The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Diminishing Returns > Resolve System

Xandarous

The sheer endless amount of stuns in this game is the onliest thing i actually have to criticize. Otherwise PvP here is really enjoyable.

The current resolve system isn't preventing chain stuns , and they tend to happen every single fight. This isn't very enjoyable.

Resolve would do a way better job. I just wonder why BW isn't really noticing that, since they were doing a pretty good job in balancing out classes (at least in my oppinion).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sheer endless amount of stuns in this game is the onliest thing i actually have to criticize. Otherwise PvP here is really enjoyable.

The current resolve system isn't preventing chain stuns , and they tend to happen every single fight. This isn't very enjoyable.

Resolve would do a way better job. I just wonder why BW isn't really noticing that, since they were doing a pretty good job in balancing out classes (at least in my oppinion).

Can I again please for a link to MMORPG that do not allow 8 sec stuns?

Before I got "we talk about SW TOR, not other games here" - I know that. I just am not aware of existence of such MMORPG, ergo all MMORPGs, succesful or not, allow for at least 8 sec of being unable to act. I wonder were is this idea of "existence of system that prevents being stunned for 8 sec" came from.

2 stuns isn't really a "chain".

I do believe that with the current PvP environment it is far too easy to burn down a stunned player over the course of a stun or two, but on the flip side you do need to reward teamwork (i.e. focusing a threat and burning him as a team).

I know how the WoW system works. I know CC is separated into types. What I am saying is the HARD STUNS, aka the ones that do not break on damage, are what people and myself are complaining about.

The fact that you can be taking damage and not be able to do anything about for such a long period of time needs to change. Even the WoW system is not perfect. All CC should share a diminishing return, but that the fact is back to back stuns is just bad juju.

No, to all you have posted here, DR in wow is bad, resolve is much better, in wow there are tons of exceptions to the basics you just stated, like the hard stun on warr charge being completely of DR, or different fear effects that do not share DR etc.

Resolve is much better and simpler there are no exceptions, and you will never lose control as long as in wow, mages where able to shut down a player for 24 sec when I quit wow in dec last year, while still doing damage to another guy.

Pretty sure max stun duration in wow is 7seconds=4+2+1. That's with 3 stuns compared to 8 seconds in this game with 2 stuns. This game also has way more stuns then wow so stunlockig is much more prevalent and doesn't require a rogue.

There are just as many stuns in WoW. Some of them are even uncontrolled procs.

Half the stuns dont DR with the other half, either.

And while you can "only" spend 7 seconds stunned... you can then spend 8/4/2 seconds polymorphed, and then 8/4/2 seconds feared, then 4/2 seconds horrified.. and then another 7 seconds stunned.

DR is not the answer.

Let's not forget that there are specific classes that really rely on their hard stuns for certain abilities to be effective. As an example: a concealment operative's Acid Blade only works with either Hidden Strike or Backstab. Both abiliies require the operative to be behind there opponent. Operatives also don't have any gap closers of any sort either, so Debilitate is a crucial hard stun that lasts 4 seconds and does not break on damage. If you were to have the CC breaker reset every time someone dies, it would severely hinder operatives from being able to gain proper position on there target during any kind of extended fight outside of their initial opening sequence.

It's hard enough as it is for an operative to stay on a target with the knockbacks, force speed, etc. Don't take our main way of being able to effectively stay in a fight (Debilitate) by resetting the CC breaker after every death. That's a terrible idea.

Edited by Forceconduit

I think resolve works pretty well for 1v1, but in team play it starts failing badly.

-You get hit by a Stun that puts resolve on your bar.

- You get hit by a bunch of roots that don't even affect resolve.

- Approximately 9 seconds after the start of the stun, all the resolve from it disappears.

- Someone else hits you with a stun. Repeat.

With the new TTK this gets even worse because your CC break out ability is down for most fights. You can spend from 22-44% of your time stunned and not even fill your resolve bar.

IMO, the quick depreciation time on resolve is what has ultimately made classes like marauders and assassins (and to a lesser extent sorcerers and concealment ops) very powerful since the start of the game.

The stun system in this game is completely wack. Diminishing returns is the only system that prevents someone from getting chained over and over again.

I know people hate to compare...but World of Warcraft did it correct with the DR system.

Agreed.

Basic/Classic WoW Rogue combat flow during team fight situations under DR:

* [out of combat] - Sap 8 seconds - Sap 4 seconds - Sap 2 seconds + [combat] Cheap Shot 4 seconds - [Kidney Shot] 3 seconds ....

A total of 21 seconds spent under control, among them 7 seconds hard stun. This isn't even counting advanced combat management where the rogue player takes into account the DR reset timer, goes into Vanish and restarts the whole cycle.

Compare that to the simple rule of "two controls will give you immunity" in SWTOR, and the maximum duration of 8 seconds for back to back hard stuns, and then tell me DR makes more sense.

/closing argument

this never ever happens ever in teamplay or arena play, world pvp maybe but your exagerating immensly

Any system where you can be stunned for 8 seconds while taking damage sucks.

It sucks even more in the system, where people can cut 30% of your life just in 1 GCD hit, following by another -30% in next GCD and so on :)

this never ever happens ever in teamplay or arena play, world pvp maybe but your exagerating immensly

Youre right.

RMP (still, AFAIK, the top 3's comp) - the entire strategy is focused around making the fight a 2v3 for as long as possible. Sap, Stun, Stun, Poly, Poly, Poly, Fear, Stun, Stun (and its been a 2v3 the whole time, and now someone is dead).

It's worse in organized play. People who have a brain and know how to keybind and use a focus target can remove someone from the fight for an almost indefinite amount of time.

IMO, the quick depreciation time on resolve is what has ultimately made classes like marauders and assassins (and to a lesser extent sorcerers and concealment ops) very powerful since the start of the game.

Sorcerers and concealment ops are the two worst pvp classes in the game right now, Marauders having only one cc themselves would gain the most benefit from resolve decreasing slower, as it stands they're the only class in the game that can't fill your resolve bar.

Edited by Adzzy

Youre right.

RMP (still, AFAIK, the top 3's comp) - the entire strategy is focused around making the fight a 2v3 for as long as possible. Sap, Stun, Stun, Poly, Poly, Poly, Fear, Stun, Stun (and its been a 2v3 the whole time, and now someone is dead).

It's worse in organized play. People who have a brain and know how to keybind and use a focus target can remove someone from the fight for an almost indefinite amount of time.

RMP isn't the top comp right now. Its viable, but its not as strong as RLS or Ret/DK/Priest even with legendaries (at least in the US) and thats mostly because of smoke bomb or RNG crit based openers. In wow organized play, there are plenty of ways to stop cc chains or stop damage while one of your teammates is cced. This game simply doesn't offer that many ways to do that, but there aren't as many ccs available, especially spammable ccs.

The DR system would be a bad thing here, because the cc is so homogenized. It would be too hard to cc chain people, especially with long cooldowns on almost all 6-8 second ccs already and if all those ccs DRed with each other you would be looking at only a 10 or 11 second chain if they don't have break up or don't get dispelled (for example) on an awe + lift combo, compared to now when its a 14 second chain.

I can maybe understand stuns being on DR, but I would rather the cooldown on dispel be removed and most stuns be cleansable. Roots should probably DR. Snares are fine. There's no freedom in the game or bladestorm or the plethora of options to remove roots that there are in wow. I would prefer that all roots were cleansable also, but yeah they can't even make the debuffs in this game have different icons.

DR system is only necessary because most CCs in that other game have no cooldown. The only abilities DR would make sense for in this one are sleep dart/mind maze (or they can add cooldowns to them)

I said it before and I'll say it again, 99% of the complaints about resolve comes from players who think they should win 1v3.

Edited by anwg

Fear > Fear > Fear > polymorph > polymorph > polymorph > fear > fear > fear > polymorph > polymorph >polymorph.

Hope you hate the game because you are never playing it again. that was WoW PVP.

I would be fine with diminishing returns if all CC was in the same diminishing returns group though.

Its ridiculous because every class's CC/Stuns/Kockbacks seem to stack.. its worse than playing WoW and having 6 rogues on you or a pac healer in DAoC with a 45-60 second AoE mez...yea that was fun. Also fear in WoW has diminishing returns. I played a lock and after each fear the duration is shorter and after like 3 they wont work anymore. Edited by Dabrixmgp