Valis is not beatable @ 24

MichellMich

Just because you happen to be a really talented gamer does not mean you have to be insulting to players with less skill and experience. This is a difficult fight, and if you one shotted him at level 24 then congratulations on being a skillful gamer. But some people are not as gifted as you are and need some help without being made to feel like a fool for coming here. This is the elitist attitude that keeps most casual players from ever coming to the forums, and in some games makes players quit due to the hostile environment. Please don't make these forums go in that direction. It is only the first month of this game, and while some of the players have been in beta and pre-launch, some of us are just regular folk trying to enjoy an awesome game as a break from the stress of real life. We don't need your high handed judgement because we are not as elite as you.

Don't worry, the thing is most of these big talkers have nothing but gaming. They talk big about gaming because they have nothing else going in their lives. It helps them sleep at night to believe this is important and praise worthy.

For those that were actually helpful instead of condescending to the many casual gamers that are playing this MMO due to their love of Star Wars, thank you.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone forgets interrupts.

I beat immediately after turning 25. If you interrupt just a few of his casts, he's much easier, like any caster.

Don't force leap onto him, save it for when he throws you back. Then you can use it to interrupt.

I got this guy on my first attempt. I used my interrupts, spammed my cd's and had a strength stim - I was expected a hell of a fight because of what I had read. I do have two modable ls's and a chest and pants that are close to max, the rest of my gear is blue and green's. My companion had a modable ls and it was also close to maxed for lvl 24.

Don't give up, it's doable.

I'm just reporting what happened to me. This boss broke my Jedi Knight playthrough (you basically need a speeder on Tatooine.)

You don't have to beat him to get a speeder. Reboard your ship. Go to the fleet. Buy your speeder training and speeder. I bought my speeder training and speeder prior to this mission (but after it was given to me).

So, I'm one of the rookies that found this very difficult. Even with all the advice on here, I was still getting my tail handed to me. Here's what helped me.

For a fight like this, where I needed to rethink my normal strategy completely, I found myself getting lost in the buttons. So I scrolled up to my 3rd skill bar and emptied it of everything that I wouldn't use for this fight. I left the basic attack on 1, since my right mouse button defaults to that and I still wanted to hit him often. I skipped slots (left them empty) to make the abilities each stand out better. Cauterize is the only of my normal attacks (besides force leap) that I took into battle. I put force kick and force stasis next to each other so I could use whichever was ready. The first time through I used "Call on the Force" and tried this method. Lasted longer than ever before, but still died. Went without it the second time and won, by the skin of my teeth!

For some this is an easy fight, but some of us will have to start relearning the game at this point and minimizing the choices helped me ease into it. Hope it helps others too!

If you do all the side quests and group quests you will be atleast lvl 27 on Valis.

As a lvl 27 Sentinel fighting Valis I was greatly disappointed. I expected a tough fight but this Valis dude was rather weak. I only used kick once and jumped twice, he just died so fast from my burns. I didn't use Rebuke, I didn't even need to use Saber Ward or Call on Force. I ended the fight with 60% hp left and Kira on about 50%.

I was actually hoping for a greater challenge, disappoint :(

Edited by Vibeth

It's simple. Valis requires the player to interrupt. Beginners don't recognize this, and players aren't really taught how to interrupt as part of the game.

I don't even remember this fight, I presumably steamrolled past it. Because I have experience with MMOs. I would take this as a hint, though, that somewhere the game should tell you to use Force Kick.

I tried about four times, then on my fifth attempt I used stasis and kick to block his super moves and I won even though Kira died with Valis at about half hitpoints. Its not difficult if you interrupt. Edited by Kcawesomes

OHHHHHH MYYYYYYY GODDDDDDDDD.

Tried about 4 times now, each time, warded and interrupted, got him to 4% then BOOOM that blast just takes 40% HP.

I'm Lv23 and have i-gear upto 21.

QQing with my guardian.

inb4gravedig.

EDIT: 6 minutes later I kill him with 16% health left. Basically run like hell when he blasts or stand next to a wall.

Edited by Galfridian

It's simple. Valis requires the player to interrupt. Beginners don't recognize this, and players aren't really taught how to interrupt as part of the game.

I don't even remember this fight, I presumably steamrolled past it. Because I have experience with MMOs. I would take this as a hint, though, that somewhere the game should tell you to use Force Kick.

It's true. I finally beat him today. This is my first MMO and I play it like I play RPGs. Doesn't work. I had to use forc kick and stasis. Then it was actually quite easy. Alltough I only had like 10% strength left.

What the hell. Now I am on Tatooine and all dudes are like Valis. This is not fun anymore.

Yeah I noticed that too. I had trouble with the Twin sons slavemaster but the got the assassin guy first go. I've now run out of money after repairs to equipment

and have had to give up and go do easier tasks to get some cash for repairs and medpacs.

I did Valis at level 25 but it took me 10-12 goes at it. I had to have a bit of a rethink and the posts on this thread helped. One thing I am now thinking is that the lag in response between hitting the keyboard key and the action happening is one of the problems. Unless you hit the interupt the second it appears then you'll miss it.

I did Valis at level 25 but it took me 10-12 goes at it. I had to have a bit of a rethink and the posts on this thread helped. One thing I am now thinking is that the lag in response between hitting the keyboard key and the action happening is one of the problems. Unless you hit the interupt the second it appears then you'll miss it.

Yeah that's a huge annoyance, but that's an overall game problem not limited to just Sentinels.

Yeah I noticed that too. I had trouble with the Twin sons slavemaster but the got the assassin guy first go. I've now run out of money after repairs to equipment

and have had to give up and go do easier tasks to get some cash for repairs and medpacs.

Yeah i'm guessing this is my problem. I'm playing on a laptop and it gets pretty laggy at times and of course one of those times is when I'm fighting Valis. i'm trying to use my interrupts and i'm still getting absolutely destroyed. I'm a 25 sentinel and this whole interrupt thing is kinda ruining the game for me. I've never played an MMO in my life and literally the only reason i'm playing Old Republic is because I love Star Wars. i'm a huge RPG guy and i'm used to just straight up fighting. If every boss passed Valis is like this where you need to interrupt them i guess MMO's just aren't for me.

Maybe it will help if you try and anticipate when he's going to use an ability. He's not sneaky about it--as soon as the cooldown is over, he uses it. So if you get an idea how much time it takes for the cooldown to reset, you know how long it will be before he casts again.

I'm using a laptop too and reckon this is also part of the problem. It's a lot easier using a proper mouse which is what I used for the KOTOR games. I find that when I'm moving the mouse around and clicking at the same time I'm accidentally changing the persective. e.g. in one fight with Valis I was looking at it vertically because of accidentally sliding my finger on the touch pad and clicking at the same time. Maybe it's time to buy a mouse or another computer?

I'm using a laptop too and reckon this is also part of the problem. It's a lot easier using a proper mouse which is what I used for the KOTOR games. I find that when I'm moving the mouse around and clicking at the same time I'm accidentally changing the persective. e.g. in one fight with Valis I was looking at it vertically because of accidentally sliding my finger on the touch pad and clicking at the same time. Maybe it's time to buy a mouse or another computer?

I have normal mouse for my laptop. I always have and I'm not about to spend hundreds of dollars just so I can play a game. I may love star wars but i'm not that crazy

If you are using your mouse to activate your abilities, then that is your problem.

You only use your mouse to move and select targets. All abilities are activated through keyboard presses.

If you are a clicker, then you're doing it wrong.

can't remember if i said this in this thread but dont start with a force leap, instead save it for every time he knocks you back. your cd on force leap is the same as his knockback-->bigcastthatf--ksyouup

using leap after every knockback is basically the key to the fight.

Edited by Hyperionthethird

can't remember if i said this in this thread but dont start with a force leap, instead save it for every time he knocks you back. your cd on force leap is the same as his knockback-->bigcastthatf--ksyouup

He always pushed me far enough away that he wasn't in my range. and even if i stayed in his range the with the lag on my computer i always got there too late. Again not spending hundreds on this game not worth it

I may get lampooned for this but there is an alternate strategy for those (like me), who, despite the best advice (and this thread is full of good advice), aren't highly skilled or mmo vets and just couldn't beat the guy. Here's what I did: When you exit your ship DON'T immediately pass through the green field! Instead open up the LFG and be patient. Eventually someone else will come rushing through (in evening primetime I only waited a few minutes) into that staging area. I (at 26) and another guardian at 24 took our Kiras in and OWNED. Separately, we were equally lacking in skill, but together the fight was over before most of my cds cycled. Granted we had to kill him twice so we both got the mission cleared but it was milkrun both times with a buddy. Hope that helps some folks who like me just couldn't get the timing and was spending all your speeder money on repairs. Don't give up!

Doesn´t help, i know -but i had no issue killing him with my Guardian and Kira as Companion.

Be sure her saber ward is ready.

Let her jump in first with saber ward -wait a moment so it gives you some time for damage till you get the aggro.

If she gets too low on health taunt him.

Pop saber ward.

Pop Call on the Force.

Pop Saber Ward again.

Take a medpack.

Force stasis and Force kick to interrupt his supermoves.

Use Warding Call if specced Defense.

Almost all endbosses are a piece of cake like that.

And later you have even more interrupts.

No need to dump difficulty down.

For anyone having issue print out this guys post and tape it beside your computer monitor. It's the same tactic I came up with after a lot of trial and error.

Although I also use force push to interrupt as well. I don't recall what level you get push at though, I think it is around 30, so it isn't much help with Valis obviously.

Edited by timidobserver