dragged us into this WORLD or whatever it is.

Because those our children's dreams

Indeed, i do not feel ANY urgency or desire to have fancier clothes or more commendations.

I can understand that for all those kids is it nothing special and they are all about : give me this or give us that" and "i am quitting" because they DO NOT FEEL that.

Well, maybe not all of them, but seeing what they post here, the majority.

So, Up the oldies and long live the SWTOR!

woot, I just love star wars and bioware games more then...mmos in general. I need this mmo because the story allows me to have some really intersting avatars. We need more dialogue choices like true bioware games, not this dumbed down crap for people who can stand to listen to people talk.

Im with you on that but as this game goes...ruined it for me and i will never buy another biofailware game or ea after this one..Game is fun but the content is realy bad and not much to do once your lvl cap and realy who wants to grind for gear thats not much of an improvement from orange gear.

Seriously need to get rid of global CD's.

Just signing in to say hi all.

Reminiscing about when StarWars came out and just how EPIC it was.

Turning 46 and my maternal grandmother lived to 103, so I am in that middle age range, sort of :)

May the Force be with you all :)

Im with you on that but as this game goes...ruined it for me and i will never buy another biofailware game or ea after this one..Game is fun but the content is realy bad and not much to do once your lvl cap and realy who wants to grind for gear thats not much of an improvement from orange gear.

Seriously need to get rid of global CD's.

46 and yup same here!

Actually I cant blame TOR alone

After the ME2 debackle and the grossly insulting power point slap in face Christina Norman put out to passive all of us I swore off Bioware games (excluding TOR) and havent purchased one since.

Had high hopes for this game but they missed all the key marks and dont seem at all interested in hitting them anytime soon.

I heard a rumor that Paazaak and Swoop racing will be added to game in the first pay for expansion.

If thats true, ill never see that content, thats for sure.

This game needs a heart and soul, a thriving community and social experience but EAoware (lets be honest, Bioware dead and gone so why insult its memory by calling this version the old namesake) has said point blank its not on the forseeable future schedual.

And thats a real shame.

PS: and yes im so sick to death of fantasy setting. Not going to any MMO set in fantasy for at least another 10 years! Just completely burnt out on that setting.

I wont tell you how old I am but I have children the OPs age and I agree with him. My days of competing for highest DPS and being uber raider are over. I have RA and my hands are severely deformed from it among other ailments. Games like this allow me to just leisurely play and have fun. LOVE SWTOR.

M

HOLY SHT!

I mean no disrespect intended but if you have kids in their forties, you would be..............wow!

Cool as hell....Wish my grandmammy played MMOs.....how awesome would that be?

YO GRANNIE, HIT ME WITH A HEAL, I HAVE A SIN ON ME....................:)

37 here and play MMOs every day, but with regards to ToR, BW REALLLLLY dropped the ball imho. They opened up a million servers and created their Legacy system (which is really cool) that TIES the player to their server.

So rerolling to another server means TONS of lost work down the drain......really stupid BW, good job!

So now there are basically 2 good servers from what I've seen as of late, The Fatman and The Harbinger, though this may even change as The Harbinger lost it's Aussies so it's fading a bit.

Well, that's great, I feel like a dog chasing it's own tail, I kept rerolling in this game, chasing the peeps and am sick of rerolling, it's nuts.

MERGE THE SEVERS FFS.

37 here and play MMOs every day, but with regards to ToR, BW REALLLLLY dropped the ball imho.

I turned 40 last September, and could not agree more with this comment. I had every expectation that I would play this game for at least the next 5 years, but since it launched I've completely lost interest in it. The only reason I'm keeping my membership active is because my wife likes the game, and she's the only one I group up with now.

When you are male and young you enjoy running about shooting the hell out of things and blowing crap up in the latest FPS, but as you get older you find yourself slowing down and wanting a bit more out of your games so you get into MMO’s – next thing you know you are collecting 20 flowers for Twinkles the fairy so she can hold her tea party for all her happy-time friends and wondering where it all went wrong.

However SWTOR saves me from yet-another-generic-happy-time-fantasy-game and allows me to rediscover my youth (which of course is really important when you hit your 40's as a male -- especially when you can't afford a sports car) and relive those times of fast guns and loose grenades; all while playing a game my aging reflexes(*) can handle. :D

* Yeah ok, I might still regularly kick behind in an online action PvP game, but my reflexes are slowing down. Honest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's kinda of funny I remember when I was a teen playing an online game with + - * for graphics I met a guy who was 26 and was like OMG you are so old why are you playing games lol. Now i'm much older then that and still loving it. I think people that can hold on to fun have a much better life then others. So many of my friends has lost all touch with their fun side and just do what their wives consider fun haha. When I was a kid playing crappy games I used to tell my mom what I wanted to play and now I get to play them. I also still "TRY" to play FPS games" Going to get counterstrike Go when it comes out, it's cross platform where cpu players can play either xbox and ps3 players or one or the other not sure if both systems can play it or not.

My first mmo was ultima online. I still know a few people from that game and have met them in person. We could get together and probably talk for 10 hours straight and laugh about all the crazy stuff we did and fun times we had but todays games are so much of a grind so I think the real fun factor and laughs are far and few between. In Sw I mostly pvp with my guild which is social and fun but will anything or anyone time stand out? Nope.

Check out some youtube vids for archeage online. You have castle building, ship building, house building, large pvp battles, looks pretty fun and funny.

This is a great post! Im a 45 yr old female and LOVE THIS GAME! I used to make fun of my son playing WOW and get so mad when he would yell at me "Mom, ill be there when Im done battling this boss" :eek: ....Never dreamed I'd be yelling at him to quit bothering me while Im playing....lol!

Wish there were more people my age on my server...seems to be all youngins'.

Also new to gaming so Im always asking "what does that mean?" I know half the time they think their talking to a child...so fun learning though!

this topic is cracking me up.

my father's 57, he plays stuff such as call of duty religiously, and he is dead set on being 'too old' for this game. so I guess I don't get why 'shooting as much stuff as possible' is supposedly something for 'young males'. (that might aswell be because most people I know who enjoy fps - and are actually good at it - are actually female, but hey, what do I know...)

on a more related note though, my father is quite curious and I .know. he would love to actually try this game. he's hilarious at times.

Edited by amnie

As a middle-aged gamer, I too need this game...

It's a brilliant world to just drop all my troubles and have fun.

Story is great and I get to live out some childhood fantasies.

Also, I'd like to thank everyone for trying not to slag this game off. It was nice to read a thread where not every single response was about how rubbish this game is "because of x expectation I had and y entitlement which makes me believe I deserve it..."... There was a couple, but I put that down to forgetting their dementia medication for the day.

I, as a middle aged gamer, need more posts like this in these forums :i_tongue:

Edited by SlaveToTheWheel

37 here and play MMOs every day, but with regards to ToR, BW REALLLLLY dropped the ball imho. They opened up a million servers and created their Legacy system (which is really cool) that TIES the player to their server.

So rerolling to another server means TONS of lost work down the drain......really stupid BW, good job!

So now there are basically 2 good servers from what I've seen as of late, The Fatman and The Harbinger, though this may even change as The Harbinger lost it's Aussies so it's fading a bit.

Well, that's great, I feel like a dog chasing it's own tail, I kept rerolling in this game, chasing the peeps and am sick of rerolling, it's nuts.

MERGE THE SEVERS FFS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally agree. My buddy who finally got me to play had two level 50 chars before I started. They were all waiting for 1.2 and ranked battlegrounds and then hours before the patch they pulled the plug. Their whole guild basically does not play anymore because 1.2 was a total joke. I joined another guild and they folded 5 days later and all went back to wow. The only reason i'm still here is because I just hit 50 last week so the grind is semi fun for now to get some gear and smash some skulls but I really don't see where this game is going. The dungeons atleast to me seem boring, rift and wow had much better dungeon systems and much harder.

I can understand though because it's their first attempt at an mmo and maybe they will learn from thier mistakes on the next one. One big mess up is the netcode. I feel like I warped back 8 years. Maybe people are lag hacking sometimes not sure but you see people wiggle, can't hit them then they are 50 feet away.

Edited by lordPoozy

and.. I actually wonder why they intended to make it an MMO..

As RPG (with multiplayer option) it would cause much less complaints.

I basically do not care, whether it is MMO or whatever as long as I can play my story.

Im on harbinger and the numbers have dropped ALOT! I used to see 30+ on the fleet and at least 20+ on whatever planet Im on and now Im seeing 5-10 on fleet and 5-7 on the planet! If I didnt play with me son and boyfriend, I wouldnt have anyone to group with! I have 7 toons and have too much time invested to switch servers! Still love the game...would like to see more people on!

This game will weather the initial storm of short attention spans. Personally, I'm really excited to see what this game turns into 3-5 years down the road. For us older peeps.....we like to take our time learning.....soaking in...the great STAR WARS experience. Kinda hard though with half of everyone's guilds fleeing back to previous/new games. Therefore, someone should make a guild for us old-heads to reroll to and stick with. I'm 38.... played MMO's for 8 years...most enjoyable time I've experienced was with several people over 40 (some late 60s) fartin around learning new content together. Ya wipe 27 times and still have a blast.....and when you finally down it....you smile for days.

So, I'll reroll anywhere....this game is still brand new....gettin a little tired of reading jokes about gender specific parts...Looking For Guild comprised of people over 35 that wanna enjoy this here game.

I have to agree with some of the comments here. I'm 44 and playing this game for fun after work or when I've got some free time. I personally don't mind the downtimes as it should make a better game, but thats just me.

My first game was Atari's Space Invaders back in '77 followed by the ZX Specrum,BBC computer and the various consoles........a loooonnng time ago.

Playing WoW was good fun but I think this is better because of the story behind it ( saw the very first time at the pictures aged 9 and went wow for months after!!!) and wielding a light sabre (how cool!).

Long live the older generations!!!

There is a legacy, and there is a lot of shared benefits from having more than one character on a server. Why should i sacrifice a lot of time and effort and segregate the benefits of that for a populated server which still has the potential to change due to other unknown circumstances.

Can you guarantee that a server a person rerolls to is going to be populated? Realistically no one can, and therefore the best solution is to give people a chance to have character transfers even if they must pay for them as an option from the beginning.

By making it an option from the beginning as a pay option it would have helped a lot to make sure people who transfer confirm their decision with a costly transaction and also helping with the original problem of how population greatly affects the quality experience of this game.

They're adding in transfers as soon as they can, first in a targeted fashion to try to bolster up the populations of a few selected servers, then through paid transfers where people can go anywhere they wish.

You can either A) unsubscribe until they're ready, B) re-roll ONE new character on a more populated server so that you can enjoy the fruits of a populated server for now until the transfers are ready, or C) remain on your current server, enjoying all of the benefits of the legacy tree and apparently without enough players to make you happy in the game.

Your choice.

To the OP, I'm glad you found a great game. I was out of the gaming world for a spell and got back in around 2007, and have been looking for a solid game to play ever since. This one is mine, as well. Sure, it's got some drawbacks here and there. But BioWare is working on those issues and will eventually add enough in the gaps to fill out the game nicely. Until then... plenty of alts to pass the time. :)

I did start a guild in febuary for 40ish age group ,I started it on sith wyrnn east coast server it grew massive and has over 200 members ,but with connection issues I had to pass leader over ,I tried to recruit europeans since I'am from britain but bioware put my post as the US server specific thread ,I would have continued in that guild but bioware put the blocks on ,so I mooved to the red eclipse and want to try to find mature players to guld up with ,even starting a guild .I do have a thread but it has not had much feedback yet .

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=446881

If anyone knows an older guild on that server please let me know

46, female, Star Wars reminds me of my youth, Bioware was already one of my favourite gamemakers, I like MMO's (including the fantasy ones). You need a little patience to really enjoy this game, maybe that's why older gamers like it better.

Fellow old head here. You guys check out The Secret World yet? No fairies and they got plenty of guns.

Yes, regularly get a Templars email update and been watching it all carefully. Will be interesting as they are breaking the mould some and trying something new.