Valis is not beatable @ 24

MichellMich

I actually ran into somebody outside of the instance that needed help killing him, so we ganged up on him. This worked really well...

Anyways, from then on, I've been willing to help anybody with these bosses. Playing a sent can be a little difficult, and I'm not a super experienced MMO player. Any help I can get is appreciated, and I'm always willing to help out.

Oddly, the hardest boss I've dealt with so far is the Sand Demon. I had a bit of trouble with Paven, but Nefarid went down like a punk with T7 tanking.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah this guy basically destroyed me, my fortune (goodbye speeder), my gear, and my entire Jedi Knight story (I'm a Sith Sorcerer now, and elite bosses aren't hard + I'm better at the game.) The other classes (EVERY other class outside warrior--if Bioware intended bosses to be this hard, why are only warriors complaining about the game's difficulty?) are quicker, easier, more seductive.

Died 20 times, still never beat him. Although I was such an incompetent I hadn't even trained some Sentinel abilities for most of those encounters. I'm not saying I'm not a newb or this guy isn't beatable.

I've never played a hotkey MMO, didn't quite understand interrupts (although I WAS using them, perhaps at the wrong time.) At least other classes have ranged interrupts, though, Valis forcepushes you across the room, you're out of range half the time.

I could have brought in a friend but they specifically put the encounter in an abandoned mining facility. Thanks, game.

I never died 20 times to anything in Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect or any of the RPGs I've played, and death there doesn't bankrupt you, at least. But since I never experienced a "suddenly impossible" boss in those games (or in any other class in this particular game,) basically those designers properly train players how to play their games, as you play. This quest boss just assumes you've played Warcraft for 150 hours.

They really should ease players into the boss strategy by letting us face weaker Sith (like a few guys half as powerful as this.) What do I know about interrupt timing? You can send Kira in first by pressing "control + 1"? Didn't know that before. I can taunt as a sentinel or only a Guardian? I still don't know. My poor Jedi character just sits there unplayed at the abandoned mining facility while my sorcerer is evilling it up.

K a jedi sentinel has more than enough skills to kill this elite boss.

i soloed it when i was lvl 22. n i had crappy gears. but i did it with kira. here's wat i did

-send kira in first to take aggro

-you jump in using "force leap"

-kick him(forgot the skill name) that disables the enemy from using the skill they're about to use for the next 4 secs or so. PS- doing this will make sure that the boss doesn't knock u back

-use ur skills with the most DPS or damage and use up skills tht help u build focus

-keep kicking the boss after its every cooldown. this boss knocks you back a lot so using this skill helps a ton here.

-use ur dmg reduction skills and keep attacking the boss, building up the focus and kicking at every cooldown.

-when ur hp is low, use a med to get your health back up.

-and keep repeating this till boss dies

If u do it this way, kira will die but you will also kill the boss and voila

i used this technique when i was lvl 22 with crap gears and i still killed this boss as a jedi sentinel. so it can be done ppl ><

<"-send kira in first to take aggro

-you jump in using "force leap"

-kick him(forgot the skill name) that disables the enemy from using the skill they're about to use for the next 4 secs or so. PS- doing this will make sure that the boss doesn't knock u back

-use ur skills with the most DPS or damage and use up skills tht help u build focus

-keep kicking the boss after its every cooldown. this boss knocks you back a lot so using this skill helps a ton here.

-use ur dmg reduction skills and keep attacking the boss, building up the focus and kicking at every cooldown.

-when ur hp is low, use a med to get your health back up.

-and keep repeating this till boss dies">

I was level 26, believe it or not, and Valis absolutely ended my Jedi Knight playthrough--I died 20 times, using an expensive medpack and repairing gear every time. The prospect of doing Tatooine without a speeder for a long time isn't fun for me now. My Sith Sorcerer has has no trouble with bosses, maybe me and Khem die one or twice. Everyone saying it's "easy" and they accidentally destroyed this guy at level 22, thanks for your input.

My experience, while dying a whole lot:

1)Fully upgraded gear Kira always took the aggro first (usually dying very fast.)

2)I always jumped in using force leap. I tried to use it and "zealous leap" whenever possible when force pushed away, but it didn't help. I usually had a surplus of focus which allowed me to hit him with my elite attacks when in range, but I rarely got him below 25% health even with "Call in the Force."

3)I almost always hit him with force kick and force stasis early-on and then later tried to randomly hit him with these interrupts, regardless of what he was doing, really (so maybe at the wrong time.) Didn't help, I still died.

Died 20 times, ended my playthrough (maybe I'll go back?) It's obviously easy if you have the skills, according to many--I didn't have the skills.

Darnnit guys. This game is great when it's hard. Please do not ruin it.

I've beat this several times, today at lvl 23, with Kira and myself undergeared and no call on the force. I only used a med peck and had no adrenals or stims.

It's absolutely doable.

I was Guardian, Vigilance spec. I had 30% health left after the fight. Yes he beat me the first time(call on the force was used on that one), but second time it really made me think.

Went into Soresu - guarded Kira, and tried to slowly burn him off while taking as little damage as possible. Between a sundering strike i had not upgraded since getting lvl 23, and force kick which I have both keymapped to my mouse button 4 and 5, I relied on my usual rotation.

Yes this game can be frustrating, but having tough fights is part of what makes the game fun. do not be discouraged. We as a player community are de-conditioned by games who give in too easy. Please, even if you play for story mainly like myself, take it as a challenge.

Dying is fun. change your attitude. believe that using your brain to beat challenges makes you smarter.

I'm just reporting what happened to me. This boss broke my Jedi Knight playthrough (you basically need a speeder on Tatooine.) The other classes don't seem to have difficulty spikes like this. If you see a "this game is too hard" thread, it is absolutely a Jedi or Sith warrior posting.

If you like challenge, fine, but I'd also like to point out--this guy DOES NOT GIVE YOU TIME to strategize, if you're an incompetent user of this class like me. He didn't give me time to learn. I'm sure if I went back now with all the advice in this thread I could kill him, of course.

If he had twice as much health and hit 1/2 as hard, maybe you could pick up on patterns, for instance, like which attack to interrupt. Like the bosses in the flashpoints are long-lasting enough when you go back for the third time, the strategy you need is obvious. They hit softly and have lots of health.

For me it was an insanely fast force-leap, interrupt, stasis, try to master strike, get pushed, zealous leap, kira's dead, pushed again, is my jump re-set yet? Just wasted a second now I'm doomed, now I'm dying, etc., over and over and over again, and I was level 26, two full levels higher than him.

Beat him on my second attempt at level 24 (I believe, it was a while ago). I didn't really do anything special that I hadn't done with other bosses. Basically all of the humanoid story bosses are not immune to stuns/disables, which makes them a cakewalk. At this point (mid 30's), I just use the same strategy on all of them. Send Kira in alone until she's about 20% HP, jump in and start hitting until I get aggro, or taunt if she is near death. Then I chain my stuns, basically avoiding all damage for a good period of time, usually Force Stasis, then Hilt Strike, then Force Push/Leap. By this time the thing is well on its way to death, and if it really wants to do a ton of damage to me I still have Saber Ward and Warding Call in case of emergency. Throughout the fight, use kick to interrupt cast bar skills as needed. Edited by vindianajones

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread. I'm a level 27 Sentinel and I'm still getting my head handed to me. Kira gets killed before I can do much. I think I've woefully neglected upgrading her armor. So, I'm going to step back and work on that for awhile.

I really wish I rolled a Sentinel. Guardian is no fun right now. Every boss takes multiple attempts. I already gave up on Lord Praven as a Tank.

Lord Praven took three tries at a yellow con while tank spec'd. All this complaining about these bosses is just silly. Use your cooldowns, rotate your interrupts and they are challenging (as they should be) and not at all impossible.

I will say since Praven I have downed every boss on first try as tank spec and that isn't always using Doc.

One problem may be the fact that you have a preset damage rotation rather than make the best rotation for the situation. The damage rotation on one boss is not always the same as a damage rotation on the others. I don't like the idea of damage rotations since I think it is far better to choose abilities that make sense in the moment. I play a Sentinel not a Guardian but with a Sentinel you don't know when a riposte proc is coming and it is a good ability to use when you can but it costs 3 focus. If you have a damage rotation preset you can't use riposte and continue with that rotation. You need to think on the fly about what you're going to do with that focus if a riposte proc comes. You need to have a plan for each and every focus. Not some damage rotation you use all the time.

This+back to box+interupt=score

Did it as a 23 vigilance first try.... had like 45 hp or summit, but had the force call left and I was missing force stasis wich would have been useful.

After taking a break from trying to beat him and level up a bit. I came back and he gut stuck in stasis position and I killed him without opposition after that. So glitch or no glitch, he is dead and Kira is my girlfriend. :D

hahaha thats how I felt when i killed him. Honestly, I killed him 2 levels early just so I could start the romance with Kira... It was a pain

I beat him at level 24. just make sure you have a decent health pack or it gets tricky. i have a sent.

Send Kira in first. after buffs.

Wait till the big knock back and he charges that big direct shock wave

Force leap before he gets it off.

Dps hard

When you see him prep for another attack force kick interupt

Dps hard

When you see him Prep again

Force Stasis.

If you can dps with DOT go for it and hit him hard with DPS

When you see him build up go for the interupt again force kick should be viable.

This worked untill my connection timed out and got booted. and had to start again. I was broke and armor was broken. But i still beat him at lvl 24 with a less elegant way. Lots and lots of running around in a circle to get away from his range

After taking a break from trying to beat him and level up a bit. I came back and he gut stuck in stasis position and I killed him without opposition after that. So glitch or no glitch, he is dead and Kira is my girlfriend. :D

This Strategy works realiably, although timing your force stasis just right to hit him the split second before his energy blast is tricky, but if you have about 30K credits you weren't going to use for that apeeder skill anyway, no big deal.

Also thanks to anyone on this thread suggesting you should use the force kick interrupt. Using a power with an 8 second cooldown, in order to give him a four second cooldown on his powers is good maths. That means he only gets one free attack for every one of your interrupts. Are any of you actually playing a Sentinel?

I just died on this fight.

Did the Revive Here option.

Ran back some distance to heal.

Then switched companions to T7.

Did the fight, kicked his ***.

Kira came on with the rest of the story and we went off to see the Jedi Council arm-in-arm like high school girls.

Well, I tried all the suggestions. Playing as a level 27 Sentinel. totally useless. I'm getting some sort of server glitch now where Kira attacks, everything pauses for a moment, Kira is dead and then I get one attack in before I'm dead.

I just did that about 10 times in a row.

I'm playing this game for the story. Challenge here and there is nice. Impossible to beat guy required to continue game sucks completely.

Nice to know someone else is having trouble with this one. I too am into it more for the story, and have been enjoying the level of challenge up till now, but this is a spike that's put me off my character a bit (gone to level up my IA for a change of pace :) ).

I first got the mission at level 23. I tried about half a dozen times till I ran out of money, then did the "extra" Taris content (good fun) and came back to Valis at lvl 25. Same deal, couldn't do it, trying all sorts of strategies.

When I get back to it, I'll try some of the strategies ppl have given above, that detailed advice a few posts back makes a lot of sense.

I appreciate the point about challenge, but while some great gamers may be able to take it in their stride, us lesser mortals have to have some way of circumventing a challenge that's just too hard for us - the only other option is levelling up till one is much higher level, but I suspect even if I were level 26 I'd still find it almost impossible.

It's a tricky problem trying to satisfy everyone. That's why I like "difficulty slider" solutions like in CoH, AoC, etc., then those who are more in it for the story can have the option of doing the combat at a lower level, so as to ensure getting through the story, while others (like me when I'm "in the saddle" with a toon sometimes) like to be able to crank the difficulty up.

Later Note: Actually, inspired by this thread, I fired up my JK Guardian again. Took me two goes, was actually quite easy on the second.

Soresu stance, Guard Kira, have Kira Force Leap in, put on her Saber Ward equivalent, Force Leap yourself to interrupt his next chargeup, maneuver yourself behind him so if the knockback happens you don't move too far, and then just apply Force Kick and Force Stasis and Force Leap when you see him charging up, and chipping away at him with your heavy hitters until he's done (liberally sprinkled with Sundering Strike and Riposte), popping the medpac when needed. If he can't get off too many of his fancy tricks, his healthbar isn't too much of a problem. I ended with about 40% health and Kira had only just gotten killed a moment before I killed him (with a most satisfying crit, it has to be said).

Appreciate all the advice above. I think my problem was in not realizing that Force Stasis can be rotated to good effect with Force Kick and Force Leap.

Edited by gurugeorge

OK, I don't want to pick on your in particular, but jesus christ.

I see a lot of threads about how difficult the sentinel class is, and how some of the quest bosses are unbeatable. Then someone comes in and literally posts a list that goes something like this:

1) Use your companion

2) Use your interrupts

3) Use your shields

And all of a sudden everyone is like "OH MY GOD I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT, THIS WORKED PERFECTLY, YOU ARE SO AMAZING".

Seriously? People have to be told that?

This game has some of the worst players in MMO history.

Don't be such a jerk. I've been a kick-tail tank for years and I still haven't figured out the animation keys/timing for half the interrupts. Which is the issue so many people have.

I know to use them, I just don't know what the appropriate animations are...

So, instead of being a self-righteous gamer, you could have explained the animations... But no... You just want to rub it in the face of others...

Don't be such a jerk. I've been a kick-tail tank for years and I still haven't figured out the animation keys/timing for half the interrupts. Which is the issue so many people have.

I know to use them, I just don't know what the appropriate animations are...

So, instead of being a self-righteous gamer, you could have explained the animations... But no... You just want to rub it in the face of others...

This is my first retail MMO experience as a tank. I did just fine, just mashing buttons and facerolling :)

The only lame thing about this thread are the poor, low self-esteem, self-riotous few who feel the need to say something like:

"gosh, people are having a difficult time with this? I beat him with all my armor off and my only companion was a small gerbil. People here are so lame!"

I too was having difficulty and getting frustrated until I found this thread and learned to use my interrupts. Thanks for the help.

DI